ADVERTISEMENT

Comment jay Phillips made yesterday

Wrong again, I have been a Gamecock fan for a long time. I was a Roundhouse member of The Gamecock club for several years. I have seen our football program mismanaged decade after decade. I have watched it crash repeatedly. Eventually I stopped being a simpleton fan, cheerleader, and started seeing things differently. I try to observe Gamecock football not as a fanatic, but the way it really is.

I hated the Muschamp hire. Why would someone hire a head coach that had just failed miserably at his previous head coaching job? It made no sense to me. Our program was set up for another crash, and this time I saw it coming years before it happened. I did not like the Beamer hire also. Why take such a huge risk on a man that has no head coaching experience? There were other, considerably less risky choices available. I am pulling for Beamer but I also realize the odds of success are not in his favor.

I have seen Coastal Carolina start a football program from scratch. In a little over a decade they moved to the FBS level. That is a quick rise from nothing. Coastal has become a nationally ranked team. They now are the top team in their conference. They have advanced rapidly, but they have earned this. I wondered, how have they come so far so fast? I looked at their low budget football program and compared it to ours. How many times in 15 years has Coastal's football program crashed? They have not experienced that kind of failure. South Carolina's football program has crashed 5 times just since we joined the SEC. I noticed the people making the football decisions at Coastal are football people. South Carolina for some crazy reason runs its football program much differently.
Hiring coaches are crap shoots. Look at the hot names at the time we hired Muschamp. Tom Herman -failed and got fired. Scott Frost- underwhelming and on the hot seat. I don't think because someone failed at a certain place that they can't learn, change and succeed somewhere else. It happens all the time in the business world. Muschamp, unfortunately, was convinced what he was doing would led to success and it didn't. Sometimes coaches catch lightening in a bottle. It happened at LSU with Coach O. Can you sustain? His seat is getting rather warm. I don't know if Beamer will succeed here or not. Time will tell. You certainly can't judge on 2 games. Coastal plays NO ONE and it's embarrassing to see them ranked at 16. Most SEC teams, including us, would run that table. Buffalo lol.

Reactions: chief2791
Hiring coaches are crap shoots. Look at the hot names at the time we hired Muschamp. Tom Herman -failed and got fired. Scott Frost- underwhelming and on the hot seat. I don't think because someone failed at a certain place that they can't learn, change and succeed somewhere else. It happens all the time in the business world. Muschamp, unfortunately, was convinced what he was doing would led to success and it didn't. Sometimes coaches catch lightening in a bottle. It happened at LSU with Coach O. Can you sustain? His seat is getting rather warm. I don't know if Beamer will succeed here or not. Time will tell. You certainly can't judge on 2 games. Coastal plays NO ONE and it's embarrassing to see them ranked at 16. Most SEC teams, including us, would run that table. Buffalo lol.
Coastal plays NO ONE and it's embarrassing to see them ranked at 16. Most SEC teams, including us, would run that table. Buffalo lol.

Last week with great difficulty and effort we defeated a mediocre G5 team. it took the last play of the game for us to achieve this win. I assume you watched the game. Explain to me why you think we after seeing us struggle against that G5 team, you think we would beat perhaps the second best G5 team in the nation.

Coastal plays NO ONE and it's embarrassing to see them ranked at 16. Most SEC teams, including us, would run that table. Buffalo lol.

Last week with great difficulty and effort we defeated a mediocre G5 team. it took the last play of the game for us to achieve this win. I assume you watched the game. Explain to me why you think we after seeing us struggle against that G5 team, you think we would beat perhaps the second best G5 team in the nation.
One thing for sure, you're not a Gamecock fan. Band wagon, maybe. We would roast coastal as would most p5 teams. Our last week's performance was the result of self inflicted mistakes. Not unusual for a new coaching staff but disappointing none the less. I'll cheer for my Gamecocks and you can go cheer for that mighty team in conway.

"Hiring coaches are crap shoots." That is true.

"I don't think because someone failed at a certain place that they can't learn, change and succeed somewhere else." I can think of two coaches (Gene Chizik and Ed Orgeron) that failed at one university, but won big later at another university. It was not because they suddenly became good coaches. It was because a world class quarterback joined their team, Joe Burrow and Cam Newton.

"Muschamp, unfortunately, was convinced what he was doing would led to success and it didn't."
He did the same thing here he did at Florida, crashed both programs. I wasn't surprised. I expected it.

"Coastal plays NO ONE and it's embarrassing to see them ranked at 16. Most SEC teams, including us, would run that table. Buffalo lol."
You say this after seeing us struggle the entire game to beat mediocre G5 East Carolina.

One thing for sure, you're not a Gamecock fan. Band wagon, maybe. We would roast coastal as would most p5 teams. Our last week's performance was the result of self inflicted mistakes. Not unusual for a new coaching staff but disappointing none the less. I'll cheer for my Gamecocks and you can go cheer for that mighty team in conway.
"One thing for sure, you're not a Gamecock fan. Band wagon, maybe"

I said in a previous post I have been a Gamecock fan for decades. So how do I prove this to you?
Let me show you the car I drive to Williams Brice for the games. It is garnet red with a black convertible top, and a Gamecock tag on the front bumper. I would never buy such a car if I was not truly a Gamecock fan.
I was like you, and most others on this message board for a long time. I couldn't see reality because of my Gamecock fandom. Our football program has been mismanaged for so long and it leaves me disgusted.

ruby.jpg

I said in a previous post I have been a Gamecock fan for decades. So how do I prove this to you?
Let me show you the car I drive to Williams Brice for the games. It is garnet red with a black convertible top, and a Gamecock tag on the front bumper. I would never buy such a car if I was not truly a Gamecock fan.
I was like you, and most others on this message board for a long time. I couldn't see reality because of my Gamecock fandom. Our football program has been mismanaged for so long and it leaves me disgusted.

ruby.jpg

ruby.jpg
lol at Coastal

It’s a Sun Belt program from Conway, SC that plays on teal turf in a stadium that could easily be confused for a high school venue. I pull for the little guys, but no one listens when they run their mouth. That tweet should’ve received zero attention from Carolina fans.
Trust me, that guy does not speak for Coastal as a whole. My daughter is there and a lot of them have a great deal of respect for Carolina. I have met the coaches at coastal as well and they are extremely nice and genuine great people. They speak very highly of Carolina and have great respect for Beamer. This barstool guy is not worth paying attention to

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
I would t go that far. That offense is tough to figure out. Gamecocks could run well against them but coastal makes big plays when needed many times. If we had played them last year as scheduled, Coastal would have won by 28-35 pts. Gamecock defense last year would have been embarrassed by Coastal. This year who knows but Coastal did beat some decent teams. Louisiana beat Iowa St last year and Coastal beat BYU and App St is always tough. Sun belt isn’t great after those three but those three can play and if you put them in ACC they all could end up middle of pack if not better

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
Wrong again, I have been a Gamecock fan for a long time. I was a Roundhouse member of The Gamecock club for several years. I have seen our football program mismanaged decade after decade. I have watched it crash repeatedly. Eventually I stopped being a simpleton fan, cheerleader, and started seeing things differently. I try to observe Gamecock football not as a fanatic, but the way it really is.

I hated the Muschamp hire. Why would someone hire a head coach that had just failed miserably at his previous head coaching job? It made no sense to me. Our program was set up for another crash, and this time I saw it coming years before it happened. I did not like the Beamer hire also. Why take such a huge risk on a man that has no head coaching experience? There were other, considerably less risky choices available. I am pulling for Beamer but I also realize the odds of success are not in his favor.

I have seen Coastal Carolina start a football program from scratch. In a little over a decade they moved to the FBS level. That is a quick rise from nothing. Coastal has become a nationally ranked team. They now are the top team in their conference. They have advanced rapidly, but they have earned this. I wondered, how have they come so far so fast? I looked at their low budget football program and compared it to ours. How many times in 15 years has Coastal's football program crashed? They have not experienced that kind of failure. South Carolina's football program has crashed 5 times just since we joined the SEC. I noticed the people making the football decisions at Coastal are football people. South Carolina for some crazy reason runs its football program much differently.

I am serious. You have convinced me. We should have never left the Southern Conference.

Lots of fans of mediocre P5 schools do not want to accept the fact that the very best G5 teams are better, but they are. Coastal's quarterback is better than any quarterback that has played here in several years. We just barely beat a mediocre G5 team last week. Coastal didn't have much trouble beating App State in 2020. In 2019 App State came to our house and beat us. Last season Coastal beat the team with the 2nd best quarterback in college football, Brigham Young. BYU finished 11-1 last year. Cincinnati came very close to beating Georgia in a New Years bowl game. Georgia beat us like a ragdoll last year. Put your thoughts about the best G5 teams not being able to compete aside, and watch Coastal or Cincinnati play. Then watch us play East Carolina. Believe what your eyes are seeing without letting your USC biased fan opinions deceive you. The Coastal Carolina football program is better managed than South Carolina's is. They have men with football minds making football decisions. Unfortunately, we are not doing that here.
We played ECU with a qb that was in his 3rd week on the team….not a true comparison

We played ECU with a qb that was in his 3rd week on the team….not a true comparison
Against East Carolina
Zeb completed 13 of 24 passes 52.4%, 1 touchdown pass, and 1 interception.

ECU quarterback Holton Ahlers, completed 11 of 24 passes 45.8%, no touchdowns, 2 interceptions.

Nothing outstanding about Zeb's stats, but they are better than the East Carolina quarterback stats.
Zeb was not the primary reason we struggled to beat East Carolina.

Coastal's former coach Joe Moglia, is executive director of football operations, and reports to university president, not the AD. South Carolina has a baseball man running the football program.

Ole Miss has a basketball man who was nothing but a fund raiser running their football program.
Seems to be going rather well.

Some of you all will realize AD's are not nearly as important as you make them out to be.
Our next AD will make similar hires with similar results. SOS ain't walking thru that door.

Ole Miss has a basketball man who was nothing but a fund raiser running their football program.
Seems to be going rather well.

Some of you all will realize AD's are not nearly as important as you make them out to be.
Our next AD will make similar hires with similar results. SOS ain't walking thru that door.
Ole Miss is not a good example. Their program since we have been in the SEC isn't much different from ours. Kiffin is their Spurrier.

Ole Miss is not a good example. Their program since we have been in the SEC isn't much different from ours. Kiffin is their Spurrier.
I wish we had a MNC like Ole Miss has (1960) plus multiple SEC championships

Lots of fans of mediocre P5 schools do not want to accept the fact that the very best G5 teams are better, but they are. Coastal's quarterback is better than any quarterback that has played here in several years. We just barely beat a mediocre G5 team last week. Coastal didn't have much trouble beating App State in 2020. In 2019 App State came to our house and beat us. Last season Coastal beat the team with the 2nd best quarterback in college football, Brigham Young. BYU finished 11-1 last year. Cincinnati came very close to beating Georgia in a New Years bowl game. Georgia beat us like a ragdoll last year. Put your thoughts about the best G5 teams not being able to compete aside, and watch Coastal or Cincinnati play. Then watch us play East Carolina. Believe what your eyes are seeing without letting your USC biased fan opinions deceive you. The Coastal Carolina football program is better managed than South Carolina's is. They have men with football minds making football decisions. Unfortunately, we are not doing that here.
Coastal and Cincinnati are on two completely different levels. UC is a legit good team that can compete with just about anyone in the country. Their game with Notre Dame in a couple weeks will be a good barometer and really interesting.

Coastal is a solid team, but nowhere near that level.

Against East Carolina
Zeb completed 13 of 24 passes 52.4%, 1 touchdown pass, and 1 interception.

ECU quarterback Holton Ahlers, completed 11 of 24 passes 45.8%, no touchdowns, 2 interceptions.

Nothing outstanding about Zeb's stats, but they are better than the East Carolina quarterback stats.
Zeb was not the primary reason we struggled to beat East Carolina.
ECU qb stats were primarily due to our defense. Convenient for you to leave that out.

You have your opinion but nothing else. Here is the latest Associated Press rankings. Notice there is no Kentucky, Missouri, or Tennessee on the list
AP Top 25
RankTeamRecordPoints (No. 1 votes)
1Alabama2-01,572 (60)
2Georgia2-01,514 (3)
3Oklahoma2-01,402
4Oregon2-01,355
5Iowa2-01,263
6Clemson1-11,246
7Texas A&M2-01,206
8Cincinnati2-01,149
9Ohio State1-11,029
10Penn State2-01,005
11Florida2-0935
12Notre Dame2-0926
13UCLA2-0804
14Iowa State1-1593
15Virginia Tech2-0591
16Coastal Carolina2-0562
17Ole Miss2-0550
18Wisconsin1-1499
19Arizona State2-0341
20Arkansas2-0277
21North Carolina1-1268
22Auburn2-0233
23BYU2-0213
24Miami1-1177
25Michigan2-0163
Wow, next thread I click on, there's another adolescent level post from this guy.

When you watch the game believe what your eyes see, not what you wish. Or you can be an eyes closed cheerleader. In the long run there will be more frustration if you go that route. I'm ok with starting off the Beamer era being at the level of ECU, as long as we show signs of improvement. Steady improvement, not necessarily every week, but month to month and year to year, that would be great.

Reactions: BlueCord86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT