ADVERTISEMENT

Covers better than the original

Thought they only be the 17 minute run on album……..they did produce/cut up the original for AM radio.
I wass 7 at the time it was released...so I am not sure. I got the album (along with a lot of other old psychedelic and classic rock albums) from my uncle when I was about 16.

Isley Bros cover of Summer Breeze(Seals & Croft) Eddie Hazel cover of I want You (Beatles) Earth Wind and Fire cover of Got to get you into my life(Beatles) Isley Bros cover of Sunshine go away(Jonathan Edwards) Etta James cover of I miss you(Rolling Stones) Classics all pull them up when you get a chance

Reactions: HeckSpawn
Folsom Prison Blues by Jamey Johnson at Brushy Mountain State Pen a few weeks ago. You can hear the sad regret in his voice and music. The original by Johnny Cash was a bit to fast for the blues. He also covered Ray Charles' Rainy night in Georgia. He is pretty good if you like Country

The King of covers may have to be Johnny Rivers

Memphis (Chuck Berry)
Mountain of Love (Harold Dorman)
Seventh Son (Willie Mabon)
Baby I Need Your Lovin ( 4 Tops)
Rockin Pneumonia and The Boogie Woogie Flu (The Clowns)
Swayin To The Music (Funky Kings)
Midnight Special

Reactions: rogue cock

Memphis (Chuck Berry)
Midnight Special
Interesting. Always thought it would be Pat Boone.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - performed by Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne & Prince. Well maybe not better but pretty darn close.
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - performed by Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne & Prince. Well maybe not better but pretty darn close.

Was going to post this also. Prince has an absolutely amazing guitar solo. When viewing this it reminds me of the statement made by Eric Clapton when he was asked how it feel to be the greatest living guitarist (a fews years ago now) He stated that he didn’t know because he is not Prince.

Green Day Working Class Hero cover of John Lennon song is real good.

Speaking of Clapton, “Tulsa Time” is a great cover. Meant to agree with the Nirvana Bowie cover - guitar is almost crying! Dave Clark 5 - showing my age - with “Do You Love Me?””Reeling and Rocking.”

"All Along the Watchtower" is probably the best cover. Also "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin is another good one.
Even Bob Dylan himself said that Jimi Hendrix did better with the song than he did.
"Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using."

Memphis (Chuck Berry)
Midnight Special
I will go ahead and say it since I don't think anyone else has mentioned him. The king of covers has to be the King himself since a vast majority of his 700+ recordings were previously done by others. In my opinion, Elvis performed many of them better than the original artist.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT