ADVERTISEMENT

Culture shock for Mcllwain.....

He'll be sure to get a one sided education if he majors in anything other than something stem related. That school could be described as a self proclaimed advancer of free speech or as an oppressor of anyone dissenting to the liberal group think. But ive never been there. So it's only my uninformed opinion. Unfortunately people who disagree with that may fail to understand their point of view is opinion also. Either way good luck
I used to live close enough to walk to the football games in Berkeley. It was liberal then but not batshit crazy as it is now.

First, there are all kinds of professors. In large universities, there are a lot more of the research oriented professors. Many small colleges are more teaching oriented. I believe that you mentioned in a prior thread some time ago that you teach history part time( adjunct) at the University of South Carolina.
Most students are not going to challenge a professor in class.
I'm not at a research university.

I can't think of any teachers that care about their students' political ideology. They will challenge students when they say something crazy or demonstrably false, but that's a good thing. Plus, if your construct of reality can't survive a few lectures by some nerd in tweed, well...

Either way, I hope BM rips it up out west. Bad timing here: no matter how good, he wasn't going to win out against a once in a generation (hopefully) player like Bentley.

I can't think of any teachers that care about their students' political ideology. They will challenge students when they say something crazy or demonstrably false, but that's a good thing. Plus, if your construct of reality can't survive a few lectures by some nerd in tweed, well...

Either way, I hope BM rips it up out west. Bad timing here: no matter how good, he wasn't going to win out against a once in a generation (hopefully) player like Bentley.
I'm pulling for him too.

The only way BM would have gotten to start would have been if Jake got hurt. And in the SEC or any league for that matter it could happen at anytime.

A number of years ago a friend and I watched USC play Arkansas at WB. The Razorbacks lost their starting QB and their 2nd string QB for the remainder of the season in that game.

Reactions: pisgah
It helps young people, frankly all people, to be exposed to other ways of thinking. Doesn't mean they are going to be "converted". Being challenged should be a part of any good education. I feel bad for the kids who go to places like Liberty University who get almost zero diversity of thought. I also feel bad for folks who get all their news from the Fox Ministry of Truth.

I'd prefer for the young adults I know to "take their chances" with wonderful unversities like a Liberty U, Anderson U, or North Greenville U any day of the week. There is plenty "diversity of thought". Thought and idealogy with Biblical teaching as the focus, vs. immortality and "progress" (which is usually very anti-Biblical and eventually self-damaging or self defeating.)

To each his own. Just don't discount "my own". I have a daughter who chose Anderson U. A son who chose North Greenville U. And, have done life with several wonderful young adults who are very diverse "free thinkers", yet graduated or are attending Liberty U.

Last edited:
I'd prefer for the young adults I know to "take their chances" with wonderful unversities like a Liberty U, Anderson U, or North Greenville U any day of the week. There is plenty "diversity of thought". Thought and idealogy with Biblical teaching as the focus, vs. immortality and "progress" (which is usually very anti-Biblical and eventually self-damaging or self defeating.)

To each his own. Just don't discount "my own". I have a daughter who chose Anderson U. A son who chose North Greenville U. And, have done life with several wonderful young adults who are very diverse "free thinkers", yet graduated or are attending Liberty U.
I agree, Rooster Louie. Those are excellent colleges and universities you mentioned.

Reactions: Rooster Louie
Not sure why people expect college kids today to make more mature decisions than they would have 30-40 years ago. We obviously want them to, but be real this is a learning experience for them...a time to be different. Besides hard to get a better education than one you'll receive at Cal-Berkeley.

And I doubt your "old man" has told you everything about his years at Carolina. Lord knows, I wouldn't.
I don't think you received the memo, but education is a bad thing these days. Best to steer our future generations away from it.

Reactions: rogue cock
It helps young people, frankly all people, to be exposed to other ways of thinking. Doesn't mean they are going to be "converted". Being challenged should be a part of any good education. I feel bad for the kids who go to places like Liberty University who get almost zero diversity of thought. I also feel bad for folks who get all their news from the Fox Ministry of Truth.

Is there a chance that a student is going to be exposed to more "diverse" thinking at UC Berkeley than at Liberty? They are just monolithic thinking from different sides of the political spectrum. My guess is that you expose yourself to very little conservative philosophy. The barb about Fox News is telling. Fox News is the only place where there are legitimate debates between liberals and conservatives.

Is there a chance that a student is going to be exposed to more "diverse" thinking at UC Berkeley than at Liberty? They are just monolithic thinking from different sides of the political spectrum. My guess is that you expose yourself to very little conservative philosophy. The barb about Fox News is telling. Fox News is the only place where there are legitimate debates between liberals and conservatives.
I think there is a 100% chance a student living in Berkeley, CA, attending one of the best academic universities in the country is going to be exposed to more diverse avenues of thought than a student living in Lynchburg, VA, attending a school started by Jerry Falwell. I think you'd have to be blind to see it any other way. Feel free to hate on California all you want, but don't let it cloud your judgement.

I think there is a 100% chance a student living in Berkeley, CA, attending one of the best academic universities in the country is going to be exposed to more diverse avenues of thought than a student living in Lynchburg, VA, attending a school started by Jerry Falwell. I think you'd have to be blind to see it any other way. Feel free to hate on California all you want, but don't let it cloud your judgement.

Really? Since they won't allow any one with a conservative viewpoint to even be a guest speaker on campus I'd say you'd have a hard time getting a classroom environment that tolerated let alone espoused conservative thinking. Liberals love diversity as long as it agrees with Liberal orthodoxy. You can hate on Christians all you want Sulayman, just don't let it cloud your judgement.

Hey this is a sports forum right ??? Must be missing something . Last time I checked Cal was one of the top educational schools in the country . I hope Brandon goes out there and crushes it on the field . He was a great kid , never had anything bad to say about his team, his coaches, or USC . His baseball coach here is obviously an idiot and he was put in a no win situation at QB and it didn't work out . Jake is the better player so he accepted it and moved on to pursue his own dream . I wish him well and don't play him at all for his decision .

Really? Since they won't allow any one with a conservative viewpoint to even be a guest speaker on campus I'd say you'd have a hard time getting a classroom environment that tolerated let alone espoused conservative thinking. Liberals love diversity as long as it agrees with Liberal orthodoxy. You can hate on Christians all you want Sulayman, just don't let it cloud your judgement.
I'm not hating on Christians. I just have common sense. I went to school at Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC. I'm certain I had less outlet to diverse areas of thought than even students at USC. That's just how it is. As far as the conservative speaker shutdown, I have been on record saying I think that is unfortunate; however, I think safety was the main concern. There is a faction of violent protesters in Berkeley, unfortunately, who do not believe in free speech and have shown they are willing to be violent to stop it. I think that is terrible. I guess Auburn is a thuggish, liberal university, also, for cancelling Richard Spencer.

I would rather see these people allowed to speak, but I understand the safety concerns. I hope there is a way to find some common ground in the future.

I'd bet there are more liberals at Liberty than there are conservatives at UC Berkeley. UC Berkeley is one of the top colleges in the country...no arguing that. But diversity doesn't come to mind.

Yes, there is no diversity in a school of 40,000 students in the SF Bay Area of one of the most diverse states in the nation. Every one of them are Pelosi clones, I'm sure.

Reactions: okccock
I'd bet there are more liberals at Liberty than there are conservatives at UC Berkeley. UC Berkeley is one of the top colleges in the country...no arguing that. But diversity doesn't come to mind.

Either way, I'd bet hard earned money the "progressive, forward thinking" folks at Liberty are treated much better (more fairly, with tolerance, with unconditional love, etc) than "the deplorables" at UC Berkeley encounters and witnesses from the Berkeley students and faculty.

Okay, I was talking about diverse avenues of thought, in general. You guys are clearly tunneled in on two competing ideologies. Carry on my wayward sons. The world is simply black and white.

Reactions: rogue cock
I'm not hating on Christians. I just have common sense. I went to school at Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC. I'm certain I had less outlet to diverse areas of thought than even students at USC. That's just how it is. As far as the conservative speaker shutdown, I have been on record saying I think that is unfortunate; however, I think safety was the main concern. There is a faction of violent protesters in Berkeley, unfortunately, who do not believe in free speech and have shown they are willing to be violent to stop it. I think that is terrible. I guess Auburn is a thuggish, liberal university, also, for cancelling Richard Spencer.

I would rather see these people allowed to speak, but I understand the safety concerns. I hope there is a way to find some common ground in the future.[

Yes, there is no diversity in a school of 40,000 students in the SF Bay Area of one of the most diverse states in the nation. Every one of them are Pelosi clones, I'm sure.
No one is saying there is no diversity.

No if you had "common sense" you wouldn't be making the preposterous assertion that you're likely to find diversity of thought in a Berkeley classroom. You also wouldn't be parroting that: It's mostly about safety concerns that they won't allow conservatives to speak. That is pure bs.

Unfortunately it's not just California, most major Universities are staffed with liberals. The extent that some of these places have gone to extinguish free speech is appalling.

Sulayman,
So you went to PC. I went to Wofford, very similar colleges. May I ask when you were there?

No one is saying there is no diversity.

You have to understand what Sulayman means when he says diverse. Diverse means liberals from every race, and culture. Since that bastion of diverse thought San Francisco County has a whopping 9% of the electorate registered as Republican. The citizenry isn't clones of Pelosi, but they are certainly in lockstep.

Sulayman,
So you went to PC. I went to Wofford, very similar colleges. May I ask when you were there?
Sure. I was there from 94-98. I had a good time and got a good education. I sometimes wonder what if about going somewhere with larger enrollment, in a bigger city with a more diverse population, but I wouldn't trade the experience. I still have some great friends from there.

Sure. I was there from 94-98. I had a good time and got a good education. I sometimes wonder what if about going somewhere with larger enrollment, in a bigger city with a more diverse population, but I wouldn't trade the experience. I still have some great friends from there.
I was at Wofford from 67-71.

No, that is intolerance, and it sucks. That said, I give you EVERY TRUMP SUPPORTER EVER. They are all exactly like the guy on this message. Every single one of them. Right?

NOT SAFE FOR WORK.

If "Intolerance is evidence of impotence" as Aleister Crowley once said, we have a whole lot of people, both conservative and liberal, who are in dire need of "little blue pills."

It helps young people, frankly all people, to be exposed to other ways of thinking. Doesn't mean they are going to be "converted". Being challenged should be a part of any good education.

I have a feeling left-leaning students won't be challenged or exposed to other ways of thinking at schools like Cal-Berkeley.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT