ADVERTISEMENT

Culture shock for Mcllwain.....

For starters, less government.
You may want to check their professors...they are from all schools of thought, especially in economics and government....which is one reason Cal-Berkeley is so highly thought of. Their reputation in engineering and the sciences is also top notch....not sure how "conservative" or "liberal" would apply their.

For starters, less government and less dependency on the government.
How do you teach less government? Serious question. That sounds like indoctrination to me which is what I thought we wanted to avoid in college, no?

I'd bet there are more liberals at Liberty than there are conservatives at UC Berkeley. UC Berkeley is one of the top colleges in the country...no arguing that. But diversity doesn't come to mind.

As someone who has worked with both universities on international projects, you are wrong. Cal has more than a few conservatives there. there are a dozen Republican/conservative/conservative religious groups at the Cal campus. While 58% of the student body there defines themselves as liberal, the rest define themselves as moderates or conservative or libertarian. More than 16% define themselves as Republican. While the liberal voice drowns out the rest and their antics get the headlines, there are more than a few conservative voices at Berkeley.

As someone who has worked with both universities on international projects, you are wrong. Cal has more than a few conservatives there. there are a dozen Republican/conservative/conservative religious groups at the Cal campus. While 58% of the student body there defines themselves as liberal, the rest define themselves as moderates or conservative or libertarian. More than 16% define themselves as Republican. While the liberal voice drowns out the rest and their antics get the headlines, there are more than a few conservative voices at Berkeley.
While I applaud this post, I think it bears repeating that we were originally talking about diversity of thought. Diversity of thought is a whole different bag than whether you lean left or right or demographic stats on who voted for which one of 2 horrible candidates. Pigeonholing people as 100% this or 100% that is the overly simplistic, easy out used to justify a point of view that one has no interest in having challenged.

That said, thank you for the affirmation that Berkeley is not the Sodom and Gomorrah it's made out to be by the open-minded and diverse crew on FGF.

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
How do you teach less government? Serious question. That sounds like indoctrination to me which is what I thought we wanted to avoid in college, no?
I meant teaching the "idea" of conservatism. I didn't say put a gun to their heads to accept conservatism. They won't even allow a conservative to speak on their campus without rioting. How is that allowing free speech?

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah
I meant teaching the "idea" of conservatism. I didn't say put a gun to their heads and accept conservatism. They won't even allow a conservative to speak on their campus without rioting. How is that allowing free speech?
That is a small group of people rioting, at a school of about 40,000 in a densely populated part of the country, which is wholly different than the administration of the school. They did shut down subsequent speakers when they feared it would happen again. That is too bad, but I understand the safety concerns. Auburn did the same thing.

Are you sure conservative ideology is not taught at Berkeley? Is it banned from all PolySci syllabi? I don't know but would find that to be a surprise.

While I applaud this post, I think it bears repeating that we were originally talking about diversity of thought. Diversity of thought is a whole different bag than whether you lean left or right or demographic stats on who voted for which one of 2 horrible candidates. Pigeonholing people as 100% this or 100% that is the overly simplistic, easy out used to justify a point of view that one has no interest in having challenged.

That said, thank you for the affirmation that Berkeley is not the Sodom and Gomorrah it's made out to be by the open-minded and diverse minds on FGF.

While I have spent more time on the Cal campus than on the Liberty campus as my involvement with Liberty is only a couple of months old, by and large the kids on both campuses are by and large very nice. Because the hiring placement out of Cal is one the highest in the country, you get a lot of kids who apply there regardless of ideology. They want jobs and Cal gets people hired. My feeling is that the Cal student body is less homogenous than Liberty.

Surprisingly, that has not come up at the water cooler yet.
Calexit.... oh it's out there. :) This pushes a stereotype that California is completely clueless about the rest of the country and how they are their own crazy world. It's fun to talk about California's economy and how large it is but it is extremely pathetic gdp is 11th compared to the rest of the country.

http://bfy.tw/8gPm

I heard Brandon is a huge liberal and wanted a more progressive education. I heard that was his main motivation for transferring, not the prospect of playing

There is a guy that likes to complain about bike lane infrastructure in our local paper along with other "unnecessary" public projects and he is an attorney. I looked up where he went to school - he has two degrees from Cal-Berkeley. He is a Republican.

Reactions: Sulayman
That is a small group of people rioting, at a school of about 40,000 in a densely populated part of the country, which is wholly different than the administration of the school. They did shut down subsequent speakers when they feared it would happen again. That is too bad, but I understand the safety concerns. Auburn did the same thing.

Are you sure conservative ideology is not taught at Berkeley? Is it banned from all PolySci syllabi? I don't know but would find that to be a surprise.
Small group? Looks like a ton. You asked how you teach conservative values because it was indoctrinating. I gave you an answer.

Horsehockey. Out of 1200 organizations on campus 2 are Republican. The other stats are made up as well.

I didn't even know UCB had a football team or is he just playing baseball. When you end up at UCB you didn't have many options IMO. I hope it works out for him and his mom.

I didn't even know UCB had a football team or is he just playing baseball. When you end up at UCB you didn't have many options IMO. I hope it works out for him and his mom.
Yeah, you know them. They have a gold "Cal" in script on dark blue helmets.
calreplicaxp.jpg

Cal definitely has a football team which has put many players in the NFL: Aaron Rodgers, Marshawn Lynch, Keenan Allen, Jared Goff, Desean Jackson, etc.

Reactions: Sulayman
#1 pick in the NFL draft last year and Aaron Rodgers played there.

Doubt any.....but I do remember Kent State, Selma and the Chicago police outside the DNC. Neither side has a pretty history when it comes to protests or quelling protests.
Touche' but it's Ayers and his wife Bernadine Dohrn who were behind a lot of this rioting and protests. Police officers were also killed in the blast not many conservatives are terrorist or want to overthrow the gov. Also it's the Ayers type professors at UCB etc. that promote this and hide under their desk. And Go Cocks....LOL

Touche' but it's Ayers and his wife Bernadine Dohrn who were behind a lot of this rioting and protests. Police officers were also killed in the blast not many conservatives are terrorist or want to overthrow the gov. Also it's the Ayers type professors at UCB etc. that promote this and hide under their desk. And Go Cocks....LOL
Doubt any.....but I do remember Kent State, Selma and the Chicago police outside the DNC. Neither side has a pretty history when it comes to protests or quelling protests.

Conservatives have to take the blame for Richard Daley in Chicago now? That's a bit of a stretch.

When did teaching kids to riot instead sitting down like adults and use intellect instead of mob rule become good education?

And what conservative principles would you like one to be exposed to in college?

Well, for one, I'd like them to be exposed to the idea that if there is a speaker at your school with whom you disagree, go listen to that speaker and debate him. Don't protest and lobby the administration to cancel the event.

Actually, your question itself is inaccurate. I don't want them to be "exposed" to any "conservative" principles. I want their own opinions challenged, from any angle. Doesn't matter if it's conservative or not.

It seems to me the libs have always been the ones so concerned about free speech, violence, and world peace, and yet they are the ones who resort to protests and threats of violence when anyone opposes them or they lose an election. It's so laughable.

I'm not hating on Christians. I just have common sense. I went to school at Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC. I'm certain I had less outlet to diverse areas of thought than even students at USC. That's just how it is. As far as the conservative speaker shutdown, I have been on record saying I think that is unfortunate; however, I think safety was the main concern. There is a faction of violent protesters in Berkeley, unfortunately, who do not believe in free speech and have shown they are willing to be violent to stop it. I think that is terrible. I guess Auburn is a thuggish, liberal university, also, for cancelling Richard Spencer.

I would rather see these people allowed to speak, but I understand the safety concerns. I hope there is a way to find some common ground in the future.

By cancelling an event you reward those who threaten violence. The only way to put that down is to take them on. Do you think any college or university would cancel a liberal event? I'd like to see the day a Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton event was cancelled because of violent threats made by conservative groups. That will never happen. It's the libs who are the party of violence not the conservatives.

It helps young people, frankly all people, to be exposed to other ways of thinking. Doesn't mean they are going to be "converted". Being challenged should be a part of any good education. I feel bad for the kids who go to places like Liberty University who get almost zero diversity of thought. I also feel bad for folks who get all their news from the Fox Ministry of Truth.

You want zero diversity??? Go to UCSC....

Like minded liberals live in trees and protest that Rosa Park Hall needs an african color and black students should get reduced or free hosing...

Well, for one, I'd like them to be exposed to the idea that if there is a speaker at your school with whom you disagree, go listen to that speaker and debate him. Don't protest and lobby the administration to cancel the event.

Actually, your question itself is inaccurate. I don't want them to be "exposed" to any "conservative" principles. I want their own opinions challenged, from any angle. Doesn't matter if it's conservative or not.

You're taking very few extreme incidents and interpreting that as the norm.

You're speaking in really broad terms.

Universities absolutely embrace debate. That's what happens when people are exposed to different ideas. Being outspoken and protesting is not something administrations will change.

Reactions: rogue cock
Conservatives have to take the blame for Richard Daley in Chicago now? That's a bit of a stretch.
Daley was pretty much law and order. But fine, how about some of the Southern sheriff departments throughout the deep south...or someone a little more contemporary, Timothy McVeigh. Conservatives have had their share...just like the liberals did with SDS and still do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT