ADVERTISEMENT

Cumulus Changes Could be Bad News for Gamecock Fans 107.5

Brent Johnson probably resigned because corporate asked him to take a big cut in pay. After 27 years, no less, and cutting him before he reached 30 years on the job. I have no way of knowing this is true. But you can see the writing on the wall with his amateur replacement on B-106.7. Watch out, Jodi, Tony, Tim, Bill, Pearson, Jay, Tommy, Heath, Benji.

I can’t frigging stand Jay. Every time he mentions “I got kids y’all” and “I harken back” I want to throw my damn radio across the room. He tries so hard to remind people of how “southern” he is. Mix that with Tommy’s lip smacking and old man noises and 10 minutes into it I’m changing the channel.
LOL...hilarious post!

Reactions: USCRBCOCK
Not so sure that radio, as we have know it, isn't about to follow the same path of newspapers that are struggling in this age. Many folks listen to podcasts these days, and the days of the younger crowd listening for hours to hear their favorite song are over as they no doubt can play a list of every song they want on their phone with no interruptions. This may just be the first sign of the changing media world having an effect on radio.

Count me among the folks that are gonna take Heath’s word over yours

Then you dont know how big business works. Corporate rarely tells employees in advance that they are going to be let go. Especially in a business like radio where a host knowing he is being let go could go on air on his last day and have an epic rant against the station.

Heath has no idea what cumulus plans to do. No one does

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Then you dont know how big business works. Corporate rarely tells employees in advance that they are going to be let go. Especially in a business like radio where a host knowing he is being let go could go on air on his last day and have an epic rant against the station.

Sorry, it just comes off ridiculous when Heath Cline himself weighs into the topic and you dispute him. It's like here's a topic about 107.5, let's hear from an actual employee of the station? Nah, what can he possibly know

In all fairness, you have no way of knowing what Heath has/has not been told, and what he may/may not know about the plans. Unless YOU are Cumulus corporate.

Reactions: Slotreceiver
Sorry, it just comes off ridiculous when Heath Cline himself weighs into the topic and you dispute him. It's like here's a topic about 107.5, let's hear from an actual employee of the station? Nah, what can he possibly know

Heath makes no decisions on anything other than his show. Use common sense. How would an on air talent know if layoffs from upper level management are being ordered? Brent Johnson didnt leave for the heck of it

Reactions: Gaimcock
Heath makes no decisions on anything other than his show. Use common sense. How would an on air talent know if layoffs from upper level management are being ordered? Brent Johnson didnt leave for the heck of it
Consider the situation from my standpoint. Heath Cline is an employee of the station and considered well-informed. And you are?

Despite having no idea who I talk to in our building or corporate structure you appear to think I have no idea what the plans were or are. You also seem to think that I have not discussed this with Brent. That’s a curious set of assumptions, but if something happens soon you’re welcome to hit me with a “told you so”.

This is true. I’ve tuned in to various stations over the years to learn that my favorite host found out the day before he/she had lost a job and had no idea.

radio is cut throat. They fire you all of a sudden, no warning, it’s the nature of the business.

heath Cline thinks he knows. the truth is he has no idea.

No disrespect intended but I don’t care who you know or have talked to. It’s irrelevant.

As we all know, radio is a rough business. It’s a business with a VERY LONG history of sudden firings, sudden format changes, sudden corporate decisions that leave employees wondering how they got run over by a train.

The list of hosts, some very popular, that were fired without notice (and not having any idea it was coming) is a very long one. That isn’t specific to just Columbia. (although it’s very true here over the last 30 years). It’s just the nature of the business.

I hope it doesn’t happen to you.

Despite having no idea who I talk to in our building or corporate structure you appear to think I have no idea what the plans were or are. You also seem to think that I have not discussed this with Brent. That’s a curious set of assumptions, but if something happens soon you’re welcome to hit me with a “told you so”.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
It’s irrelevant.

The radio business has a long and storied history of totally blindsiding employees, especially on air talent.

In all fairness, you have no way of knowing what Heath has/has not been told, and what he may/may not know about the plans. Unless YOU are Cumulus corporate.

Heath the industry has seen some really good local talent in markets all over the country lose jobs. You likely work hard, but none of that matters. You may know the entire corporate infrastructure but that is meaningless. It is a dying industry, you cant be that arrogant to think you know what will happen

You also cant get so upset over this discussion . I believe most have wished you well and o one has said they hope u lose a job. This is just fans discussing the business

I can’t frigging stand Jay. Every time he mentions “I got kids y’all” and “I harken back” I want to throw my damn radio across the room. He tries so hard to remind people of how “southern” he is. Mix that with Tommy’s lip smacking and old man noises and 10 minutes into it I’m changing the channel.
Ha Ha! Maybe JC will hire them as anonymous sources for the locked on the GC podcast.

Heath the industry has seen some really good local talent in markets all over the country lose jobs. You likely work hard, but none of that matters. You may know the entire corporate infrastructure but that is meaningless. It is a dying industry, you cant be that arrogant to think you know what will happen

You also cant get so upset over this discussion . I believe most have wished you well and o one has said they hope u lose a job. This is just fans discussing the business

I’m not upset. I am, however, going to do what I can to clear up speculation that I know is incorrect for those who do listen to us. This is the last I will say on this here, because there’s no point in going on and on about it. If any of you choose choose not to believe me in favor of others, so be it, but rather than get concerned listener emails or tweets one at a time I felt it would be more useful to state the facts here. Folks are welcome to say any opinion they want about me or my colleagues work - that is exactly what boards like this are for and I wouldn’t expect anything else.

I will however gladly accept any wagers on what happens next. If anyone wishes to bet that one of our 3 primary shows is altered between now and the end of November (since Brent supposedly left in early August because of these supposed imminent big changes to 107.5, that seems like long enough to determine a winner), let me know. I’ll wager up to 100 dollars for your charities against the same amount from you for Pets, Inc. in Columbia. Anyone who wants to do it, I’m easy to find.

Reactions: adversary2
I’m not upset. I am, however, going to do what I can to clear up speculation that I know is incorrect for those who do listen to us. This is the last I will say on this here, because there’s no point in going on and on about it. If any of you choose choose not to believe me in favor of others, so be it, but rather than get concerned listener emails or tweets one at a time I felt it would be more useful to state the facts here. Folks are welcome to say any opinion they want about me or my colleagues work - that is exactly what boards like this are for and I wouldn’t expect anything else.

I will however gladly accept any wagers on what happens next. If anyone wishes to bet that one of our 3 primary shows is altered between now and the end of November (since Brent supposedly left in early August because of these supposed imminent big changes to 107.5, that seems like long enough to determine a winner), let me know. I’ll wager up to 100 dollars for your charities against the same amount from you for Pets, Inc. in Columbia. Anyone who wants to do it, I’m easy to find.

Dont yall have 4 shows? Morning, lunch, halftime, Heath?

Good luck and keep working hard

Sounds then like the noon show is being eliminated. I bet after football season changes will be made to the others.

Not so sure that radio, as we have known it, isn't about to follow the same path of newspapers that are struggling in this age. Many folks listen to podcasts these days, and the days of the younger crowd listening for hours to hear their favorite song are over as they no doubt can play a list of every song they want on their phone with no interruptions. This may just be the first sign of the changing media world having an effect on radio.

My thinking is the same here. Times have changed, access to podcast etc etc. Newspapers and Radio have seen the last of their hay days to a certain degree. Just a different time. Hard to let go of what was and getting use to what now is. The old voices of Bob Fulton Growing up in the late 50's listen to his play by play Just think he did "Gamecock football and basketball for almost 50 years." and many more the voices like Woody Durham Tarheels & Lindsay Scott from the Dogs. Those two were homers but it was fun listening to them calling a game. If only Todd had a radio voice to go along with his talent, Just hard to listen to at times but he does love the Gamecocks. Wonder who will replace Tommy Suggs the color analyst when that times come 40 years plus now, He has been around himself a very long time.

1993 South Carolina vs Georgia Bob Fulton Call

Was off air since around 7 last nightm. So they were off air for all night and much of the early morning

Why was 107.5 nothing but static for many hours after you went off air? I dont think it messed with local as Bill & Tim was on

Was when I was listening. Got a lovely rehash of the Def Leppard/Journey concert last night from Bill. Folks he was wrong, they are in fact AMAZING!!!
The show was very enjoyable!! At their ages, those guys are all still kicking it!! I could nit-pick, but that's me. What did Bill say about it?

The show was very enjoyable!! At their ages, those guys are all still kicking it!! I could nit-pick, but that's me. What did Bill say about it?
Yesterday he was on the air saying he was going but he wasn't excited, the show probably wouldn't be too good, he didn't know that many of the songs, he wasn't sure about non-original members etc. This am he was evidently eating crow and saying he had a super amazing time and this was the first thing he's ever been wrong about haha

Reactions: 92Pony
My thinking is the same here. Times have changed, access to podcast etc etc. Newspapers and Radio have seen the last of their hay days to a certain degree. Just a different time. Hard to let go of what was and getting use to what now is. The old voices of Bob Fulton Growing up in the late 50's listen to his play by play Just think he did "Gamecock football and basketball for almost 50 years." and many more the voices like Woody Durham Tarheels & Lindsay Scott from the Dogs. Those two were homers but it was fun listening to them calling a game. If only Todd had a radio voice to go along with his talent, Just hard to listen to at times but he does love the Gamecocks. Wonder who will replace Tommy Suggs the color analyst when that times come 40 years plus now, He has been around himself a very long time.

1993 South Carolina vs Georgia Bob Fulton Call

as much as I like Todd, hearing him on radio is like listening to someone scratch their fingernails on a chalkboard. JMO

Sounds then like the noon show is being eliminated. I bet after football season changes will be made to the others.

It is not going away. I thought it was kind of obvious that the show Brent was on was changing since he no longer is with the station. The claim was that changes were being made to other programming going forward.

Why was 107.5 nothing but static for many hours after you went off air? I dont think it messed with local as Bill & Tim was on

No idea, would presume a technical issue. Those happen sometimes with automation in ovenight if a tone goes wrong. CBS was on as usual when I left the building post show. We’re certainly not turning the station off at night, if that’s what you’re asking.

Best night show on the station — Farrell on the Bench. I enjoy his takes on drinking and gambling and his gravelly voice

Tune in to hear Langston Moore. Jay goes on a rant on exotic foods that wont end. Give us Gamecock football talk, it is 2 weeks away

Changing channel as this goes on way too long

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT