ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo May Be Gone After 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats...That is one accomplishment you guys have over us. After that it gets pretty thin...Besides, I'll take back-to-back bowl wins over top-10 teams like LSU & OSU any day, and you know you would to.

btw, what happened to that SC team the very next week after beating Bama?
Yeah, we have back to back bowl wins against OSU.

I know what happened the final game of 2009. We beat clemsux 34-17, which was the first of the 5 streak.

Great post #8! Where have you been??

Suck it.

Somewhat true, but not exactly apples and oranges..Dabo took over a program built by Danny Ford that had been floundering in mediocrity for 20+ years..It's often harder to rebuild a program than it is to build one from scratch..Also, the way in which Bowden was dismissed mid-season was a HUGE obstacle for Dabo to overcome...That interim status torpedoed that first recruiting class..We only signed TWELVE guys that cycle..By comparison, you guys signed 29!! that same year...That was a HUGE gift for Spurrier and a BIG part of your 5 year streak.

Also, Spurrier didnt build your program, Holtz did...He put SC on the map recruiting wise and Spurrier inherited some pretty good talent from him. It was like the cubbard was bare.

" ... Also, Spurrier didnt build your program, Holtz did...He put SC on the map recruiting wise and Spurrier inherited some pretty good talent from him. It was like the cubbard (sic) was bare."

1st -
I do not believe any person could graduate from college believing a simple, SIMPLE 'common' word like CUPBOARD would be spelled 'cubbard'. That's almost unbelievable to me ... that's like 'dog' or 'cat' - that is NOT a complex word. CLEMSON? Graduate? Really? Good Lord.

2nd - Inherited talent? The HBC inherited some thugs, which he immediately kicked off. In 2003 Clemson laid 63 on 'Carolina then in 2004 we were kicked in the head (literally) by Clemson again. (That coward's picture will ALWAYS be a poster - and a symbol of Clemson). Spurrier 'inherited' close to no depth anywhere.

Swinney inherited a 'floundering program'? In 9 full seasons (plus a part) Tommy Bowden won 72 games, in six full seasons (plus a part) Dabo's won 61 ... Bowden went to a bowl every year, he won 9-games 3-times and 8-games twice ... he never had a losing season and finished in the Top 25 in both polls 4-times. Bowen was 7-2 vs. South Carolina.

Swinney has finished Top 25 in both polls 4-times, he's already had a losing season and he lost the MEINEKE Bowl for heavens sake. His team gave up the most points in the entire HISTORY of American college football (in what he calls his 'championship' year!!!) and Swinney is 2-5 vs. South Carolina.

And playing AUBURN EVERY YEAR you think for a minute Alabama would even CONSIDER Dabo Swinney? You've lost your minds.

STEVE SPURRIER OWNS DABO SWINNEY ... I cannot wait for November.
Clemson's cold, dead body SAT UP in bed and opened its eyes last year ... which happens, but we'll bury that corpse this year and the tigers WILL BE looking to 'blame' someone, count on it.

Reactions: BigTomE
Somewhat true, but not exactly apples and oranges..Dabo took over a program built by Danny Ford that had been floundering in mediocrity for 20+ years..It's often harder to rebuild a program than it is to build one from scratch..Also, the way in which Bowden was dismissed mid-season was a HUGE obstacle for Dabo to overcome...That interim status torpedoed that first recruiting class..We only signed TWELVE guys that cycle..By comparison, you guys signed 29!! that same year...That was a HUGE gift for Spurrier and a BIG part of your 5 year streak.

Also, Spurrier didnt build your program, Holtz did...He put SC on the map recruiting wise and Spurrier inherited some pretty good talent from him. It was like the cubbard was bare.
Holtz built the program? You couldn't be more wrong. Holtz certainly brought his name recognition to SC, but that's about all. If you truly think Holtz built the SC football program, then you're showing how little you know about SC. Look at the long list of "firsts" accomplished by Spurrier since taking over. Look at the improved recruiting, the vastly improved facilities, and not to mention the money that's pouring in year after year. SC's successful football progress is attributed to Spurrier.

Didn't take a google search son, I lived in Richmond and enjoyed membership in the Commonwealth Club with "John" when he served as CSX CEO ... before John I also had the pleasure of knowing Prime Osborne when he maintained CSX's HQ's in Jacksonville.

Jon? Maybe Jon Lovitz or Jon Voight or Jon Bon Jovi or Lil John or Jon Stewart ... hey?!!! See a pattern? People who PRETEND for a living. What exactly is the difference between an actor, an entertainer and an impostor? There is none when you spell your name 'jon'. Append 'fraud'.
No, you pompous doofus...Jon SNOW. Just a simple literary character. But, to recognize that, you'd have to read.

Reactions: mplang
Congrats...That is one accomplishment you guys have over us. After that it gets pretty thin...Besides, I'll take back-to-back bowl wins over top-10 teams like LSU & OSU any day, and you know you would to.

btw, what happened to that SC team the very next week after beating Bama?
Hey orangefan, what happened the game before Clemson beat LSU? I'll remind you, Clemson lost to SC. How about the game before Clemson beat OSU? You guessed it, Clemson lost to SC that year too.

If you really don't think he would be on the shortlist, you have no room to talk about people being delusional. I mean seriously guy, we might have some fans that are delusional but you just couldn't be more wrong on this. He is from Bama, coached there, young and recruits very well. Here is Saturday down south talking about... http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/tailgate-talk-take-alabama-saban-retires/

It's really just not even a question. If somehow Saban hung it up today, Dabo would be one of the first calls they made. And again I said IF THEY WANT HIM. You seem to ignore that over and over.
And yet with all of the SEC openings in the past few years, not a single call to Dildo for an interview. Go figure.

You do realize that Dabo's career started by being thrown into a horrible situation in the middle of a failing season, after which he had to go for years without a team that he recruited or a coaching that he had put together. In the last four years he has beaten atleast 9 top 25 teams that I remember(maybe more) and five top 10 teams. I don't know his record against ranked opponents before that and it really doesn't matter. As you all say, he is a CEO, his strength is recruiting, and since he has been able to do all of those things he has been great. Ignore the coach of the year awards and all the analysts though, that is real delusion.
Who are the 5-top 10 schools genius?

No, you pompous doofus...Jon SNOW. Just a simple literary character. But, to recognize that, you'd have to read.

" ... Jon SNOW. Just a simple literary character. But, to recognize that, you'd have to read".

Read? You call this 'puff the magic dragon' BS literature? Lord, son ... THIS drivel EXPLAINS a LOT!!!

[ In A Game of Thrones (1996), Jon Snow is the 14-year-old bastard son of Eddard "Ned" Stark, lord of Winterfell, and half-brother to Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon. Described as having strong Stark features with a lean build, long face, dark brown hair and grey eyes, he has the surname "Snow"—customary for illegitimate children in the North—and is resented by Stark's wife Catelyn as a reminder of Ned's affair. Jon is the same age as Robb and enjoys a warm relationship with his siblings, particularly the tomboy Arya, who resembles Jon and, like him, does not feel like she fits in.]

This trivial tripe isn't 'literature' ... gawd almighty! How old are you fella' - twelve? It's after 10:30 ... are you still up? Jon? Tad? Buff? Are any of you kids up?

Don't forget to turn off those light-swords!!! The batteries are expensive!!!

Yoda sez' HEY!!! May the 'force' be with you.

Yet you are using the internet to spout off crap on our board, that you cant back up.
I state a fact and you post that I can't back it up because I won't do your homework for you? Ignorance at it's best. Lots of your SEC teams involved in those wins too by the way. Look it up, take a picture, write down, or do nothing; I don't care but I'm out.

And yet with all of the SEC openings in the past few years, not a single call to Dildo for an interview. Go figure.
exactly, i want any clemson fan to provide evidence where he was in the running for ANY head coaching job.......the only thing ive ever seen is the media saying he should be a candidate or on the shortlist.......ill be waiting with bended ear for a while im sure

Back to the original post....Dabo is not going anywhere. You have to remember his 37 point embarrassing loss to WVA was not nearly as humiliating as Spurrier's 38 point loss (62-24) in the 1996 national championship game. Nebraska's 470 yards rushing and 575 total yards were against a Florida defense that had given up less than a touchdown against 7 of their SEC opponents. If that didn't put Spurrier on the hot seat Dabo surely won't be on it after a mediocre season.
dumbo is no spurrier. you're really trying to compare the 2? SMDH

I state a fact and you post that I can't back it up because I won't do your homework for you? Ignorance at it's best. Lots of your SEC teams involved in those wins too by the way. Look it up, take a picture, write down, or do nothing; I don't care but I'm out.
You try to state lots of "facts", but they are just your opinion unless you can back it up. Your track record isn't very good, so nobody really believes you. Most of your drivel is just regurgitated dumbo propaganda. half truths and "I believe" and "I think".

It's about time you're out. Have fun.

he cant back it up....its all smoke and mirrors.....and for the record hes wrong, but im not gonna do his homework for him, he can look it up

Last edited:
Reactions: SportsSuites1
The article liked is nothing more than the author's opinion. If I cared, or had the time, I'm sure I can post links for several articles criticizing Dabo's ability as a head coach. Actually, I just read a linked article on this forum last night criticizing Dabo. One article on a site like SDS doesn't make it factual or even a popular opinion.

Doomsday Prep: Getting ready for a post-Nick Saban Alabama football team

"Want to know what a post-Saban Alabama Crimson Tide might look like?
This tweet says all you need to know.Kevin Scarbinsky tweeted, “Mark McMillian on Smashmouth: Dabo Sweeney texts me, says Roll Tiger. He’s a Bama guy. When Saban retires, lot of alumni will push for Dabo."

"Dabo recruits very well every year at an ACC school with a geographic disadvanatage and an in-state SEC up-and-comer with a living legend for a coach. He’s won more at Clemson than anyone else has since Clemson won* the title in the early 80’s. He plays pick-up football rather than the hurry-up crap too many people still think is working.

And he fits Alabama.

I was at Alabama with Shula. I liked Shula. When Saban came in I was one of the few people that were a little upset because I didn’t think Shula got his full test.
But Saban fit Alabama. Not just the football part, but the culture. “Never Again.” Focus on yourself instead of your opponent. Discipline, the biggest part if you ask me, is as intrinsic to Alabama’s success as it is Saban’s. And while nobody can match Saban’s level of discipline and accountability, I think Dabo matches Alabama’s culture better than anyone I can think of right now. I read he took a large pay cut to get the coordinators he was targeting. Tell me Saban wouldn’t do that. He’s a young coach with very good success and clearly Nick Saban would at least serve to help Dabo after his coaching run is over, right?
I’m sure lots of Alabama fans would disagree about Dabo coaching the Tide. But he seems like a great fit to me, and, like Shula, it would be a dream come true for Dabo too. It would be a hire I think we could be proud of. You just can’t replace Nick Saban, and you can’t expect to.

A few fan comments written below article:
"I second the motion to hire Dabo. With Alabama’s talent, his desire to win, his intensity, we could keep the tradition going."
"I watched a lot of Clemson football this year. Dabo Swinney might not be the best candidate. But I’d give him a shot, absolutely. I might even argue he would be the best candidate. You simply can’t replace Saban. Dabo knows football and knows discipline and knows how important getting the right support staff is, and he’s going it without tricks and scandals."

Will this guy coach Alabama Someday?

Dabo Swinney is an Alabama guy. He grew up here. (in my neck of the woods) He was on the 1992 National Championship Team.

He was also an assistant during the transition from the Gene Stallings to the Mike DuBose staffs at Alabama. He was caught up in the mess at the end of the DuBose era and it almost cost Dabo his dream of working in the sport he loves.

A mess he didn't create or take part in.

I covered that coaching staff. It was one of the most TOXIC situations I have ever seen in sports. Few people on Mike's staff were pulling in the same direction and I often wondered how many people in the building were actually pulling for Alabama.

Dabo always did.

He got back in at Clemson and has risen to not only just a great recruiter...but one of the more consistent head coaches in the game.

Dabo is 44 years old and I keep hearing it more and more around town..."that's the guy I want to follow Saban."

I don't know if I want that for my friend. Coming home can be tough and if it doesn't workout...then you're already home.

Following Nick Saban will not be easy for anyone.

Dabo joked in our interview today that maybe they are the "Clemson Tide" because of the growing popularity of Clemson in our state and around the country. That has come from some big wins under Dabo.

He hasn't beaten rival South Carolina yet but he has beaten; Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, West Virginia, and Auburn twice. He has led Clemson to back-to-back 11 win seasons and if they can survive an offensive rebuild this year with Georgia, Florida State and South Carolina on the schedule...maybe the "Clemson Tide" will spread more and maybe someday, Dabo will have to decide whether to keep making his path outside of the state...or come home."
-Jim Dunaway

Can we finally give Les Miles, not Nick Saban, credit for LSU's sustained success?

..."McElroy carried his faulty theory to its logical conclusion when he appeared to speculate that Alabama will continue to win big after Saban leaves because of the foundation he’s built.

“I think Alabama’s going to be a perennial power for years to come,” McElroy said.

That’ll be the expectation for Kirby Smart, Dabo Swinney or a successor to be named later. But no one’s demonstrated better than Alabama after Bryant that past success is no guarantee of future results."

Last edited:
@cp1275

Two More Reasons to Think Dabo Swinney could go through Auburn to get to Alabama

"Paul Bryant Jr. Well, him and anyone else at Alabama who'll have a voice in who succeeds Nick Saban when Saban retires. This gives the crimson decision-makers two more chances to evaluate Dabo Swinney against their biggest rival.

If he can handle the Dabo Bowl, why not the Iron Bowl?

Swinney already has a pretty good case if both parties are interested when the time comes. How many other former Alabama players and assistants are running a major college program? How many of them have won a major conference championship? How many of them have won a BCS bowl game?

Swinney's done all those things and more, and he's done them at Clemson, which doesn't have Alabama's history.

Not to mention another little fun fact. There have been seven Alabama coaches since Bear Bryant. Only two of them have beaten Auburn more than Swinney has.

Gene Stallings, who coached and employed Swinney in Tuscaloosa, was 5-2 against the Tigers. Saban is 4-3 against them. Swinney is 2-1, and he's riding a two-game winning streak.

Imagine if Clemson sweeps that upcoming series with Auburn with the highly touted Deshaun Watson at quarterback. Swinney would be 4-1 against Auburn about the time Saban could be seriously considering retirement and Alabama could be feverishly contemplating where to go next.

Or Auburn could sweep the series and take Swinney right off the board. Or Swinney could be content to continue building his own legacy at Clemson no matter what happens in those games.

No one knows what the future holds, but remember this: Swinney's just 44 years old, and he's beaten Auburn as a player, an assistant coach and a head coach.

If he's not already on Alabama's post-Saban radar, someone's not paying attention."

Raise Your Hand if you see Dabo Swinney succeeding Nick Saban

..."The new eight-year deal, with heavy early buyouts for Swinney and the school, makes it appear that he's not going anywhere anytime soon. But if he continues to win, the day may come when he's a viable candidate to succeed Saban at Alabama.

That's going to be a coaching search for the ages, especially if it includes a certain former Crimson Tide walk-on fan favorite who just turned 44 years old.

The way Swinney's going, why would he not be very close to the front of the line?"

Nick Saban's 5 most Likely Successors

1. Dabo Swinney -
"
Swinney would be a home-run hire from a football standpoint, considering what he’s been able to do at Clemson, but that’s obviously not the kicker here. Alabama would love to bring home its prodigal son, who played wide receiver and was a positional coach for the Tide in the ‘90s before heading to Clemson.

Considering his charisma and what he’s done on the recruiting trail in Clemson and the ACC, the Birmingham native and ‘Bama alum could work wonders in Tuscaloosa. A lack of SEC head coaching experience and the knock of his teams “pulling a Clemson” in recent years works against him, but no prospective coach’s ceiling would be higher."
2. Kirby Smart
3.Bret Bielema
4.Mark Dantonio
5.Lane Kiffin

Tide Bits: Roll Dabo Successor to Saban?

..."I would even go as far as to say that he would be on the short list if Saban was to step aside today. He’s a good guy, decent coach, has experience running a top level program and is an outstanding recruiter. Alabama could certainly do a lot worse (and has so before)."
..."f Alabama hired Dabo, he would no doubt be qualified. And if he could keep the recruiting pipeline open that would certainly enhance his prospects of being successful. But the Tide would essentially be hiring a football CEO instead of a guru. Whether that CEO would turn out more like a Tommy Tuberville or a Derek Dooley would be a major question."

Now that Dabo Swinney's established at Clemson, can he get the Tigers to the top?

FAIRHOPE, Alabama - It's not easy to find coaches who've done things that Nick Saban couldn't, but one of those rare animals walked the sideline Tuesday during the South team Senior Bowl practice at Fairhope Stadium.

Like Saban, Clemson's Dabo Swinney was here to support his players. Unlike Saban, Swinney was fresh off a postseason victory.

Clemson's 40-6 win over Oklahoma in the Russell Athletic Bowl was Swinney's third straight bowl win over a team that started the season ranked in the top five, his third straight postseason takedown of a national championship head coach. He added the scalp of Bob Stoops to a trophy wall that includes Ohio State's Urban Meyer from last season and LSU's Les Miles from 2012.

With the victory, Clemson finished a season that could've been derailed by injury and uncertainty at quarterback with a 10-3 record, earning Swinney another distinction. He's one of only two current head coaches who's won at least 10 games in each of the last four years.

The other? Saban. Oh, and while Swinney is 2-0 the last two postseasons against Meyer and Ohio State and Stoops and Oklahoma, Saban is 0-2.

That's not to say Swinney has reached Saban's status. He hasn't, but who else working today has? He'll need to win a national championship or four to come close to that rare air.

But Swinney has developed into one of the better head coaches in a Power 5 conference despite starting his head coaching career more like another member of the Alabama staff."

Reactions: cp1275
@cp1275

Two More Reasons to Think Dabo Swinney could go through Auburn to get to Alabama

"Paul Bryant Jr. Well, him and anyone else at Alabama who'll have a voice in who succeeds Nick Saban when Saban retires. This gives the crimson decision-makers two more chances to evaluate Dabo Swinney against their biggest rival.

If he can handle the Dabo Bowl, why not the Iron Bowl?

Swinney already has a pretty good case if both parties are interested when the time comes. How many other former Alabama players and assistants are running a major college program? How many of them have won a major conference championship? How many of them have won a BCS bowl game?

Swinney's done all those things and more, and he's done them at Clemson, which doesn't have Alabama's history.

Not to mention another little fun fact. There have been seven Alabama coaches since Bear Bryant. Only two of them have beaten Auburn more than Swinney has.

Gene Stallings, who coached and employed Swinney in Tuscaloosa, was 5-2 against the Tigers. Saban is 4-3 against them. Swinney is 2-1, and he's riding a two-game winning streak.

Imagine if Clemson sweeps that upcoming series with Auburn with the highly touted Deshaun Watson at quarterback. Swinney would be 4-1 against Auburn about the time Saban could be seriously considering retirement and Alabama could be feverishly contemplating where to go next.

Or Auburn could sweep the series and take Swinney right off the board. Or Swinney could be content to continue building his own legacy at Clemson no matter what happens in those games.

No one knows what the future holds, but remember this: Swinney's just 44 years old, and he's beaten Auburn as a player, an assistant coach and a head coach.

If he's not already on Alabama's post-Saban radar, someone's not paying attention."

Raise Your Hand if you see Dabo Swinney succeeding Nick Saban

..."The new eight-year deal, with heavy early buyouts for Swinney and the school, makes it appear that he's not going anywhere anytime soon. But if he continues to win, the day may come when he's a viable candidate to succeed Saban at Alabama.

That's going to be a coaching search for the ages, especially if it includes a certain former Crimson Tide walk-on fan favorite who just turned 44 years old.

The way Swinney's going, why would he not be very close to the front of the line?"

Nick Saban's 5 most Likely Successors

1. Dabo Swinney -
"
Swinney would be a home-run hire from a football standpoint, considering what he’s been able to do at Clemson, but that’s obviously not the kicker here. Alabama would love to bring home its prodigal son, who played wide receiver and was a positional coach for the Tide in the ‘90s before heading to Clemson.

Considering his charisma and what he’s done on the recruiting trail in Clemson and the ACC, the Birmingham native and ‘Bama alum could work wonders in Tuscaloosa. A lack of SEC head coaching experience and the knock of his teams “pulling a Clemson” in recent years works against him, but no prospective coach’s ceiling would be higher."
2. Kirby Smart
3.Bret Bielema
4.Mark Dantonio
5.Lane Kiffin

Tide Bits: Roll Dabo Successor to Saban?

..."I would even go as far as to say that he would be on the short list if Saban was to step aside today. He’s a good guy, decent coach, has experience running a top level program and is an outstanding recruiter. Alabama could certainly do a lot worse (and has so before)."
..."f Alabama hired Dabo, he would no doubt be qualified. And if he could keep the recruiting pipeline open that would certainly enhance his prospects of being successful. But the Tide would essentially be hiring a football CEO instead of a guru. Whether that CEO would turn out more like a Tommy Tuberville or a Derek Dooley would be a major question."

Now that Dabo Swinney's established at Clemson, can he get the Tigers to the top?

FAIRHOPE, Alabama - It's not easy to find coaches who've done things that Nick Saban couldn't, but one of those rare animals walked the sideline Tuesday during the South team Senior Bowl practice at Fairhope Stadium.

Like Saban, Clemson's Dabo Swinney was here to support his players. Unlike Saban, Swinney was fresh off a postseason victory.

Clemson's 40-6 win over Oklahoma in the Russell Athletic Bowl was Swinney's third straight bowl win over a team that started the season ranked in the top five, his third straight postseason takedown of a national championship head coach. He added the scalp of Bob Stoops to a trophy wall that includes Ohio State's Urban Meyer from last season and LSU's Les Miles from 2012.

With the victory, Clemson finished a season that could've been derailed by injury and uncertainty at quarterback with a 10-3 record, earning Swinney another distinction. He's one of only two current head coaches who's won at least 10 games in each of the last four years.

The other? Saban. Oh, and while Swinney is 2-0 the last two postseasons against Meyer and Ohio State and Stoops and Oklahoma, Saban is 0-2.

That's not to say Swinney has reached Saban's status. He hasn't, but who else working today has? He'll need to win a national championship or four to come close to that rare air.

But Swinney has developed into one of the better head coaches in a Power 5 conference despite starting his head coaching career more like another member of the Alabama staff."

So some guy wrote an article last year about dumbo going to AL. Did some clemsux homer start this? Read some of the comments, they are hilarious.

WhataboutfaxJul 30, 2014:

Kevin, you could not possibly be more wrong. Dabo Swinney will never ever in one million years be the head football coach at The University of Alabama. Never ever. If you knew what I presumed you to know, then you would know that it will never happen.

Why hasnt dumbo been mentioned and gotten serious consideration for any SEC jobs or other big time football programs? There's a reason.

So some guy wrote an article last year about dumbo going to AL. Did some clemsux homer start this? Read some of the comments, they are hilarious.

WhataboutfaxJul 30, 2014:

Kevin, you could not possibly be more wrong. Dabo Swinney will never ever in one million years be the head football coach at The University of Alabama. Never ever. If you knew what I presumed you to know, then you would know that it will never happen.

Why hasnt dumbo been mentioned and gotten serious consideration for any SEC jobs or other big time football programs? There's a reason.

It's eight different articles, not one. It represents a wide sample size from coaches, members of the media, and Alabama fans.

Dabo would be on the list for HC at Bama.

I just watched GAMEDAY and never heard a word about the #12 ranked team in the Nation or the word CLEMSON come out of any of their mouths. Even when they were talking about Notre Dame they did not even say a word about the Tigers when talking about tough games. They picked Ga. tec. Va. tec and Fl st. That speaks volumes, don't you think?
This comes from the same group of folks that thought that the SEC was awesome last year. They had no idea about Ohio State either.

Reactions: pjs1087
It's eight different articles, not one. It represents a wide sample size from coaches, members of the media, and Alabama fans.

Dabo would be on the list for HC at Bama.
"Wide sample size from coaches, members of the medai & AL fans"? HAHAHA. It's the same idiot "reporter". Not eight different opinions. All of those articles except 1 are from 2013 & 2014. The guy who started this notion is from PA. He probably met dumbo and fell for his insurance sales tactics. Nobody from the school has said this at all.

Again, go ask the AL fans on their board if they'd like dumbo as their coach. They'll laugh you offline.

So dumbo is all set for the AL job, yet he's not mentioned for any other openings. Not seriously, anyway. No other school has contacted him.

Sabah is a coach. Dumbo is a cheerleader. Big difference.

It'll never happen, but you guys keep dreaming and pounding your chest.

Last edited:
This comes from the same group of folks that thought that the SEC was awesome last year. They had no idea about Ohio State either.
This comes from the same group that thinks clemsux is going to win the Nat'l champ and Watson the Heisman.

The meltdown in taterville's gonna be fun to watch

Reactions: Tigerman93
Doomsday Prep: Getting ready for a post-Nick Saban Alabama football team

"Want to know what a post-Saban Alabama Crimson Tide might look like?
This tweet says all you need to know.Kevin Scarbinsky tweeted, “Mark McMillian on Smashmouth: Dabo Sweeney texts me, says Roll Tiger. He’s a Bama guy. When Saban retires, lot of alumni will push for Dabo."

"Dabo recruits very well every year at an ACC school with a geographic disadvanatage and an in-state SEC up-and-comer with a living legend for a coach. He’s won more at Clemson than anyone else has since Clemson won* the title in the early 80’s. He plays pick-up football rather than the hurry-up crap too many people still think is working.

And he fits Alabama.

I was at Alabama with Shula. I liked Shula. When Saban came in I was one of the few people that were a little upset because I didn’t think Shula got his full test.
But Saban fit Alabama. Not just the football part, but the culture. “Never Again.” Focus on yourself instead of your opponent. Discipline, the biggest part if you ask me, is as intrinsic to Alabama’s success as it is Saban’s. And while nobody can match Saban’s level of discipline and accountability, I think Dabo matches Alabama’s culture better than anyone I can think of right now. I read he took a large pay cut to get the coordinators he was targeting. Tell me Saban wouldn’t do that. He’s a young coach with very good success and clearly Nick Saban would at least serve to help Dabo after his coaching run is over, right?
I’m sure lots of Alabama fans would disagree about Dabo coaching the Tide. But he seems like a great fit to me, and, like Shula, it would be a dream come true for Dabo too. It would be a hire I think we could be proud of. You just can’t replace Nick Saban, and you can’t expect to.

A few fan comments written below article:
"I second the motion to hire Dabo. With Alabama’s talent, his desire to win, his intensity, we could keep the tradition going."
"I watched a lot of Clemson football this year. Dabo Swinney might not be the best candidate. But I’d give him a shot, absolutely. I might even argue he would be the best candidate. You simply can’t replace Saban. Dabo knows football and knows discipline and knows how important getting the right support staff is, and he’s going it without tricks and scandals."

Will this guy coach Alabama Someday?

Dabo Swinney is an Alabama guy. He grew up here. (in my neck of the woods) He was on the 1992 National Championship Team.

He was also an assistant during the transition from the Gene Stallings to the Mike DuBose staffs at Alabama. He was caught up in the mess at the end of the DuBose era and it almost cost Dabo his dream of working in the sport he loves.

A mess he didn't create or take part in.

I covered that coaching staff. It was one of the most TOXIC situations I have ever seen in sports. Few people on Mike's staff were pulling in the same direction and I often wondered how many people in the building were actually pulling for Alabama.

Dabo always did.

He got back in at Clemson and has risen to not only just a great recruiter...but one of the more consistent head coaches in the game.

Dabo is 44 years old and I keep hearing it more and more around town..."that's the guy I want to follow Saban."

I don't know if I want that for my friend. Coming home can be tough and if it doesn't workout...then you're already home.

Following Nick Saban will not be easy for anyone.

Dabo joked in our interview today that maybe they are the "Clemson Tide" because of the growing popularity of Clemson in our state and around the country. That has come from some big wins under Dabo.

He hasn't beaten rival South Carolina yet but he has beaten; Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, West Virginia, and Auburn twice. He has led Clemson to back-to-back 11 win seasons and if they can survive an offensive rebuild this year with Georgia, Florida State and South Carolina on the schedule...maybe the "Clemson Tide" will spread more and maybe someday, Dabo will have to decide whether to keep making his path outside of the state...or come home."
-Jim Dunaway

Can we finally give Les Miles, not Nick Saban, credit for LSU's sustained success?

..."McElroy carried his faulty theory to its logical conclusion when he appeared to speculate that Alabama will continue to win big after Saban leaves because of the foundation he’s built.

“I think Alabama’s going to be a perennial power for years to come,” McElroy said.

That’ll be the expectation for Kirby Smart, Dabo Swinney or a successor to be named later. But no one’s demonstrated better than Alabama after Bryant that past success is no guarantee of future results."

Um mm you do realize that's an opinion piece full of nothing more than the author's opinion and speculation? Where are the facts?

While USC hires well known hall of fame type coaches (Dietsel (sp), Holtz, and Spurrier) Clemson hires up and coming coaches. Dabo kinda reminds me of Ronald Reagan as President. While Dabo may not be the best coach, the best play caller, or the best game day general, he seems to surround himself with good and capable assistants who are very good at what they do and he lets them do their jobs. That is a trait of many very successful CEO's.

While USC hires well known hall of fame type coaches (Dietsel (sp), Holtz, and Spurrier) Clemson hires up and coming coaches. Dabo kinda reminds me of Ronald Reagan as President. While Dabo may not be the best coach, the best play caller, or the best game day general, he seems to surround himself with good and capable assistants who are very good at what they do and he lets them do their jobs. That is a trait of many very successful CEO's.
Your #1 post is: dumbo = ronald reagan.

That might not be as good a thing as you'd hoped.

"Wide sample size from coaches, members of the medai & AL fans"? HAHAHA. It's the same idiot "reporter". Not eight different opinions. All of those articles except 1 are from 2013 & 2014. The guy who started this notion is from PA. He probably met dumbo and fell for his insurance sales tactics. Nobody from the school has said this at all.

Again, go ask the AL fans on their board if they'd like dumbo as their coach. They'll laugh you offline.

So dumbo is all set for the AL job, yet he's not mentioned for any other openings. Not seriously, anyway. No other school has contacted him.

Roll Tide Bama

BamaFan 334,
"I could probably do some research here, but figured I'd reach out to some of y'all first. I for one cannot stand Dabo Sweeney. I hate the guy's ego, his arrogance, and his outpouring support (he's their coach so I get it) for a Clemson team I have hated my entire life. The guy acts like Clemson is the National Champion every year and does the impossible each and every weekend. My question is, what drove him out of Tuscaloosa? I have had a friend of mine whom is a South Carolina fan tell me to ask or look up his tenure and why he is no longer here, so I wanted to ask and see if any of y'all understood the story. Thanks in advance."

Terry P,
"He was released when DuBose was fired."

BamaFan334,
Thanks y'all. I was under the impression it was for some other reason. Not near as bad as my friend was making it sound. Of course, he hates Clemson a lot more than most being a Gamecock fan.

It Takes Eleven,
I like Dabo, but he's an excitable coach who has risen to the head coaching ranks faster than his head coach PR acumen. If he's your coach, you love it; if you're indifferent to Clempson, you're annoyed or amused; if he's coaching your rival, I would think he would be maddening.
RTR,
Tim

Bamabww,
"I think it's funny how he grabs at all the straws he can. An example: after the win over Spurrier's bunch he said twice in rapid succession during the post game interview: We're the first ACC team to beat two SEC teams back to back (going back to the bowl game last year). I think it pretty much falls the way It Takes Eleven said."

TerryP,
"...after the win over <strike>Spurrier's</strike>Richt'sbunch he said twice in rapid succession during the post game interview...
Dabo was a pretty neat guy when he was in school. When he was coaching here with Stallings as a GA and then under DuBose I didn't see any difference him as a person.
Based on where he is as a coach right now he's not a fit for Bama. I still have to take into account what Coach Stallings said back in the mid-90's about Dabo...he's going to be a hell of a coach one day.
He's always been a heck of a recruiter.
"

Bamadrill,
"Don't be hate'n on Dabo! I hope they kick the chicken poop out the Lamecocks this year!"

***********************Transition in conversation*******************

Bama Alum,
"K, first of all, I am in NO way, shape, or form advocating or even thinking stupid rumors like the Texas thing are even remotely true. Hell, no! I hope that CNS stays here for another five - ten years before he's ready to relocate to Lake Burton.
That said, let's just say that the UGA trust one day finally have had enough of nice guy Richt not winning it all and they bring Kirby Smart back home. Dabo still has family here. His parents own the hardware store across the street from my school, the school where a family member attends (I do know her). Given his current rate of success at Clemson (and how much he still dislikes *U), do you guys think that Dabo might be a solid candidate to replace CNS?
(this is all just speculation, just typing out loud - no more!)
"

Terry P,
"Family is the key word here—in this case immediate family. His wife would have a HUGE say in that decision...should it arise. The health scare they had several years back led to some very close and personal relationships with her and people in that community. It was those relationships that played a large role in him not joining Saban's staff when he was still in the assistant role at Clemson.
While I don't think Dabo would screw up an interview nearly as badly as Croom did, I do believe that possibility would be dependent on his plans for a staff—specifically on the defensive side of the ball.
I'm not suggesting this combination but using CJK as an example. I'd say it's likely a combination similar to a Swinney/Kines duo would have a lot of success.
(I'm still inclined to believe Price/Kines would have had some success. Nationally and on a long term basis? There's the question.)"

RammerJammer,
"I like Dabo. Hope he does well. While I do not know him personally his story is pretty awesome. (Family history).
I have the good fortune of dealing with a few medical sales reps that were teammates of his on the 92 team. They both on separate occasions raved about Dabo and the type of person he was on and off the field. They both are able to keep in touch with him (minimally) but said he is as good a guy as he ever was."

We All Bleed Crimson,
"Personally, I like Dabo a lot. His enthusiasm is an extension of who he is. If you get a chance, look into his story. The guy is a GREAT example of how a person, with desire to do so, can make it against all odds. At one point in his early life he was homeless. While he was a walk-on player here at Bama, his mother had to live in the dorm with him and his roommate. I know this much, that he doesn't take excuses from his players or coaches for not being able to do something. He has a zeal for success and, if you look at the before and after of Clemson, you'll see the fruition of it. He is a very generous person without stepping into the spot light for what he does. He is still a young coach who is building a trail of success, and I like the guy.
If he eventually becomes a candidate for the HC at Bama, I think he'll be successful - based on how successful he has already been on and off the field.
By the way, that is not to say that I want him to be a candidate any time soon. I hope CNS is here for another 10 to 15 years. :a:
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!"

uagrad93,
"Dabo and I walked on together and he was classy from the word go. He is fiery and passionate for his team and players. I have told my son that if he couldn't go to BAMA (he will anyways), I would love for him to go play for Dabo."

beachfinder,
"Those who know Dabo well knows this is a transition year for him as a head coach... When he was picked to take over after they hired Bowden, it was to many just a stop gap measure because he was just so loved by all the players, they could get him cheap and he had so many good recruits on the line they might have (and would have) lost if he had not been kept... Most thought he'd do until they found "a real coach"... Not many of the big wigs there expected him to do as well as he has...
That said, he's been more of a rah rah coach and still working to be "one of the boys" and the players friend over the last few years and now he's trying to transition into just being the boss. He was so young when he got the job it was easier to be the other way, the rah rah coach with the boys,,, now that he's maturing he knows that it's going to take more than emotion to win them all and he's becoming a bit tougher on the boys and being more assertive over the assistant coaches.
This change was necessary for both Clemson and Dabo to move to the next rung up the ladder. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to be in charge of our program as a rah rah coach, but like others, I am watching him closely as he tries to mature into a more disciplined coaching style.
I had the opportunity to talk to Dabo and he's told me that not only because Clemson gave him the opportunity to be a head coach, but because of his love for the area and the contacts he's built there, he could think of very few opportunities that could pry him away from there and that it is his dream to make that school into a contending program year in and year out like an Alabama and make his job one of the most sought out jobs in football.
The powers that be at Clemson were wary of the Dabo hire in the beginning, now they would open their checkbooks to keep him and he's someone they now have faith in to run the program far into the future.
Would we be one of the "few opportunities"? He just smiled and said I think they have a coach that'll be around for a long time and changed the subject and started talking to someone else... (G) So I think he at least has coach speak down... (G)"

rick4Bama,
"I have really enjoyed this thread about Dabo."

This could not be more wrong about Dabo's job security and the boosters. I know the big Clemson supporters and anyone who said that to you is not one of them. Even if your scenario somehow played out and we had a losing season, Dabo wouldn't even be near the hot seat let alone fired. We know what we have with him and we know where we're going. We are going to try to get him Coach K style tenure at Clemson but we all know that when Saban leaves Bama he will leave us if they want him.

The OP may be a little off with his assessment, but come one. This stuff about Dabo going to Bama when Saban retires is beyond delusional.

Next Bama board:
BamaOnLine

FrozenRopes,
I Do NOT Like Dabo Swinney
"Hate me if you must but I just can't handle that cheerleader type mentality from a head coach. He is the complete opposite of Saban, Stallings, Bryant and any other good coach that has had sustained success. Okay, I'm finished with my rant.
Roll Tide"

RTR65,
"Agree. He looks like a buffoon. His team did come to play yesterday though. Much better than Tommy Bowden."

erisabama,
"just a different style and while it doesnt look right to us who like the traditional "iron fist" guy... it appears to work in relating to today's kids. See James Franklin and Will Muschamp"

tgpc,
"I am proud of what he has done and wish him good luck. He is a Bama boy."

BamaFan4Evr,
"No one hates you for your opinion, I would just ask that you remember, he was thrust into the limelight in 2008 as an interim coach at the age of 38. Sure he had a deer-in-the-headlights look for a while. He's a player's coach and young enough to be able to relate to them. As he matures as a head coach, I think he'll mellow in his reactions, but I recall a young Coach Bryant hoisting Coach Stallings into the air after a Bama loss. Cut him some slack....he's one of ours."

Rollin The Tide,
I like Dabo. Dabo loves Alabama.
I, too, typically dislike a HC w/ the cheerleader-like coaching style--but, I think Dabo will grow out of it. Hell, he's only like 30, right???? Seriously, I think his age has a lot to do with it."

FrozenRopes,(Original Poster)
"If he does indeed grow out of that rah-rah, cheerleader mentality, he probably can become a great coach. I mean, save it for the locker room, you know. Players generally take on the attitude and behavior of their head coach. Sure it works when everything is going great, but when adversity starts hitting and you're not jumping around anymore, what do you think the players are gonna do? To his credit (I guess) he never stopped jumping around last night and his team came back and won."

editnosmirc,
"He's 43.
He's different, but I think coaches have to be true to themselves, be authentic, or players will see right through them."

Rollin The Tide,
"Yeah, but they're Clemson. An 11-win season is pretty huge for them--especially considering that they beat a top-notch SEC program to get that 11th win. They deserve to celebrate what they accomplished...."

zigzag,
"On the other hand, there's a palpable sense of bitterness and Dabo-fatigue around here because he's getting paid big bucks to do a job that many would trade an appendage for. I'm not necessarily a Dabo fan, but I'm far from being a hater - a term that may apply to a few posters, here."

rink6670,
"Anyone care to discuss his idiotic comment, "this is a national championship team"? Some have said he was referring to LSU, but I am sure he was referring to Clemson. That was just dumb."
"You know, I don't know if I'm a hater or not. It wouldn't bother me so much if some Alabama fans didn't go overboard in their praise of him. I don't like him, and when I see Bama fans gush over him (not necessarily here), it makes me like him less. That probably doesn't make sense, but that is where I'm coming from...."

BleedsCrimson,
"He was referring to LSU. He went on to talk about it being the first time Clemson had won 11 games in decades. He certainly was not suggesting Clemson was a national championship team. He was saying the team they just beat was a national championship caliber team - Which is one of the reasons he was so excited."

Bama2212,
"Don't mind the sideline antics but for crying out loud Dabo be a little more polished when doing after game interviews. "Frickin" should not be used once in those settings but dang sure not twice. He came across as a little hickish. With all that said it doesn't really matter what he does after the game to Clemson folk if you win the game. It would just be more impressive to the general public if he acted a little more humble. I don't think he ever said anything about his opponent. My style not his I guess."

wesleygullet,
"I always root for him. I want him to keep getting better and better as a head coach. If he takes Clemson and makes them a national championship contender every season, then he could do real damage at Alabama. When Saban leaves (hopefully a long time from now), I want us to have clear cut options to choose from. I want those options to be proven winners. Whether it be Dabo, Franklin, smart, etc... I don't care as long as they win"

Aight36411,
"Clemson defeated a truly elite program for the first time under Dabo, they finished with 11 wins for thr first time in like 30 years (only the 4th time in school history with 11+ wins), and we have people complaining about a man getting emotional? Somewhere down the line society fooled everyone into thinking that a man showing emotions is a sign of weakness... I say it's weakness for a man to bottle everything up in a failed attempt to pretend he has it all together. The man was overjoyed and emotional. Let him have his day."

jaymon1974,
"not everyone does leadership the way those individuals you mentioned. they were great leaders, but there are other ways to lead. Whatever he is doing seems to be working for him. What is more important is how his players feel about him. He seems genuine to me. I am an army officer and the best advise i ever got from one of my NCOs was to be myself. He said you can't fool "joe"! what he was saying was that your people will see through bullshit. You may not like Dabo, but if his players believe in him, they will kill themselves to do what he says. That my friend is leadership. Dabo believe what he is saying. That make him very dangerous. I fear him more than most coaches I see on a daily basis. Dabo thinks he can beat nick saban. He really believes it. He wont quit. he will kill himself until he accomplishes that goal. you should respect that. sun tsu said always respect your enemy"

tosssweep26,
"I don't hate you but I don't know you. That said, I can assure you that if YOU knew Dabo, you would be every bit as big of a fan of his as I am. Sure he wears his emotion on his sleeve but his character and integrity are beyond questioning. His style may ultimately hurt him at some point but that may be the best way to win at Clemson----which he is doing. Message boards are open forums and you are free to post what you want but yours shows how little you know about a person and situation. Down vote from me."

Seriously? The same Reporter? I gave MULTIPLE examples from MULTIPLE people, just as you requested. I supplied those opinions from different people and now they are all magically penned by some TinFoil Hat wearing reporter? Give me a break.
This one is on the house:
Nobody from the school has said this at all..... below is a link to a video interview with Coach Stallings, let him do the talking.
Stallings mentions Swinney in same breath as Saban

Reactions: cp1275 and pjs1087
HAHAHA. You posted one guy that walked on with dumbo? So you're posting his friend's comment?

The guy who said he would think dumbo coaching your rival would be maddening. Hilarious!!! Spurrier is 5-1 against dumbo. That's maddening for the clemsux fan. We all hope dumbo stays at clemsux for a long, long time. He's the gift that keeps on giving.

No doubt, and I only know about 3 Clemson fans, so you can't make too much out of such a small sample.
Post by: mistertoddm,

TigerstripesinTN1
I think that beat down that FSU put on them has already given them a chance to evaluate him!!!

moonshark
Kevin, get off this ridiculous idea of Swinney to Alabama after Saban. Hopefully we've learned our lesson of going with second rate talent to follow up a legendary first rate coach. The man is 1-5 against his biggest rival, South Carolina. But, but, but, but nothing. A little Dabo ain't gonna do it.

Whataboutfax

Stay Calm
Still don't know what Dabo Swinney has to do with BAMA

Ominous
Dabo?

@SeasonOn
He played on the 1992 national championship team coached by stallings, I don't want him as a coach, but you asked connection

I love the guy who says he only knows 3 clemsux fans.

I remember when Texas was hiring, all the clemsux fans were complaining because dumbo wasnt getting any love. There's a reason.

Last edited:
Take to the time to follow all the links provided(something Sweets can never do.) None of my information has been fabricated(Like Sweets ALWAYS does) to slant the argument in my direction. I challenge you to follow those links and find any errors of duplication and citation on my part and bring them to my attention.

I'm not @SportsSuites1. I bolster my arguments with REAL evidence and provide links to prove its validity.

Coach Spurrier is in the waning days of his HoF career and Swinney is trying to make a name for himself; consequently, as we have all witnessed over the past several years, there have been growing pains. Try to unplug your hatred for the guy and objectively view his OVERALL body of work, not just wins and losses. Does he have a stellar record vs ranked opponents no? Not now, no. In the future? Who knows; but you can be damn sure that he is going to fight as hard as anyone to win those games.

I hope you guys have a great weekend.

Reactions: pjs1087 and mplang
The OP may be a little off with his assessment, but come one. This stuff about Dabo going to Bama when Saban retires is beyond delusional.

'Twasn't 'my' assessment.
I was breaking lunchtime bread with a 68-yo 'Clemson' supporter, an 85-yo 'Clemson' supporter, an 84-yo 'Carolina' supporter, a 79-yo 'Clemson' supporter, a 48-yo MD from Long Island with no dog in the fight and moi' - a 65-yo 'Carolina' fan. The Clemson voices were those expressing opinions they were sick and tired of hearing all the 'rah-rah' 'bout beating 5-loss teams in third-rate bowls while losing starters for unexplained reasons after having suffered through a seemingly ENDLESS 'streak' by 'Carolina in the twilight of their lives.

Beating South Carolina last year was a substantial 'exhale' for them - but given SC's 'record' and performance letdown earlier in the 2014 season whipping THAT team (obviously not Spurrier's strongest) they flat-out said if Clemson fails to deliver on all its 2015 pre-game hoopla then gets WHACKED by 'Carolina to start another potential run they may want to 'look elsewhere' for sustained success - which (at least for them) ain't measured by ACC wins sandwiched between losses to South Carolina and whoever else may be out there.

Bowden owned SC but lost unexplained games at other times, while Dabo wins some nice ones but has been pathetic against South Carolina. NEITHER is acceptable to them. They want BOTH. Those crusty old guys AIN'T 'kool-aid' drinkers. Given the pre-season hype they've been fed they EXPECT 10-wins coming in and a SOLID whipping of SC. Limp in with 8-wins (or less) get their butts curb-stomped and no amount of 'spin' is going to win them over.

That was THEIR message ... and they 'graduated' from clemson and actually give 'real' money to support 'em. They're not the impostor, adoptive, uneducated hop on the 'new' train crowd of single-digit wannabe's invading the FGF - they're the 'real' deal.

Seriously? The same Reporter? I gave MULTIPLE examples from MULTIPLE people, just as you requested. I supplied those opinions from different people and now they are all magically penned by some TinFoil Hat wearing reporter? Give me a break.
This one is on the house:
Nobody from the school has said this at all..... below is a link to a video interview with Coach Stallings, let him do the talking.
Stallings mentions Swinney in same breath as Saban
Yes, Seriously. Yes, the same reporter. Kevin Scarbinsky. The guy wrote 6 of the articles you linked and one guy begins his article by quoting Kevin's comment about dumbo. It's coming from one guy.

Dumbo doesn't get a serious look at any other coaching positions, but he's a shoe-in for AL? Amazing.

Last edited:
Next Bama board:
BamaOnLine

FrozenRopes,
"Hate me if you must but I just can't handle that cheerleader type mentality from a head coach. He is the complete opposite of Saban, Stallings, Bryant and any other good coach that has had sustained success. Okay, I'm finished with my rant.
Roll Tide"

RTR65,
"Agree. He looks like a buffoon. His team did come to play yesterday though. Much better than Tommy Bowden."

erisabama,
"just a different style and while it doesnt look right to us who like the traditional "iron fist" guy... it appears to work in relating to today's kids. See James Franklin and Will Muschamp"

tgpc,

BamaFan4Evr,
"No on
must but I just can't handle that cheerleader type mentality from a head coach. He is the complete oppo

erisabama,
"just a different style and while it

. He's a player's coach and young enough to be able to relate to them. As he matures as a head coach, I think he'll mellow in his reactions, but I recall a young Coach Bryant hoisting Coach Stallings into the air after a Bama loss. Cut him some slack....he's one of ours."

Rollin The Tide,
I, too, typically dislike a HC w/ the cheerleader-like coaching style--but, I think Dabo will grow out of it. Hell, he's only like 30, right???? Seriously, I think his age has a lot to do with it."

"If he does indeed grow out of that rah-rah, cheerleader mentality, he probably can become a great coach. I mean, save it for the locker room, you know. Players generally take on the attitude and behavior of their"

Eyelikechicken - that was interesting reading those comments about Dabs. Seriously, glad you found those and put in this thread.

I'm sure Dabs is a good guy and well liked, because I have never heard anything to the contrary. He is probably maturing as a coach and maybe some of his rah-rah stuff will settle down but I really haven't noticed that to be the case yet.

I am sure he would be one of a handful of coaches Bama would call first if Saban ever left, but that is due to a combination of his success and his being an Alabama guy. By this I mean that other power programs view Dabo the way everyone outside of Pickens County does, that is, a rah-rah guy who recruits like mad and is a bit of a goofball without much coaching acumen.

As example, I was very interested in the Florida coaching search this past offseason and looked at a lot of messages on their boards. When Dabs was brought up the comments were overwhelmingly negative and the reasons given against were just what I noted above.

Dabs is what he is. He is one of the most unique head coaches in major college football. Most successful head coaches have some a-hole as part of their personality. He hasn't shown that to be part of his. He is rah-rah, everything is great, etc.

At some point the season won't be great and fans will be ticked and Dabs will feel pressure. It happens to all coaches not named Saban or Meyer. Past experience shows Dabs get weird when the affirmation he seeks is removed. He does stupid stuff like go on a silly rant about his rival because he thought their head coach said "We aren't Clem".

It will be fun to watch when the Dabs's "everything is great" facade gets removed at some point when a season goes poorly. Everything is not great anywhere and why he needs to keep trying to sell this is weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: SportsSuites1
Scarbinsky plays to the 'home team' ... here's what he told Josh Kendall 8-10 weeks ago when contacted:

Kevin Scarbinsky, AL.com sports columnist: Between now and the season-opener against North Carolina on Sept. 3, we will ask 50 people: “What do you think about the Gamecocks in 2015?” Our second panelist is Kevin Scarbinsky, AL.com sports columnist in Birmingham.

“I think Steve Spurrier is always dangerous when people count him out. Obviously, he hasn’t picked a quarterback yet, so you have questions there. They lost so many close games last year. They played Auburn off their feet – at a point when Auburn was still playing well. I wouldn’t count him out. I think the East is wide open, and I would not be surprised, I’m not predicting it, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Gamecocks in Atlanta.”

Cruise LSU, MS State,Auburn, Georgia, 'ol Miss, Missouri, Florida it's all the same less-than-honest waffling, singing to the choir, 'you're partly right and you're partly wrong' ho-hum song.

The guy even admits he's NOT a 'football' fan he prefers basketball. He's a career Birmingham reporter, which in another decade will make him something akin to Birmingham's Mackie Quave, Bill Sharpe or Joe Pinner ... all of whom are also no-doubt 'highly qualified' to express opinions on Dabo's suitability to coach the crimson tide.

"But Momma! It was in the newspaper!!!"

So what? A 'better' gauge of Dabo's suitability are all those consecutive YouTube attempts to 'hug' SOS while being greeted with an educated 'grab, pat and tug' that precluded any chance of a photo-op with a truly 'great' football coach.

This could not be more wrong about Dabo's job security and the boosters. I know the big Clemson supporters and anyone who said that to you is not one of them. Even if your scenario somehow played out and we had a losing season, Dabo wouldn't even be near the hot seat let alone fired. We know what we have with him and we know where we're going. We are going to try to get him Coach K style tenure at Clemson but we all know that when Saban leaves Bama he will leave us if they want him.
Big "if" there. There are a few ahead of Doobo. A fella named Smart comes to mind.

Next Bama board:
BamaOnLine

FrozenRopes,
Roll Tide"

RTR65,

erisabama,

tgpc,

BamaFan4Evr,
"No one hates you for your opinion, I would just ask that you remember, he was thrust into the limelight in 2008 as an interim coach at the age of 38. Sure he had a deer-in-the-headlights look for a while. He's a player's coach and young enough to be able to relate to them. As he matures as a head coach, I think he'll mellow in his reactions, but I recall a young Coach Bryant hoisting Coach Stallings into the air after a Bama loss. Cut him some slack....he's one of ours."

Rollin The Tide,

"If he does indeed grow out of that rah-rah, cheerleader mentality, he probably can become a great coach. I mean, save it for the locker room, you know. Players generally take on the attitude and behavior of their head coach. Sure it works when everything is going great, but when adversity starts hitting and you're not jumping around anymore, what do you think the players are gonna do? To his credit (I guess) he never stopped jumping around last night and his team came back and won."

editnosmirc,
"He's 43.
He's different, but I think coaches have to be true to themselves, be authentic, or players will see right through them."

Rollin The Tide,
"Yeah, but they're Clemson. An 11-win season is pretty huge for them--especially considering that they beat a top-notch SEC program to get that 11th win. They deserve to celebrate what they accomplished...."

zigzag,
"On the other hand, there's a palpable sense of bitterness and Dabo-fatigue around here because he's getting paid big bucks to do a job that many would trade an appendage for. I'm not necessarily a Dabo fan, but I'm far from being a hater - a term that may apply to a few posters, here."

rink6670,
"Anyone care to discuss his idiotic comment, "this is a national championship team"? Some have said he was referring to LSU, but I am sure he was referring to Clemson. That was just dumb."
"You know, I don't know if I'm a hater or not. It wouldn't bother me so much if some Alabama fans didn't go overboard in their praise of him. I don't like him, and when I see Bama fans gush over him (not necessarily here), it makes me like him less. That probably doesn't make sense, but that is where I'm coming from...."

BleedsCrimson,
"He was referring to LSU. He went on to talk about it being the first time Clemson had won 11 games in decades. He certainly was not suggesting Clemson was a national championship team. He was saying the team they just beat was a national championship caliber team - Which is one of the reasons he was so excited."

Bama2212,
"Don't mind the sideline antics but for crying out loud Dabo be a little more polished when doing after game interviews. "Frickin" should not be used once in those settings but dang sure not twice. He came across as a little hickish. With all that said it doesn't really matter what he does after the game to Clemson folk if you win the game. It would just be more impressive to the general public if he acted a little more humble. I don't think he ever said anything about his opponent. My style not his I guess."

wesleygullet,
"I always root for him. I want him to keep getting better and better as a head coach. If he takes Clemson and makes them a national championship contender every season, then he could do real damage at Alabama. When Saban leaves (hopefully a long time from now), I want us to have clear cut options to choose from. I want those options to be proven winners. Whether it be Dabo, Franklin, smart, etc... I don't care as long as they win"

Aight36411,
"Clemson defeated a truly elite program for the first time under Dabo, they finished with 11 wins for thr first time in like 30 years (only the 4th time in school history with 11+ wins), and we have people complaining about a man getting emotional? Somewhere down the line society fooled everyone into thinking that a man showing emotions is a sign of weakness... I say it's weakness for a man to bottle everything up in a failed attempt to pretend he has it all together. The man was overjoyed and emotional. Let him have his day."

jaymon1974,
"not everyone does leadership the way those individuals you mentioned. they were great leaders, but there are other ways to lead. Whatever he is doing seems to be working for him. What is more important is how his players feel about him. He seems genuine to me. I am an army officer and the best advise i ever got from one of my NCOs was to be myself. He said you can't fool "joe"! what he was saying was that your people will see through bullshit. You may not like Dabo, but if his players believe in him, they will kill themselves to do what he says. That my friend is leadership. Dabo believe what he is saying. That make him very dangerous. I fear him more than most coaches I see on a daily basis. Dabo thinks he can beat nick saban. He really believes it. He wont quit. he will kill himself until he accomplishes that goal. you should respect that. sun tsu said always respect your enemy"

tosssweep26,
"I don't hate you but I don't know you. That said, I can assure you that if YOU knew Dabo, you would be every bit as big of a fan of his as I am. Sure he wears his emotion on his sleeve but his character and integrity are beyond questioning. His style may ultimately hurt him at some point but that may be the best way to win at Clemson----which he is doing. Message boards are open forums and you are free to post what you want but yours shows how little you know about a person and situation. Down vote from me."
Dude..... NONE OF THIS IS FACTUAL. It's fans on a site having a communication. Are you really hanging your hat on this as proof that Bama is interested in Dabo???? These are fans communicating! He was a former player and coach at Bama, so of course fans aren't going to ttotally trash the guy! Damn I cant wait for Clemson to lose a few games this year (just like last year) so all of you taters will go away again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT