ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn speaks out at the protest

She is a great Coach and should thank the Country that allows her to be paid extremely well to do that.
What makes you think she isn't thankful for the Country that has afforded her many opportunities? She has spoken of how proud she was to carry the USA flag in the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. Just because her viewpoints are not the same as yours or the ones you think she ought to have does not mean that she loves her Country any less than you do.

I mean, we could get rid of Dawn Staley and hire Susan Walvius back, if you guys would like? NO ONE nationally would give two shits what she would say...we have a coach who is such a national powerhouse when it comes to her opinion on certain matters (I mean, she is the USA Women’s Basketball Coach)—someone was going to want a quote (or in this case an article) about this event; and she wrote it. If you don’t like it, that’s your right. You also have the right to boycott her (and her program) moving forward. I TOTALLY disagree with the looting comment she made toward the end...But, coaches are human too; and are registered voters (how many? Who the hell knows) as well. I just CAN’T WAIT to see what comes next to divide our country even more...

Last edited:
I say everyine is entitlted to their own opinios without being attacked from either side... HOWEVER, that is your opinion and it needs to be addressed on YOUR TIME. not your employers, nopt the USC twitter page, not teh Saints twitter page, not the 49ers stadium, etc etc!! Drew Bress, Kaperknick, Dawn, whoever.. so as long as She did it on her own personal twitter, FB, Instagram, whatever, account, i have Zero problem with it.. If Kaperknick did it on his own time and not the Football field where i was saving my hard earned dollars to be able to take my family for a Day of Fun, you need to keep it at you house.. Same with Brees. If he wants to come out and support American and everything it stands for, then dont do it on the Field.. But supporting local heroes like first repsonders IMO is much better thatn supporting Rioters, but that is MY own Opinion many on here Hate Police, that is your perrogative, I support them 100%....

I say everyine is entitlted to their own opinios without being attacked from either side... HOWEVER, that is your opinion and it needs to be addressed on YOUR TIME. not your employers, nopt the USC twitter page, not teh Saints twitter page, not the 49ers stadium, etc etc!! Drew Bress, Kaperknick, Dawn, whoever.. so as long as She did it on her own personal twitter, FB, Instagram, whatever, account, i have Zero problem with it.. If Kaperknick did it on his own time and not the Football field where i was saving my hard earned dollars to be able to take my family for a Day of Fun, you need to keep it at you house.. Same with Brees. If he wants to come out and support American and everything it stands for, then dont do it on the Field.. But supporting local heroes like first repsonders IMO is much better thatn supporting Rioters, but that is MY own Opinion many on here Hate Police, that is your perrogative, I support them 100%....
Hold the phone there. These people are given a platform by virtue of the glorification of sports in our country. I was against it at first, and certainly, if the people who run the show want to outlaw such, they are free to do so. But if you genuinely believe in a cause and have a huge platform on which to help spread your message and then don't, that's doing your cause injustice. Certainly, anyone who does this should get their supervisor's permission to do so first, but we can assume anyone not being restricted by the team owner or University president has the OK to do it. If the University or Team is ok with it, why are you against it? Again, do you talk about things you like at work with your coworkers/friends? They are doing the exact same thing, except their voice has amplification.

As Paladin said, you never talk about your opinions when you are being paid? I certainly do. I know few people that never give their opinions about political matters, current issues, etc on the clock.

coaches certainly give various opinions on hot button issues on the clock, at press conferences, etc. that’s not new. Not sure why Dawn should be held to a different standard.

i think those of us with a brain can distinguish between the opinion of a coach and realize their opinion is not necessarily the official position of a university. A person would have to be ignorant to not understand the difference.

plus, maybe Dawn’s opinion is shared by top university officials. There is also that possibility, and they might want her to share it. That is quite possible.

Hold the phone there. These people are given a platform by virtue of the glorification of sports in our country. I was against it at first, and certainly, if the people who run the show want to outlaw such, they are free to do so. But if you genuinely believe in a cause and have a huge platform on which to help spread your message and then don't, that's doing your cause injustice. Certainly, anyone who does this should get their supervisor's permission to do so first, but we can assume anyone not being restricted by the team owner or University president has the OK to do it. If the University or Team is ok with it, why are you against it? Again, do you talk about things you like at work with your coworkers/friends? They are doing the exact same thing, except their voice has amplification.
i would never put a Trump sticker on my desk at work, Nor go to my customers expressing my feelings toward Trump, BLM or even the Gamecocks, but I am not Dawn, Drew or that other nike dude. I am just telling you my Opinion!! so we will agree to disagree....

i would never put a Trump sticker on my desk at work, Nor go to my customers expressing my feelings toward Trump, BLM or even the Gamecocks, but I am not Dawn, Drew or that other nike dude. I am just telling you my Opinion!! so we will agree to disagree....
And that's fine, we can disagree. That's your prerogative, and you are not forced to talk politics at work. I don't necessarily completely agree with her message, but I see why she's delivering it. Her cause is not my cause. But I get it. I also see your perspective. I also shared it a few months ago. But trying to silence people leads to them shouting louder. And if Shouting doesn't work, maybe they start throwing bricks. It's not right, but when you need to be heard and no one will listen, sometimes you'll go to extreme measures to get someone's attention.

And that's fine, we can disagree. That's your prerogative, and you are not forced to talk politics at work. I don't necessarily completely agree with her message, but I see why she's delivering it. Her cause is not my cause. But I get it. I also see your perspective. I also shared it a few months ago. But trying to silence people leads to them shouting louder. And if Shouting doesn't work, maybe they start throwing bricks. It's not right, but when you need to be heard and no one will listen, sometimes you'll go to extreme measures to get someone's attention.
Yep you are correct Keep shouting and attacking until everyone beleive the way you believe or until everyone does what YOU want them to do?? Sorry, that isnt always the case, even if you want it to be..... I will defend my postion despite you attacking me, over and over... Thank goodness we didnt let Hitler has his way... (not saying you Paladin, just as a rule)

Reactions: paladin181
Yep you are correct Keep shouting and attacking until everyone beleive the way you believe or until everyone does what YOU want them to do?? Sorry, that isnt always the case, even if you want it to be..... I will defend my postion despite you attacking me, over and over... Thank goodness we didnt let Hitler has his way... (not saying you Paladin, just as a rule)
Oh, I get it. It's not right, necessarily. But I understand it. I know I haven't attacked you. Civil discussion. What a novel concept! :)

Reactions: cockofdawn
Not mad. I just think it's not right for the University to promote it. She encouraged people to vote for someone other than Trump... read it again. It;s fine for her to say it but not for the University to promote the sentiment. Freedom of speech (but not free from consequences of speech) is a tricky thing. The Sacramento Kings broadcaster was suspended for Tweeting "All lives matter." With innocent police being attacked by rioters, why was this wrong. Anyway, this is what Staley said which again, by itself is fine. It's just not right for USC to promote it.

"Trump is the president of the United States, and if he’s not unifying, he’s not helping.

Him saying, “When the looting starts, the shooting starts” … that type of statement is not helping anybody. That’s not unifying this country. We need a unifier in the position of the most powerful person in the world.

If you can’t be the president for every American, then we as the VOTERS need to change that.

You want something different?

Then we as the VOTERS need to do something different. "
To be fair, nobody can be president for everybody. Now having said that, I do think it's important for the POTUS (whoever holds that office at any given time) to try to reach out to all Americans with a kind, unifying spirit. And if there are those Americans who reject such an approach, it's on them, not the POTUS.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
.... I look at people for character and actions never by racial color.....

Straight from Dr. King. That's how I try to live my life as well.

I try to be colour-blind in my demeanor, but unfortunately cannot be since too many other are not.

I hope that the end result is that we are all more sensitive and aware of those who are targeted due to their skin colour and/or genital makeup, and loudly and publicly proclaim "NO MORE."

Reactions: nikolas22
I say everyine is entitlted to their own opinios without being attacked from either side... HOWEVER, that is your opinion and it needs to be addressed on YOUR TIME. not your employers, nopt the USC twitter page, not teh Saints twitter page, not the 49ers stadium, etc etc!! Drew Bress, Kaperknick, Dawn, whoever.. so as long as She did it on her own personal twitter, FB, Instagram, whatever, account, i have Zero problem with it.. If Kaperknick did it on his own time and not the Football field where i was saving my hard earned dollars to be able to take my family for a Day of Fun, you need to keep it at you house.. Same with Brees. If he wants to come out and support American and everything it stands for, then dont do it on the Field.. But supporting local heroes like first repsonders IMO is much better thatn supporting Rioters, but that is MY own Opinion many on here Hate Police, that is your perogative, I support them 100%....

I support the network and telecom engineers who have kept the internet running which enable me (and ALL of you) to post comments such as this one, as well as being able to use and participate in Zoom conferences.

This is one of the best comments I have seen regarding contemporary issues. I see reasonableness, responsibility, and respect throughout the post. Thank you.

Reactions: paladin181
As Paladin said, you never talk about your opinions when you are being paid? I certainly do. I know few people that never give their opinions about political matters, current issues, etc on the clock.

coaches certainly give various opinions on hot button issues on the clock, at press conferences, etc. that’s not new. Not sure why Dawn should be held to a different standard.

i think those of us with a brain can distinguish between the opinion of a coach and realize their opinion is not necessarily the official position of a university. A person would have to be ignorant to not understand the difference.

plus, maybe Dawn’s opinion is shared by top university officials. There is also that possibility, and they might want her to share it. That is quite possible.

I think USC officials do share the DS position. As reported on an FGF post, a USC student made a racially derogatory post in response to the DS article, and president Caslen gave DS positive support and stated that USC would investigate.

Dawn Staley needs to just focus on basketball and leave social commentary out of things!

How dare people criticize Drew Brees for making public statements. It’s a free county he can express his opinion as he sees fit!

Dawn Staley needs to just focus on basketball and leave social commentary out of things!

How dare people criticize Drew Brees for making public statements. It’s a free county he can express his opinion as he sees fit!

I disagree. I’m ok with both sharing an opinion. I’m also ok with people pushing back.

I think USC officials do share the DS position. As reported on an FGF post, a USC student made a racially derogatory post in response to the DS article, and president Caslen gave DS positive support and stated that USC would investigate.

I think they likely do.

we had coaches speak up on the confederate flag. We have other issues from time to time. I’m ok with that.

I don’t do that either. I have coworkers that put stickers on their company cars but I never display anything like that. However, I know some people that would prefer to know where someone stands on such issues instead of not knowing.

I once had a customer (A business owner in South Carolina) ask me my opinion on Barack Obama when he had just been elected for the first time. This was totally out of left field because we were not discussing politics or the news, or anything except business.

I didn’t vote for him but the customer starting using racist language to describe him which really bothered me and put me in a very uncomfortable position. He then told me he didn’t do business with anyone that supported Obama. I told him I didn’t come to talk politics and he was putting me in a bad position. This guy had confederate flags all over his office. I barely was able to change the subject.

I have regretted my cowardice many times since that day. If that happens again, I’ll tell the guy to shove it up his backside and walk out.

"I’m a black woman first."

I have yet to hear anyone on this 10 page thread comment on this statement from Dawn Staley.

It tells you a lot about where her head is and to me is highly problematic. As I stated previously, if Will Muschamp made the statement 'I'm a white man first", what do you think would happen?

I'm looking forward to the team's protest walk in response to the black policeman of 38 years that was murdered by the rioters. Haven't really heard any uproar about him. What's the story here?

I hear you re: DS, and that's ideal.

But DS is a role model for many people, and I think she had to speak out.

FM talks about guiding his players to be men all the time. And speaking out on social issues is one way to be a role model, i.e., it really ends up being part of the job of a college (and high school) coach.

"I’m a black woman first."

I have yet to hear anyone on this 10 page thread comment on this statement from Dawn Staley.

It tells you a lot about where her head is and to me is highly problematic. As I stated previously, if Will Muschamp made the statement 'I'm a white man first", what do you think would happen?

If you don’t know the difference, I feel sorry for you.

I hear you re: DS, and that's ideal.

But DS is a role model for many people, and I think she had to speak out.

FM talks about guiding his players to be men all the time. And speaking out on social issues is one way to be a role model, i.e., it really ends up being part of the job of a college (and high school) coach.
I was being sarcastic. There are a number of people on this thread complaining about Staley and praising Brees on the other. The only difference is they like one message and the other hurts their feelings.

These protestors...if they really want to make a change in our society...they need to register to vote and run for office. They could certainly make a change in this world. Dawn Staley has chosen to be outspoken on this movement. If we aren’t a “black woman”...we cannot walk in her shoes.

Reactions: Rollerdude123
These protestors...if they really want to make a change in our society...they need to register to vote and run for office. They could certainly make a change in this world. Dawn Staley has chosen to be outspoken on this movement. If we aren’t a “black woman”...we cannot walk in her shoes.

Per CNBC

• Voter registrations, volunteer activity and donations for groups linked to Democratic causes are surging in the midst of protests following the death of George Floyd, according to voting advocacy organizations.

To be fair, nobody can be president for everybody. Now having said that, I do think it's important for the POTUS (whoever holds that office at any given time) to try to reach out to all Americans with a kind, unifying spirit. And if there are those Americans who reject such an approach, it's on them, not the POTUS.

Donald J Trump, its impossible for him to find.. a kind , unifying spirit.. he has none, a Psychopath has none

Donald J Trump, its impossible for him to find.. a kind , unifying spirit.. he has none, a Psychopath has none

He’s not someone that appreciates unity on anything. He thrives off chaos. Even some of his former staff members (Sean spicer for one) have admitted that.

trump realizes the way he wins is make his base furious. The problem is he’s also motivated the other size much more this time around that he did in 2016.

he also has a demography problem. The number of working class whites continues to decline. Trump doesn’t favor as well with college educated people.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...working-class-in-u-s-spells-trouble-for-trump

Yet bumbling, stumbling, crooked Joe is the man. The front man for the deep state. He was VP for 8 years and name something he actually did. I can name one. He was in charge of Ukraine corruption. Oops. Before you throw your character analysis out there, you may want to throw some proving facts. Name calling the left's go to game.

Yet bumbling, stumbling, crooked Joe is the man. The front man for the deep state. He was VP for 8 years and name something he actually did. I can name one. He was in charge of Ukraine corruption. Oops. Before you throw your character analysis out there, you may want to throw some proving facts. Name calling the left's go to game.
Dude, you were posting at 3am and you're still going. Maybe take a break. Get a shower, get a nice hot meal. Do something productive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT