ADVERTISEMENT

Did Joyner Show us What Satterfield was Hoping for in a Healthy Doty?

Joyner had previously not shown quite that throwing ability so the coaches probably didn't know he'd be capable of it until they got into bowl practices.
Joyner always had the same throwing ability. He had a good arm in high school.

Granted, he probably was not as accurate as Col. Zeb, Brown, etc. But he always had a pretty good arm. I really don't know why he did not do better in the wildcat as a runner with more controlled and somewhat limited pass plays. I always thought Muschamp was setting up a long pass play (that we saw in the UNC game), but it never happened.

Question: Isn't in the running as a wildcat QB, again with somewhat limited passing, next season?

That's ONE pass. Congratulations. And he usually followed those up with wildly off the mark passes.

As for my posting, I'll post whatever the hell I want, WHENever the hell I want, thank you. If it bothers you so much, I highly recommend putting me on ignore, Karen.
I donā€™t believe Doty is the next Connor Shaw, but to say he is wildly inaccurate is inaccurate in its own accord. His career completion percentage (very limited I know) so far is on par with Kenny Pickett Malik Willis, and Sam Howell.

His completion percentage is not far off of what Trevor Lawrenceā€™s was at this point in his career. Again, not saying he is the game changer the above are/were, but he isnā€™t as bad as some want to make him seem either. Keep in mind, he still doesnā€™t have a full yearā€™s worth of PT yet.

Without a doubt, Doty (who reportedly was a faster QB than Shaw) was the chosen QB to scheme for this team's strengths/weaknesses, but with his nagging injury, Satterfield had to adjust for Zeb instead. And a less than 100% healthy Harris didn't help matters with a below average blocking O-line and a less than mobile QB taking the majority of the snaps.

I know it's one game but for the moment, I believe we saw what Satterfield can do with a QB who can make plays with his legs.
True but perhaps what we saw was an OC actually earning his paycheck in a bad situation and getting extremely creative. Iā€™ll lean more there until I see more

I donā€™t believe Doty is the next Connor Shaw, but to say he is wildly inaccurate is inaccurate in its own accord. His career completion percentage (very limited I know) so far is on par with Kenny Pickett Malik Willis, and Sam Howell.

His completion percentage is not far off of what Trevor Lawrenceā€™s was at this point in his career. Again, not saying he is the game changer the above are/were, but he isnā€™t as bad as some want to make him seem either. Keep in mind, he still doesnā€™t have a full yearā€™s worth of PT yet.
That small sample size cuts both ways though. If we're going to compare his positive passing to the likes of SH and KP and the like, doesn't that have to be mitigated by the the fact it's such a small sample size?

Also, what kind of passes is he completing? I can think of a small handful of down field passes he completed or were really on target compared to the out routes and swing passes that were completed -- not to mention the ones of those he missed badly.

But it's not just his arm. I like the kid, but he just doesn't seem to have very good pocket awareness or field vision. I just don't see him as the future here.

Reactions: kidrobinski
Maybe, maybe not. Like I said, I'm not advocating one way or the other. Just the Zeb situation felt like mismanagement of talent. Given how Satterfield is on record multiple times this season saying things about playcalling and personnel usage while the results on the field have been largely head-scrachting (at best), I'm just not ready to give him the benefit of the doubt after his third good game plan of the season.
Totally agree for several reasons that are not going to be popular with your adversaries in this thread.

1. Based upon the actual comments made by Satterfield regarding the type of QB necessary to run the offensive system he was trying to implement, Zeb was the exact opposite of what was needed.

2. Doty went down with a foot injury on Aug 14, a full 3 weeks prior to our home opener against THE easiest team on our schedule. So, having more time to prepare Joyner prior to the bowl game is not valid. And, there were fewer practices in preparation for the bowl game than there were prior to the first game of our season. There was ample time to get Joyner ready prior to the season, and definitely prior to the bowl game.

3. Joyner was available throughout the Spring, throughout the summer player held practices, and all of fall practice. During the spring, he received the following accolades/awards:
* 2021 Joe Morrison Co-Offensive Player of the Spring
* 2021 Jim Carlen Special Teams Player of the Spring
* 2021 Harold White GPA Award - Offense

Where was Satterfield when these awards were handed out? What awards did Zeb receive?

4. Joyner was a key player in our 2019 upset of UGa in Athens. Playing in relief of an injured Ryan Hilinksi, Joyner came in and completed 6 of 12 passes for 39 yards and ran for and additional 28 yards on 6 carries - all while nursing a hamstring injury. Even with a hamstring injury he had more mobility than Zeb ever did. And, mobility is a key element for a successfully run Satterfield offense.

5. Joyner's time spent at WR gave him an edge when it came to knowing the routes being run, where the ball needed to go, the individual strengths and possible weaknesses of all the receivers in the room. He would be much better prepared to lead an offense as QB this time around than in 2019.

Yep, There were better options than Zeb when Doty went down. And, it sure seems Joyner would have been a much better option.

Joyner always had the same throwing ability. He had a good arm in high school.

Granted, he probably was not as accurate as Col. Zeb, Brown, etc. But he always had a pretty good arm. I really don't know why he did not do better in the wildcat as a runner with more controlled and somewhat limited pass plays. I always thought Muschamp was setting up a long pass play (that we saw in the UNC game), but it never happened.

Question: Isn't in the running as a wildcat QB, again with somewhat limited passing, next season?
He hasn't shown much velocity and that's why a lot of big names didn't want him at QB, don't know why you think I was talking about accuracy because he's shown that's not an issue.

I never even suggested it moron, I said I'll keep calling you out.
You don't even have to praise the coaches, you would help a lot by just keeping your opinions to yourself for a year or so and seeing what happens.
Don't tell me you weren't telling me to not post.

Like I said, I'll continue to say what tf I want. You can "call me out" how you see fit. And I'll respond in kind.

Happy New Year, jackass.

Reactions: kidrobinski

Like I said, I'll continue to say what tf I want. You can "call me out" how you see fit. And I'll respond in kind.

Happy New Year, jackass.
What was the sentence before that cutoff. I said I'll argue against you as long as you criticize the coaches until they've been here long enough to deserve it. You deserve my criticism and will as long as you keep on. I'm only exercising the same freedom to speak you have and saying your opinion is garbage and doesn't help isn't interfering with your ability to speak, it's just darn good advice, you self assured joy killing ne'er-do-well jackass.

Happy New Year, jackass.
Like, why do you think Beamer called that crap out? Do you think he considers it a negative thing that hurts or do you think that the way to being a P5 had coach is by having a thin-skin?

What was the sentence before that cutoff. I said I'll argue against you as long as you criticize the coaches until they've been here long enough to deserve it. You deserve my criticism and will as long as you keep on. I'm only exercising the same freedom to speak you have and saying your opinion is garbage and doesn't help isn't interfering with your ability to speak, it's just darn good advice, you self assured joy killing ne'er-do-well jackass.
You mad? We both read what you wrote. Sorry you want to whitewash it. But whatever.

You can keep acting like Satterfield is the second-coming despite all the BS he pulled all season. I'll maintain he has called a whopping THREE good games this year and looked pretty crappy in all the other ones.

So you do whatever you need to do, cupcake. And I'll do whatever I feel inclined to do.

Toodles.

You mad? We both read what you wrote. Sorry you want to whitewash it. But whatever.

You can keep acting like Satterfield is the second-coming despite all the BS he pulled all season. I'll maintain he has called a whopping THREE good games this year and looked pretty crappy in all the other ones.

So you do whatever you need to do, cupcake. And I'll do whatever I feel inclined to do.

Toodles.
I never said he was the second coming, I said he had a dumpster fire to with with and he deserves a chance, we grew through the year and you won't give him credit for it. You're bent out of shape by a rhetorical tool, I'm happy to keep criticizing you and it's not about you, it's about you being wrong, if you say wrong things I'll call you out, I didn't literally mean shut up genius, I mean I'm gonna stay on you while you hurt the perception of the program.

Edit: by the way, your said Doty had one pass, I sited a load of other ones elsewhere in this thread. You are wrong, every issue we had at the start got better, the offers writhed when everything clicked and we're addressing the passing, what does it really hurt to see where it goes before writing off everyone and why doesn't Joyner's surprise performance not make you think you shouldn't write members of OUR team off so easily?

I never said he was the second coming, I said he had a dumpster fire to with with and he deserves a chance, we grew through the year and you won't give him credit for it. You're bent out of shape by a rhetorical tool, I'm happy to keep criticizing you and it's not about you, it's about you being wrong, if you say wrong things I'll call you out, I didn't literally mean shut up genius, I mean I'm gonna stay on you while you hurt the perception of the program.

Anyone? Or was 90% of my ire and frustration directed at Satterfield. (NEWSFLASH: I'm far from alone.)

If you want to act like a tough guy over my posts, at least read for accuracy. šŸ™„
Doty? You're premature either way. Only teams that had more yardage than us against NC were Virginia and Wake Forest, both of which had QBs we would've definitely started over Joyner and OCs people have said we should hire instead.

Edit: just to be clear, the question mark on Doty isn't me asking if you've criticized him, the question is if you seriously ignored that. I'm sure you'll claim that want ire, even though that's not what I said.

Doty? You're premature either way. Only teams that had more yardage than us against NC were Virginia and Wake Forest, both of which had QBs we would've definitely started over Joyner and OCs people have said we should hire instead.
I said I have my doubts about Doty. But with Rattler coming in, I would be shocked if Doty started next year. And if you're being honest, so would you.

It is most definitely not premature when it comes to Satterfield. He had a less than impressive track record coming in. (Not to mention, no one had even wanted him calling plays for years.) And despite yesterday's rare good showing, it's an exception to his overall body work.

I said I have my doubts about Doty. But with Rattler coming in, I would be shocked if Doty started next year. And if you're being honest, so would you.

It is most definitely not premature when it comes to Satterfield. He had a less than impressive track record coming in. (Not to mention, no one had even wanted him calling plays for years.) And despite yesterday's rare good showing, it's an exception to his overall body work.
I'm expecting Doty backup next year, did you not previously lament Beamer's hire? Genuine question, I may be lumping you with others.

I donā€™t believe the UNC game showed us anything more about the O game plan with Doty than when he was actually playing. I give credit they played to the players strengths and were creative formationally, motions, Achebeā€™s, etc but my frustration is where was that before? You wonā€™t get 12-15 practices before each game so figure it out.

I'm expecting Doty backup next year, did you not previously lament Beamer's hire? Genuine question, I may be lumping you with others.
I was against the hire, but especially the process that got him here. I still wanted him to win, and have been happy when he has. I AM a Gamecock lifer, after all. But that doesn't mean that I think he is the next HOFer just yet.

But I really think he's handcuffing himself with Satterfield. It's an offense-driven game now, and he's not going to get the luxury of 5-6 years to prove he's got it. There's still time to get the offense staff straightened out. (I've become VERY impressed with what the D staff can do with lesser talent.) Unfortunately, the overall offensive numbers don't lie.

But until Satterfield can call a good game and actually follow it up with more of the same (and do it against good defenses), I will remain a skeptic and a critic.

Dak was on the team when Doty went down, right? Also, he was probably already in playing shape too. So why did Satterfield "have" to adjust for Zeb, who wasn't even a player on the team when it happened? šŸ¤”
because dak was way behind where doty was? i think rattler will have his hands full beating out a healthy doty. think about it. doty was a clear cut number 1 when healthy. what playing time he got was while injured so they did what they could with zeb and jason. its a good problem to have, but we have some talent in the qb room and its gonna be hard to make em all happy

I donā€™t believe the UNC game showed us anything more about the O game plan with Doty than when he was actually playing. I give credit they played to the players strengths and were creative formationally, motions, Achebeā€™s, etc but my frustration is where was that before? You wonā€™t get 12-15 practices before each game so figure it out.
man how often did you see doty run? it was always as a last resort. no doubt it was because of not being healthy.

because dak was way behind where doty was? i think rattler will have his hands full beating out a healthy doty. think about it. doty was a clear cut number 1 when healthy. what playing time he got was while injured so they did what they could with zeb and jason. its a good problem to have, but we have some talent in the qb room and its gonna be hard to make em all happy
Before I rehash this entire thread, can you do us both a favor and just re-read all of my other posts?

Before I rehash this entire thread, can you do us both a favor and just re-read all of my other posts?
sure, it sounds like you got a hardon for satterfield. but a smart person would understand that the only time his offense didnt work was when our o-line was dominated. and that happens with every offensive coordinator whose o-line got dominated. but none of that changes what i said in previous post. doty will be a major threat to rattler next year

Reactions: AngloCock
sure, it sounds like you got a hardon for satterfield. but a smart person would understand that the only time his offense didnt work was when our o-line was dominated. and that happens with every offensive coordinator whose o-line got dominated. but none of that changes what i said in previous post. doty will be a major threat to rattler next year
1. What I have for Satterfield is the exact opposite of a hard-on (it's hyphenated, btw).

2. Smarter people realize that same OL could at least run block last year, to the tune of the SEC's leading rusher no less. But yeah, I'm sure it was losing ONE starter from that unit that made them look incompetent and NOT the new OL coach and OC and his "scheme."

3. Lol at that last point.

Joynerā€™s quarterback talents have been overlooked by 2 different staffs. Makes me wonder
Totally agree for several reasons that are not going to be popular with your adversaries in this thread.

1. Based upon the actual comments made by Satterfield regarding the type of QB necessary to run the offensive system he was trying to implement, Zeb was the exact opposite of what was needed.

2. Doty went down with a foot injury on Aug 14, a full 3 weeks prior to our home opener against THE easiest team on our schedule. So, having more time to prepare Joyner prior to the bowl game is not valid. And, there were fewer practices in preparation for the bowl game than there were prior to the first game of our season. There was ample time to get Joyner ready prior to the season, and definitely prior to the bowl game.

3. Joyner was available throughout the Spring, throughout the summer player held practices, and all of fall practice. During the spring, he received the following accolades/awards:
* 2021 Joe Morrison Co-Offensive Player of the Spring
* 2021 Jim Carlen Special Teams Player of the Spring
* 2021 Harold White GPA Award - Offense

Where was Satterfield when these awards were handed out? What awards did Zeb receive?

4. Joyner was a key player in our 2019 upset of UGa in Athens. Playing in relief of an injured Ryan Hilinksi, Joyner came in and completed 6 of 12 passes for 39 yards and ran for and additional 28 yards on 6 carries - all while nursing a hamstring injury. Even with a hamstring injury he had more mobility than Zeb ever did. And, mobility is a key element for a successfully run Satterfield offense.

5. Joyner's time spent at WR gave him an edge when it came to knowing the routes being run, where the ball needed to go, the individual strengths and possible weaknesses of all the receivers in the room. He would be much better prepared to lead an offense as QB this time around than in 2019.

Yep, There were better options than Zeb when Doty went down. And, it sure seems Joyner would have been a much better option.
Joyner has been overlooked for 3 years now. sad, kid shouldā€™ve Transferred the moment they listed both Bentley and Hilinski ahead of him. Neither of them are doing a darn thing now. Kid has always been a winner. Going to be an interesting battle for 2nd string quarterback positions next spring. Joyner has earned the privilege of being in the room and competing.

Edit: just to be clear, the question mark on Doty isn't me asking if you've criticized him, the question is if you seriously ignored that. I'm sure you'll claim that want ire, even though that's not what I said.
Longo? I hope not. Took over Werner's offense at Ole Miss and messed it up. Was great between the 20's but consistently bogged down in the red zone.

I think Doty is more likely to win the job than anyone not named Rattler, but it would be a surprise if he did.

I was against the hire, but especially the process that got him here. I still wanted him to win, and have been happy when he has. I AM a Gamecock lifer, after all. But that doesn't mean that I think he is the next HOFer just yet.

But I really think he's handcuffing himself with Satterfield. It's an offense-driven game now, and he's not going to get the luxury of 5-6 years to prove he's got it. There's still time to get the offense staff straightened out. (I've become VERY impressed with what the D staff can do with lesser talent.) Unfortunately, the overall offensive numbers don't lie.

But until Satterfield can call a good game and actually follow it up with more of the same (and do it against good defenses), I will remain a skeptic and a critic.
Yeah, be a skeptic, but you've been a pretty aggressive critic of Beamer and I just think you could've held off on that (if I'm remembering correctly)

Longo? I hope not. Took over Werner's offense at Ole Miss and messed it up. Was great between the 20's but consistently bogged down in the red zone.
Not NC's OC, Wake Forest's and Virginia's. I've seen both day things like "must be nice having a real OC" or even advocating for either over the season when these teams came up.

Reactions: rogue cock
Did you think he could put together that game passing, because you saw the same tape they did. If all they saw of his passing was the lackluster record we have before he changed positions, then I don't know why they would expect more. Also, it's not like he has the best arm. He was accurate but I'd love you to point me to a throw that had anything like NFL velocity on it. We gameplanned around his strengths and got him prepared to play the game of his college career ove 15 practices, there is no room to criticize him anymore than there would be room to criticize Tanner for not having Roth pitch until the elimination game against Clemson

UNC also gameplanned for Zeb. They were not prepared to play against a mobile QB. Kudos to Satterfield and Beamer for shocking the shit out of UNC and catching them unprepared. It was genius. I didn't really expect it to work the whole game but after Dak hit a few passes, his confidence was high and we continued to use him successfully. Our ability to run the football was what really made the difference though. Before the game I looked up UNC's stats and saw that they were giving up an average of 170 yards rushing per game and I said that if we could match that we would have a chance. Well we ended up with 300 yards rushing. It's hard to lose when you get that kind of production on the ground.

If Bama and Georgia have quarterbacks who can make plays with their feet, then we definitely need one. Unfortunately, Doty hurts his foot, so we don't know if he's That Guy yet. We can hope.

UNC also gameplanned for Zeb. They were not prepared to play against a mobile QB. Kudos to Satterfield and Beamer for shocking the shit out of UNC and catching them unprepared. It was genius. I didn't really expect it to work the whole game but after Dak hit a few passes, his confidence was high and we continued to use him successfully. Our ability to run the football was what really made the difference though. Before the game I looked up UNC's stats and saw that they were giving up an average of 170 yards rushing per game and I said that if we could match that we would have a chance. Well we ended up with 300 yards rushing. It's hard to lose when you get that kind of production on the ground.
UNC was bumfuzzled on the very first play; the look and body language from their defense was priceless. Zeb comes out from sideline, huddles up looking at the wristband playbook, then splits out wide with Joyner at QB, hand-off to Bell on a sweep for a big gain.

If Bama and Georgia have quarterbacks who can make plays with their feet, then we definitely need one. Unfortunately, Doty hurts his foot, so we don't know if he's That Guy yet. We can hope.
If he had shown an indication of being able to operate at that level BEFORE the foot, it could be argued that he has potential to be That Guy. He didn't, therefore he's most probably not, and thus a cognizant argument is difficult and problematic. He must be a hell of a practice player.

They also did a really good job scheming up some open guys and really didn't ask him to make some really difficult passes, which isn't me trying to say he wasn't very capable, but he really wasn't asked to hit real tight windows. I don't know how much piece that plan would've generated in some of our tougher games but it was a hell of a way to create offense. I just wish DK had some NFL zip because his accuracy and decision making was ideal.

I loved seeing DK finally have his day, he's been loyal and done what's been asked of him to help the team. At the same time, I was cringing thinking of all the talk we'll get to hear over the next week on internet and radio about how Joyner should have been the QB all along and our coaches don't know what they're doing yada yada. Dak played because Zeb has zero running skills and he came ready to play. NC's defense didn't make it incredibly difficult, not taking anything away from Dak. I think that first big passing touchdown did wonders for his confidence. Dak would not have had near that type of success in the SEC over the season IMHO. He was a hero on yesterday though. Well deserved!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT