ADVERTISEMENT

Did Joyner Show us What Satterfield was Hoping for in a Healthy Doty?

Did you remember Spurrier being unable to gain 10 yards in 3 quarters? Spurrier didn’t suck for 9 games and was only good if given extra time. What’s laughable is how y’all can have straight facts in front of your face and bare your head in the sand instead of admitting it.

Spurrier lost to Vandy 2 years in a row, scoring 6 points one year and 17 the next, both lower than the 21 we scored this year.

Reactions: myrtlecock
What's there to defend? I couldn't explain it then and I can't now. They just woke up that day drinking acid and spitting nails.

I probably put it on the fact that Florida had given up on its coach and season more than much of anything else.

So you think it’s they just woke up ready to play the 3 days is more likely why we played well than the fact we had extra time to learn the game plan?

Odd are we won’t see the same level next year. Rattler’s experience and prior coaching should compensate for the play calling. The problem is going to be once he’s gone and we have project QBs who have received no coaching.

Then why didn't that "experience and prior coaching" help him at Oklahoma?

He won't need to compensate for anything. That's just another stupid negative spin on what you know is already going to be a better offense.

Why? Because its just like I've been telling you all season. You need a talented QB.

So you think it’s they just woke up ready to play the 3 days is more likely why we played well than the fact we had extra time to learn the game plan?
Like I have already said I have no idea I'm just throw a crap against the wall here. So are you. Maybe they studied more... Maybe somebody cursed their mother. I don't see how having a little more time to game plan for a team is some indictment on the coaches ability either way.
That's just you talking.
And that's fine. You could guess, and complain, and wish all you want but you don't make decisions about which coaches we hire and fire... Thanks to God for that!

What's there to defend? I couldn't explain it then and I can't now. They just woke up that day drinking acid and spitting nails.

I probably put it on the fact that Florida had given up on its coach and season more than much of anything else.

This is what I was thinking. Of the three good games, EIU was horrendously overrated, and I do believe Florida mailed it in big time.

This is what I was thinking. Of the three good games, EIU was horrendously overrated, and I do believe Florida mailed it in big time.
The Gators were absolutely done. I live in Gainesville you know. That atmosphere around the team down here was positively toxic. No way they were playing with any heart for Mullen.

As far as Eastern Illinois goes I don't know how they were overrated they're one of the lowest rated teams in all of college football. I mean they're barely above a high school team. And we didn't exactly dominate them.

We had a bad team this year there's no two ways around it. If Kevin Harris had it been 100%, and playing with the fire he was last year possibly we look a little better. Certainly if we had a quarterback of any skill playing at 100% we could have been better.

That's why to me this was year zero for the coaching staff. Next year they're definitely on the clock.

So, you have to score 40 points to have a "good" game offensively?

With this team? LOL.

What do you consider a "great" game?

I know right! No surprise to me that that's a surprise to you. What's in your wallet?
AU fires Bobo....his offense was ranked 62nd....our offense is....wait for it: 111th
UF fires Grantham....his defense was ranked 51st....our defense is ranked 41st with a patchwork backfield.

But the Satterfield homers are stunned that anyone would suggest his job was in jeopardy after his offense averaged a whopping 16 pts/game v SEC teams at the end of October. 16 pts....that includes a come from behind win over powerhouse Vandy with :37 on the clock.

What's in your wallet?

AU fires Bobo....his offense was ranked 62nd....our offense is....wait for it: 111th
UF fires Grantham....his defense was ranked 51st....our defense is ranked 41st with a patchwork backfield.

But the Satterfield homers are stunned that anyone would suggest his job was in jeopardy after his offense averaged a whopping 16 pts/game v SEC teams at the end of October. 16 pts....that includes a come from behind win over powerhouse Vandy with :37 on the clock.

What's in your wallet?
I'm not stunned that you would suggest firing a coach. Not even a little bit.

I've been here a long time I'm pretty used to this.

I'm just not on the team that thinks it's the right thing to do right now. And I happen to be on the team that's going to win at least for this year. His job is not, and was not in jeopardy. Not this year.

I don't have to go over the differences between our program and those you're talking about. Not only when it comes to expectations but what they had as far as personnel and players. You know all that.

You miss 2005 season?
Yeah, that's the one where we brought back an OL more talented than any we would have again until 2010, multiple WRs, Syvelle Newton, Blake Mitchell and a great albeit underutilized RB in one Cory Boyd, wasn't it? The only year Spurrier had so little to with with offensively was 2015 and that was his own fault.

Then why didn't that "experience and prior coaching" help him at Oklahoma?

He won't need to compensate for anything. That's just another stupid negative spin on what you know is already going to be a better offense.

Why? Because its just like I've been telling you all season. You need a talented QB.
Talented players can compensate for bad coaching. Of course if he was so bad in Oklahoma then I don’t know why anyone would want him here. He probably won’t even on the two deep since Doty and Gauthier have received so much more time with Satterfield.

If Doty, Gauthier, Davis or Bailey take over for Rattler and maintain a top half of the SEC offense that might be something to talk about. Odds are Satterfield will get an extension coming out of next season so we’ll see what happens.

The Gators were absolutely done. I live in Gainesville you know. That atmosphere around the team down here was positively toxic. No way they were playing with any heart for Mullen.

As far as Eastern Illinois goes I don't know how they were overrated they're one of the lowest rated teams in all of college football. I mean they're barely above a high school team. And we didn't exactly dominate them.

We had a bad team this year there's no two ways around it. If Kevin Harris had it been 100%, and playing with the fire he was last year possibly we look a little better. Certainly if we had a quarterback of any skill playing at 100% we could have been better.

That's why to me this was year zero for the coaching staff. Next year they're definitely on the clock.

My bad, I intended to type horrendously overmatched. I will blame the autocorrect on my phone. 😀 (actually, it was that, it just tried to auto change it again)

What's in your wallet?
Auburn had a better roster, Mullen had been at UF a few years and that was his players he was losing with and that's not why he got fired, it was bad recruiting, having a bad attitude with the fans and press, making no year to year improvement on defense and having his offense fall apart with his players with no signs of a turn around.

Yeah, that's the one where we brought back an OL more talented than any we would have again until 2010, multiple WRs, Syvelle Newton, Blake Mitchell and a great albeit underutilized RB in one Cory Boyd, wasn't it? The only year Spurrier had so little to with with offensively was 2015 and that was his own fault.
Probably the best OL coach we've ever had, Dave DeGuglielmo, built that 2005 line.

My bad, I intended to type horrendously overmatched. I will blame the autocorrect on my phone. 😀 (actually, it was that, it just tried to auto change it again)
Lol... I was wondering what game you were watching!

Talented players can compensate for bad coaching. Of course if he was so bad in Oklahoma then I don’t know why anyone would want him here. He probably won’t even on the two deep since Doty and Gauthier have received so much more time with Satterfield.

If Doty, Gauthier, Davis or Bailey take over for Rattler and maintain a top half of the SEC offense that might be something to talk about. Odds are Satterfield will get an extension coming out of next season so we’ll see what happens.
Well, if he stays he will have to.....he is only on a 2-year contract.

I'm not sure what to make of this. This is either an irrational argument on it's own or you're trying satire and don't understand the position of those who disagree with you. No matter what you need talent to win. Part of a QBs success is experience, we had a dearth of both in the QB room going into the season. Our best QB played injured all year and over the course of the game he said he was least bothered going into the force of just throwing hurt him enough he couldn't play injured any longer and needed surgery, in his stead we played a GA and transfer both from FCS and not very talented. Rattler is far more talented than any QB we have and should start regardless coaching before or here. He was beaten out by another 5 star QB, like Joe Burrow at OSU, in two years we'll have at least 3 blue chip recruits as opposed to 1 injured one so our situation this season has zero bearing on what we'll have moving forward.

If you think coaching overcomes talent then why the hell do the big teams always want blue chip QBs if they just need to coach them a few years and any Joe off the street should be good with a good QB coach?

Probably the best OL coach we've ever had, Dave DeGuglielmo, built that 2005 line.
It's hard to say with how the sport changes, I just know Spurrier inherited a good OL, they were better in 05 and then there was a strong downward trend 09 was a low point and 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 were good with 11 probably the best in that stretch. I wasn't as aware in 05 so I don't have a strong feel for how they fall in those years.

Reactions: rogue cock
It's hard to say with how the sport changes, I just know Spurrier inherited a good OL, they were better in 05 and then there was a strong downward trend 09 was a low point and 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 were good with 11 probably the best in that stretch. I wasn't as aware in 05 so I don't have a strong feel for how they fall in those years.
I remember a lot of people on the old board thought John Hunt was going to get Spurrier fired.

I remember a lot of people on the old board thought John Hunt was going to get Spurrier fired.
There we're definitely people calling for his head. Not just hunt but Spurrier too. That's why the talk in threads like this never surprises me.

Reactions: rogue cock
There we're definitely people calling for his head. Not just hunt but Spurrier too. That's why the talk in threads like this never surprises me.
I mean, after 08, it made sense. In 09 we had so much young talent on D and the win against Ole Miss, combined with the changes he made the year before that had already led to improvements should've been enough to stop all that.

Boyd was suspended in 2005 so guessing you’re not remembering correctly. Newton was injured mid season with Achilles. Had a bunch of guys kicked off the team as soon as he got the job due to stealing stuff. Lastly, no instant transfer portal to gather talent from.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Boyd was suspended in 2005 so guessing you’re not remembering correctly. Newton was injured mid season with Achilles. Had a bunch of guys kicked off the team as soon as he got the job due to stealing stuff. Lastly, no instant transfer portal to gather talent from.
None to lose talent to either, still had a great OL and Blake Mitchell, I was in middle school so the Boyd thing is on me but everything else works. We didn't even have Doty half the season and he was healthy for no snaps so no idea why you're mentioning a mid-season injury. Still in no way shape or form is that a comparable situation.

We did have Mike Davis and Daccus Turman as RBs.

None to lose talent to either, still had a great OL and Blake Mitchell, I was in middle school so the Boyd thing is on me but everything else works. We didn't even have Doty half the season and he was healthy for no snaps so no idea why you're mentioning a mid-season injury. Still in no way shape or form is that a comparable situation.

I was at USC then. Blake played well that year and off and on the following years, but he wasn’t some high end sure fit for spurrier. He was an option QB in HS.

I'm not sure what to make of this. This is either an irrational argument on it's own or you're trying satire and don't understand the position of those who disagree with you. No matter what you need talent to win. Part of a QBs success is experience, we had a dearth of both in the QB room going into the season. Our best QB played injured all year and over the course of the game he said he was least bothered going into the force of just throwing hurt him enough he couldn't play injured any longer and needed surgery, in his stead we played a GA and transfer both from FCS and not very talented. Rattler is far more talented than any QB we have and should start regardless coaching before or here. He was beaten out by another 5 star QB, like Joe Burrow at OSU, in two years we'll have at least 3 blue chip recruits as opposed to 1 injured one so our situation this season has zero bearing on what we'll have moving forward.

If you think coaching overcomes talent then why the hell do the big teams always want blue chip QBs if they just need to coach them a few years and any Joe off the street should be good with a good QB coach?
I have yet to see anyone argue against wanting talent at the QB position. Having a superstar at QB always makes things easier but not having a superstar QB doesn’t result in being 115 in total offense. There were teams ahead of us that had true freshmen, transfers and two stars playing that weren’t that low and I’m not sure how many of them had two RBs that are taking a shot at the NFL.

To find a way to perform worse in 2021 with the addition of the OOC scheduling was impressive.

I have yet to see anyone argue against wanting talent at the QB position. Having a superstar at QB always makes things easier but not having a superstar QB doesn’t result in being 115 in total offense. There were teams ahead of us that had true freshmen, transfers and two stars playing that weren’t that low and I’m not sure how many of them had two RBs that are taking a shot at the NFL.

To find a way to perform worse in 2021 with the addition of the OOC scheduling was impressive.
K? So did they play two FCS transfers behind a bad OL (they were bad in 2020 pass- blocking too) with one SEC level receiver while playing against as many t teams that recruit in the top 25 year in and year out? Because unless the answer to all of this questions is yes, than it's not an even comparison.

Reactions: shagginrooster
I was at USC then. Blake played well that year and off and on the following years, but he wasn’t some high end sure fit for spurrier. He was an option QB in HS.
So? It's not a QB room with two Freshmen and two FCS transfers playing behind a bad OL with one proven SEC level WR (0 SEC level WR going into the season). And that was his third season in campus, by comparison we've had no QBs on campus that long. Why don't you mention the receiver situation or OL? Which OL would you rather have, 05 or 21?

So? It's not a QB room with two Freshmen and two FCS transfers playing behind a bad OL with one proven SEC level WR (0 SEC level WR going into the season). And that was his third season in campus, by comparison we've had no QBs on campus that long. Why don't you mention the receiver situation or OL? Which OL would you rather have, 05 or 21?

This year’s OL regression to me is the coaching so that isn’t helping your argument. As for the WRs, obvious 05 had Rice a redshirt freshman. who turned out to be an elite NFL talent but after that we didn’t have another stud NFL talent. McKinley, RIP, was a HS QB converted and starting as a true freshman that went on to set records at USC but wasn’t elite NFL. What were the TEs then? Like we said, RBs didn’t match this year’s talent. Really you’re just adding to my point that a good OC makes the sum of the parts better than the individual unlike our OC’s since him.

Reactions: Lurker123
This year’s OL regression to me is the coaching so that isn’t helping your argument. As for the WRs, obvious 05 had Rice who turned out to be elite NFL talent but after that we didn’t have stud NFL talent. McKinley, RIP, was a HS QB converted and starting as a true freshman that went on to set records at USC. Really just adding to my point that a good OC makes the sum of the parts better than the individual unlike our OC’s since him.
The OL grew over the year and the regression was overstated. If they weren't terrible last year it would be more legit. There were those weird communication issues earlier this season but I was the guy who correctly guessed early in the season that it was the QB checking that was causing it abs thought the older and more experienced center should make the calls like under Spurrier. After the Bye it was Douglas and we stopped leaving free rushers so maybe don't presume to tell me what the issues were when I guessed them early. Now they have the system, they've improved on the zone blocking and resolved the communication issues so maybe you don't know the details as well as you think. Look at the 2020 mizzou game and count how long Doty has before under pressure if you think the OL was good last year. Every position group in offense returning in 05 was better than the same in 21 except RB.

Our 2006 OL consisted of two walkons.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
If Blake Mitchell could have learned to read a zone defense, man what a talent he could have been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT