ADVERTISEMENT

Difference between 2010 and 2019

Not sure I know what you're asking. At first I thought we must have beaten Bama in 2012 but that was 2010.

I was still a student, our head coach had previously won national championships at Florida as oppose to being run out of town. Our backup QB then was way better then our starting QB now and ended up ultimately being the best QB in school history, our freshman RB was the best freshman RB we’d ever seen, our shutdown corner in 2010 is now the best corner in the NFL...we had real safeties like DJ Swearinger and edge rush guys that could actually get to the QB like Melvin Ingram...we had a true number 1 receiver in Alshon Jeffery and we had the number 1 recruit in the country coming to Columbia the next year. Most of all we had expectations and hope.

Now we have Muschamp, script Carolina font that looks like Chick Fil-A, an incompetent AD, a d-line that doesn’t look like it belongs in the SEC, a coach that’s no longer fun, a team that doesn’t beat anyone they’re not supposed to and worst of all...fan apathy.

A lot has changed in nine years.

Last edited:
Marcus Lattimore,Alshon Jeffery,Stephon Gilmore, Ace Sanders, DeVonte Holloman ( Most underrated defensive player I can remember at Carolina) Thats just off the top of my head, oh yeah and Steve Spurrier.

DJ Swearinger, Devin Taylor, Melvin Ingram, Travian Robertson, Chris Culliver, Cliff Mathews, Eric Norwood. Ya'll had some dudes on defense in 2010, all of those guys went on to play on Sundays.

Whether you use 2008 or 2010, we had proven that we could beat some of the best teams in the country. When we took the field, it felt like we had confidence and were playing to win the game.

This current team looks scared in big games and even when they are hanging tough (UF last year, etc), the coaching staff finds a way to muck it up.

Really hope we see some signs of life on Saturday.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Whether you use 2008 or 2010, we had proven that we could beat some of the best teams in the country. When we took the field, it felt like we had confidence and were playing to win the game.

This current team looks scared in big games and even when they are hanging tough (UF last year, etc), the coaching staff finds a way to muck it up.

Really hope we see some signs of life on Saturday.
Not the last 3 games of 2008. We didn't look any different than this years team. Callers on the radio were harsh regarding Spurrier during that time.

Reactions: jimnasium
Not the last 3 games of 2008. We didn't look any different than this years team. Callers on the radio were harsh regarding Spurrier during that time.

True. But that was largely b/c Spurrier was at war with the QB position. The 2008 team were underachievers, but loaded and served as the foundation for good things to come. 2008 Roster

And that's last three games of a season versus 3+ years of total chaos in terms of the big games, player development and overall confidence.

In this era, we are simply living on a prayer - hoping for a complete trend reversal from Muschamp has accomplishment as a HC thus far. You wouldn't want to bet the house.

True. But that was largely b/c Spurrier was at war with the QB position. The 2008 team were underachievers, but loaded and served as the foundation for good things to come. 2008 Roster

And that's last three games of a season versus 3+ years of total chaos in terms of the big games, player development and overall confidence.

In this era, we are simply living on a prayer - hoping for a complete trend reversal from Muschamp has accomplishment as a HC thus far. You wouldn't want to bet the house.
I supported Spurrier, just like I will support Muschamp. After the way 2007 ended, then losing to Vandy early, 2008 was a rough year...we weren't dominating anyone...Wofford gave us one heckuva game. The best game we played was probably against LSU in a loss. Fans were upset, many calling in saying the game had past him by and that he had held onto a couple of coaches too long (the OL coach and DC). As far a fans were concerned there was a hot seat and he was on it, at least by those who called in after the games and during other shows.

Frankly, I don't see a lot of difference between then and now. I was defending Spurrier then and I will defend Muschamp now.

Easy.... Steve Spurrier and a defense loaded with NFL prospects . Also a pretty decent RB and WR and a QB that played one of the greatest games in SC history . That was a good Bama team . Mark Ingram , Julio Jones , Trent Richardson , Mark Barron , a lot of NFL 1st Rounders on that team . Biggest difference is our defense was savage back then now it’s just sorry . Bama will put up 50+ .

Spurrier could out-coach Saban. Do more with less. I’m not sure Muschamp can.

I believe we also had more NFL type talent on the defense side back then. In 2010 we had more difference makers in both sides of the ball to play teams like Alabama. In 2010 there seemed to be more attitude and swag. If we can get that last part back we hold our own at the least.

This will be a tuff game and I’m of course hoping for an upset. Haha

Last edited:
True. But 2 years prior, when most of those were sophomores...only one, Matthew, was a starter, one, Travian, was on the 2-deep, one, Ingram, was lost at LB, and Culliver was still a WR.

Things can change quickly. I’m hoping they do for us. Recruiting seems to be on track. Hilinski seems like the real deal and an upgrade. Got to win some games to hold on to some of those commits. In my mind, the Missouri and Kentucky games are huge for that.

I supported Spurrier, just like I will support Muschamp. After the way 2007 ended, then losing to Vandy early, 2008 was a rough year...we weren't dominating anyone...Wofford gave us one heckuva game. The best game we played was probably against LSU in a loss. Fans were upset, many calling in saying the game had past him by and that he had held onto a couple of coaches too long (the OL coach and DC). As far a fans were concerned there was a hot seat and he was on it, at least by those who called in after the games and during other shows.

Frankly, I don't see a lot of difference between then and now. I was defending Spurrier then and I will defend Muschamp now.

Biggest difference is Spurrier was a proven winner, a legend with a National Title under his belt. Muschamp got fired for failing at the same school Spurrier won big at. Not to mention Spurrier had some quality wins in his first few years. First win ever in Knoxville. Beat Florida. Best Georgia and Clemson. Those were things we hadn’t done in a long time so we still had hope with him. There was reason to be patient to see if he could turn things around. Muschamp hasn’t beat anyone. And hope is running out. The only similarities are both teams were struggling at some point early. That’s about it.

Last edited:
Hall of Fame Coach - Steve Spurrier. Greg McElroy, Bama is a much better program now. I just hope we stay healthy.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Biggest difference is Spurrier was a proven winner, a legend with a National Title under his belt. Muschamp got fired for failing at the same school Spurrier won big at. Not to mention Spurrier had some quality wins in his first few years. First win ever in Knoxville. Beat Florida. Best Georgia and Clemson. Those were things we hadn’t done in a long time. Muschamp hasn’t beat anyone. The only similarities are both teams were struggling at some point early. That’s about it.
Spurrier's National Title was great for UF, but did nothing for us. Dietzel had one also. Georgia, and especially Clemson, were completely different during Spurrier's early years....Spurrier had trouble beating Bowden.....Tommy Bowden...and lost to an interim WR coach. Nothing to brag about there. During 2007 and 2008, no one....and I mean NO ONE...could expect what happened 2 years later. There was little encouragement on this site at the time....very little....coaches names were being brought up as much as they are now...posters' complaining about us hiring retreads, etc..

Reactions: Jeremiah Bullfrog
Spurrier's National Title was great for UF, but did nothing for us. Dietzel had one also. Georgia, and especially Clemson, were completely different during Spurrier's early years....Spurrier had trouble beating Bowden.....Tommy Bowden...and lost to an interim WR coach. Nothing to brag about there. During 2007 and 2008, no one....and I mean NO ONE...could expect what happened 2 years later. There was little encouragement on this site at the time....very little....coaches names were being brought up as much as they are now...posters' complaining about us hiring retreads, etc..

If you really don’t see a difference in what Steve Spurrier had accomplished as a HC then and what Muschamp has now, then I can’t help you. Again, Spurrier was a proven winner. His title did nothing for us...but isn’t that why we were thrilled and shocked to hire the guy in the first place? He’s was one of the best CFB coaches of all-time, before his tenure at SC. He brought credibility to the program. That’s why we stuck with him when things weren’t great. Muschamp is a proven loser...one of the biggest disappointments I can recall in coaching history. Which is why we shouldn’t stick with him. That interim WR coach has beaten Muschamp by a minimum of 21 points in each of his 3 seasons. Tommy Bowden didn’t just beat Spurrier, he beat Holtz too. We were much more competitive against Clemson under Spurrier. We just had to learn to win ballgames...something we had never done in our history...well before Spurrier. Georgia & Clemson are better now. Florida and Tennessee were much better back then.

But you’ll likely be the only guy comparing the loser Muschamp to the winner Steve Spurrier. It’s a head scratcher for sure. If you can argue this point then you’ll likely argue any point.

Last edited:
If you really don’t see a difference in what Steve Spurrier had accomplished as a HC then and what Muschamp has now, then I can’t help you. Again, Spurrier was a proven winner. His title did nothing for us...but isn’t that why we were thrilled and shocked to hire the guy in the first place? He’s was one of the best CFB coaches of all-time, before his tenure at SC. He brought credibility to the program. That’s why we stuck with him when things weren’t great. Muschamp is a proven loser...one of the biggest disappointments I can recall in coaching history. Which is why we shouldn’t stick with him. That interim WR coach has beaten Muschamp by a minimum of 21 points in each of his 3 seasons. Tommy Bowden didn’t just beat Spurrier, he beat Holtz too. We were much more competitive against Clemson under Spurrier. We just had to learn to win ballgames...something we had never done in our history...well before Spurrier. Georgia & Clemson are better now. Florida and Tennessee were much better back then.
20,20 hindsight is an amazing thing......absolutely amazing. You obviously spent very little time on this site during those years.

Reactions: Jeremiah Bullfrog
I'm taking the 25 points and buying a cabin in the mountains this fall. You guys have no faith in our team. The coaching isn't the best but the heart of the team is there.

20,20 hindsight is an amazing thing......absolutely amazing. You obviously spent very little time on this site during those years.

No, looking at Spurrier’s coaching resume in 2008 and looking at Muschamp’s resume in 2019 and thinking the situation is similar is amazing. It’s one thing to be upset. I was pissed back then too, but still hopeful. I had a reason to trust him with the program because he had won before. He was already one of the greatest coaches of all time. We were fortunate to have him. Wasn’t long before Alabama and LSU pursued him. I have no hope with Muschamp. No reason to think he’ll ever win here. He hasn’t shown he’s capable of doing anything as a Head Coach.

It comes down to this...

2008 Spurrier = Proven Winner
2019 Muschamp = Proven Loser

No, looking at Spurrier’s coaching resume in 2008 and looking at Muschamp’s resume in 2019 and thinking the situation is similar is amazing. It’s one thing to be upset. I was pissed back then too, but still hopeful. I had a reason to trust him with the program because he had won before. I have no hope with Muschamp. No reason to think he’ll ever win here. He hasn’t shown he’s capable of doing anything as a Head Coach.
Well, you have Muschamp at least for another year. The fact that he did much better than expected his first two years here gives me hope and he seems to be building the team the right way. IMO, he may be a coach or two away from having a truly good staff. Regardless, I will be at WB Saturday to cheer the team and him on.

I feel different about Muschamp now because of Hilinski. Champ recruits well I just wish he would be more aggressive when we get the ball. Our defense and field possession can’t win games for us. I doubt we can stay with Bama. They have won a lot of titles since 2010.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT