ADVERTISEMENT

Do what Clemson did - go out & find the best avaible OC with a proven record of

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
a high-powered fun offfense. With what Clemson has, we have to do this to attract the kind of recruits we need to try and catch up to Clemson and Georgia, among others. Florida will have a high-powered offense under Mullen shortly. Mizzou was scoring 40-50 points a game the last half of the season. Who knows what Tennessee will have but they obviously will be better. I won`t even mention Kentucky. I love McClendon but give him a raise(give all of them raises) and let him stay with the receivers. If we ever needed to make a splash with hiring an Assistant Coach, the time is now. We will pass the hat at basketball and baseball games, set up a gofundme/OC account or something, but make somebody the highest paid OC in the country and sign them up. And we need Muschamp to tell them they will have total control of the offense. if that`s what they want. Very happy with our defense. The only thing we need to do is to hang on to all of our present assistants, especially T-Rob.

Some posters are cynical about this and IF forum but these forums reflect the attitudes of the fans. If AD doesn't take attitudes of fans seriously then it will be replaced.
Just hope that USC doesn't go the cheap easy route for OC. We need a splashy hire. 1.5M$ if necessary. USC needs/has to show it's serious about catching up to Clemson.

Some posters are cynical about this and IF forum but these forums reflect the attitudes of the fans. If AD doesn't take attitudes of fans seriously then it will be replaced.
Just hope that USC doesn't go the cheap easy route for OC. We need a splashy hire. 1.5M$ if necessary. USC needs/has to show it's serious about catching up to Clemson.

I, for one, hope that our AD never, ever visits message board forums. There's plenty of ways to gauge public sentiment, but this has got to be the worst. Even worse than talk radio. I mean, we have known Clemson trolls stirring up crap on this board, and people fall for it hook, line and sinker. The self-deprecating death spirals they send us into are embarrassing.

All the AD really needs to be concerned with are if the team shows progress, maintains adequate discipline, and represents the University well.

Reactions: Tigerof66
a high-powered fun offfense.
Revisionist history? At the time Clemson hired Morris, I seriously doubt many considered him the "best available OC", much less one with a proven record. He coached at Tulsa for one year and was one year removed from HS. Hindsight is great, but they got lucky as much as anything else.

Big name hire will jump start recruiting also

All luck aside, Clemson's investment has paid great dividends for them. They showed everyone that they were serious about football and were willing to spend whatever it took to get them on the right track. I for one would like to see my University display the same type commitment instead of always appearing to be "late to the party"! Several years ago Clemson was being hammered for having the two highest paid assistants in college football. Three CF playoffs later and a National Championship, they are laughing all the way to No.1. It sickens me, but if they can learn from the ways of Alabama, why can't we?

All luck aside, Clemson's investment has paid great dividends for them. They showed everyone that they were serious about football and were willing to spend whatever it took to get them on the right track. I for one would like to see my University display the same type commitment instead of always appearing to be "late to the party"! Several years ago Clemson was being hammered for having the two highest paid assistants in college football. Three CF playoffs later and a National Championship, they are laughing all the way to No.1. It sickens me, but if they can learn from the ways of Alabama, why can't we?
True. But they didn't start off that way. They gave raises to keep them, they didn't start off paying them that much....and I agree with that strategy. Pay to keep good, proven coordinators...and if you can hire a proven one, pay him what it takes. Clemson never really hired a "proven" coordinator....they proved themselves at Clemson and Clemson paid them handsomely to stay.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Revisionist history? At the time Clemson hired Morris, I seriously doubt many considered him the "best available OC", much less one with a proven record. He coached at Tulsa for one year and was one year removed from HS. Hindsight is great, but they got lucky as much as anything else.
They seem to get lucky a lot.

They seem to get lucky a lot.
Or ole Dabo has got a very specific skill. Though he has missed before. Napier was a huge miss...though probably just to inexperienced for the job. Steele wasn't....and was truly the only "proven" coordinator that he has hired...but that didn't work either.

He was a disciple who was tutored directly by Gus Malzahn (who just won the National Championship and also beat us pretty badly in the SEC Championship). This was a revolutionary offense at the time and the new hot thing with a dual-threat QB (Cam Newton). They could not hire Gus Malzahn away from Auburn, so they did the next best thing and hired his protege. I doubt Tulsa played much of a part in that decision.

He was a disciple who was tutored directly by Gus Malzahn (who just won the National Championship and also beat us pretty badly in the SEC Championship). This was a revolutionary offense at the time and the new hot thing with a dual-threat QB (Cam Newton). They could not hire Gus Malzahn away from Auburn, so they did the next best thing and hired his protege. I doubt Tulsa played much of a part in that decision.
How exactly was Morris a protege of Malzahn? Never coached with him. Perhaps he attended a Malzahn coaching camp while coaching in HS?

Reactions: rogue cock
a high-powered fun offfense. With what Clemson has, we have to do this to attract the kind of recruits we need to try and catch up to Clemson and Georgia, among others. Florida will have a high-powered offense under Mullen shortly. Mizzou was scoring 40-50 points a game the last half of the season. Who knows what Tennessee will have but they obviously will be better. I won`t even mention Kentucky. I love McClendon but give him a raise(give all of them raises) and let him stay with the receivers. If we ever needed to make a splash with hiring an Assistant Coach, the time is now. We will pass the hat at basketball and baseball games, set up a gofundme/OC account or something, but make somebody the highest paid OC in the country and sign them up. And we need Muschamp to tell them they will have total control of the offense. if that`s what they want. Very happy with our defense. The only thing we need to do is to hang on to all of our present assistants, especially T-Rob.
We ain't gonna do none of that.

I don't know about that. I would rather the coach hire someone who will fit in with the system, including recruiting requirements, and if he does well, pony up the money to keep him.

So basically what I said. Went to observe his offense.....not exactly a protege. Now, Malzahn does have a couple of protege's out there...Lashlee and Lindsey.

No, it is exactly what I said..he is a "Malzahn protege". Here are some quotes from Morris posted from the original article:
"Gus was really closed and didn't want to share much but saw the persistence we had with me reaching out to him saying I needed some help," Morris said. "He really opened up. He let us be a part of him and his staff. From that, we developed a close friendship. I am where I am today because Gus Malzahn lent a helping hand. He has become one of my dear friends in this business."

Here is another article referencing Morris being Malzahn's protege. Hope this helps clear it up for you:

Gus Malzahn protege Chad Morris reportedly in talks to become SMU head coach
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/gus_malzahn_protege_chad_morri.html

No, it is exactly what I said..he is a "Malzahn protege". Here are some quotes from Morris posted from the original article:
"Gus was really closed and didn't want to share much but saw the persistence we had with me reaching out to him saying I needed some help," Morris said. "He really opened up. He let us be a part of him and his staff. From that, we developed a close friendship. I am where I am today because Gus Malzahn lent a helping hand. He has become one of my dear friends in this business."

Here is another article referencing Morris being Malzahn's protege. Hope this helps clear it up for you:

Gus Malzahn protege Chad Morris reportedly in talks to become SMU head coach
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/gus_malzahn_protege_chad_morri.html
Then you should love it if Muschamp hires Lashlee or Lindsey. Two coaches who actually coached under Malzahn. BTW, Malzahn may have helped Morris in his coaching career and Morris may have taken some things from Malzahn...but there are differences in their respective offenses.

Then you should love it if Muschamp hires Lashlee or Lindsey. Two coaches who actually coached under Malzahn. BTW, Malzahn may have helped Morris in his coaching career and Morris may have taken some things from Malzahn...but there are differences in their respective offenses.
Yes, I agree there are some fundamental differences on pass/run preference between the two. I guess everybody has their own personality. Lashlee worries me a bit.

Sounds similar to Bobby Bentley!! (Just pulling your chain)

Yes, I agree there are some fundamental differences on pass/run preference between the two. I guess everybody has their own personality. Lashlee worries me a bit.
Why does Lashlee worry you? Has been with Malzahn since his Arky State days and has done a good job at UConn in his short time there. Lindsey also had some questionable years prior to joining Malzahn at AU. Unless I am missing something, I would think Lashlee is the more proven OC since he has been successful out from Malzahn's shadow and it's not like he was fired from Auburn.

One thing that is overlooked is coaches have reputations about what the really allow OC’s or even to a lesser extent DC’s to do. OC’s work their offenses inside the HC’s parameters. Most times those parameters are wide and not a limitation per se, but not always. There have been strong rumors that Roper was handcuffed and told to try and slow the game down. Good OC’s will not go to a school where the HC is going to excessively medel with what they want to do. I am not saying that is Mchamp, but i know the rumors are out there.

Canada at LSU is a good example of this very issue. Coach O does not want the eye candy style pre snake everywhere typ offense but that is what Canada knows and was really good at when he was at Pitt. Although sudden he is the idiot with better talent at LSU? Not likely.

Regardless, I don’t think Muschamp likes the high flying offense as much as others thinks he does. He wants to run a ball control offense that keeps the defense rested. I would be shocked if he really got an air raid style coordinator. I don’t think a good one that had other legitimate opportunities would want to be under him.

Why does Lashlee worry you? Has been with Malzahn since his Arky State days and has done a good job at UConn in his short time there. Lindsey also had some questionable years prior to joining Malzahn at AU. Unless I am missing something, I would think Lashlee is the more proven OC since he has been successful out from Malzahn's shadow and it's not like he was fired from Auburn.
It's odd that he took a lateral downward move to do the same job at UConn with a $250k pay cut. It appears to me it was a saving face move and Malzahn helped him save face like Muschamp was attempting to help Roper save face with Rice. Don't know enough about Lindsey to form an opinion.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/rhett_lashlee_leaving_auburn_f.html

It's odd that he took a lateral downward move to do the same job at UConn with a $250k pay cut. It appears to me it was a saving face move and Malzahn helped him save face like Muschamp was attempting to help Roper save face with Rice. Don't know enough about Lindsey to form an opinion.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/rhett_lashlee_leaving_auburn_f.html
It is odd, I agree. However, everyone seems to believe the AU offense is Malzahn and no one else. So, after several years as OC under Malzahn, perhaps he simply recognized that fact and chose to go to another school...even one as small as UConn...to prove himself. Kind of a step-down now to get a bigger step-up later.

Here is a pretty good article on the move from AU to UConn:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...bout-auburn-losing-oc-rhett-lashlee-to-uconn/

I’m a fan of Lashlee. Took UConn from 123rd to 52nd in total offense in one year and UConn fans love him.

It is odd, I agree. However, everyone seems to believe the AU offense is Malzahn and no one else. So, after several years as OC under Malzahn, perhaps he simply recognized that fact and chose to go to another school...even one as small as UConn...to prove himself. Kind of a step-down now to get a bigger step-up later.

Here is a pretty good article on the move from AU to UConn:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...bout-auburn-losing-oc-rhett-lashlee-to-uconn/

Maybe it was a get out of the shadows thing, but tough to tell. Kirby Smart did okay in the shadow.

He wasn’t calling the plays, he was the OC in name only, eventually you get tired of doing the grunt work and being a statue on the sideline.

Reactions: Cocky704
He wasn’t calling the plays, he was the OC in name only, eventually you get tired of doing the grunt work and being a statue on the sideline.
According to everything I've read, Malzahn turned over play calling duties to him the last half of 2016. But, agree that is probably one of the reasons he went out on his own.

According to everything I've read, Malzahn turned over play calling duties to him the last half of 2016. But, agree that is probably one of the reasons he went out on his own.

One man’s idea of turning over play calling might be different from another. I think it is really hard for these uber successful OC’s to let go of the play calling totally. They are so good at it, they think no one is better and truthfully that is probably right.

Spurrier was as good of playcaller on his last day has he was 10 years prior, he just wasn’t going to carry on a facade to make you think he wasn’t calling the plays like some of these other head coaches. He didn’t care what you thought. There are many who think the head coach shouldn’t be bothered by the OC duties and if he is, he is neglecting some other aspect of the HC’s job. For Spurrier, he didn’t care, and he wasn’t involved with recuriting, so it was easy for him to do.

One man’s idea of turning over play calling might be different from another. I think it is really hard for these uber successful OC’s to let go of the play calling totally. They are so good at it, they think no one is better and truthfully that is probably right.

Spurrier was as good of playcaller on his last day has he was 10 years prior, he just wasn’t going to carry on a facade to make you think he wasn’t calling the plays like some of these other head coaches. He didn’t care what you thought. There are many who think the head coach shouldn’t be bothered by the OC duties and if he is, he is neglecting some other aspect of the HC’s job. For Spurrier, he didn’t care, and he wasn’t involved with recuriting, so it was easy for him to do.
Hmmmm...so I guess we don't look for an OC who was successful under a HC that was a great OC...because you never know. BTW, Lashlee improved UConn's offense greatly under Edsall, a defensive coach.

Odd how Dabo gets" lucky" so often

Reactions: owensdj
They didn't get lucky go back and check history, started with Charley Pell, then Ford, then everything was mediocre, then comes Dabbo who ever heard of Dabbo, now playing for 3rd natty, something don't look right when all 3 Pell, Ford Dabbo all Ala. products, Two of the 3 cheated with the best and now they get recruits that never visited, maybe all good but looks fishy to me

I guess you are talking about Morris because Scott and Elliott are both first time OC's and i think they got lucky with that experiment.

I guess you are talking about Morris because Scott and Elliott are both first time OC's and i think they got lucky with that experiment.
Maybe they did get lucky with the new OCs or maybe they trained them when Morris was there or maybe the play calling isn't that good and the talent hides it. I don't know but if it's luck I want some and if they had Morris train them then when we get a good OC he needs to be training someone. I didn't say DC because Champ has that under control.

One thing that is overlooked is coaches have reputations about what the really allow OC’s or even to a lesser extent DC’s to do. OC’s work their offenses inside the HC’s parameters. Most times those parameters are wide and not a limitation per se, but not always. There have been strong rumors that Roper was handcuffed and told to try and slow the game down. Good OC’s will not go to a school where the HC is going to excessively medel with what they want to do. I am not saying that is Mchamp, but i know the rumors are out there.

Canada at LSU is a good example of this very issue. Coach O does not want the eye candy style pre snake everywhere typ offense but that is what Canada knows and was really good at when he was at Pitt. Although sudden he is the idiot with better talent at LSU? Not likely.

Regardless, I don’t think Muschamp likes the high flying offense as much as others thinks he does. He wants to run a ball control offense that keeps the defense rested. I would be shocked if he really got an air raid style coordinator. I don’t think a good one that had other legitimate opportunities would want to be under him.
You don’t want Canada

They didn't get lucky go back and check history, started with Charley Pell, then Ford, then everything was mediocre, then comes Dabbo who ever heard of Dabbo, now playing for 3rd natty, something don't look right when all 3 Pell, Ford Dabbo all Ala. products, Two of the 3 cheated with the best and now they get recruits that never visited, maybe all good but looks fishy to me
Which recruit never visited? Be specific, please.

Reactions: cneville
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT