ADVERTISEMENT

Does McIlwain Transfer or Go Pro?

Things aren't trending well for a young man who considers himself a marquee player, and it's evident his family sees him that way also. I'd be surprised if he completes his eligibility here.
I think he finishes here, but it may be JUST baseball.

If anyone is shocked by the stupidity of this thread, they haven't been paying attention.
It is truly amazing, this kid was the second coming in the spring and the fall and now we just want to write him off! Last time I checked you will need more than one QB, ours happen to be freshmen, they will both have some bumps in the road in this league and I can see us needing both of them in the future! Plus they both bring a different skill set, which gives a nice change of pace!

He's obviously not going to play meaningful snaps as the QB unless Bentley goes down, so:

Does he transfer to another school, or go pro in baseball?
Gotta wait 2 more years before he can go pro in baseball.......
If I were him, I'd be looking to transfer. Yes, the backup is always "1 play away" from playing, but Muschamp is going to go after bigger QBs, so even if Bentley gets hurt (and his knees concern me), there will be different types of QBs coming to Columbia in the future.

Reactions: tob T
If anyone is shocked by the stupidity of this thread, they haven't been paying attention.

What's stupid? The kid had his chance, struggled mightily, and lost his spot to a far superior QB. Unless Bentley gets injured, Bmac will never start at USC again.

Reactions: tob T
He needs to work on his ability to throw accurate passes on both a long a short range basis where ever he is. Hopefully, he can contribute here....

Reactions: 0007cock
Coach Muschamp has talked about Brandon still being in the mix and I believe he means that.

Same thing different day with some of the nonsense that is posted on message boards like this one at times. I think it is ridiculous that some people who have never stepped on a college football field can sit behind their keyboards in the momma's basement and level criticism at 18-21 year old young men we should be encouraging in every way possible. Pure idiocy that does harm to our program. Brandon's mom and dad have even said as much.

Please Mr. and Mrs. McElwain and Brandon...please know that the majority of Gamecock Nation is grateful that your son chose to come to the the University of South Carolina and we want to do everything we can to encourage his success both on and off athletic fields. Appears to be a quality young man and again...we are fortunate and grateful to have him as part of Gamecock Nation.

Coach Muschamp has talked about Brandon still being in the mix and I believe he means that.

Same thing different day with some of the nonsense that is posted on message boards like this one at times. I think it is ridiculous that some people who have never stepped on a college football field can sit behind their keyboards in the momma's basement and level criticism at 18-21 year old young men we should be encouraging in every way possible. Pure idiocy that does harm to our program. Brandon's mom and dad have even said as much.

Please Mr. and Mrs. McElwain and Brandon...please know that the majority of Gamecock Nation is grateful that your son chose to come to the the University of South Carolina and we want to do everything we can to encourage his success both on and off athletic fields. Appears to be a quality young man and again...we are fortunate and grateful to have him as part of Gamecock Nation.
Guys, lighten up already. Different players, especially pure freshmen, develop at different paces. Right now, Jake is further along than BMAC in many ways. He's quicker making the reads, quicker reading coverages, quicker seeing open receivers...and right now, that means we have a better chance winning right now with Jake than we do with BMAC. Does than mean BMAC can't develop? Of course not. By all accounts, BMAC is a good leader, a quality young man; he's smart, he's doing what the coaches are asking him to do, and there's no reason he can't be a pretty special player. I don't think he's quit, and there's no reason for us to want to quit on him and kick him to the curb. It's a rare freshman quarterback, even one who enrolls early and goes through spring, who doesn't struggle. A lot of really great ones have, over the years, before they became the more mature version we remember.

Is it possible that Jake is maybe even more special than anyone thought? Sure, and he may be; it's hard to argue with what he's done so far. It's also possible, though, that when the light comes on for him (and I believe it will), Brandon could be every bit as good, with a somewhat different skill set. There's no reason whatever not to hope for that; could make for a very interesting spring and fall next year. How about we look for reasons for things to look up, for a change, instead of waiting to declare someone a failure just because he hasn't become an instant star?

I must say some of the posts and barbs thrown at BMAC from some folks on this board are pathetic and you should be damn embarrassed to sit on your sofa and criticize a18 or 19 year old kid. Folks that are to lazy to get off the sofa to get their fifteenth Natty light of the afternoon are critical of the athletic abilities of a college and probable major league Athlete ?!?! This Kid has done NOTHING but work his butt off and do everything asked of him . He stayed committed to a team that was complete Garbage and helped to recruit other players as well . He's being crushed for comments his mom said ??? He hasn't said a word and from all accounts has been a model teammate and a leader in the locker room . He's not on the sideline sulking, When Bentley threw his first TD last week the first person to high five him from the sideline was Bmac . He was thrust into an impossible situation . Take Rico , Edwards and Deebo off the field last night and even with Bentley we lose that game big . The comments I have seen directed at Bmac are freaking embarrassing . I would totally expect this on a tater site but not here . It is totally sickening .

He played in a handful of games on the diamond last season. IIRC, that starts his clock, he can't go pro for 3 years now.(Shooting from the hip, someone may need to clarify my numbers).

BMAC is here because he wants to go to college and he loves it here. It amazes me that some think a competitive athlete will fold like a tent at first course of adversity. He will continue working and getting better on the gridiron. And he will be get a shot to be a big time player/contributor on the diamond this season. Excluding ma dukes comments, the future remains bright for young BMAC.

Let the kid feel his way through it.
I think he may be another Bruce Ellington. Bruce loved basketball best but he was more suited for football. Just a little too short even in college. But he's making a nice living in the NFL. BMacs starring role st Carolina may be in baseball. And There is no shame in being a Carolina baseball star. Ask Michael Roth.

Let's see... 18 year old kid. Still learning how to play in the SEC. Starts 2 games and looks like an 18 year old kid. Yeah, I'd go ahead and quit football 7 games into the season. There's no way I see any playing time over the next 3 years.

Do you think he started as a freshman in high school?
YES HE DID!!!!!

Moms are off limits my Gamecock brother...or at least they should be...Mom McIlwain is a USC graduate and Gamecock fan...Lets show her the utmost respect...

Agree, agree, agree. Thanks

This is a terrible post. How about does he work hard and learn as much as possible. Continue to improve everyday. And be one hell of a back up until he is given another chance that sure as I'm typing will happen. Blake looks really good. But Brandon had some flashes. He will be very good. We need 3 qbs ready to play.

I really don't understand y'all. Yall go from one extreme to the other in like 60 seconds.
I started this account just to state the false choices provided by this post is absurd. Like he only has 2 choices when in reality he has like 10.

Watch bmac have a mysterious foot injury and applies for a medical redshirt. Or redshirts next year if Bentley stays healthy. That puts him a year behind Bentley and a chance to start 1, maybe 2 years if Bentley left early, which I do not foresee.

BMAC fits into the equation in many ways regardless if Bentley is the starter. He could fit into many situational packages, he could be a great change-of-pace QB, he gives other teams another QB to practice for, he could very likely be a Pharaoh type of player where you could slip him into the slot from time to time. He and Bentley seem to have a good relationship. What mom and dad doesn't want their prized son to be the starter? Maybe this is more of a thing that mom needs to get over rather than BMAC. I think BMAC will settle in nicely. As a few have said, he is also a solid backup in the event that Bentley gets hurt. Look at the crap that Ohio State ran into with three stud QB's to choose from. Any of the two other QB's could have left for another school, but they made it work and it turned out well for all three. There is no guarantee that if he went to another school, all would be blissful. I don't think he goes anywhere.

Reactions: NOLAwdt
HE STAYS FOR 3 YRS.VALUABLE BACKUP AND SPOT WILDCAT QB(I LIKE RICO BETTER FOR THAT) WHILE GETTING
MORE AND MORE IMPORTANT TIME ON THE DIAMOND. ENDS UP WITH HUGE YEAR IN BASEBALL
LEADS US TO NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP STILL GETS HIS BIG CONTRACT AND MOMS SEMI HAPPY.........BOOM!!!

D1 football is a very tough fulltime job..getting up a 6am with no real ROI is not an option for a kid this talented. Although I think he's a fantasic kid with tremendous class..it really makes sense for him to transfer. Many schools would give him a better opportunity of playing time than he currently has today. Sh%t happens..tough break...gotta move on..!!

I don't understand why some people still say they don't understand why he would stay here. And that he has no real shot to play. Have you ever watched football? He has a good shot at playing if he continues to grow as a player. Also he committed to us for more reasons than playing time. Why would he want to leave. He's a normal freshman at a tough position.
It only takes one play and he's playing. We need depth at the position.
He will be good in time.

Why are people so mad at this post? The facts are that Bentley is much better than BMac, we can see this objectively on the field. I think BMac can become a quality QB in time, but I doubt he will want to sit behind Bentley for the next 3-4 years.

So, I think it is a valuable discussion to have. Some of you get your panties in a wad at the suggestion that people objectively critique or posit scenarios.

No better than teenage liberals in that regard.

Reactions: make plays
Not only is this a good post but a very realistic and objective one..players especially 4* QBs dont enroll to sit on the bench.

Of course he must transfer, he is a true freshman and did not start all the games, don't all true freshman QB's or freshman players who are not starting transfer?

Also players never ever get hurt in college football, he must transfer, he will never ever play!!

You forgot a third option in your title

Does McIlwain Transfer or Go Pro or Stay and Develop?

Reactions: anon_n4c0cp5zhdxn7
They prop up and glorify pedophiles. I used to revere Paterno. Now I realize he was pure evil.
He was at best complicit. He didn't molest any children, but he could have stopped it. All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

On the other hand everyone involved in that scandal is gone.

Last edited:
Most of these "expert" posters who are ready to throw him away are Taters! They need to go back to Taternet.

Reactions: NOLAwdt
Not only is this a good post but a very realistic and objective one..players especially 4* QBs dont enroll to sit on the bench.

Exactly. I just can't see a high caliber player like Bmac be satisfied with being relegated to "developing" on the off-chance he'll get meaningful starts. I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers after next season if he hasn't played.

Bet he stays. Cannot go pro in baseball for 2 more years. If that is where the bread and butter lies, he needs to stay. That being said, I would love to have 2 good Qb's, and he will get better and better. I remember when Todd Ellis went down his senior year and Dicki Demasi was backup. We barely scored over 10 points rest of year. We need a solid backup because things change in one play, and then he is the starter, not a backup. I hope he stays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT