ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t Jump Off The Bridge Yet...

I am disappointed but I have never seen our fan base turn on our team so early. And so strongly. You guys really want to throw in the towel after 1 game?

It’s not like UNC is bad. They have good players. Most of their team was hurt last year and Howell was a 4 star recruit. The backs are good. Their lines were decent. Suratt led them in tackles. He was a QB last year. UNC always has talent. They outplayed us and won a close game. The season is not over. Our goals are still in front of us. We can win the state, the East and the SEC.

It’s one loss. One loss teams can win Championships. Let’s regroup and focus on next week. We have the right guy and enough talent to be great. We need our team and our fans to rally.

You know we lost to Virginia, don't you? Shut out. This was the "give him another chance game".

So you think that that wreck of a display we saw today and over the past year is suddenly going to turn it all around and win a bunch of games by playing like a completely different team?

I am not going to jump off any bridge but you look like you bought one
Right and how many more games will we actually win this year?

Wrong. UNC is ranked 28th in team talent. We are ranked 21st. 7 spots is not that big. We lost to a team that was not inferior to us. They made plays. We didn’t. You guys are a bunch of quitters.

Wrong. UNC is ranked 28th in team talent. We are ranked 21st. 7 spots is not that big. We lost to a team that was not inferior to us. They made plays. We didn’t. You guys are a bunch of quitters.

What does that make our team then? I’m not just talking about the players, I’m including the coaches. “Quitters” is being kind, I could say much worse. When we punted on 4th and 2, that was quitting.

I love how you are so objective in your evaluation. I'm sure it must feel nice calling everyone who disagrees with you a quitter.

Here in a world grounded in facts and evidence, this team is bad. Please let me know what improvement you've seen between the curb stomping we received from Virginia to getting beaten by UNC.

I guess blind loyalty must make you feel positive. Will Muschamp has been a coach at two SEC schools and his tenure at Florida and SC are looking eerily similar.

That is what we need.

We need this week to get canceled and go 1-10 or 0-11. When they can’t fire coach boob Bc of the buy out—- ticket sales will fall off a cliff. The board will have to clean house.

Reactions: Jpcooper

What's the Class breakdown though from Freshmen to Seniors? Are we an older or younger team? Similar recruiting rankings are one thing, but how seasoned is that talent? It seems that at several key positions, we are older than them.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Good points. Bentley played bad. I did not expect UNC’s DL to pressure him. Feaster needed more touches. He’s our best player. Edwards can’t get separation. Shi Smith is our best playmaker. We need to get him the ball in space. We have pieces. I was surprised UNC wore down our Defense and got that much of a push.

If we can get “Clemson Jake”, instead of “UNC Jake”, I still think we can have a good year. I’m just not giving up yet.

NC’s O line got push because they come off the ball low and hard. It’s basic OLine 101. We never seem to grasp that.

I just can’t believe 90% of the people on this board want to turn on our team after 1 loss and the entire season in front of us. It’s because we lost to UNC instead of a “name” like Florida. UNC would probably beat Florida.

The superiority complex of our fanbase is appalling. You have to earn it. Steve Spurrier may have been the worst thing that could have happened to this program. For some reason our fans feel like we are entitled to wins from “lesser” opponents.

It’s one game. The sun came up today. Man up and support our team and our coach. Muschamp isn’t going anywhere and he didn’t miss throws or fail to get any push late.

su·pe·ri·or·i·ty com·plex
noun
  1. an attitude of superiority which conceals actual feelings of inferiority and failure.

I am a fifty year fan, and probably the most optimistic and proud Gamecock fan in the world, but after watching the Florida and Belk Bowl meltdown last year and the crap show Saturday, I have zero confidence in Muschamp and his coaches. Our fan's and donors deserve so much better. If it wasn't for the players, I would hope zero fan's show up for the CSU game. That would finally send a message to Tanner and the board that we have had enough. It's what they deserve!

I am a fifty year fan, and probably the most optimistic and proud Gamecock fan in the world, but after watching the Florida and Belk Bowl meltdown last year and the crap show Saturday, I have zero confidence in Muschamp and his coaches. Our fan's and donors deserve so much better. If it wasn't for the players, I would hope zero fan's show up for the CSU game. That would finally send a message to Tanner and the board that we have had enough. It's what they deserve!

I thought I was the only optimist. C’mon brother. Help me change the attitude of this board. This loss is not the end of the world. We can rally. If we blow by season’s end, I’ll jump on the bandwagon. Until then, a midseason coaching change would just kill our program. Recruits are hearing all this discontent. It will hurt our recruiting.

Man I actually admire where your coming from . Its inspiring . Problem is it’s counter productive. When people stop bitching they stop caring . When they stop caring they quit buying tickets and merchandise . When the stadium is half empty and no one cares the recruiting is non existent. 20 years ago we would support a very bad team because ... well we’re stupid and we only know mediocrity. Lou helped change that perception and Spurrier almost put it to bed . The next generation isn’t gonna do it . Hell i’m not gonna do it . Winning is the only thing and it ain’t gonna happen here currently . When Spurrier and Lou were losing to UF , UGA, Bama etc etc I could stomach it because we were totally outmatched but we battled every game and I felt like we had a chance in every game . Losing to UNC , UVA and Kentucky is not OK ANYTIME . No one can tell me UVA or UNC had the talent advantage. We need to demand change or it will never happen . It’s not about being negative or giving up , its about demanding to be better because we all deserve it .

I think this pretty much sums up how I and most of our fan's feel right now. Well said!

I love how you are so objective in your evaluation. I'm sure it must feel nice calling everyone who disagrees with you a quitter.

Here in a world grounded in facts and evidence, this team is bad. Please let me know what improvement you've seen between the curb stomping we received from Virginia to getting beaten by UNC.

I guess blind loyalty must make you feel positive. Will Muschamp has been a coach at two SEC schools and his tenure at Florida and SC are looking eerily similar.

Read through this thread. I’ve made my case that UNC is not a cupcake. 28th in talent. UVA is obviously a pretty good team. They had NFL corners and our best player took the day off.

We keep buying into our own BS. Other conferences have good teams too. I’ve been making this case forever. We didn’t lose to a bad team.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Read through this thread. I’ve made my case that UNC is not a cupcake. 28th in talent. UVA is obviously a pretty good team. They had NFL corners and our best player took the day off.

We keep buying into our own BS. Other conferences have good teams too. I’ve been making this case forever. We didn’t lose to a bad team.
You have totally missed the point of pretty much every poster who has not aligned with you delusion. UNC isn't the point, it is another piece of evidence that this coaching staff and these players are not making progress. We were beaten 28 to 0 by Virginia in the bowl game and lost Saturday. Do your eyes not tell you that whatever the coaches are doing isn't working? I don't care what UNC's relative talent level is. I saw no pride or fight from this team. If you look at my posts in this thread I said I could tolerate a loss to UNC if we at least looked like a well coached team and got beat straight up. We looked like a s@#tshow and like nothing changed from the last bowl game to this game. Tell me what Muschamp earns his salary for, coaching isn't it.

Last edited:
You have totally missed the point of pretty much every poster who has not aligned with you delusion. UNC isn't the point, it is another piece of evidence that this coaching staff and these players are not making progress. We were beaten 28 to 0 by Virginia in the bowl game and lost Saturday. Do your eyes not tell you that whatever the coaches are doing isn't working. I don't care what UNC's relative talent level is. I saw no pride or fight from this team. If you look at my posts in this thread I said I could tolerate a loss to UNC if we at least looked like a well coached team and got beat straight up. We looked like a s@#tshow and like nothing changed from the last bowl game to this game. Tell me what Muschamp earns his salary for, coaching isn't it.

So what is our choice? We aren’t going to pay an $18M buyout. Muschamp isn’t going anywhere. We might as well support the team and take a positive attitude. If things don’t work out, fine. I’ll be onboard with a change. I just think it’s crazy to give up over one opening game loss. He says this is his best team. He deserves the season to prove it. I don’t expect us to actually compete for anything important, but 8-4 is still attainable.

I don’t think the people that want him gone have thought this through. Who are you going to replace him with in the middle of the season? Interim coach? Lou Holtz? Seriously, nobody is taking this job midseason. We are better off letting things play out and hoping for the best.

I just can’t believe 90% of the people on this board want to turn on our team after 1 loss and the entire season in front of us. It’s because we lost to UNC instead of a “name” like Florida. UNC would probably beat Florida.

The superiority complex of our fanbase is appalling. You have to earn it. Steve Spurrier may have been the worst thing that could have happened to this program. For some reason our fans feel like we are entitled to wins from “lesser” opponents.

It’s one game. The sun came up today. Man up and support our team and our coach. Muschamp isn’t going anywhere and he didn’t miss throws or fail to get any push late.

noun
  1. an attitude of superiority which conceals actual feelings of inferiority and failure.

Did I just read that Spurrier May have been the worst thing to happen to us because he brought a “Winning Mentality” . That’s kinda what your saying . Yes absolutely, with Spurrier losing to “lesser” teams was not an option, He made us believe that not only are we expected to beat every lesser team but we are expected to beat EVERY team on our schedule . The reason we are one of the most underachieving programs in NCAA history is because we never had that attitude until Lou and Spurrier . Bro I respect your passion but essentially what you are saying is “Things were much better when we didn’t expect to always win “. This ain’t pee wee or pop Warner . Nobody cares that you “Tried Really Hard” or “You did your Best”. It’s about Winning and Money , Money and Winning . You either decide to run with the big dogs or you stay on the porch and right now we probably shouldn’t even be on the porch . Muschamp has been a head football Coach in the SEC for almost 8 years now . 8 years and 57 offensive Coordinators and advisors . He doesn’t get it and he never will . Find someone who does because we deserve it .

So what is our choice? We aren’t going to pay an $18M buyout. Muschamp isn’t going anywhere. We might as well support the team and take a positive attitude. If things don’t work out, fine. I’ll be onboard with a change. I just think it’s crazy to give up over one opening game loss. He says this is his best team. He deserves the season to prove it. I don’t expect us to actually compete for anything important, but 8-4 is still attainable.

I don’t think the people that want him gone have thought this through. Who are you going to replace him with in the middle of the season? Interim coach? Lou Holtz? Seriously, nobody is taking this job midseason. We are better off letting things play out and hoping for the best.

Not paying the Buyout will just be confirmation to me that our athletic dept and BOT just doesn’t care about winning and would rather just line their pockets like always . Clemson or Bama would pay that payout in 2 seconds . I totally agree with you that it won’t happen here because they simply don’t care as long as the gravy train keeps running . Derail that Gravy Train by staying at home the rest of the season and see what happens

I do hope you are really angry that the athletics department gave a coach who was not a proven commodity an 18 million dollar buyout. Can we at least agree on that?

Not paying the Buyout will just be confirmation to me that our athletic dept and BOT just doesn’t care about winning and would rather just line their pockets like always . Clemson or Bama would pay that payout in 2 seconds . I totally agree with you that it won’t happen here because they simply don’t care as long as the gravy train keeps running . Derail that Gravy Train by staying at home the rest of the season and see what happens
Auburn would have raised the money to buy him out by the fourth quarter. In fact they would have had Champ's replacement on a plane on his way to Charlotte before the end of the post game wrap up.

Can we all agree that the 18 million buyout would be much more affordable if our brilliant AD hadn’t recently decided to upgrade the club seating at W-B? I’m all for stadium upgrades, but you could start by making the gameday experience more enjoyable for the majority of us (I.e. no more doo doo ice/upgraded concessions, no more piss troughs, wider concourses, stadium seating, etc.)

noun
Make no mistake about it, beating UNC would have been a measure of mediocrity, not superiority.

Did I just read that Spurrier May have been the worst thing to happen to us because he brought a “Winning Mentality” . That’s kinda what your saying . Yes absolutely, with Spurrier losing to “lesser” teams was not an option, He made us believe that not only are we expected to beat every lesser team but we are expected to beat EVERY team on our schedule . The reason we are one of the most underachieving programs in NCAA history is because we never had that attitude until Lou and Spurrier . Bro I respect your passion but essentially what you are saying is “Things were much better when we didn’t expect to always win “. This ain’t pee wee or pop Warner . Nobody cares that you “Tried Really Hard” or “You did your Best”. It’s about Winning and Money , Money and Winning . You either decide to run with the big dogs or you stay on the porch and right now we probably shouldn’t even be on the porch . Muschamp has been a head football Coach in the SEC for almost 8 years now . 8 years and 57 offensive Coordinators and advisors . He doesn’t get it and he never will . Find someone who does because we deserve it .

You said winning mentality. I was referring to the superiority complex. 4 great seasons and our fans think we should be playing for Championships this year and whipping every team we play. That would be nice... but it’s not realistic. We are a top 20 team in terms of talent, with a tough schedule every year. Our expectations are so high, you can’t help but get crushed when we lose to UNC. 8-4 is still on the table, even if we don’t upset the big boys.

Damn right they would .

a) Auburn was 8-5 last year
b) They are overrated every year based on name
c) They lost to Texas A&M last year. Avg. team.
d) Lost to UCF. Really?????
e) consistently lose to their rival
f) Haven’t fired the coach yet

Can we all agree that the 18 million buyout would be much more affordable if our brilliant AD hadn’t recently decided to upgrade the club seating at W-B? I’m all for stadium upgrades, but you could start by making the gameday experience more enjoyable for the majority of us (I.e. no more doo doo ice/upgraded concessions, no more piss troughs, wider concourses, stadium seating, etc.)

The piss troughs are the most unsanitary thing since port-o-johns. I remember numerous times you could feel the pee splashing on you from the guy next to you. I amnot sure I have seen that layout at the poorest high school fields across the land. Screw the club level seating.

Reactions: Jpcooper

noun
The fanbase is not turning on the program over one loss. I can't speak for everyone, but I think they are frustrated that we failed to build on a 9-4 season from two years ago. I think they are frustrated from having a propped up, Coach's son of a QB that has failed to get better after 4 years. I think they are frustrated from having a risk averse, scared to take chances head Coach that hamstrings every Offensive Coirdinator he has ever had. I think the final reason for the frustration is the realization that you are probably never going to challenge in the division let alone the Conference with this group of coaches. In essence, we are marking time until our leadership finally admits what many of us see. So, you are misreading that we are frustrated about losing to UNC because we think we are superior. In fact, some of the savvy fans were afraid that this was going to happen with Mack Brown coming back.

I’m sure you guys are dancing now that Bentley is out. The backup QB is always the most popular player until kickoff. I hope Hillinski is the answer but I don’t like our chances to win 8 with a freshman QB. We will know in two weeks.

I am disappointed but I have never seen our fan base turn on our team so early. And so strongly. You guys really want to throw in the towel after 1 game?

It’s not like UNC is bad. They have good players. Most of their team was hurt last year and Howell was a 4 star recruit. The backs are good. Their lines were decent. Suratt led them in tackles. He was a QB last year. UNC always has talent. They outplayed us and won a close game. The season is not over. Our goals are still in front of us. We can win the state, the East and the SEC.

It’s one loss. One loss teams can win Championships. Let’s regroup and focus on next week. We have the right guy and enough talent to be great. We need our team and our fans to rally.

Raging Cock, I, too am perplexed that so many 'COCks seem to be throwing in the towel after ONE game.
AND i TOTALLY AGREE. NC SPORTS THE #2 QB from all high schools---and on and on.
I think that as the season unfolds, if NC is HEALTHIER this year than their last year,
WE should see we lost to a doggone decent football team and coach !
We didn't just lose to a chump,
and maybe we can make a soul-searching run of
things !

Reactions: Raging Cock
UNC may be a good team, but the Gamecoks demonstrated many of the flaws that have plagued Muschamp's teams: poor tackling and an inability to move the football.

When your schedule is peppered with great teams (Alabama, Clemson, Geogia), you must find a way to beat good teams.

I want my university and our team to succeed. I hope everyone else (administrators, alumni, boosters, coaches, fans, players, students, trustees) want the same.
Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
I’m sure you guys are dancing now that Bentley is out. The backup QB is always the most popular player until kickoff. I hope Hillinski is the answer but I don’t like our chances to win 8 with a freshman QB. We will know in two weeks.
Not dancing, but I have come to the realization that I don't have any big expectations with Bentley as our leader. Another Ho-hum 6-6 season at best. A disaster at worst. Staring reality in the face is not giving up. Mentally turning the page is better than not caring anymore.

You know ... It's been over 20 years since I've heard talk like this. In fact, the last time was after a similar type loss during the Brad Scott era while listing to the post game call-in show. I believe it was the Kentucky game when Mo William ran all over Wally Burnham's screen door defense to the tune of 300 yards or something. Some goobers (clemPson fans) called to say "Hey, it ain't all that bad. We can still go to the Sugar Bowl."

That was the last time I wasted any of my time listening to a call in show.

We need to figure out a way to let the school to know that 7 or less wins a season isn’t an option. We demand a winner. The school has top15 in country budget. We shouldn’t be losing to many schools in any sport. We have the funding and resources.

Ray gives us a great high school teams. This isn’t SEC level football, at least by historical standards.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
a) Auburn was 8-5 last year
b) They are overrated every year based on name
c) They lost to Texas A&M last year. Avg. team.
d) Lost to UCF. Really?????
e) consistently lose to their rival
f) Haven’t fired the coach yet
And they won a National Championship in 2010. Comparitively, Auburn is far more successful than us in football. They also just beat a ranked Oregon team with a freshman quarterback. We just lost to an unranked UNC with a freshman quarterback. I'd trade places with Auburn.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
You know ... It's been over 20 years since I've heard talk like this. In fact, the last time was after a similar type loss during the Brad Scott era while listing to the post game call-in show. I believe it was the Kentucky game when Mo William ran all over Wally Burnham's screen door defense to the tune of 300 yards or something. Some goobers (clemPson fans) called to say "Hey, it ain't all that bad. We can still go to the Sugar Bowl."

That was the last time I wasted any of my time listening to a call in show.

I’ll bump this thread after UNC wins 8 games this year and you guys are longing for an experienced senior QB.

I’ll bump this thread after UNC wins 8 games this year and you guys are longing for an experienced senior QB.
You have to be a Tar Heel the way you are hyping them so much. The only thing that matters is that we lost a crucial non-conference game in a year where we have a difficult draw in-Conference. Bentley's experience hasn't amounted to much either. It's not like we have had this explosive offense over the past three years. Let Muschamp, Bentley and others prove something for a change. I know I am out as far as following them blindly goes. I'll pay attention, but I am done putting a lot of emotional energy into a whole bunch of nothing.

You don’t know until the season plays out. If UNC sucks, I’ll repost this thread and own it. They were 2-9 last year. They had more injuries than we did. I thought we would handle them but I knew they would play with us. They are not the same team this year.

I respectfully disagree. We have recruited much better than UNC. We have better athletes than UNC. But, Muschamp and his staff were not only out coached during the game, they were out coached getting their players prepared to play the game.

The fanbase is not turning on the program over one loss. I can't speak for everyone, but I think they are frustrated that we failed to build on a 9-4 season from two years ago. I think they are frustrated from having a propped up, Coach's son of a QB that has failed to get better after 4 years. I think they are frustrated from having a risk averse, scared to take chances head Coach that hamstrings every Offensive Coirdinator he has ever had. I think the final reason for the frustration is the realization that you are probably never going to challenge in the division let alone the Conference with this group of coaches. In essence, we are marking time until our leadership finally admits what many of us see. So, you are misreading that we are frustrated about losing to UNC because we think we are superior. In fact, some of the savvy fans were afraid that this was going to happen with Mack Brown coming back.

What’s the most frustrating is all of us that were absolutely stunned we hired this guy are basically seeing an exact replay of what got him fired at Florida . No offensive identity, no playmakers , poor QB play , can’t win big games , goes conservative when the game gets close . The only difference is he had a stellar defense at Florida loaded with 5 stars and here he has one of the worst statistical defenses in the SEC and recruiting classes in the bottom half of the conference . We got all the same crap as Florida but none of the positives . That’s what is frustrating. We knew what we were getting with this guy and Tanner hired him anyway . This guy has been an SEC coach 8 years !!! 8 YEARS and he still can’t get it done . Cut bait and move on .

Reactions: EDH1313
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT