ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite play all time in Rivalry history...

You lived a charmed life in college. I got the push off game and 21 losses in a row. Of course we won in 2001, when I graduated.

Went back for grad school and saw 63-17.

Ouch... I had a great career, certainly. But will always say the class a year ahead of me (class of 2014) had it the best. Went 42-11, won the east, 4-0 against clemson, and also had a baseball championship

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
So in regards to #2, was Alston committing offensive PI?

Alshon used his hands for sure, but didn’t usually fully extend. I recall that he did get called for it once vs Ark in WB. They replayed it several times, and had a full discussion on what was offensive PI and what wasn’t. The defining action was full extension of the arm(s). It is undeniable that Gardner was fully extended... and as I said before there was also the clothesline 2 plays earlier. The official must have been daydreaming or something. I have no idea where his mind was. Watch it on You Tube if you don’t believe me. After Goodman gets taken down, you see him get up, and ask the official why he didn’t throw the flag.[/QUOTE]

Watch starting at 2:21:35 ....

This is 2 plays before Gardner’s push off/the catch 2. Goodman was set to intercept the pass, and it is blatant that Gardner interfered by hooking Goodman around the neck, and yanking him down right in front of the official. Everyone talks about the actual “push off” play, but this “no call” probably cost us the game. Without the interference from Gardner, Goodman probably intercepts, and the game is over. Had the flag been thrown, Clemson gets backed up 10-15 yards (can’t recall what the penalty was for Offensive PI back then). Dantzler likely wouldn’t have been able to throw the ball far enough down field with any remaining plays to get them in comfortable FG range. The catch of course is allowed, Clemson kicks the FG, and comes out ahead. If you listen to announcers thru the end, even they say we got hosed!

What infuriates me to this day is that Gardner interfered on 2 plays right in front of the official, and refused to call it either time!

Alshon used his hands for sure, but didn’t usually fully extend. I recall that he did get called for it once vs Ark in WB. They replayed it several times, and had a full discussion on what was offensive PI and what wasn’t. The defining action was full extension of the arm(s). It is undeniable that Gardner was fully extended... and as I said before there was also the clothesline 2 plays earlier. The official must have been daydreaming or something. I have no idea where his mind was. Watch it on You Tube if you don’t believe me. After Goodman gets taken down, you see him get up, and ask the official why he didn’t throw the flag.

This is 2 plays before Gardner’s push off/the catch 2. Goodman was set to intercept the pass, and it is blatant that Gardner interfered by hooking Goodman around the neck, and yanking him down right in front of the official. Everyone talks about the actual “push off” play, but this “no call” probably cost us the game. Without the interference from Gardner, Goodman probably intercepts, and the game is over. Had the flag been thrown, Clemson gets backed up 10-15 yards (can’t recall what the penalty was for Offensive PI back then). Dantzler likely wouldn’t have been able to throw the ball far enough down field with any remaining plays to get them in comfortable FG range. The catch of course is allowed, Clemson kicks the FG, and comes out ahead. If you listen to announcers thru the end, even they say we got hosed!

What infuriates me to this day is that Gardner interfered on 2 plays right in front of the official, and refused to call it either time![/QUOTE]

Sorry, the link to this video doesn’t show a close up replay. There used to be others in YT that did. You can’t really see it well on this shot especially in real time.

What infuriates me to this day is that Gardner interfered on 2 plays right in front of the official, and refused to call it either time!
[/QUOTE]
In the 1st half the same ref, Washington, called back a Brian Scott TD for OPI and then at the end of the half he waved off OPI on Gardner called by another ref. He said the ball was tipped at the line but nobody was within a yard of tipping the ball. Clemson kicked a FG on the last play of the 1st half too. So Washington single handedly was responsible for a 13 point swing in that game.

This is a great point. I often wondered why Gilmore didn’t get more snaps at QB. He was good enough and athletic enough to help us at QB when Garcia was erratic for whatever reason.

Two years in a row we missed out on the SEC Championship because of a loss to a team we should have beat. Auburn one year, Tennessee the next.

My recollection is a little foggy but I know Shaw got hurt in the UT game and believe the Auburn game was the week after Garcia got kicked off the team permanently. We played flat and lost both games by less than a TD.

I always felt like putting Gilmore in those games would have led us to victory. His electric play style was the spark we needed.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT