ADVERTISEMENT

Florida game

LSU is good vut they werent truly the 5th beat team in the USA....polls shouldnt even be done till mid season at best
I agree about the poll situation but we have been destroyed at home by Georgia and whipped soundly on the road against Kentucky. Florida just beat LSU at home and looked good doing it. We looked bad on defense against Missouri but still won. I was as happy as anyone about the victory but I also see a defense that looked woeful against the run. If people are willing to overlook that, then we will never be an elite program.

Reactions: king ward
I agree about the poll situation but we have been destroyed at home by Georgia and whipped soundly on the road against Kentucky. Florida just beat LSU at home and looked good doing it. We looked bad on defense against Missouri but still won. I was as happy as anyone about the victory but I also see a defense that looked woeful against the run. If people are willing to overlook that, then we will never be an elite program.
Our more dreamy-eyed fans tend to overlook problems as long as we get a win, as if that somehow cancels the problems, or their potential for undoing us in future games.

I'm elated with yesterdays's win - (A) because we needed it desperately, and (B) because it appeared we could be blown away. But when you yield 280 yards rushing and win anyway, you have overcome overwhelming,almost prohibitive odds. We can't keep doing that.

There is no doubt Mullen is an upgrade in talent at coaching at Florida. Still doesn’t change the fact Mullen has much more talent on his team than Muschamp started with at USC.
You keep comparing first year to first year. I am comparing the team we have now in its third year under Boom to a Florida team that was 4-7, finished 5th in the SEC East last year, and has a new coach in his first year. Now with a new coach in his first year, he has his team playing better than our coach who is now in his third year. That comes with coaching. And if that 4-7 had better talent a year ago compared to us, then a new coach with a successful resume again proves my point. It is about coaching.

Our more dreamy-eyed fans tend to overlook problems as long as we get a win, as if that somehow cancels the problems, or their potential for undoing us in future games.

I'm elated with yesterdays's win - (A) because we needed it desperately, and (B) because it appeared we could be blown away. But when you yield 280 yards rushing and win anyway, you have overcome overwhelming,almost prohibitive odds. We can't keep doing that.
So what do you suggest? Change coaches every 3-4 years, keep starting over and never build anything. Most people didn’t want Muschamp but now that he is the coach why not give him time to get his players in place before firing him.
You keep comparing first year to first year. I am comparing the team we have now in its third year under Boom to a Florida team that was 4-7, finished 5th in the SEC East last year, and has a new coach in his first year. Now with a new coach in his first year, he has his team playing better than our coach who is now in his third year. That comes with coaching. And if that 4-7 had better talent a year ago compared to us, then a new coach with a successful resume again proves my point. It is about coaching.
are you still comparing the talent level at the start as equal?

Last edited:
So what do you suggest? Change coaches every 3-4 years, keep starting over and never build anything. Most people didn’t want Muschamp but now that he is the coach.
You know, I shouldn't even answer that question because the question shows you either haven't read or have disregarded what I have already posted on several occasions concerning the question of Muschamp. Out of an abundance of conciliation, I'll give you the condensed version: Five Years.

Simply put. They have more talent. Sucks but it's the...

In 2018, they had the 17th ranked recruiting class. We had the 18th. In 2017, they managed to win four games. We won nine. They did not go to a bowl game. We went back to Tampa and beat Michigan, thereby giving our team additional practice time. So exactly when did this shift in the talent level take place? It could not be recruiting as both teams were close for 2018. If they already had all this better talent on the team in 2017, and managed to only win four games, then a new upgrade at coach, one that was a proven winner, again proves my point. Florida is certainly playing better with the new coach. So just when did this influx of better talent take place? Certainly not with the 2018 recruits that ranked 17th overall.

So what do you suggest? Change coaches every 3-4 years, keep starting over and never build anything. Most people didn’t want Muschamp but now that he is the coach why not give him time to get his players in place before firing him.

are you still comparing the talent level at the start as equal?
Do you actually take the time to read my posts before you ask these questions? My whole point is that it bothers me greatly that we are in year three with another bad looking team while others in our league went out and hired coaches with winning resumes. They put out the money to bring in winners. And they are already playing better in their first years under new coaches than we are in year three with ours. As for getting rid of any coach, I have posted before a minimum of five and a maximum of seven to see where the program stands after seven years. I do not think he is going to be a big winner here as he was not a success at Florida. If you can not sustain a school that was playing for championships about every year after SOS arrived, then how are you going to turn the corner with a program that has been mediocre for most of its history? I get tired of the "talent" excuses especially for someone in their third year.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Do you actually take the time to read my posts before you ask these questions? My whole point is that it bothers me greatly that we are in year three with another bad looking team while others in our league went out and hired coaches with winning resumes. They put out the money to bring in winners. And they are already playing better in their first years under new coaches than we are in year three with ours. As for getting rid of any coach, I have posted before a minimum of five and a maximum of seven to see where the program stands after seven years. I do not think he is going to be a big winner here as he was not a success at Florida. If you can not sustain a school that was playing for championships about every year after SOS arrived, then how are you going to turn the corner with a program that has been mediocre for most of its history? I get tired of the "talent" excuses especially for someone in their third year.
Yes I read all of your post but they don’t make a lot of sense to me. Talent matters. USC doesn’t get a lot of 4-5 Star talent like other teams. Will never happen until we win consistently, no matter how much you want to think it will. Even during the best period of our football history Spurrier only had a consistently good team for 3 years. Even during those 3 years we were not a great team that would blow out an opponent, except for the rare game like UGA 2012. We won a lot of close games which i do believe is the mark of a good team, but we would lose to a terrible team that would keep us out of Atlanta. If you are not a blue blood program it takes much longer to build a consistent winner.

Reactions: rogue cock
So to be enlightened is to see that a team that finished 4-7 last year is now 3-1 in the SEC East and 5-1 overall with a first year successful coach that came from MSU. The same 4-7 team from a year ago that just defeated the #5 team in the nation in LSU at home. Thanks for proving my point. Cheers, Troll. Nice try.

Ok. Look at Fla’s pass rush or did you watch their game ? They have way more talent in the front 7 and possibly entire D than we do and it’s probably not close On O we have some skill players that are comparable to them. You keep bringing up their 4-7 record last year but that was with a crappy coach. Talent was always there. They will be very hard to beat. Not sold on Franks but their D is way better than ours

Does the new QB play D? I think the Vandy QB had over 300 yards passing.
You're arguing the inarguable. More offense keeps the other team's quarterback off the field. Notre Dame might have some close calls. They might conceivably lose to somebody - but they probably won't. If they do, it won't be to anyone as impotent as Vanderbilt - not now. Several years ago, Ohio State won the national championship after LOSING to Va. Tech at home. If reports of their demise that year were premature, the idea that Notre Dame isn't legit right now is ridiculous.

Agree they look good. Not sure what they have left schedule wise but I could see them in the playoffs. If they have one loss at end of year it’s a guarantee they are in

You're arguing the inarguable. More offense keeps the other team's quarterback off the field. Notre Dame might have some close calls. They might conceivably lose to somebody - but they probably won't. If they do, it won't be to anyone as impotent as Vanderbilt - not now. Several years ago, Ohio State won the national championship after LOSING to Va. Tech at home. If reports of their demise that year were premature, the idea that Notre Dame isn't legit right now is ridiculous.
The point is I don’t care how good the ND offense is now or then. You made a point to criticize how terrible Vandy’s team was when a previous post commented on our defense shutting them down. The fact is Vandy put up over 300 passing yards on them and almost 100 rushing yards. Carolina held them under 200 yards passing and under 100 yards rushing. Although still at the bottom of the conference, Vandy is better than they were pre-Franklin. You can’t argue otherwise.

It is funny how you have all types of excuses for other teams, but when it comes to Carolina the circumstances do not matter. That is one reason I disregard most of your comments. You are like Eeyore with a black cloud following you around. Why not pick another team that makes you happy? Life is too short, especially for an old timer like you. I have no problem with criticism, but 95% of what you post is negative.

Reactions: dallascock
It is funny how you have all types of excuses for other teams, but when it comes to Carolina the circumstances do not matter. That is one reason I disregard most of your comments. You are like Eeyore with a black cloud following you around. Why not pick another team that makes you happy? Life is too short, especially for an old timer like you. I have no problem with criticism, but 95% of what you post is negative.
Evidently you find my comments sufficiently compelling to prompt the advancement of your baseless argument. Do you have data on a matrix someplace regarding my "negative" posts? How about putting it up if you have the information. The truth is, what I posted with regard to the point you raised is factual as of today. And today is more relevant than yesterday or several weeks ago, when Vanderbilt lost a close game at Notre Dame which they never led and Notre Dame's current quarterback was waiting to emerge. Florida even lost a home game to a team it had beaten 30-something straight times, but today they are ranked four spots higher than the team who, you know, actually beat them. No credible person would deny that Notre Dame has out-shined Florida so far this year, so Notre Dame is certainly not in danger of being downgraded by an aberrant performance versus a pesky Vanderbilt team that was yet to discover that their suckage level is going to be about like usual.

Evidently you find my comments sufficiently compelling to prompt the advancement of your baseless argument. Do you have data on a matrix someplace regarding my "negative" posts? How about putting it up if you have the information. The truth is, what I posted with regard to the point you raised is factual as of today. And today is more relevant than yesterday or several weeks ago, when Vanderbilt lost a close game at Notre Dame which they never led and Notre Dame's current quarterback was waiting to emerge. Florida even lost a home game to a team it had beaten 30-something straight times, but today they are ranked four spots higher than the team who, you know, actually beat them. No credible person would deny that Notre Dame has out-shined Florida so far this year, so Notre Dame is certainly not in danger of being downgraded by an aberrant performance versus a pesky Vanderbilt team that was yet to discover that their suckage level is going to be about like usual.
I don’t need a spreadsheet to know I avoid most of your comments because you provide no real insight to anything regarding Gamecock sports. I would rather spend my time reading insider opinions on twitter and other posters that actually provide meaningful content. The fact you can never admit when you stick your foot in your mouth and make baseless comment tells me all I need to know about you. Take some geritol and get in the bed a little earlier tonight. You are too old to be up past midnight again.

I don’t need a spreadsheet to know I avoid most of your comments because you provide no real insight to anything regarding Gamecock sports. I would rather spend my time reading insider opinions on twitter and other posters that actually provide meaningful content...
You're contradicting what you say you believe with each passing post.

You still haven't explained what ND finding a new QB has to do with Vandy's offense putting up huge numbers against NDs defense. Comparatively, he right we defended Vandy much better than ND did.

You still haven't explained what ND finding a new QB has to do with Vandy's offense putting up huge numbers against NDs defense. Comparatively, he right we defended Vandy much better than ND did.
I believe our defense did a good job at Vandy.

As to the other game in question: the more your offense generates, the less their offense is on the field. ND wasn't superior (380 yards) on offense against Vandy. They weren't helping their defense by mounting longer drives, so Vandy got 420 yards against the defense - big numbers, not huge in this day and age - but big. Time of possession was pretty even but that worked to the advantage of Vandy, which was physically over-matched.

ND had a bad day, not finishing drives behind the former quarterback, which was beneficial to Vandy. That was execution. Sometimes you play bad because you aren't ready to play. We got a lesson in that versus that team from Louisiana last year. We played like crap until the very last quarter.

ND presents a different offensive challenge now that the new QB in there. He finishes. He got 3 snaps against Vandy.

Applying the same logic to our game with Vandy, our offense (534 yards and 80 snaps) helped our defense immensely. They made the job of our defense much easier and it showed up in the box score.

Sometimes a propitious personnel move lifts the entire team. That might be happening in Columbia right now. Apparently that has happened at ND. ND isn't the same team as when they played Vandy; neither is Vandy.

Great comeback. One filled with emotions but nothing about the facts posted. So according to your line of thinking, this 4-7 team must have had better talent a year ago. And yet Florida still finished 5th in the SEC East. Now this team with virtually the same players is 5-1. That equates to better coaching. Period.
Ok here are some facts. Florida has some players who were suspended last year back on this years team. Good players who would have been starters last year. That's why many picked them second in the east this year.

Reactions: USCray
Oh, and remember.....it took Spurrier....Steve Spurrier...THE Steve Spurrier SIX years to get things rolling here
Spur beat UF in his first year. Spur also had street cred. We knew what he was able to accomplish. Tenn was better back then too, so we 3 teams to leap-frog. Contrast that with Champ. He failed at UF, which is kinda difficult to do. Worse yet, he is making the exact same errors at SC as he did at UF. Our offense is mediocre at best. In his 3rd season he's already on his second OC, who replaced that last guy that failed at UF. Champ is a great talker. But the greatest salesman in the world is eventually exposed when he can't produce. We're getting close to that point with Champ. All this talk about his great recruiting, yet I haven't seen him do anything better than Spur. We're still middle of the pack in the SEC in recruiting. We can't catch the big boys without talent and real coaching ability.

I support our school and I support Champ because he's our coach. But, that doesn't mean I can't be skeptical. And so far I'm not seeing a whole lot that encourages me that he has championship coaching ability.

Ok. Look at Fla’s pass rush or did you watch their game ? They have way more talent in the front 7 and possibly entire D than we do and it’s probably not close On O we have some skill players that are comparable to them. You keep bringing up their 4-7 record last year but that was with a crappy coach. Talent was always there. They will be very hard to beat. Not sold on Franks but their D is way better than ours
"You keep bringing up their 4-7 record last year but that was with a crappy coach." Once again, thank you for proving my point. If you bothered to read my initial post, then you have just confirmed what I have said all along. My quote "After watching the Florida game this afternoon, it proves that coaching is the biggest key to success. Their coach has taken a team that was dead in the water a year ago and has already beaten a good MSU team on the road and a great LSU team at home. They are in year one and have already passed us, a program in its third year." Your post just confirmed what I said.

Ok here are some facts. Florida has some players who were suspended last year back on this years team. Good players who would have been starters last year. That's why many picked them second in the east this year.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ew-and-predictions-for-the-2018-season#slide9
East Division

1. Georgia Bulldogs

2. South Carolina Gamecocks

3. Missouri Tigers

4. Tennessee Volunteers

5. Florida Gators

6. Kentucky Wildcats

7. Vanderbilt Commodores

Great comeback. One filled with emotions but nothing about the facts posted. So according to your line of thinking, this 4-7 team must have had better talent a year ago. And yet Florida still finished 5th in the SEC East. Now this team with virtually the same players is 5-1. That equates to better coaching. Period.
I'm sorry but have they finished up thier season? Have we? Did they beat us?

"You keep bringing up their 4-7 record last year but that was with a crappy coach." Once again, thank you for proving my point. If you bothered to read my initial post, then you have just confirmed what I have said all along. My quote "After watching the Florida game this afternoon, it proves that coaching is the biggest key to success. Their coach has taken a team that was dead in the water a year ago and has already beaten a good MSU team on the road and a great LSU team at home. They are in year one and have already passed us, a program in its third year." Your post just confirmed what I said.

Ok but he also has more talent to work with so the rebuild is easier. Did you see their DL? I mean their pass rush was killing the LSU QB. That makes coaching or the rebuild happen much faster. WM ha had to rebuild the roster

Florida game

After watching the Florida game this afternoon, it proves that coaching is the biggest key to success. Their coach has taken a team that was dead in the water a year ago and has already beaten a good MSU team on the road and a great LSU team at home. They are in year one and have already passed us, a program in its third year. Our team is one that can be run on with apparent ease and if not for a self-imploding team out of the state of Missouri, we would be looking at a 2-3 season and an empty stadium moving forward. I was happy for the win but we just don't seem to be able to shut down anyone on defense. And most analysis will tell you defense wins championships. We are no where close right now.
I think you give MSU and LSU too much credit. MSU is average at best and LSU is somewhat better, but not great by a wide margin. KY and TAM are better than both those teams as well as FL - evident by U.K. drilling UF in The Swamp. I think UF has confidence now, which can take a team to new heights, but I wouldn't say they are some SEC champion team under a first year coach. Credit to them though 2-0 against the SEC west - that is an accomplishment for any East team not named UGA.

I think you give MSU and LSU too much credit. MSU is average at best and LSU is somewhat better, but not great by a wide margin. KY and TAM are better than both those teams as well as FL - evident by U.K. drilling UF in The Swamp. I think UF has confidence now, which can take a team to new heights, but I wouldn't say they are some SEC champion team under a first year coach. Credit to them though 2-0 against the SEC west - that is an accomplishment for any East team not named UGA.
I think MSU is better on offense than LSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT