ADVERTISEMENT

Give me the reasons Kingston will succeed.....

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
I want to be positive.

What I don't see on the resume that I would like to: (why I am down)
Trips to super regionals
Trips to Omaha
Power 5 college baseball or MLB experience.

I want to be positive.

Trips to super regionals
Trips to Omaha
Be patient and we will see. Don't believe RT had any of what you mentioned upon arrival. I sense RT has prepared well in making this decision. RT doesn't like to lose either.

I want to be positive.

Trips to super regionals
Trips to Omaha
Dont know about the mlb experience part but as far as college baseball is concerned, Maneri was the only head coach in Omaha this year with any of those on his resume before their current team. If that doesn't cheer you up then try smoking a hawgleg and watching the 3 stooges

Last edited:
Dont know about the mlb experience part but as far as college baseball is concerned, Maneri was the only head coach in Omaha this year with any of those on his resume before their current team. If that doesn't cheer you up then try smoking a hawgleg and watching the 3 stooges

You just planned my Friday evening. Much obliged.

I want to be positive.

Trips to super regionals
Trips to Omaha
Fingers crossed? I have no idea. This is a risky hire just like Holbrook was. For Ray's sake, I hope this one is a slam dunk.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I want to be positive.

Trips to super regionals
Trips to Omaha
Face it.
We have hired and hope and prayer project HC. Maybe he works out maybe he does not.
We would
Not spend the $$$ for a more proven commodity so we must apply sparky Woods logic and talk up how " he will do great things here based on App St oops I mean Illinois St

I wish him the best.
I hope he succeeds in spite of our AD

Face it.
We have hired and hope and prayer project HC. Maybe he works out maybe he does not.
We would
Not spend the $$$ for a more proven commodity so we must apply sparky Woods logic and talk up how " he will do great things here based on App St oops I mean Illinois St

I wish him the best.
I hope he succeeds in spite of our AD

He's been the coach at 2 different schools not just one MVC school so your Sparky Woods' analogy is intellectually dishonest.

Based upon all of the objective evidence of people who are actually involved in college baseball, it was a good hire. Will it succeed? Who knows. But a "hope and a prayer project..." seems to be geared more toward a poster's agenda than actual logic.

I want to be positive.

Trips to super regionals
Trips to Omaha

But folks wanted Monte 5 years and 2 years ago, and even now. How is his resume all that different, other than 2 years at Clemsux losing in home regionals (once as a Top 8 seed)?

But folks wanted Monte 5 years and 2 years ago, and even now. How is his resume all that different, other than 2 years at Clemsux losing in home regionals (once as a Top 8 seed)?

Don't hate on Monte. He achieved more (or at the minimum equal) at CofC that Chad did at Carolina.

Don't hate on Monte. He achieved more (or at the minimum equal) at CofC that Chad did at Carolina.
I am not hating on Monte. Just pointing out the hypocrisy (for lack of a better word) going on around here. Fans can't sit there and say they want one coach with a certain resume and then hate on a coach we hire because he has basically the same resume.

Last edited:
Reactions: wood90
I am not hating on Monte. Just pointing out the hypocrisy (for lack of a better word) going on around here. Fans can't sit there and say they want one coach with a certain resume and then hate on a coach we hire because he has basically the same resume.
I didn't want Monty either.
We went cheap as we always do.
Cluster interview

I am all in on this guy. There is no way any of the big name baseball coaches were going to come here for any amount of money. They all have it too good at TCU, Florida, Louisville, Vandy, UVA, etc. Most have been there more than 5 years and are entrenched. I think Ray may have made a run at O'Sullivan but we may have been able to offer 250K more at best. The dude is basically getting a new ballpark that may best Founder's Park and has the most fertile recruiting area in the country so why leave?

I think we are going to be fine and this guy has deep roots in Florida so we'll be able to bring in some of that talent as well.

I want to be positive.

Trips to super regionals
Trips to Omaha

You can't just look at trips to Omaha. You have to look at success based on the resources around you. Look at the programs where he has been a head coach. Neither had a good history of success. Neither paid him much. Neither had a fan base. Neither had a lot of resources to help the program be successful. Look what he did, now think about what a guy like that can do at a place that DOES have all of the above.

Illinois State
- 10 years before Kingston, 2 winning seasons.
- 5 years with Kingston - 5 winnings seasons, 2 conference championships, 1 conf. tournament championship

South Florida
- Prior to Kingston - 0 NCAAs since 2002
- 3 years with Kingston - 2 NCAAs, 40+ wins this year (first 40+ win season at USF since 1994)
- his team this year had a higher RPI than USC, and had wins over Florida and Florida State.

The guy knows how to win, now he's getting a chance on a bigger stage at place with money, facilities, history etc. to help him succeed.

1). Kingston is not great friends with his boss, they will have a working relationship, he wont feel to comfortable, he will know he has to perform.

This will help Holbrook in his next HC gig as well.

2). He seems intelligent, and I think will be able to comprehend the philosophy, beating Clemson is important even if their is no contractual bonus tied to it.

3). We are South Carolina baseball, hopefully our Mike Dubose era also know as the Chad Holbrook era is over.

4) He seems to play players in high regards by the MLB scouts when he has them vs keep them on the bench, to force transfer.

5) Baseball is Tanner's arena, who proved he could identify fast rises in other sports in his football search with Taggart and Riley, I have more confidence he can identify the same in baseball and "hit" on this hire.

6) We need to get top talent outside the state to supplement what is in the state, like Carlos Cortes of Florida.

Last edited:
Do some of you even follow college baseball???? Lol. Kingston had a top 5 recruiting class at USF in 2015. He is known for being a heavily fundamental type coach who has garnered rave reviews for his ability to evaluate talent as well as developing his players. Kingston will be a rock star at Carolina. Write that down.

You can't just look at trips to Omaha. You have to look at success based on the resources around you. Look at the programs where he has been a head coach. Neither had a good history of success. Neither paid him much. Neither had a fan base. Neither had a lot of resources to help the program be successful. Look what he did, now think about what a guy like that can do at a place that DOES have all of the above.

Illinois State
- 10 years before Kingston, 2 winning seasons.
- 5 years with Kingston - 5 winnings seasons, 2 conference championships, 1 conf. tournament championship

South Florida
- Prior to Kingston - 0 NCAAs since 2002
- 3 years with Kingston - 2 NCAAs, 40+ wins this year (first 40+ win season at USF since 1994)
- his team this year had a higher RPI than USC, and had wins over Florida and Florida State.

The guy knows how to win, now he's getting a chance on a bigger stage at place with money, facilities, history etc. to help him succeed.
Look at sparky rin at App st.
Means nothing.

Do some of you even follow college baseball???? Lol. Kingston had a top 5 recruiting class at USF in 2015. He is known for being a heavily fundamental type coach who has garnered rave reviews for his ability to evaluate talent as well as developing his players. Kingston will be a rock star at Carolina. Write that down.
Wow! Surprised. No one else wanted him. Lucky us!!

You'd think USF could have found maybe 150k for a great HC like this.

He may do great things at USC and I hope he does.
Just tired of a crappy AD and cheap BOT that always has us Pounding coal praying for a diamond to emerge.

Just tired of a crappy AD and cheap BOT that always has us Pounding coal praying for a diamond to emerge.
Who would you suggest we hire and how much are you willing to pay for him?

Didn't Bama and VaTech try to hire him? From reading, he definitely was on a lot of schools short list.
I thought I'd read where someone posted that but wasn't sure if they were talking about him or someone else.

USF's athletic Dept is in the red. No money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT