ADVERTISEMENT

Hilinski is QB2 - Dak given the day off...

Except Driskel led them to 11-2 as a full starter before he broke is leg.

My impression was that Driskel was always looking over his shoulder and Muschamp was never comfortable with him-- leading to a constant uneasy feeling at QB. Whether it was Jacoby initially and then Murphy and Treon Harris. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: Brace1
My impression was that Driskel was always looking over his shoulder and Muschamp was never comfortable with him-- leading to a constant uneasy feeling at QB. Whether it was Jacoby initially and then Murphy and Treon Harris. But I could be wrong.
No. Driskel was the locked in starter and played very well until his injury. Physically he was fine when he came back but was not the same QB. They didn't have a choice but to sit him and he transferred following that year. His stats were miserable when he came back.

I like the idea we are getting to the point when a 4* QB is our 3rd team QB. That's not a hit on Dak and the call was most likely a close call between the two backups. At the D1 level it's all about competing because you're not in high school Kansas anymore. Dak could transfer out but it would surprise me if it's this season,but who knows. If he wants to play on Sunday down the road it won't be at QB so I'd like to see him stick and see what happens. I think the backup decision was the right one but it's a long and brutal season ahead and Dak should stick around because his shot could come.

We are the only one to give him a fair shot at QB and now we are the bad guy? Dak has a big decision to make. Does he want to make money or be a QB? We all have to deal with reality eventually. He will be angry and bitter for a while but once he sees his best path then I believe he will find happiness.

LOL he never had a chance to play QB at UofSC. the coaches just sold him that BS to get him to sign. then hope to change his mind later when he couldn't cut it.

Likely. It's entire possible the coaches knew he'd never win the starting QB job and felt safe telling he could come in and compete for QB. They could have done that and still given him a fair shot to win the job.

No. Driskel was the locked in starter and played very well until his injury. Physically he was fine when he came back but was not the same QB. They didn't have a choice but to sit him and he transferred following that year. His stats were miserable when he came back.

That's not quite how I remember it. UF was good in 2012, but it didn't have a whole lot to do with their QB play. They were 116th in the nation in pass attempts and 118th in passing yards per game. People were upset that Muschamp picked Driskel over Jacoby even then.

That's not quite how I remember it. UF was good in 2012, but it didn't have a whole lot to do with their QB play. They were 116th in the nation in pass attempts and 118th in passing yards per game. People were upset that Muschamp picked Driskel over Jacoby even then.
Look at the stats for their games before his injury and after. I did when this "issue" came up several months ago. Other QBs were getting scrap time prior to his injury.

Players change position all the time. He likely is not making it to the NFL as a qb......so why not look ar another position? Jalen Hurd was a RB at UT, and a pretty good SEC back. He transferred to Baylor, and they made him a receiver. He is on the 49ers right now as a receiver.

Joyner can help us somewhere.....hope we find that spot for him. But yeah, he could likely transfer and make some smaller school a very good QB on talent alone with his running ability. Hope he stays and we use him.

Reactions: rogue cock
Bentley is a great QB. IMHO Hillinski looks like a poor mans Chris Smelley. Doty is Legit. Dak was better than Hilliinski

Bentley is a great QB. IMHO Hillinski looks like a poor mans Chris Smelley. Doty is Legit. Dak was better than Hilliinski
I'm not sure what you mean by "Hillinski looks like a poor mans Chris Smelley"? But it appears that you know more about QB talent than our coaching staff. You should apply for a coaching job. We could use a good coach.

Reactions: tngamecock#
I'm just glad (and surprised) Coach Muschamp didn't go with the ole Joyner OR Hilinski for the first game.

Reactions: tngamecock#
If you want credibility how about start with spelling Ryan's last name correctly.

Anyone that watched the spring game and wasn't delusional could see Dak was NOT the better of the two. Even after being here a year more. I think the coaches have given him a fair shake and are doing the right thing by telling him before the season starts.

Hilinksi better see substantial playing time in 4 games. If we go into next season without any experienced QB on the roster, we'll be screwed.

He should take a significant number of snaps against CSU and App State, perhaps playing the full 3rd and 4th quarters. He ought to see good time against Vandy as well. I say, worst case scenario, one of the games against Bama, UGA or Clemson is out of hand at halftime, give him the 2nd half to get some experienced against elite, fast defenses.

That's his 4 games.
That's what I mean. He can redshirt and still get valuable playing time this year in 4 games.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Hillinski looks like a poor mans Chris Smelley"? But it appears that you know more about QB talent than our coaching staff. You should apply for a coaching job. We could use a good coach.
muschamp has a stellar record with QB's doesn't he LOL. trust the coaches.....meanwhile watch bentley play all season long and be left with an unseasoned QB next season.

Coach for 22 years. elite 11 instructor.....
So you know more than our coaching staff, all the major recruiting services, and the coaching staffs of all 35 schools that offered him. Like someone else said, we really need you on our staff. Good job tater

Reactions: rogue cock
I wonder what his transfer options truly are. If he's dead set on playing QB it might have to be at the FCS level. If he wants to transfer and position change to stay in the P5 who's going to take him? He's going to be a project, not a finished product so the top tier programs aren't going to take him unless they are really short at the position. Dabo doesn't even take transfers. I could see an NC State level program going after him though.
Not at QB.

We are the only one to give him a fair shot at QB and now we are the bad guy? Dak has a big decision to make. Does he want to make money or be a QB? We all have to deal with reality eventually. He will be angry and bitter for a while but once he sees his best path then I believe he will find happiness.
Bad Guy? Who said Bad Guy?

Hilinksi better see substantial playing time in 4 games. If we go into next season without any experienced QB on the roster, we'll be screwed.

He should take a significant number of snaps against CSU and App State, perhaps playing the full 3rd and 4th quarters. He ought to see good time against Vandy as well. I say, worst case scenario, one of the games against Bama, UGA or Clemson is out of hand at halftime, give him the 2nd half to get some experienced against elite, fast defenses.

That's his 4 games.
If it were up to me I would play him as much as I could and forget the RS. He needs as much experience as possible going into next season.

I wonder what his transfer options truly are. If he's dead set on playing QB it might have to be at the FCS level. If he wants to transfer and position change to stay in the P5 who's going to take him? He's going to be a project, not a finished product so the top tier programs aren't going to take him unless they are really short at the position. Dabo doesn't even take transfers. I could see an NC State level program going after him though.

Good points . A big time program like Bama , LSU , UGA etc etc might grab him and stash him for a year . He’s got athletic ability that is something you just can’t coach . He makes for a good high risk high reward project . Don’t be surprised if Auburn takes a flyer on him . He very much fits that Nick Marshall , Cam type of QB that Gus Loves . Cam was a much more polished passer but Marshall was basically just another playmaker in the backfield and that team was a minute away from a National Champ . Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up there .

All I can say is Joyner seems like a great kid and in this crazy game you never know what might happen or when your number might get called.
I understand he came here for the shot at QB...he can look around the SEC QB's and see that he isn't the typical mold. If that's what he wants to continue to pursue then I think he should do so - hopefully here at SC.
He's also got to ask himself if he wants to get on the field with a Power 5 school (hopefully with us), what does he need to do at this point to make that happen.
Hoping nothing but the best for him!

Let's be honest here, neither Joyner or Hilinski was ever going to play a down this year anyway as long as Muschamp has his chubby little fingers in the offensive pie, lol.

Reactions: jonesz21 and Brace1
Let's be honest here, neither Joyner or Hilinski was ever going to play a down this year anyway as long as Muschamp has his chubby little fingers in the offensive pie, lol.

No one knows how it will work out
The season will tell

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT