ADVERTISEMENT

Holbroke. 3-6 last 9 against orange overalls.

Is it possible for Tanner to communicate with Holbrook via headphone during the game to teach him how to be a head coach? The guy looks lost to me. We keep getting all these top notch recruits, or at least we are told they are, and the coaching lets them down, and the fans down.

I am usually one of the so called "sunshine pumpers" defending against the crowd that wants to fire Holbrook. The game is not over but we are down by two in the 11th. Regardless of the outcome, this game has moved me to the other side. Holbrook made two critical errors late in this game that to me are inexcusable! The first was the decision to pitch to Beer in the 9th! You cant let that guy beat you with a base open! 10 times out of 10 you walk that guy! Especially when you fall behind 3-0! The second inexcusable mistake was pinch hitting for Destino in the bottom of the ninth with 2 on and nobody out! WHY! WHY! WHY! I am now one of the guys that thinks Holbrook is holding this team back! Time to make a change!

Last edited:
Wait until Monte gets a few recruiting classes under his belt. Ugh.

I agree. It's scary to think about. Monte had successful head coaching experience before Klemzun. We have a head coach learning on the job. We also have an athletic director learning on the job as well. It is a potential big time mess.

I agree. It's scary to think about. Monte had successful head coaching experience before Klemzun. We have a head coach learning on the job. We also have an athletic director learning on the job as well. It is a potential big time mess.
Not potential the mess is happening.

There wont be 500 there Tuesday night. But they will announce 5000.

It was really weird today....I felt like I was watching Tanner out-coach Leggett but in reverse and it was out guy getting completely out-coached.
Except I don't think Leggett would make a call as dumb as pitching to Beer with 2 outs in the 9th....especially when it got to a 3-0 count. There is no good explanation for that at all....NONE.

I am usually one of the so called "sunshine pampers" defending against the crowd that wants to fire Holbrook. The game is not over but we are down by two in the 11th. Regardless of the outcome, this game has moved me to the other side. Holbrook made two critical errors late in this game that to me are inexcusable! The first was the decision to pitch to Beer in the 9th! You cant let that guy beat you with a base open! 10 times out of 10 you walk that guy! Especially when you fall behind 3-0! The second inexcusable mistake was pinch hitting for Destino in the bottom of the ninth with 2 on and nobody out! WHY! WHY! WHY! I am now one of the guys that thinks Holbrook is holding this team back! Time to make a change!

I am a Clemson fan, but hopefully capable of decent debate. Once Beer was ahead in the count 3-0, I can see giving him a pass. However, you never ever not ever put the tying run on in that situation. It opens you up to the possibility of losing the game in one swing. Pinch hitting for Destino was very puzzling, but I haven't followed SC baseball enough this year to know if he has been hitting well.

What happened this weekend is that two very good teams played 3 very close games, and Clemson scored one more total run. SC has great starting pitching, and has a damn fine baseball team. Clemson found a way to win 2 out of 3. When you play good teams you are going to lose some. SC baseball is on great footing, and I can't see the reason for making a change. I expect SC to be very good this season.

Is it possible for Tanner to communicate with Holbrook via headphone during the game to teach him how to be a head coach? The guy looks lost to me. We keep getting all these top notch recruits, or at least we are told they are, and the coaching lets them down, and the fans down.
or we just aren't developing them....just cuz their the best in the country doesnt mean it translates into wins.....something is askew here

Reactions: humble servant
Question: Chad, can you please give us your thoughts on the game?

Answer:
hqdefault.jpg

He said he was proud of the team and they battled. Sounds like he wants to use Tanner lingo, except the battle ended in a loss again. He needed to be just a little mad or upset and it didn't appear to be either.

I am a Clemson fan, but hopefully capable of decent debate. Once Beer was ahead in the count 3-0, I can see giving him a pass. However, you never ever not ever put the tying run on in that situation. It opens you up to the possibility of losing the game in one swing. Pinch hitting for Destino was very puzzling, but I haven't followed SC baseball enough this year to know if he has been hitting well.

What happened this weekend is that two very good teams played 3 very close games, and Clemson scored one more total run. SC has great starting pitching, and has a damn fine baseball team. Clemson found a way to win 2 out of 3. When you play good teams you are going to lose some. SC baseball is on great footing, and I can't see the reason for making a change. I expect SC to be very good this season.

First of all, thank you for engaging in a reasonable debate. It is rare that a Gamecock fan and a Tiger fan can do that without falling into their "fandom." I have been one of the staunchest supporters of Holbrook for a long time because I understand the game and I realize that baseball is very different from every sort because by nature, it is a very difficult game to predict. But the evidence is piling up that coach Chad is in over his head. I am not saying that they should fire him immediately because making a change now solves nothing. But his decisions yesterday confirm to me that anything short of an Omaha appearance is no longer acceptable to me. And even if they do make it to Omaha, strong consideration of making a change at seasons end needs to be done.

Usually I agree that putting the tying run on base is a bad idea, but in this case I think it was the correct call. Beer is a special talent. And once the count got to 2-0 it becomes a no brainer to put him on and take your chances with the next guy. The more puzzling move to me was taking the bat out of Destino's hands! Even if you choose to bunt in that situation (which by the way is the correct decision), Destino could have failed just as miserably as the pinch hitter did and you don't lose his bat for the rest of the game if it goes to extra innings!

Holbrook should finish the season and then a change needs to be made!

First of all, thank you for engaging in a reasonable debate. It is rare that a Gamecock fan and a Tiger fan can do that without falling into their "fandom." I have been one of the staunchest supporters of Holbrook for a long time because I understand the game and I realize that baseball is very different from every sort because by nature, it is a very difficult game to predict. But the evidence is piling up that coach Chad is in over his head. I am not saying that they should fire him immediately because making a change now solves nothing. But his decisions yesterday confirm to me that anything short of an Omaha appearance is no longer acceptable to me. And even if they do make it to Omaha, strong consideration of making a change at seasons end needs to be done.

Usually I agree that putting the tying run on base is a bad idea, but in this case I think it was the correct call. Beer is a special talent. And once the count got to 2-0 it becomes a no brainer to put him on and take your chances with the next guy. The more puzzling move to me was taking the bat out of Destino's hands! Even if you choose to bunt in that situation (which by the way is the correct decision), Destino could have failed just as miserably as the pinch hitter did and you don't lose his bat for the rest of the game if it goes to extra innings!

Holbrook should finish the season and then a change needs to be made!

We also had a runner at 2nd with no outs and didn't attempt a bunt to move him to 3rd. Unacceptable when we're having trouble scoring.

Now he says that this will be a priority moving forward. His lack of game management skills probably cost us 2 games this weekend. You know Tanner would have won Sunday's game.

We should have hired Monty Lee when we had the chance...
When I was a first year teacher at Union High School, Monte was at Excelsior Middle in the same district (this was 2001) we sat together all the time at our induction meetings... he is a great dude and is (or was) a huge Gamecock fan. We missed the boat big time on this one. Big time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT