ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Clemson fan roll call

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
Just a quick check, back in January I was told by every single Clemson fan I passed that I should pull for Clemson to win the National Title in football because it was good for the state. Now I want to know, HONESTLY, how many are going to do the same for our basketball teams?
I will say, so far, I have heard a few say they are hoping we do it and a few say they hate basketball and dont care. Even a couple say that it doesnt matter if we do or dont, they got football and thats all that matters anyway.
Just checking the pulse of Clemson fans here, where are you with our teams being in the final four?

Just a quick check, back in January I was told by every single Clemson fan I passed that I should pull for Clemson to win the National Title in football because it was good for the state. Now I want to know, HONESTLY, how many are going to do the same for our basketball teams?
I will say, so far, I have heard a few say they are hoping we do it and a few say they hate basketball and dont care. Even a couple say that it doesnt matter if we do or dont, they got football and thats all that matters anyway.
Just checking the pulse of Clemson fans here, where are you with our teams being in the final four?
I don't think many will pull for us but I think it will be easier for some to pull for us since they won the NC in football.

I hope the state can pull off the trifecta. Football, baseball and basketball NC consecutively. Would be great for the state.

Last edited:
I am an honest Clemson fan (and have never pretended to be anything different on this board.) I give the Gamecocks a huge amount of credit for an incredible accomplishment. I never imagined you making it this far and keep thinking the next game will be the end of the run. In total seriousness and honesty, I give you major credit and congratulations.

However, I will never, and I mean NEVER, pull for the Gamecocks to win in anything! My biggest preference in any sport is to watch Clemson win. A very close second on that list is watching the Gamecocks lose. It is part of being a fan and I wouldn't imagine a Gamecock fan feeling any differently.

I didn't expect any true Gamecock fans to pull for Clemson in the football championship regardless of any state pride I think most Gamecock fans respect what Clemson did in football, but they did not cheer for them to win. I fully expect most on this board were pulling harder for Clemson to lose than for Alabama to win. That is the beauty of a rivalry.

I am an honest Clemson fan (and have never pretended to be anything different on this board.) I give the Gamecocks a huge amount of credit for an incredible accomplishment. I never imagined you making it this far and keep thinking the next game will be the end of the run. In total seriousness and honesty, I give you major credit and congratulations.

However, I will never, and I mean NEVER, pull for the Gamecocks to win in anything! My biggest preference in any sport is to watch Clemson win. A very close second on that list is watching the Gamecocks lose. It is part of being a fan and I wouldn't imagine a Gamecock fan feeling any differently.

I didn't expect any true Gamecock fans to pull for Clemson in the football championship regardless of any state pride I think most Gamecock fans respect what Clemson did in football, but they did not cheer for them to win. I fully expect most on this board were pulling harder for Clemson to lose than for Alabama to win. That is the beauty of a rivalry.

Well said, Tater.

I am an honest Clemson fan (and have never pretended to be anything different on this board.) I

However, I will never, and I mean NEVER, pull for the Gamecocks to win in anything!

As it should be. I feel the exact same about Clemson and for the life of me can't understand why some do pull for their hated rival. Would suit me fine if a catastrophic event took place and a massive sink hole swallowed that whole place.

Awesome. You're a great rival fan. I feel the same as you except the other way around.

I've known many kids that played sports at CU and other colleges, and I always pull for them. Or maybe not pull for them so much or on every play, but I give them credit for making a play.
Now when a player I don't know or care for makes a play they get called things inappropriate for this board and would make some people run for cover or a safe space!

Reactions: SliderUSC

Spot-on! I can respect that, as I feel the same way 180* the other way. :D

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo

You never passed me then. I've had this discussions with co-workers on both sides about this topic. A TRUE FAN.......of either side NEVER pulls for the rival......EVER. I never have and never will pull for the gamecocks to win in anything.

That being said, I do think that fans from BOTH sides should respect/acknowledge/congratulate their rivals if/when they accomplish these types of achievements (ie football national championship & final 4 appearance/bball national title & CWS title). I have seen Clemson fans AND South Carolina fans disrespect/downplay football, baseball, & basketball accomplishments and I think that's ridiculous and is just sour grapes..............With that said I congratulate the gamecock basketball team (both of them) for their accomplishments and to you fans I say go live it up if you can out in arizona, but I can't pull for you........nor would I expect y'all to pull for clemson.

Don't you just want to see "the best team win"? That's what some Gamecock posters on hear said about the college football playoff. Man, they love, love, LOVE watching Clemson and Bama play.

I hate your team but as such I respect and appreciate your stance. I will never cheer for you. Don't expect or want the same.

You never passed me then. I've had this discussions with co-workers on both sides about this topic. A TRUE FAN.......of either side NEVER pulls for the rival......EVER. I never have and never will pull for the gamecocks to win in anything.

That being said, I do think that fans from BOTH sides should respect/acknowledge/congratulate their rivals if/when they accomplish these types of achievements (ie football national championship & final 4 appearance/bball national title & CWS title). I have seen Clemson fans AND South Carolina fans disrespect/downplay football, baseball, & basketball accomplishments and I think that's ridiculous and is just sour grapes..............With that said I congratulate the gamecock basketball team (both of them) for their accomplishments and to you fans I say go live it up if you can out in arizona, but I can't pull for you........nor would I expect y'all to pull for clemson.
Heartfelt understanding, I agree with your assessment. You're the type of tater fan I'd probably tell to "go $crew yourself"...then buy you a beer...take care.

Didn't want to start a whole other Clemson thread but I had a question about their supposedly derogatory nickname for us Gamecock fans. Why do they call us coots? Isn't a coot a duck? What does that have to do with Gamecocks? I get the tater reference. It's from IPTAY which USC fans made into the acronym "I Plant Taters Avery Year"

Totally not true. Im a gamecock fan. Tried and true. I pulled for Clemson. I wanted to see my friends happy. To say True Fan you applying your definition to the phrase. Like I think a true fan never bashes players. Or a true adult never bashes kids. I really just hope we win. And believe we can. I'm a Gamecock and a son of SC.

Don't expect you to pull for USC. However...don't get what satisfaction you get for being on this site. Enjoy! Proud of the Gamecocks!

I didn't expect any true Gamecock fans to pull for Clemson in the football championship regardless of any state pride I think most Gamecock fans respect what Clemson did in football, but they did not cheer for them to win. I fully expect most on this board were pulling harder for Clemson to lose than for Alabama to win. That is the beauty of a rivalry.[/QUOTE]

Didn't want to start a whole other Clemson thread but I had a question about their supposedly derogatory nickname for us Gamecock fans. Why do they call us coots? Isn't a coot a duck? What does that have to do with Gamecocks? I get the tater reference. It's from IPTAY which USC fans made into the acronym "I Plant Taters Avery Year"

Easier to spell?

GOCOCKS! BEATAUB! BEATSTANFORD! BEATGONZAGA!

I'm not a big basketball fan and don't usually watch basketball games unless Clemson is playing. I probably won't even watch the game. If I do, I certainly won't be pulling for USC, but I respect what they have accomplished. If they win out, I won't be upset or jealous. I'll just tip my hat to them. It's hard to do what they've done and they've earned what they've achieved. I'm impressed with the way they have played and the job Frank Martin has done.

Dabo was asked the same thing and his answer sums up pretty much how I feel too. Dabo's response in case you missed it...

"Am I rooting for any team in particular in the Final Four? Boy, what a loaded question that is," Swinney commented. "No, I assume you are asking me about South Carlina. I don't know Coach [Frank] Martin but what an unbelievable job. I know how hard that is to do. To do something that hasn't ever been done or to do something that hasn't been done in forever I think that is a real credit to the job not only he and his coaches have done but the leaders on his team. It takes an incredible amount of belief and mental toughness to be able to accomplish what they have accomplished."

"I did get a chance to watch them a couple times," Swinney said. "They are probably playing as good as anybody in the country right now, playing with great chemistry, great confidence and toughness. So those guys, I'm happy for them because they have earned it. Nobody has given it to them. The best team is going to win whoever that is."

Last edited:
Reactions: bmhood1984
Well said no rival pulls for the other ever. BUT don't tell our gamecock flagship 1075 that. It was sickening hearing the commercial for the jewelry warehouse over and over on come buy your clempsin national title shirts. Wonder if Auburn's station let's someone advertise for bama merchandise.

Reactions: nikolas22

I second that sentiment.

I get tired of this banter when it has absolutely no place in the discussion.

If quempsum were playing ISIS in any sport for world peace I would go to the game sporting a turban.

As it should be. I feel the exact same about Clemson and for the life of me can't understand why some do pull for their hated rival. Would suit me fine if a catastrophic event took place and a massive sink hole swallowed that whole place.

I'm going to put that on my pray list.

This is the beauty of sports...you can pull for whoever you want to! if rival fans do or don't pull for both teams is there choice and it really doesn't matter. just be thankful that your favorite team is winning.

It's amusing that taters can't distinguish between a duck ( coot ) and ass kickin chicken.

I would think it especially embarrassing for those "out standing in their field" grads who hold BS degrees in Animal

Husbandry.

Reactions: funktavious
There are a lot of Clemson and South Carolina fans (and fans in general) that don't take this stuff that seriously. They like to pull for their team, hope they do well, but they don't live and die with it.

They realize these are college age people playing a game.

I think they are the smart ones.

Reactions: acmnni1

The ones that say they hate basketball and don't care are the ones that will watch every second of the game pulling for us to lose.

I can't say I am pulling for you but I have watched the games and I have been impressed with the play of both teams. Both truly are playing great and deserve to be there. If either(or both) win it all I will congratulate you guys and say good job. Both teams have represented USC and the state well in the tourney.

I thought about cheering for you guys...because it seems nothing brings down a basketball program like having Clemson fans supporting them, but no...Hoping you guys lose...but will congratulate you when it's over for a heck of an accomplishment...then never speak of it again.

Well what ticked me off was circulating as an email at work that was asking if gamecock fans will be happy with a "participation ribbon" as the runner-up is "first loser"......said that's the way they felt after their NC game against bama when they lost.....blah blah blah....bet I wouldn't have heard that had they lost the game in January.
So we had a "heart to hear" since it's all supposed to be good natured friends, and came to the conclusion that runner-up is not a bad spot at all, and particularly with our men's BB team since expectations were nowhere near this, even as early as a few short weeks ago. Conversely, runner-up would've been harder for taters since they have been as good as they've shown for the last 5-8 years (and i hate to say it, but 10 and 11 win football seasons with wins over Myer (twice), Stoops (twice), and Saban is pretty dang good.
But right now, I don't care if any of them pull for us cause I sure can't pull for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT