ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question here about Texas and green energy

Do you really think the people that are burning their furniture to survive give a rats ass what Ted Cruz or AO freaking C think? No, they just want to be warm.
Probably not but one is helping her fellow Americans in Texas while the other, an actual elected official in Texas, was just trying to take a vacation at the Ritz Carlton Cancún.

You getting something for nothing. Being taken care of by your owners, the Democratic Party. It’s not the best but unfortunately that’s all there is.
I would suggest that you stop believing that either party is looking out for anyone’s interest other than their own. The blind faith in a political party is a real problem as people are losing any ability to think as they just want to repeat party talking points.

So I see where politically AOC is saying if Texas had invested in green energy, then none of the issues they are dealing with right now would have happened. All this is a reason for green new deal. So my question is, it seems everything went bad when solar panels and wind turbines froze up, literally. Are those not considered renewable sources of energy and therefore “green” energy? If so doesn’t that make her argument completely idiotic? Not trying to get a political issue going but correct me please if I am wrong about wind turbines and solar panels being green sources of energy. Maybe I am wrong there. I don’t truly follow that type of stuff all to closely.
Texas's problems this.week had nothing to do with wind turbines and solar panels. The failures were largely due to failures with natural gas and coal fueled power plants.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Wind was responsible for 25% of the grid, not 10% like she said. Ask California if their brownouts come from frozen wind turbines or fossil fuels.

You're talking about two different things....

Texas has been dealing with a power shutdown. That DOES NOT MEAN that the entire state of Texas has been totally dark, without 1% of electricity generation.

In normal conditions with 100% power generation to the grid, Wind makes up 25%, nuclear makes up around 5%, solar and hydroelectric makes up around 6%. Natural gas makes up over 50%, and coal makes up around 13%. In the wintertime the "green" energy sources like wind, solar, and hydro makes a lesser % of the total.

Now, what Texas has seen is a major power shutdown, but not total. OF THAT LOSS of energy generation, about 10% of it comes from wind and solar. Texas has STILL been generating a % of power from their wind and solar, and most experts are saying that the "green" sources have performed to their expectations throughout this bitter freezing spell in Texas, if not performed BETTER than expected.

Natural gas is far more valuable in the winter months than in the summer months. You see a "massaging" of electricity generation between "green" energies and oil, coal, and gas (referred to as "Thermal Energy Generators") between the summer months and winter months. Citizens not just in Texas, but across the nation generally utilize natural gas consumption for heating purposes during the colder months, and at this time, the competition for natural gas ACROSS THE UNITED STATES is at its highest.

This played a major factor in natural gas shortages in Texas, who did not foresee such a bitter cold spell, and its citizens having such a high and sudden demand for natural gas. The normal stocks were depleted and the transportation of increased supplies were hit by the sudden arctic cell that froze the highways and supply lines of existing systems.

In fact, most Texas energy experts have said that wind turbines and solar systems have operated almost at their expected levels despite the harsh winter freeze in the state, largely due to normal expectations that they generally ramp down slightly during winter months. It is the natural gas system largely that is the source of the vast shutdown of electricity in Texas....

Last edited:
Ed Hirs, an energy fellow at the University of Houston, said the problem was caused by lack of investment in the state's deregulated power system.

Let this be a lesson to all states, red and blue. When you have a one-party state like Texas (and South Carolina), the politicians feel no accountability. Keep the same party in power all the time and you will get crap all the time, on one issue after another. As long as politicians feel secure that they will win based on party label, they have no incentive to do their job for the general population. If you keep electing the same party over and over again, whether it be a red state or blue state, then don't be shocked when politicians use you as their toilet.

It has totally NOTHING to do with party politics. The US Constitution gives this nation's citizens ALL the powers to govern ourselves, but it says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about party politics or affiliations.

The problem, is the PEOPLE refusing to DO THEIR PART, and holding WHOEVER they elect to represent them, to the fire. Regardless of red or blue.

THE VERY INSTANT YOU FREELY GIVE AWAY YOUR UNALIENABLE RESPONSIBILITY TO GOVERN OVER YOURSELVES, THE VERY INSTANT YOU ARE NO LONGER TRULY FREE TO GOVERN OVER YOURSELVES.

The framers of the Constitution understood this without question 250 years ago, when they lived in log cabins they built of their own hands, and wore wooden soles on the bottom of their feet, and went out every day to shoot and kill the meat they fed to their families every night. But we today are too stupid to understand.....

You're talking about two different things....

Texas has been dealing with a power shutdown. That DOES NOT MEAN that the entire state of Texas has been totally dark, without 1% of electricity generation.

In normal conditions with 100% power generation to the grid, Wind makes up 25%, nuclear makes up around 5%, solar and hydroelectric makes up around 6%. Natural gas makes up over 50%, and coal makes up around 13%. In the wintertime the "green" energy sources like wind, solar, and hydro makes a lesser % of the total.

Now, what Texas has seen is a major power shutdown, but not total. OF THAT LOSS of energy generation, about 10% of it comes from wind and solar. Texas has STILL been generating a % of power from their wind and solar, and most experts are saying that the "green" sources have performed to their expectations throughout this bitter freezing spell in Texas, if not performed BETTER than expected.

Natural gas is far more valuable in the winter months than in the summer months. You see a "massaging" of electricity generation between "green" energies and oil, coal, and gas (referred to as "Thermal Energy Generators") between the summer months and winter months. Citizens not just in Texas, but across the nation generally utilize natural gas consumption for heating purposes during the colder months, and at this time, the competition for natural gas ACROSS THE UNITED STATES is at its highest.

This played a major factor in natural gas shortages in Texas, who did not foresee such a bitter cold spell, and its citizens having such a high and sudden demand for natural gas. The normal stocks were depleted and the transportation of increased supplies were hit by the sudden arctic cell that froze the highways and supply lines of existing systems.

In fact, most Texas energy experts have said that wind turbines and solar systems have operated almost at their expected levels despite the harsh winter freeze in the state, largely due to normal expectations that they generally ramp down slightly during winter months. It is the natural gas system largely that is the source of the vast shutdown of electricity in Texas....
When wind and solar are totally non functional, they are not doing their part. No wind, no juice, No sun, no juice. Ice over panels, no juice, turbines not working, no juice. Ice on overhead distribution lines breaking them, no juice. No pressure on gas lines, no gas. Mother nature makes the call.

What's wrong with her having been a bartender? Did she not achieve the American dream by putting herself through school, working hard, and having a job to help her survive until she accomplished her dream? Why would a previous job make her unqualified to talk about politics when it's her career?

If AOC is the answer to our counties ills then we are in a world of hurt.

Why when something happens it is governments fault and typically one person in government. It is only Governor Abbot‘s fault because Trump isn’t President anymore. For four years, he was blamed on every naturally occurring event. Now Abbott.

Here is a clue - Abbott wasn’t in office when the grid was built. He doesn’t even have direct control over it.

Like elsewhere, other than the common defense of country and emergency services preparedness, the government is inefficient and futile to competently run anything else. Then, as Americans, we complain they do a crappy job when we know they can’t do the job in the first place.

The bad part is Americans have become dependent on the government for everything. So, the real fault of all this incompetence is the American people who think government can do things efficiently.

The last few words of your comment ring very true. I worked in an industry for over forty years that was regulated by the Federal Government. And I can tell you if the Federal Government made Coke Colas they would cost $100.00 per can (and that's a 12 oz. can).

Last edited:
Reactions: cocks rule
Ted Cruz: "4-year old Hispanic babies are not eligible to vote...."
But the parents of those 4 year-old Hispanics are. Texas is not alone in becoming more and more non-white, the whole country is. I don't know about the 2020 presidential election but, since 1988, the percentage of non-whites voting in presidential elections has gotten larger in each presidential election. By 2035, at the latest 2040, the non-white population in the United States will be a majority.

I would suggest that you stop believing that either party is looking out for anyone’s interest other than their own. The blind faith in a political party is a real problem as people are losing any ability to think as they just want to repeat party talking points.
I agree with you and have no delusions about either party or any politician but I know where the most evil, destructive and most dangerous political desires lie. They are the enemy and we must not concede anything to them for the sake of our country and our children.

If AOC is the answer to our counties ills then we are in a world of hurt.
We are the laughing stock of the world. China is in full control of our government. Thankfully God is ultimately in control so I can relax and know what happens is his will and happens for reasons we are not entitled to understand. I really don’t know what people without faith do but I guess that’s what the left is for. Rage, hate and destruction. Sux for them. I guess I’d be mad too.

I don’t think I have ever seen or heard anyone say that.

Biden said it in a debate and during a townhall, cuomo said that Trump brought the virus to america, and that the NY deaths were his fault.

There were countless posts like that here, but they are all deleted months ago.

Its kind of at the point where I have a hard time believing people havent heard that trump was blamed.

Well now you know that it's not only inaccurate, but wildly inaccurate. So we dont need to repeat it and refute it again, right?
You also may want to google the article: "Census: Texas Adding 9 Hispanics To Population For Every White Resident". Now, of course, that includes more than births, I'm sure. But, the bottom-line, whether you like it or not, is that Texas' demographics is rapidly changing.

Ed Hirs, an energy fellow at the University of Houston, said the problem was caused by lack of investment in the state's deregulated power system.

Let this be a lesson to all states, red and blue. When you have a one-party state like Texas (and South Carolina), the politicians feel no accountability. Keep the same party in power all the time and you will get crap all the time, on one issue after another. As long as politicians feel secure that they will win based on party label, they have no incentive to do their job for the general population. If you keep electing the same party over and over again, whether it be a red state or blue state, then don't be shocked when politicians use you as their toilet.
I think the one party in Texas is the Oil and Gas Party. They could go blue and have the same problems.

Cornyn said it. So I will repeat it. And he said it last year, not in 2017.

So you will repeat it knowing it's wrong?

(Yes, the birth stats were from 3 years ago. That was the latest year on cdc.gov.)

I can see repeating the statement to highlight how incorrect it is, and how you dont trust that guy. But to repeat a known false statistic just because you heard a guy say it?

Just to be clear, the only reason AOC got involved in this discussion at all was because Rep. Governor Abbott said some idiotic BS about the green new deal being responsible for the blackouts. She waded in to point out that Texas still produces something like 80-90% of their energy from oil and natural gas, so what he said was simply a lie. IOW- it was the Republican gov of Texas who politicized it, not AOC. I am no staunch defender of or fan the woman, but nothing either of you said is even close to an accurate portrayal of causation for the blackouts nor is any of this an accurate portrayal of the political tussle arising from it.

This was her comment- clearly coming in response to Abbott who is the one who politicized it by making stuff up to denigrate renewable energy.

There is a clear time line and clear cause and effect in play here. The outages are caused by numerous reasons- antiquated infrastructure, inability to transport materials and crews due to iced roads and not enough of the proper equipment to clear the roads... and a thousand other factors we encounter in the South any time we have abnormally severe snow storms... It had absolutely nothing to do with a few frozen wind turbines. Texas produces more power than any state- typically supplies power to other states as they usually have a huge surplus and most of it is produced through fossil fuels. If they lost every wind turbine and solar array in the state at the same time there would not even be a brown out.

To be fair, I took his comments a bit different.

What I took from his comments was that if Texas was even MORE reliant on green energy, the situation would’ve been much worse. Whether wind/solar is 10% or 25% of the energy output currently doesn’t matter, his correct point is they would’ve been worse off if they’d been more reliant on wind/solar.

They ran into issues because natural gas piping and infrastructure wasn’t winterized enough to withstand a freak storm. They ran into issues because at least one nuclear plant had to stop generating because switches froze.

Some of the issues are economically fixable, some aren’t. As usual, in politics, some just want to point fingers and try scoring cheap points.

Biden said it in a debate and during a townhall, cuomo said that Trump brought the virus to america, and that the NY deaths were his fault.

There were countless posts like that here, but they are all deleted months ago.

Its kind of at the point where I have a hard time believing people havent heard that trump was blamed.
Again he wasn’t blamed for COVID. No one has said he was responsible for the creation of COVID. They have said the results in the US are a result of his actions or lack thereof.

Again though I know people get sensitive about Trump (especially Trump himself) but this isn’t exclusive to Trump. Let’s remember that Obama was raked over the coals because he was bringing Ebola into the US and George Bush got this wonderful response following Katrina.
giphy.gif

Reactions: gamecock stock

(Yes, the birth stats were from 3 years ago. That was the latest year on cdc.gov.)

I can see repeating the statement to highlight how incorrect it is, and how you dont trust that guy. But to repeat a known false statistic just because you heard a guy say it?
I don't know that it is wrong. He said it last year. Your article is from 2017.

Also, if you googled the article I referenced, I would not bet that he was wrong.

Again he wasn’t blamed for COVID. No one has said he was responsible for the creation of COVID. They have said the results in the US are a result of his actions or lack thereof.

Again though I know people get sensitive about Trump (especially Trump himself) but this isn’t exclusive to Trump. Let’s remember that Obama was raked over the coals because he was bringing Ebola into the US and George Bush got this wonderful response following Katrina.
giphy.gif
Hey Diz, you know what Harry said about the heat and kitchen? LOL

Agree on Obama and Bush, but I responded and showed how he was blamed for every single death.

So its splitting hairs to say he wasnt blamed for covid. As I said before, I could buy that if it weren't for him being blamed for every single death, as if he doing something different would mean there were zero deaths.

I don't know that it is wrong. He said it last year. Your article is from 2017.

Youd have to be a pretty naive person to think the birth rate discrepancy shifted from 1.4 to 7 in 3 years. But hey, I understand some people put more credence in political figure's speeches than actual data.

As for the article you claim exists, your comment about that was not birthrates, but population increases, which is vastly different.
Edit: my guess is he was speaking of population increase, and was therefore wrong, or you misheard him, and thought he was talking about births.

I'm inclined to believe he never actually said what you think he said.

Yes, I never blamed Trump for covid. But, the "results" from his actions or lack of them compared to the rest of the world.....yes.

Youd have to be a pretty naive person to think the birth rate discrepancy shifted from 1.4 to 7 in 3 years. But hey, I understand some people put more credence in political figure's speeches than actual data.

As for the article you claim exists, your comment about that was not birthrates, but population increases, which is vastly different.
You have to be pretty naive if you think all time frames are the same.

The article I cited exists just as much as yours. And if you read what I wrote, I said it was more than just birthrates. The bottom-line is the same: Texas demographics is rapidly changing to being more Hispanic whether you like it or not.

You have to be pretty naive if you think all time frames are the same.

The article I cited exists just as much as yours. And if you read what I wrote, I said it was more than just birthrates. The bottom-line is the same: Texas demographics is rapidly changing to being more Hispanic whether you like it or not.

I'm sure that first sentence made sense to you when you typed it.

I never contended the demographics weren't changing. I pointed out how your statement on birth rates was way off.

The article you mentioned might well include more factors than just birth rates. But that means it in no way supports your repeated statements about birth rates that you supposedly heard.

I'm sure that first sentence made sense to you when you typed it.

I never contended the demographics weren't changing. I pointed out how your statement on birth rates was way off.

The article you mentioned might well include more factors than just birth rates. But that means it in no way supports your repeated statements about birth rates that you supposedly heard.
Comprehension is not a strength, I see.

Whether it is due to birthrates or not, It does not change the bottom-line that Texas demographics is rapidly becoming more Hispanic, as the article I cited shows. If you have a disagreement with what Cornyn says, contact him.

To be fair, I took his comments a bit different.

What I took from his comments was that if Texas was even MORE reliant on green energy, the situation would’ve been much worse. Whether wind/solar is 10% or 25% of the energy output currently doesn’t matter, his correct point is they would’ve been worse off if they’d been more reliant on wind/solar.

They ran into issues because natural gas piping and infrastructure wasn’t winterized enough to withstand a freak storm. They ran into issues because at least one nuclear plant had to stop generating because switches froze.

Some of the issues are economically fixable, some aren’t. As usual, in politics, some just want to point fingers and try scoring cheap points.
Actually that wouldn’t be a correct point. The failures weren’t simply because they used wind/solar it was because they didn’t utilize winterization options just like at their natural gas locations that failed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT