ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question here about Texas and green energy

As long as the state of South Carolina owns Santee Cooper, we are the one state that can’t criticize Texas.
You criticize the executives and Scana for their crooked actions in the nuclear fiasco but SC grid does not have those problems. If we have an ice storm because of overhead lines, we would be in the same situation. You have to rebuild the overhead structure, wires and poles with blown transformers.

Whether it is due to birthrates or not, It does not change the bottom-line that Texas demographics is rapidly becoming more Hispanic, as the article I cited shows. If you have a disagreement with what Cornyn says, contact him.

Oh, its partially due to birthrates. That just isnt the ridiculous contributor you claim to have heard someone say.

And why would I contact Cornyn? I have zero reliable sources that he ever said what you claim.

Oh, its partially due to birthrates. That just isnt the ridiculous contributor you claim to have heard someone say.

And why would I contact Cornyn? I have zero reliable sources that he ever said what you claim.
Now that I'm back from making some profitable sells in the stock market, I'll respond. Look, sport, you can google Jon Cornyn and Hispanic birthrates in Texas and read for yourself that he has said it, rather than insinuating that I'm lying about it. Do it, if you are not lazy.

First off AOC is wrong - she is a huge proponent for green energy and so she will always color things about that in green energy's favor. But the truth is, even the TX state managers of the green energy they DO have - solar and wind - generally ratchet down those sources in the harshest winter times because they are most effective during the hot summer climes to help out with high energy consumption for air conditioners, etc. So while the GENERAL numbers of energy source from green energy in TX is around 10-13%, it drops down to as low as 7% during the winter time like right now. So it even has LESS of an impact on what happened in Texas right now....

So, thinking that everything "went bad when solar panels and wind turbines froze up" is just more false uneducated hillbilly followings of FAUX News, OAN, and Newsmax. Its a non-story, and of COURSE it is what they specialize in: False News. The main reason is due to natural gas shortages and natural gas systems freezing up.

It is amazing to me the poor, low level of intelligence so many citizens have in this country today, that they watch the TX Governor claim that it's due to green energy, then stated on the SAME INTERVIEW with Hannity that green energy only makes up 10% of the total energy supply for TX. And yet NO ONE even asks the follow up, "if green energy makes up 10%, then what THE HELL makes up the other 90%, and WHY THE HELL CANNOT 90% OF THE SUPPLY KEEP THE STATE FROM SHUTTING DOWN??????"

Or why no one even tries to ask, "IF 10% OF GREEN ENERGY SHUT DOWN THE STATE, AND NO ONE IN THE STATE OF TEXAS EVEN LIKES GREEN ENERGY BECAUSE TEXAS HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE OIL STATE AND THEREFORE THE #1 FOSSIL FUEL STATE, THEN WHY THE HELL ON EARTH WAS THE ENTIRE STATE ENERGY GRID SYSTEM BUILT ON THE BACK OF JUST 10% OF ANYTHING, AND WHY WAS IT BUILT ON THE BACK OF GREEN ENERGY WHICH THE STATE OF TEXAS HATES SO MUCH, TO BEGIN WITH??!!!?!!?!?"

If people had half the brain necessary to ask such simple questions, then they'd know that all the BS the Republican leaders in Texas were saying, was just that: bullshit. Of course, right after Abbott left the Hannity program, he admitted to local Texas news that OF COURSE green energy sources like solar and wind had NOTHING to do with the energy shutdown - it was natural gas, a fossil fuel source.

The bigger over-riding issue was the state energy leadership did not prepare for something that generally in the past didn't happen for decades, if not centuries. But if they weren't so busy trying so hard to laugh in the face of global warming and other natural climate patterns in recent decades, then perhaps they would have had the foresight to upgrade and improve their grid system to better deal with such an event: the days of 100-year flood, drought, and snowfall events happening only every 100 years is at an end these days.....
If you thought the Hannity interview with Abbott was bad you should have seen the interview last night with Cruz. Hannity excused Cruz’s trip to Cancun by saying that Abbott and Cruz both knew days before the storm hit that it was likely to be worse than originally projected. Of course they didn’t get into any preparation that they did based on this information but he did continue to blame the problem on the wind turbines and encouraging more natural gas while ignoring it was actually the failure of the natural gas systems that caused the problem.

In terms of Cruz he actually did not go along with all of these things. He simply promoted Texas as an energy exporter and said that the grid is completely controlled by the state and that they need to look into why processes weren’t in place to prevent this from happening since it was avoidable. Pretty much every time Hannity tried to get him to knock the wind turbines Cruz returned to that line and actually promoted that Texas is the largest producer of wind energy. It was almost flashes of pre-2015 Cruz.

I am more than surprised that those wind turbines were not properly winterized. We have them all over Maine and I am not aware of any significant number of them that are not working now.
Even Prop Planes have had de-icing on their props forever. I know that because I flew them in the Old Navy. Just a trickle of the Electricity they generate could be used to de-ice their blades.
What am I missing here?
EDIT: Just saw a blip just now on TV showing a Wind Farm Of these babies saying that Red China just bought land in Texas to put in a giant wind farm. Looks like we are subsidizing our enemies. Wonder if old HS Biden and his family have bought up all the rights?

Winterizing something in Texas makes about as much sense as winterizing something in South Carolina. Typically it doesn't get that cold so those areas don't prepare for the winter like that.

Now that I'm back from making some profitable sells in the stock market, I'll respond. Look, sport, you can google Jon Cornyn and Hispanic birthrates in Texas and read for yourself that he has said it, rather than insinuating that I'm lying about it. Do it, if you are not lazy.

Okay sport. I'm the lazy one because you cant be bothered to provide evidence of your claims.

As I said before, regardless if you misheard or misquoted, or he did, the statement is incorrect.

Okay sport. I'm the lazy one because you cant be bothered to provide evidence of your claims.

As I said before, regardless if you misheard or misquoted, or he did, the statement is incorrect.
Google it, sport. The evidence is there. You just refuse to see it.

Anyone that justifies Cruz going to Cancun during the time his state is imploding has serious issues. This is the equivalent to the SC sitting senators leaving the state after Hurricane Hugo hit...could you imagine the backlash?

Reactions: evantually
That's fine, sport. I believe we can agree that the Hispanic population growth is far outpacing the white population growth in Texas.

That we can agree on, sport. I just dont understand why you have to go one step further and repeat statements that you know are false. Especially when factual statements are there to support that argument.

But, to each his own.

Anyone that justifies Cruz going to Cancun during the time his state is imploding has serious issues. This is the equivalent to the SC sitting senators leaving the state after Hurricane Hugo hit...could you imagine the backlash?
And it looks like Cruz threw his kids under the bus to try to cover his rear end.
That we can agree on, sport. I just dont understand why you have to go one step further and repeat statements that you know are false. Especially when factual statements are there to support that argument.

But, to each his own.
All I can tell you, sport is that I heard Cornyn with my own ears. If he was wrong, that's one thing. And I did say that I was not sure he was accurate. I'm never sure that anything I hear is accurate. I'm never sure anything I read is accurate.

Wonder why.
America is changing demographically. By 2035, at the latest, 2040, the non-white population will be the majority here. I'm fine with that. And, I'm white. I have known a lot of good, decent non-whites in my lifetime. Most white people I know are fine with the changing demographics. I suspect that most here on this site are fine with it, too. As former Attorney General William Barr said when he was criticized about some of his actions he took as AG, "we all are going to die anyway".

All I can tell you, sport is that I heard Cornyn with my own ears. If he was wrong, that's one thing. And I did say that I was not sure he was accurate. I'm never sure that anything I hear is accurate. I'm never sure anything I read is accurate.

Well, sport. Now you do know the statement was inaccurate.

It's my sincere hope we can stop repeating it, causing a repeat of this conversation, again.

Well, sport. Now you do know the statement was inaccurate.

It's my sincere hope we can stop repeating it, causing a repeat of this conversation, again.
Sport, you can hope whatever you want. If Cornyn retracts, you will get your wish.

Winterizing something in Texas makes about as much sense as winterizing something in South Carolina. Typically it doesn't get that cold so those areas don't prepare for the winter like that.
In my time here at my place(1998) I’ve never had a frozen or busted water line because I took the time and about $5.00 to put foam insulation around my pipes coming out of the ground.Other people in my family had theirs frozen but not me.

In my time here at my place(1998) I’ve never had a frozen or busted water line because I took the time and about $5.00 to put foam insulation around my pipes coming out of the ground.Other people in my family had theirs frozen but not me.
Bingo. I do the same. Went to Lowes and the salesman said "You must be from the North". I said "No, but I'm not taking any chances".

But that isn't something that happens on the regular in either state. That's my point. When you prep for something like -20 degree weather, it's something that happens on a yearly basis. If it only snows once every 5 years, putting the money into "winterizing" something is a bad investment, imho.

About 6 years ago we had a stretch of days where it stayed at or below freezing for about 4 days. During that period we had 15 people in our neighborhood with exterior wall pipes break. The plumber said that SC didn’t have any extra regulations on insulation of water lines on exterior walls. It was the only problem we had in 20 years but it sucked to have something easily avoidable cause that much damage.

But that isn't something that happens on the regular in either state. That's my point. When you prep for something like -20 degree weather, it's something that happens on a yearly basis. If it only snows once every 5 years, putting the money into "winterizing" something is a bad investment, imho.
My guess is the cost of wintering (especially the insulating gas lines which was apparently recommended 10 years ago when this also happened) would have been much less than the PR they are getting now and the scrutiny that is sure to follow.

My guess is the cost of wintering (especially the insulating gas lines which was apparently recommended 10 years ago when this also happened) would have been much less than the PR they are getting now and the scrutiny that is sure to follow.

Agreed. But that is the benefit of hindsight. Even after 10 years ago, which wasnt as bad, you prioritize budgets, and this would not have been high on the lost.

Agreed. But that is the benefit of hindsight. Even after 10 years ago, which wasnt as bad, you prioritize budgets, and this would not have been high on the lost.
I feel confident some of these companies are going to have to answer where executive bonuses fell on the budget list as opposed to winterization efforts.

I feel confident some of these companies are going to have to answer where executive bonuses fell on the budget list as opposed to winterization efforts.

Agreed. I'm just putting out there that these guys think very differently than individuals who may prioritize this for their houses.

So as it turns out Flyin Ted’s story about being a good dad for his girls might not be true. Seems like Heidi was trying to recruit people for the big trip before they left and he was planning on staying through the weekend opposite of what his initial release indicated. It also turns out that the private school his kids attend wouldn’t allow them to return to school Monday following a quick trip out of the country because school was cancelled.

You’d think at this day and age people would be smart enough to know anything you send via text is going to get out.

So as it turns out Flyin Ted’s story about being a good dad for his girls might not be true. Seems like Heidi was trying to recruit people for the big trip before they left and he was planning on staying through the weekend opposite of what his initial release indicated. It also turns out that the private school his kids attend wouldn’t allow them to return to school Monday following a quick trip out of the country because school was cancelled.

You’d think at this day and age people would be smart enough to know anything you send via text is going to get out.
Shocked. I'm shocked.

99e11c75733ed1574cf37b36c250ff69.jpg

Ha. Sure, sport.

Usually, I only hear that from people "advanced in age", so i thought it was funny.
Attaboy. You are right about that. So, I take it as a compliment.

OK. I found a reference to Cornyn. It refers to a tweet from him. It does not show his entire tweet. So, it does not make reference to births. And it does not say 7 Hispanics to every white. Rather, it says 9 Hispanics to every white. I specifically and clearly remember hearing the number 7. But, whatever.

Here is the point: I did not make up John Cornyn addressing this issue, out of thin air. Nor, did I dream it.

Just google: "John Cornyn Frets That Texas Gains 9 Hispanics For Every White".

We are the laughing stock of the world. China is in full control of our government. Thankfully God is ultimately in control so I can relax and know what happens is his will and happens for reasons we are not entitled to understand. I really don’t know what people without faith do but I guess that’s what the left is for. Rage, hate and destruction. Sux for them. I guess I’d be mad too.
Congratulations!
One of the absolute best posts I’ve read in two days.

Attaboy. You are right about that. So, I take it as a compliment.

OK. I found a reference to Cornyn. It refers to a tweet from him. It does not show his entire tweet. So, it does not make reference to births. And it does not say 7 Hispanics to every white. Rather, it says 9 Hispanics to every white. I specifically and clearly remember hearing the number 7. But, whatever.

Here is the point: I did not make up John Cornyn addressing this issue, out of thin air. Nor, did I dream it.

Just google: "John Cornyn Frets That Texas Gains 9 Hispanics For Every White".

The thing that confuses me is I would also imagine that plenty of Texans identify as white and Hispanic, because Hispanic isn't a race. You can be white, black, or somewhere in between and be Hispanic.

The thing that confuses me is I would also imagine that plenty of Texans identify as white and Hispanic, because Hispanic isn't a race. You can be white, black, or somewhere in between and be Hispanic.
Some, including me, are trying to remember what exactly The Rock is, without looking him up.

Reactions: duckcock2.0.0
Did you miss the part where I mentioned the trickle and what can be done with it?

Probably for the same reason that the cables on the Ravenel Bridge weren't winterized to avoid freezing when we had the bad ice storms in 2012 or 2014, and ice was falling on cars. All the transplanted Yankees were saying we were stupid not to have done so when we built the bridge. However, why spend extra millions on something you may need once or twice every 60 years or more, and that probably wouldn't work when needed because of lack of use.
As usual, Batgirl nails it.

Having stated that, it still behooves local/state governments to have some sort of "Plan B" in place, not so much that Dallas can carry on "business as usual" with 20cm of snow on the ground, but at least enough so that people won't freeze, i.e., the public grid equivalent of a portable generator one might have in their home. Such a generator won't be powerful enough to provide electricity throughout one's home, but maybe enough to power the refrigerator/freezer, and lights in a room or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT