ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question here about Texas and green energy

The thing that confuses me is I would also imagine that plenty of Texans identify as white and Hispanic, because Hispanic isn't a race. You can be white, black, or somewhere in between and be Hispanic.

This is true. And when I looked up the stats, they posted numbers including Hispanics as white, and with them seperate. One site noted that over 80% identify as white.

Attaboy. You are right about that. So, I take it as a compliment.

OK. I found a reference to Cornyn. It refers to a tweet from him. It does not show his entire tweet. So, it does not make reference to births. And it does not say 7 Hispanics to every white. Rather, it says 9 Hispanics to every white. I specifically and clearly remember hearing the number 7. But, whatever.

Here is the point: I did not make up John Cornyn addressing this issue, out of thin air. Nor, did I dream it.

Just google: "John Cornyn Frets That Texas Gains 9 Hispanics For Every White".

I actually know exactly what he was talking about and how you were mistaken. I found it when looking up the population discrepancy. He didnt say anything about births, but tweeted a link with the title of the study that referenced an article about texas gaining 9 Hispanics for every 1 white.

That shift included things like the birth rate discrepancy (1.4) but that was a fraction of the difference.

So now you know why I was throwing out there that you might have misheard him? To be fair, he could have said births later, since you claimed to have heard it from him directly, and this references a tweet. But I wouldnt wager much on that.

But we can stop misquoting him now, right? Simply stating the original study gives the facts that back up the demographics change.

Here's a link that even includes the original article.

Last edited:
I actually know exactly what he was talking about and how you were mistaken. I found it when looking up the population discrepancy. He didnt say anything about births, but tweeted a link with the title of the study that referenced an article about texas gaining 9 Hispanics for every 1 white.

That shift included things like the birth rate discrepancy (1.4) but that was a fraction of the difference.

So now you know why I was throwing out there that you might have misheard him? To be fair, he could have said births later, since you claimed to have heard it from him directly, and this references a tweet. But I wouldnt wager much on that.

But we can stop misquoting him now, right? Simply stating the original study gives the facts that back up the demographics change.

Here's a link that even includes the original article.
I don't know how you missed that article when I suggested you do a google search earlier when you claimed you found nothing. Regardless I know what I heard. I was not mistaken as to what I heard Cornyn say in an interview, not directly to me. Now what I heard may have been different from what was meant, as I specifically heard the number 7 and births. I have absolutely no doubt about that. If I had heard 9 and no reference to births, I would have said 9 and left it at that. 7 and 9 do not even sound alike. Thus there may have been something lost in the translation.

In the final analysis, it makes no difference as it's obvious that Texas is changing demographically to the extent that Cornyn is or was concerned.

Last edited:
I don't know how you missed that article when I suggested you do a google search earlier when you claimed you found nothing. Regardless I know what I heard.

Ah, I see your mistake. I found zero evidence of him saying the 7 births comment. I strongly suspect he never said anything of the kind, but you never know.

So I'll offer up what I did before. That statement is incorrect. If he actually said, or if you just "misheard", it's still incorrect.

I gave you a nice link so you can reference the original material and not keep repeating a falsehood.

Ah, I see your mistake. I found zero evidence of him saying the 7 births comment. I strongly suspect he never said anything of the kind, but you never know.

So I'll offer up what I did before. That statement is incorrect. If he actually said, or if you just "misheard", it's still incorrect.

I gave you a nice link so you can reference the original material and not keep repeating a falsehood.
No mistake as to what I heard. I strongly suspect you never earlier did a google search. Again, it's all irrelevant in the big picture, as demographics are changing Texas, like it has Arizona and Georgia. In the end, that's all that matters. Does it not?

We are the laughing stock of the world. China is in full control of our government. Thankfully God is ultimately in control so I can relax and know what happens is his will and happens for reasons we are not entitled to understand. I really don’t know what people without faith do but I guess that’s what the left is for. Rage, hate and destruction. Sux for them. I guess I’d be mad too.
I can think of plenty of people who have rage and hatred in their hearts and yet claim to be followers of Christ. Go ask the people at the Capitol in January how many go to church every Sunday. This is more than left vs right or Christians vs non-Christians.

I can think of plenty of people who have rage and hatred in their hearts and yet claim to be followers of Christ. Go ask the people at the Capitol in January how many go to church every Sunday. This is more than left vs right or Christians vs non-Christians.
None of the people I go to church with were up there. That's a generalization but it is also accurate. Generalizations aren't always so reliable.

None of the people I go to church with were up there. That's a generalization but it is also accurate. Generalizations aren't always so reliable.
And I'm glad to hear that. I don't think generalizations are reliable either which is what I meant to get at in my response. cocks rule saying that "the left" is for rage, hate, and destruction is an unfair generalization that will only stoke flames and do more harm than good.

Now That’s funny......... because if you truly have Hate in your heart you aren’t a Christian my friend. Here’s a tip. Most Christians don’t have to tell you they are Christians. You can see it in the way they live their life. If someone is on the stump shouting how important their Catholic faith is you can probably deduct that’s not the truth at all. As far as all the violence in the past year I’m pretty sure none were Christians. That’s a pretty safe bet. And yes this is as simple as good vs evil. If everyone in America had Jesus as their Savior we wouldn’t have Republicans or Democrats running this great country of ours. We would all be United, one nation under God. Sound familiar?

No mistake as to what I heard. I strongly suspect you never earlier did a google search. Again, it's all irrelevant in the big picture, as demographics are changing Texas, like it has Arizona and Georgia. In the end, that's all that matters. Does it not?

I'm sure you heard that tweet real well.

But I can see how me being proven right leads you to think I didnt look it up. I guess I just accidentally made up the truth while you repeated the falsehood.

And yes, for the umpteenth time, the demographics are changing. Its just odd that you cling so hard to a falsehood if it's so irrelevant.

Now That’s funny......... because if you truly have Hate in your heart you aren’t a Christian my friend. Here’s a tip. Most Christians don’t have to tell you they are Christians. You can see it in the way they live their life. If someone is on the stump shouting how important their Catholic faith is you can probably deduct that’s not the truth at all. As far as all the violence in the past year I’m pretty sure none were Christians. That’s a pretty safe bet. And yes this is as simple as good vs evil. If everyone in America had Jesus as their Savior we wouldn’t have Republicans or Democrats running this great country of ours. We would all be United, one nation under God. Sound familiar?
I'm aware that those people aren't truly Christian. But they believe they are. As do their friends, their fellow church members, and their community. And these types of Christians do plenty to spread their own versions of hate and oppression. Also are you saying people are only good if they're Christian? Or believe in God? And you can't be "pretty sure" none of them were Christians because you don't know them. We'll never be one nation under God because of the freedom of religion we have and people being allowed to exercise whatever beliefs they have. Everyone believing in the same God won't bring this country together. But lumping people into the left or the right and lobbing out generalizations towards those who believe differently sure won't help either.

And I'm glad to hear that. I don't think generalizations are reliable either which is what I meant to get at in my response. cocks rule saying that "the left" is for rage, hate, and destruction is an unfair generalization that will only stoke flames and do more harm than good.
I'm biased, and I know it. But my bias causes me to be more circumspect and not less.

So I see where politically AOC is saying if Texas had invested in green energy, then none of the issues they are dealing with right now would have happened. All this is a reason for green new deal. So my question is, it seems everything went bad when solar panels and wind turbines froze up, literally. Are those not considered renewable sources of energy and therefore “green” energy? If so doesn’t that make her argument completely idiotic? Not trying to get a political issue going but correct me please if I am wrong about wind turbines and solar panels being green sources of energy. Maybe I am wrong there. I don’t truly follow that type of stuff all to closely.
The wind turbines froze bc they weren't prepared for the cold weather. If TX had winterized the equipment everything would still be working. There are several areas that are colder than Tx that don't have these issues. The real problem is Tx doesn't want to admit that regulations could have prevented this, as there would have been requirements to spend money on winterizing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzy01
I'm aware that those people aren't truly Christian. But they believe they are. As do their friends, their fellow church members, and their community. And these types of Christians do plenty to spread their own versions of hate and oppression. Also are you saying people are only good if they're Christian? Or believe in God? And you can't be "pretty sure" none of them were Christians because you don't know them. We'll never be one nation under God because of the freedom of religion we have and people being allowed to exercise whatever beliefs they have. Everyone believing in the same God won't bring this country together. But lumping people into the left or the right and lobbing out generalizations towards those who believe differently sure won't help either.
Well I’m sorry you feel that way but this country was built as One Nation Under God and that’s the only way it will survive. God is a peaceful and loving God in any religion. Anything else is a lie and the work of satan. Luckily For me I know God will take care of everything and for me to think any differently would show that I’m not a Christian. Knowing Jesus died on the cross for me and total faith is what it takes. It’s pure and it’s simple.

Well I’m sorry you feel that way but this country was built as One Nation Under God and that’s the only way it will survive. God is a peaceful and loving God in any religion. Anything else is a lie and the work of satan. Luckily For me I know God will take care of everything and for me to think any differently would show that I’m not a Christian. Knowing Jesus died on the cross for me and total faith is what it takes. It’s pure and it’s simple.
I hate to break it to you but God is not mentioned in the Constitution and "one nation under God" wasn't added to the pledge until the 1950's. Freedom of religion, however, is the very first amendment in the constitution. Meaning this country was founded on being able to practice whatever you believe.

I'm not here to doubt your faith at all. I'm simply telling you that there are plenty of proclaimed Christians who do plenty of hateful things supposedly in the name of God.

Just to be clear, the only reason AOC got involved in this discussion at all was because Rep. Governor Abbott said some idiotic BS about the green new deal being responsible for the blackouts. She waded in to point out that Texas still produces something like 80-90% of their energy from oil and natural gas, so what he said was simply a lie. IOW- it was the Republican gov of Texas who politicized it, not AOC. I am no staunch defender of or fan the woman, but nothing either of you said is even close to an accurate portrayal of causation for the blackouts nor is any of this an accurate portrayal of the political tussle arising from it.

This was her comment- clearly coming in response to Abbott who is the one who politicized it by making stuff up to denigrate renewable energy.

There is a clear time line and clear cause and effect in play here. The outages are caused by numerous reasons- antiquated infrastructure, inability to transport materials and crews due to iced roads and not enough of the proper equipment to clear the roads... and a thousand other factors we encounter in the South any time we have abnormally severe snow storms... It had absolutely nothing to do with a few frozen wind turbines. Texas produces more power than any state- typically supplies power to other states as they usually have a huge surplus and most of it is produced through fossil fuels. If they lost every wind turbine and solar array in the state at the same time there would not even be a brown out.
Gov Abbott had a completely different interview prior to this one on Fox where he doesn't mention the GND at all. I wonder why he is speaking out both side of his mouth.

Nah
My guess is the cost of wintering (especially the insulating gas lines which was apparently recommended 10 years ago when this also happened) would have been much less than the PR they are getting now and the scrutiny that is sure to follow.
The last comparable snowstorm Texas had was in 1929. PR is faulty imho... this won’t matter to 80% of the country in 4 weeks. Hell... 5 people died in an attempted coup, 2 of em cops, and crickets...

Reactions: 843tjsdad78
Might not have been her job but anyone who says the unemployment rate is low because people have more than one job clearly dosen't need to be in her position. For you that will clap back, I hope I don't have to explain how the unemployment rate works.
So she is the only politician to make a wrong/inaccurate statement? Do you hold everyone to this same standard?

Definitely not a good look, but don't know whole story.
We do, he planned to stay in Mexico and work via Zoom. The only came home when he was caught. He won't hold his donors responsible as that will suck up his campaign money when he runs for President in 2024. Cruz is everything that's wrong with politics.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I hate to break it to you but God is not mentioned in the Constitution and "one nation under God" wasn't added to the pledge until the 1950's. Freedom of religion, however, is the very first amendment in the constitution. Meaning this country was founded on being able to practice whatever you believe.

I'm not here to doubt your faith at all. I'm simply telling you that there are plenty of proclaimed Christians who do plenty of hateful things supposedly in the name of God.
But you don’t get it. False prophets will be many but you as a Christian can see the truth.

I am curious, please give me some examples of all of these proclaimed Christians doing hateful things in the name of God.

I'm sure you heard that tweet real well.

But I can see how me being proven right leads you to think I didnt look it up. I guess I just accidentally made up the truth while you repeated the falsehood.

And yes, for the umpteenth time, the demographics are changing. Its just odd that you cling so hard to a falsehood if it's so irrelevant.
Proven right? I heard what I heard. Misspeaking is on Cornyn's part. No, you didn't look it up or you would have said something. Only after I provided you the information did you say anything. I could have said nothing and it would have ended. You were under the impression that Cornyn never said anything on the topic. There's no falsehood that demographics are drastically changing in Texas. And that is anything but irrelevant. Here is what you fail to understand. It does not matter to me why the demographics in Texas are changing, only that it's changing.

Last edited:
I’m sitting at the red light not paying attention and looked over and saw gas was $2.45,I said good grief that didn’t take long to shoot up.The station next to it was $2.20,hopefully it’s still that in the morning when I get off.

Proven right? I heard what I heard. Misspeaking is on Cornyn's part. No, you didn't look it up or you would have said something. Only after I provided you the information did you say anything. I could have said nothing and it would have ended. You were under the impression that Cornyn never said anything on the topic. There's no falsehood that demographics are drastically changing in Texas. And that is anything but irrelevant. Here is what you fail to understand. It does not matter to me why the demographics in Texas are changing, only that it's changing.

Yeah, I think the first clue that I wasnt looking up anything was when I was quoting the birth rate ratio to a decimal point. That must have been because I'm a history buff on Texas birth rates.

I also didnt say he never said anything on the subject. I dont know where you get that when I repeatedly said that if he did, he was wrong, or that you misheard. Are you sure you're responding to the right posts?

And AGAIN I agree that demographics are changing, and never said that was irrelevant. You were the one that was saying his quote was irrelevant. I only asked why your willing to argue so hard for it when it's irrelevant and incorrect?

Is it simply because you want me to believe you really heard it? Because that's not going to happen without a link to some evidence. Because there is no trust in your word on my part.

I'm conservative but the ramifications of Cruz's trip may end up being catastrophic for Republicans. He barely won a close race over Beto. By the time he is up for re-election the demographics in once reliably red Texas are going to move towards blue. Californians are moving to Texas and bringing their politics with them at an alarming rate.
The loss of life in Texas is tragic. The political ramifications are going to be resoundingly bad as well. Double whammy.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I'm conservative but the ramifications of Cruz's trip may end up being catastrophic for Republicans. He barely won a close race over Beto. By the time he is up for re-election the demographics in once reliably red Texas are going to move towards blue. Californians are moving to Texas and bringing their politics with them at an alarming rate.
The loss of life in Texas is tragic. The political ramifications are going to be resoundingly bad as well. Double whammy.

Yeah, it's basically a gift to dems at this point. His biggest hope is short memories, but many media outlets are his political enemy, and will work to remind people.

Everything didn't go bad because wind turbines went bad - everything went bad when natural gas lines froze because they weren't properly winterized. Turbines kept up capacity better than the other methods of power. That and the fact that the Texas power grid is mostly within the state itself due to deregulation. They had nowhere else to turn for additional power.
wrong

Yeah, it's basically a gift to dems at this point. His biggest hope is short memories, but many media outlets are his political enemy, and will work to remind people.

The political ads will be devastating. I try not to write anyone off in politics but Cruz bent himself over IMO.

Nah

The last comparable snowstorm Texas had was in 1929. PR is faulty imho... this won’t matter to 80% of the country in 4 weeks. Hell... 5 people died in an attempted coup, 2 of em cops, and crickets...
The system froze in 2011 and it was recommended that they winterize at that time and they chose not to. I suspect the image of Cruz on the airplane will live on there for the next 4 years so it won’t be so easy to forget.

They'll move somewhere else after they destroy Texas. Yankees and people from California just move all over the country destroying everything in their path. They'll complain about how its not the same as back home and move again.

Yeah, I think the first clue that I wasnt looking up anything was when I was quoting the birth rate ratio to a decimal point. That must have been because I'm a history buff on Texas birth rates.

I also didnt say he never said anything on the subject. I dont know where you get that when I repeatedly said that if he did, he was wrong, or that you misheard. Are you sure you're responding to the right posts?

And AGAIN I agree that demographics are changing, and never said that was irrelevant. You were the one that was saying his quote was irrelevant. I only asked why your willing to argue so hard for it when it's irrelevant and incorrect?

Is it simply because you want me to believe you really heard it? Because that's not going to happen without a link to some evidence. Because there is no trust in your word on my part.
I'm pretty sure I told you to look up regarding Cornyn. You never responded regarding that. You said you saw nothing, which was not surprising to you. Your words, not mine. So, I just don't believe that you googled him after I asked you to because there were articles to read. Obviously, I don't trust you either. I don't believe I said anything about Cornyn making an irrelevant statement. This horse has been beaten to death. I'm glad with demographics changing all around us, that we now have a new President of the United States, Joe Biden. who refreshingly will at least attempt to unite people rather than divide people like the previous President. Go ahead and have the last word on the subject. I won't know what it is because I won't check back on this thread. There's a convenient four-letter word and, you're full of it. If they had an IGNORE feature here, I'd put you on it. So, I'll do the next best thing and not read any of your posts anywhere.

The system froze in 2011 and it was recommended that they winterize at that time and they chose not to. I suspect the image of Cruz on the airplane will live on there for the next 4 years so it won’t be so easy to forget.
The memes of Cruz in the airport pulling his bag are funny.they got him on Mars.

I'm pretty sure I told you to look up regarding Cornyn. You never responded regarding that. You said you saw nothing, which was not surprising to you.

So you say I never responded, then go on to discuss my response that I saw nothing about him and births? Par for the course from you on this one.

I don't believe I said anything about Cornyn making an irrelevant statement.

Your words from post #205:
"No mistake as to what I heard. I strongly suspect you never earlier did a google search. Again, it's all irrelevant in the big picture, as demographics are changing Texas, like it has Arizona and Georgia."

Sure seems like you said what you think you heard is irrelevant.

But, oh well. You made a cute speech about running away rather than a simple "oops, i was wrong". Seems overly stubborn.

Edit: oh yeah, there is an ignore feature, if you want to really hide from people correcting you.

Last edited:
But the parents of those 4 year-old Hispanics are. Texas is not alone in becoming more and more non-white, the whole country is. I don't know about the 2020 presidential election but, since 1988, the percentage of non-whites voting in presidential elections has gotten larger in each presidential election. By 2035, at the latest 2040, the non-white population in the United States will be a majority.
What’s wrong with that?

So I see where politically AOC is saying if Texas had invested in green energy, then none of the issues they are dealing with right now would have happened. All this is a reason for green new deal. So my question is, it seems everything went bad when solar panels and wind turbines froze up, literally. Are those not considered renewable sources of energy and therefore “green” energy? If so doesn’t that make her argument completely idiotic? Not trying to get a political issue going but correct me please if I am wrong about wind turbines and solar panels being green sources of energy. Maybe I am wrong there. I don’t truly follow that type of stuff all to closely.
Thats correct but even more Ironically the windmills require a petroleum solution to de-ice them and lubricate to prevent full braking. So a petroleum state didn't have the required quantities of petroleum solutions to guarantee use of windmills. I guess if they had a petroleum pipeline and nuclear power they would be warm and cozy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT