ADVERTISEMENT

How did Clemson become elite overnight?

They played Russian roulette, laundering money to recruits via New Spring Church, and they won.

Now they run a clean program, straight up rollin'
giphy.gif

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
This one is EASY. Clemson didn't become elite overnight. IMHO, Clemson was a very average team when Dabo took over. Most Clemson folks won't say that, but it's true. Being in the ACC got a couple of extra wins a year, but this was a 6-7 win football team in any other conference.

It took Dabo a couple of years to start building up, but the arrow has been pointed that way since the LSU bowl game.

Pretty much spot on.

Reactions: ecrumpton
Agree. I watched that game at a close friend's house. He's an LSU lifer. We thought the rout was on when Clemson fumbled on a big hit in the first series. I remember thinking when Clemson gutted out an impressive win, "that's a different Clemson team. That wasn't Clemsoning." That game was the springboard.

The other play that sticks out in my mind was in 2014, SC @ Clemson game. Early in the game one of our DBs dropped what would have been a pick 6 to put the Gamecocks up 14-0. If that pass hadn't been dropped would Clemson have crumbled under pressure of losing 5 in a row? We were in their heads.

Pretty much spot on.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405872616300570

In the United States, where national rankings by the USNWR dominate, some institutions manipulate statistics by maximizing admissions scores and refusal rates. Any shift from needs-based financial aid to merit-based aid influences the average scores of an entering class.48 In publicized accounts, a number of American universities—including Clemson, Claremont McKenna, Northeastern, Emory, George Washington, Bucknell, Baylor, and Tulane—admitted to revising class sizes, boosting academic salaries, or intentionally supplying incorrect information to USNWR to improve their positions in the rankings

How did UofSC get 2 5 Stars coming off a 4-8 season with a lame duck coach?

Pretty easy to answer... Burch is the only true five star so there aren't in fact 2 as you say. Lloyd is 7th best RB in class according to 247 so not a universal 5 star. He wanted playing time and SC is graduating a bunch of RBs. So not really difficult to see why he would go there without having to think he was paid.

Next is Burch who is a true 5 star. HE LIVES IN COLUMBIA! Go back and read my post. I said that Clemson got Sammy Watkins, CJ Spiller, etc from the backyard of other high profile schools like Florida, FSU, etc.

Thad Turnipseed. That’s exactly how.

He's a big part. They imported every single facet of Alabama's program.

Along with that, they started by signing elite skill guys. A lot of Florida guys "apparently" came due to connections between a now retired coach and some bagmen in the state of Florida. Apparently those connections continue even though he isn't actively coaching.

Get the skill guys in, it's easier to recruit a higher level QB. Get a higher level QB, it's easier to recruit higher level OL. Then follow the same formula on defense.

Then add in more bagmen, and New Spring. Remember when we got a lot of talent from the Rock Hill area? Remember taters crying because we had Rock Hill locked down? Nowadays they pretty much skim the cream from Rock Hill and keep going. Have we signed any big time RH guys in the last few years?

They've parlayed that success into the monster recruiting class they're getting this year. They've been VERY lucky avoiding injuries. They've been VERY lucky avoiding distractions. They've been VERY lucky avoiding having guys in trouble. Having the media and the Clemson police running cover for them certainly helps.

The whole Ostarine deal went away, they kept promising to investigate it, in truth they just kept biding time until other stories buried the interest.

The talent they have on offense lets them run up a lot of points, the defense is dominant, and the schedule is weak enough they get to play a lot of guys and rest starters saving them from wear and tear.

Basically the only thing that can slow them down in the short term is losing lots of coaches to other jobs (which is part of what's hurt Alabama), or a U of Miami-type implosion.

In the long term it's cyclical, eventually they'll slip for a bit.

I've asked this question on the UGA board but most folks over there don't really have an answer and you'd never get a good answer on the Clemp site so maybe I should ask some of you who live in South Carolina. That program while yes had been consistent became a juggernaut in 2015. The year before they went 10-3 but had blowout losses to UGA & GT and even in the years before that they would have nice records but blowout losses to you guys & usually FSU or someone. So my question is how did they turn it around so quickly? They've had the OC/DC for years. Elite players for years. Did they just sell there soul or something?

Didn’t happen overnight. Took 6-7 seasons embarrassing losses to WVU on a national stage division clinching wins followed by losses in the ACC champ game. The thing Clemson has done successfully is to build on every failure and learn from every mistake so that it doesn’t happen again.

The other thing Clemson had during that time period was endless motivation not to lose because every time it did, the pundits brought up the whole clemsoning thing. Even when other teams (I.e. Georgia almost every year had a dumb loss) were losing more spectacularly, Clemson was targeted. As a result they were more motivated during that time period not to lose a head scratcher and to play abov of their weight class all the time.

Clemson has great coaches good roster management, with excellent development of its three star players (like Isiah Simmons). The only other thing is that Clemson excelled with an offense that was ahead of the curve. During a time when everyone told them they couldn’t win a championship with the spread’em out HUNH. They proved people wrong. Now everyone (including LSU) has copies Clemson’s philosophy and has resorted to the spreadem out HUNH, pass first to set up the run offense. It was truly a novelty when Deshaun was coming along though.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiger-chuck
So after honestly giving Clemson their due, what’s the first thing Carolina needs to do to start closing the gap? Can’t be fire CWM. IMO;

1. Commit to a high octane offensive scheme - recruit those athletes right now.

South Carolina needs to look for inefficiencies in the sport and exploit them. At the time when Clemson was accelerating from just an above average program it happened to be offense the passing game and the WR position that was inefficient and somewhat archaeic. That is not the case any more. Clemson taught the whole world the back shoulder throw, which is now in every bodies playbook.

The future is going to be figuring out the inefficiencies on defense that are leading to teams (like LSU) scoring 60 points in a college football playoff game. The first team that can figure out how to neutralize these offenses will elevate itself above the pack for a short period. If that team can capitalize (with a national title) it can keep itself towards the forefront.

Reactions: GCDC1959
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT