ADVERTISEMENT

I don't know who half of the Braves players are, but i like em'

That was a great opening ceremony - brought back a lot of fond memories.

I'm liking this team also - blue collar and full of energy. It's refreshing to see us out the ball in play.

It's esrly yet, but I am excited by what I see...

They remind me of a college baseball team....they have a lot of fun while playing

Johnny Gomes is a great get, Andrelton said you get serious with Johnny in the club house "he's scary"!

What a play AS just made, the guys a walking highlight film!

The Braves will probably not be a playoff contender, but they will be much easier to watch than last year. Fans will like this team better, even if they lose more games.

Originally posted by crouterhead:
The Braves will probably not be a playoff contender, but they will be much easier to watch than last year. Fans will like this team better, even if they lose more games.
I don't get this statement. What leads you to believe they will be worse? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't know if I agree.
They were second worst in the league last year in runs scored. I think they will improve on that this year. Their defense is better. Their pitching could be the same. I don't see how we are necessarily going to be worse.

The only fair argument I see is that some of the other teams in the division have gotten better over the off season.

The Braves traded away a lot of talent over the off-season. They could be better this year, but they'd have to have guys perform past their expectations. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

This post was edited on 4/11 8:14 AM by crouterhead

Originally posted by crouterhead:
The Braves traded away a lot of talent over the off-season. They could be better this year, but they'd have to have guys perform past their expectations. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

This post was edited on 4/11 8:14 AM by crouterhead
They also traded away players with high dollar contracts who continued to underperform. Many of those talented players led the league in strike outs. The Braves the past few years lived and died by the long ball. In the post steroid era and with the dominance of pitching, small ball (abc baseball) is king. The Braves brought in veteran players who understand baseball and mixing in their youth. May not be many games with a ton of homeruns but the strikeouts will be vastly reduced. If you enjoy fundamentals this Braves will fun to watch. Similar to watching Royals and Rays during their World Series run.

I'm looking forward to watching this team all year, I can't stand all the strikeouts, and you can thank Wrenn for having to trade Kimbrell. these guys will play fundamental small ball and that's fine by me. My only real concern is youth in starting pitching, so far I'm very impressed with the Johnson/Grilli combo!

Don't get me wrong...I'm very in favor of the moves they made. I'm just being realistic about the expected results this year. They're shooting for 2017, reallly.

Crouter bet you haven't watched last four games. No next year in this bunch.

LOL...I've watched about 150 games a year the last 20 years, including the last 4. They are playing very well early on.

Not sure how many SS's have EVER been able to make that play, it's worth watching the Brave just to see what Andrelton will do next. Also, the spot where he made that leaping throw was right at the edge of the tarp where the rain had been ponding, no bother!

I'm a huge Braves fan and will admit I was skeptical about this year's team. So far, I'm pleasantly surprised. They aren't a great HR threat team, but do the small things right so far. Gritty and scrappy and grind it out and play hard with good pitching any way to get the W for me over glitz and glamour and look how far I can hit it and how fast I throw it. Maybe it won't last, but I'm enjoying watching this team over last year so far.

In the long run, I doubt they have the offense to win more than a few more/less than last year. That being said, they are SOOOOOOOOOO much less annoying than those showbirds striking out and playing mediocre defense from last year's team. Situational hitting was a foreign concept last season - swing hard at first pitch every time, miss if possible.

Takes 3 things to win in baseball

1) Pitching, throwing strikes
2) make routine plays both on defense and offense (bunting/hit & run)
3) team chemistry

In most cases this will lead to success. Braves might not be the best of the bunch and probably won't be a threat to make the playoffs but if they have these 3 components they will be much better than people think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT