ADVERTISEMENT

I don't understand the Spurrier bashing on here

Guys, this is not a flame, but with all due respect you guys who say you hate Spurrier need to let me know the next time you win 11 games in a season (much less 3 years in a row)

Again, this is not a flame. Before he came to Florida, our history was very similar to yours. If you look at the facilities, financial backing, national profile, wins and losses, etc pre-and post-Spurrier at both schools there is no comparison

If you recall, you had Rex Enright's name painted on your stadium wall as your "winningest coach" with a total of 64 wins. Problem is, he had 69 losses. The difference and expectation levels are night and day

At the end at Carolina, he was simply burned out and tired. Remember, no one has ever coached in the SEC at his age. Bear Bryant died at 69, but looked more like Spurrier's father than someone comparable in age. I think Spurrier's rather youthful looks make us forget his age.

I follow the Gamecocks almost as closely as I do the Gators. Spurrier and Muschamp have made me a Gamecock fan. I root for you guys 11 Saturdays a year.

Both Florida and South Carolina fans should be thankful for Spurrier's time on those campuses. At both places, he laid a foundation and did the "heavy lifting" to set the schools up for relevancy and success into the future.

First of all, thank you for pulling for the Gamecocks. While I understand how some of our fans are butthurt over the way things ended, I choose to remember all the "firsts" Spurrier brought Carolina. His impact went far beyond the football team. He completely changed the attitude and expectations of Carolina athletetics. He made Carolina cool. He inspired supporters to give, and gave funds to the university. When you compare the facilities pre-Spurrier to those post-Spurrier, there simply is no comparison. We have SOS to thank for that.

I know things did not end the way we all wish they would have, I'm not one to eat our own...and coach Spurrier is by far the best thing that ever happened to Carolina football.

Reactions: gamecockjosh
Spurrier did this: he showed us that we CAN be good - very good, and we can be CONSISTENTLY good. I wish some things, some important things, were done differently the last 2-3 years of his tenure, but, as he would say, 'It is what it is.'

Spurrier came in and wanted to win.....he did the things needed to win. He built the program up and those last two teams were as talented as anyone and should have done more with what they had. That is not the reason I despise the man however.

I despise him because he quit working...he quit well before he actually left. He knew what the outcome would be. IMO He simply tried to time his resignation to get out before it all came crashing down...he missed it.

Spurrier loves Spurrier....that is it. He came here did a job for awhile then stopped doing it. Some fans are so self hating they think that was fine for our lowly program. He could have continued on as bad as it was...they would have been down on the floor fighting to defend him. To the point..these fans are a big reason why the program has had such a sorry past.

They are the ones that saw no reason that Holtz not living in Columbia for most of his tenure running the program was a problem. They are the ones that defend Jr being giving more than a job running a popsicle stand. They are the ones that screamed that Horn and coaches of his ilk are the best we can hope for. The same ones that wanted Holbrook to be HC for life because he was..a nice guy.

Hey I wanted us to drag his wrinkly ass out at halftime.....I wanted to let the he fans show him what we thought of him. I guess somebody in charge of such things thought that this is exactly what would happen.

Guys, this is not a flame, but with all due respect you guys who say you hate Spurrier need to let me know the next time you win 11 games in a season (much less 3 years in a row)

Again, this is not a flame. Before he came to Florida, our history was very similar to yours. If you look at the facilities, financial backing, national profile, wins and losses, etc pre-and post-Spurrier at both schools there is no comparison

If you recall, you had Rex Enright's name painted on your stadium wall as your "winningest coach" with a total of 64 wins. Problem is, he had 69 losses. The difference and expectation levels are night and day

At the end at Carolina, he was simply burned out and tired. Remember, no one has ever coached in the SEC at his age. Bear Bryant died at 69, but looked more like Spurrier's father than someone comparable in age. I think Spurrier's rather youthful looks make us forget his age.

I follow the Gamecocks almost as closely as I do the Gators. Spurrier and Muschamp have made me a Gamecock fan. I root for you guys 11 Saturdays a year.

Both Florida and South Carolina fans should be thankful for Spurrier's time on those campuses. At both places, he laid a foundation and did the "heavy lifting" to set the schools up for relevancy and success into the future.
I think if you dig deeper you'll see that folks are thankful for what he did here. The problem most everyone has with him is the way he left. Old guy or not, he quit in the middle of the year, and before that, he exercised little oversight while his subordinates did not do their jobs - leading to an immediate decline in the program. He promised he wouldn't do that.

I'm sure if he left FL in the ditch - even after all those years of success - he wouldn't be as admired as he is there now. He left FL on a high note, and if he'd just quit USC after the 7-6 season, you wouldn't see the same disdain.

It's OK to be thankful and disappointed at the same time. Some folks do flame about Spurrier, but those haters gonna hate anyway.

Seems he would be more appreciative of South Carolina for giving him an opportunity to rebuild his coaching legacy after failing miserably in the NFL.

It is what it is....Thankful for the success he had here but wish he would show more appreciation for the opportunity the University provided to him and the employment to him and his sons.
Very interesting point.

No Gamecock fans hate Spurrier...We are disgusted that he quit working for our program 2 yrs before he resigned....We love what he did for our program in general...But he should have stepped away immediately after the Citrus Bowl win over Wisconsin...He simply did not work for us after that
all Gamecock fans do not hate Spurrier...only the loud ones... :)

Spurrier. Do you remember when we hired Lou Holtz? It was like, "I can't believe HE would come HERE". Poor guy, did his best, pulled us out of the Brad FSNot quagmire, but he was too old even then to take on something like that. Gave us some good years and GREAT victories. I was there for MSU and UGA in 2000, best two days I ever spent in WB. That Georgia game, Oh My GOD, what a rush, BAMBAM DEFENSE BAMBAM DEFENSE!. But, Lou's had enough, done what he could, time to go back to the usual ... Huh? Steve SPURRIER?? Are you kidding me? What could he possibly want to do this for? Maybe things have really changed. And they did. 11 wins three years in a row, the THUMB, ... but dang, at the height of the best that one of the best coaches in the game could do, we couldn't even legitimately challenge for the SEC, let alone the NC. Then he puts his kids in the pilot seats ... I have sons, I get it, I'd sell the world for them, but you got to make sure they get the job done. Instead, he grabs the only parachute, throws open the door, and jumps. I don't know, he did a lot to change things, got to be grateful, but he let it run out, let this happen to us. Ambivalent.

You pay a man $4,000,000.00 a year, you expect that his job will be his utmost priority. For Spurrier, the last few years, it wasn't. He even bragged on TV about not working hard and laughed at Saban.

Spurrier gets all the credit in the world from me for getting us to those 3 straight 11 win seasons and beating Clemson 5 years in a row.

He also gets all the credit in the world for torching what he built and leaving us for dead. Screw him for that bs.

You pay a man $4,000,000.00 a year, you expect that his job will be his utmost priority. For Spurrier, the last few years, it wasn't. He even bragged on TV about not working hard and laughed at Saban.

Spurrier gets all the credit in the world from me for getting us to those 3 straight 11 win seasons and beating Clemson 5 years in a row.

He also gets all the credit in the world for torching what he built and leaving us for dead. Screw him for that bs.
^ In a nutshell, this right here.

WTDnnwE.gif

Reactions: Titleist*
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT