ADVERTISEMENT

I hope I am wrong, but ...

Tanner is fine and so is our football staff. We don't need to be making immature desperate decisions right now. We need to let this staff recruit well like they are and have been and work it all out which I think they will.

I'm glad you feel that way. You have a right to your opinion. But it is not the opinion of many fans and more than a few experts and analysts.

But at the end of the day nothing will happen. We will win 4 or 5 games, fail to land top recruits like Jordan Burch and Desmond Evans and Reggie Grimes and lose a few who are already committed. Everyone will blame the season on losing our top QB (and what other injuries happen this year) and promise to do better next year. The argument will be to give him more time because this place was such a dumpster fire. (despite the fact that there are no players left from Spurrier's time here)

After 2 or 3 more years without more than 6 wins we might let him go, but not until then. Worst case (or best case depending on your philosophical bent) scenario is he wins 8 next year or in 2021 and gets another extension.

Tanner is fine and so is our football staff. We don't need to be making immature desperate decisions right now. We need to let this staff recruit well like they are and have been and work it all out which I think they will.
Assuming we go 6-6 this year, which is looking like a long shot at this point, is there any evidence to think this staff will "work it all out?"

Reactions: jsusc and Brace1
Assuming we go 6-6 this year, which is looking like a long shot at this point, is there any evidence to think this staff will "work it all out?"
I would think, at this point, 6-6 would be success. It was a very real possibility before the opener debacle.

giphy.gif

I'm glad you feel that way. You have a right to your opinion. But it is not the opinion of many fans and more than a few experts and analysts.

But at the end of the day nothing will happen. We will win 4 or 5 games, fail to land top recruits like Jordan Burch and Desmond Evans and Reggie Grimes and lose a few who are already committed. Everyone will blame the season on losing our top QB (and what other injuries happen this year) and promise to do better next year. The argument will be to give him more time because this place was such a dumpster fire. (despite the fact that there are no players left from Spurrier's time here)

After 2 or 3 more years without more than 6 wins we might let him go, but not until then. Worst case (or best case depending on your philosophical bent) scenario is he wins 8 next year or in 2021 and gets another extension.

Find it ironic that his best season here , his team especially his defense was anchored by Spurrier recruits . In 4 years a defensive guru and recruiting genius has one of the worst defenses in the SEC and is getting out recruited by Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Putting aside the first part of this post, we're currently behind Kentucky in recruiting. The recruiting genius of 'Flipper' is a comforting fiction of our fan base.

Outstanding job by all the coaches, so we should stay right where we are. We are suppose to be cellar dwellers and win 4-7 game a year. Our AD has improved all sports to championship levels. We will continue to make final 4s in Football and Basketball. We need to lock down all our coaches with lifetime contracts and we can continue to dominate all sports.
Hope our decision makers get smart and leave everything as it is now. We will have many coach of the year winners, not just Dawn. Bama will be embarrassed when they come to Columbia next week. I am going to buy my CFP and Final Four tickets this afternoon.

This is not immature desperate decisions. This has been going on for several years.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
If I were advising them I would advise that they fire Tanner. (Or move him to another position.) Then hire Danny Morrison to be the interim (or permanent if he wants it) AD and let him evaluate and make the call. Tanner created this problem and I don't trust him to solve it. I certainly don't trust him to hire another football coach.

We have a great resource in Morrison. Use it.

He fired his best friend and hand-picked successor as baseball coach. He will fire Muschamp if things continue to go south. Firings are not what concern me. Hirings are what concern me.

In 2012 we went from having a top notch AD (Hyman) and the nation's best college baseball coach to a rookie AD and a rookie baseball HC. It happened in the glow of three straight CWS championship series appearances (and 2 out of 3 championships). We all felt an emotional tug toward Tanner. He wanted to be an AD and he had earned it, the collective logic went. Time will tell if it was the right decision for our University. Right now, it's hard to feel optimistic.

Last edited:

Unbelievable, that you still find posters saying this. Three games in a row with losses to ACC teams, and two that were definitely less talented. The best product Muschamp could muster was on display Saturday and it did not look good. Muschamp had the look of "cluelessness" when UNC scored the go ahead score!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT