ADVERTISEMENT

" I look forward to reinventing our team" .... Coach Steve Spurrier

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
I read this comment in some article a few weeks ago. What do you think he meant by saying this?

That we played with little fire or "want to" this year and that guys had become apathetic and acting like they didn't care if we won or lost.

My first thought was bringing in the running quarterback style of offense to USC. I think Shaw was the first dual threat QB that he has ever recruited, and he saw the success he could have with that type of QB. He has now gone out and recruited two dual threat QB's. Then, we have this CO-Defensive Coordinator thing going on. I don't know how the hell this is going to work. Then again, maybe the old man is losing it.

I posted what I did because he's made a lot of comments lately about building more of a team mentality and playing faster and hitting harder. I just take this as the latest of these comments.

Originally posted by coastguardcock:

Then, we have this CO-Defensive Coordinator thing going on. I don't know how the hell this is going to work. Then again, maybe the old man is losing it.
The same way it did under Johnson / Ward. Don't get all caught up in the titles, they're mostly there for reasons unrelated to actual coaching, like salary. You may not believe this, but naming a guy a coordinator, position coach, etc. actually has zero effect on actual coaching. If so, we'd just hire the cheapest guy and call him the "defensive god".

After the abysmal performance on D this year, especially tackleing, I have a feeling SOS is going to make practices a little tougher. More live tackleing in drills and scrimmages.

Originally posted by garnet_reign:

Originally posted by coastguardcock:

Then, we have this CO-Defensive Coordinator thing going on. I don't know how the hell this is going to work. Then again, maybe the old man is losing it.
The same way it did under Johnson / Ward. Don't get all caught up in the titles, they're mostly there for reasons unrelated to actual coaching, like salary. You may not believe this, but naming a guy a coordinator, position coach, etc. actually has zero effect on actual coaching. If so, we'd just hire the cheapest guy and call him the "defensive god".
THIS ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Originally posted by wallycock:
I read this comment in some article a few weeks ago. What do you think he meant by saying this?
Most likely he meant he knew his team was soft and needed more contact drills etc. in practice. The guys who didn't care last year are gone or will be gone. Conditioning was a question this year and that will change too I believe. I see more old school practices coming.

He enjoyed pulling us from the ashes so much the first time, he intentionally let us go back in so he could re-live the glory.

I'm only kidding about the "intentionally let us go back" part. I do believe he loves the way we love football, and enjoys being the root of the success.

We sucked last year on defense. He wants us to not suck this year on defense.

I went to a couple practices and commented to the guy next to me about 2 players that were apathetic with every drill. One would cover passes but not runs. He would just run to the general area and wait for someone else to tackle the guy. He was a starter most of the year. I kept hoping that he would turn it on come game time. He didn't.

Imo our biggest problem was lack of DE's but I thought they tried, they just didn't have the size or speed. As frustrating as it was, I can still respect the effort.

One thing I noticed last year was the recruits didn't seem as hungry...they seemed to enjoy the hype, not the contact. I'm hoping they learned to get those guys out of here and bring in more "hood kids" who actually NEED to succeed at football to go somewhere...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT