ADVERTISEMENT

I thought they were going to move the second game of series around state

Charleston sits a top the rankings as one of the best cities in the world. It has great restaurants. Beaches. Greenville doesn't. All it has is loads of taters. There's no reason in God's green earth we should give them an extra home game.
Who in the hell would be going to the beach this time of year. I live here and parking traffic is terrible. It's a day trip I would think logistically and fan entertainment before and after game would favor Greenville

Greenville is the trendiest city in the state....its about 50-50 gamecocks/tigers.....

I know Charleston people are going to argue....but Charleston is a tourist town...

Greenville is BIG business, industry, high pay area....population wise, I would say the Greenville/Spartanburg metro is largest in the state now....that's why you play games in Greenville
North Charleston alone dwarfs the retail industry of Greenville/Spartanburg and add to the fact there are way more major companies moving to the Lowcountry part of the state than the upstate. Greenville is beautiful but there's way more going on around Charleston.

Metro is those three plus Pickens, Laurens and for some stupid reason Oconee. Greenville alone is now over 500k.
Chas metro includes multiple counties as does Columbia. But I agree it doesn't matter. I like Charlotte as the neutral. Gives SC about a 30 mile advantage. Winthrop's stadium is too small but both of us would like exposure there. I guess the argument against Chas is the 4 hour bus ride vs just 1.5 for SC to Greenville.
Personally I prefer just playing all three the same place each year : on the campuses.
Greenville MSA includes 9 counties, Charleston MSA includes 3.

But we have more meth labs.
post_zps28ec3be1.gif~original

Reactions: KeoweeTiger09
Pretty sure that's on Ray Tanner when he was coach. His intent was to travel around for the third game but kinda out of the blue decided he'd rather lock in at Greenville. Seems like he was just happy with the facilities, but I don't really recall if that was his reason or not. As a resident of the Lowcountry, I was disappointed to say the least. Still think it was the wrong to reverse the decision before giving it a chance.
It's not about the size of the host city. It's not exclusively about the highest bidder. It's about which city/venue puts on the best fan and team experience. Apparently, Greenville has done a better job than Charleston. I don't think that distance plays into it much.

I can't see the neutral site game being played out of state, which eliminates Charlotte and Augusta from consideration. I would think Winthrop's park is too small; besides, I can't see Winthrop agreeing to such a deal. Knight's Stadium is gone, along with the metrolina area as host.

If the ballpark in North Augusta gets built, then we'll likely have a viable option. Since Spirit Communications Park was built because USC did not want to share a facility (with good reasons on USC's part), would they still be interested in hosting the neutral site game?

I like that. Winthrop might hold 4 k sro unless they've expanded, though. And in Myrtle beach years I would play two there. Or at least only do MB and Chas in years with Friday Clemson games. Otherwise it gets stupid for both teams.

You could do Chas or MB with Sunday Clemron games too. Just start on the coast, Sat in the Midlands, & Sun upstate.

Ive been the past 3 years and the attendance is 50/50 and a sell out. Great venue, hard to beat downtown Greenville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT