ADVERTISEMENT

If Texas & OU join, would not be suprised to see TX A&M & Mizzou to the ACC...

TN-Gamecock

May 10, 2002
Erwin, TN/Originally from Greer
If Texas and OU join, do you think it's possible for A&M and Mizzou move over to the ACC.

I am not a fan of Texas joining the SEC. Our loyalties should be with A&M since they came over wanting to be the only school in the SEC from Texas. Where ever Texas goes/has been, there's always been problems (just ask the aggie fans).

IMO I still think the better move is to try to convince NCSU and VT to come over to the SEC.

I know the minority here wants us to go back into the ACC. I am for that too. But UNC is much like Texas (in the BIG12) , they've taken over and controlled the ACC. I think, I'd rather see Texas in the ACC so they can bitch slap UNC around.

Course the ACC is so watered down with the private schools that aren't very good in football, that adding a Texas or Oklahoma would automatically mean, Clemson would not big the big cheese in football anymore...too bad for Dabo if this happens.

Best case in my judgement would be to tell Texas and OU no...if not A&M and Mizzou to the ACC...which might have the ACC calling us, UGA or UF...who knows?

Reactions: vehemon
With A&M being a southern school, geography would get in the way...

Hopefully the conference will be loyal to A&M...I would hate to lose them over Texas.
Generally I would agree about the geography, but I think on this go-round that may be out the window.

If Texas and OU join, do you think it's possible for A&M and Mizzou move over to the ACC.

I am not a fan of Texas joining the SEC. Our loyalties should be with A&M since they came over wanting to be the only school in the SEC from Texas. Where ever Texas goes/has been, there's always been problems (just ask the aggie fans).

IMO I still think the better move is to try to convince NCSU and VT to come over to the SEC.

I know the minority here wants us to go back into the ACC. I am for that too. But UNC is much like Texas (in the BIG12) , they've taken over and controlled the ACC. I think, I'd rather see Texas in the ACC so they can bitch slap UNC around.

Course the ACC is so watered down with the private schools that aren't very good in football, that adding a Texas or Oklahoma would automatically mean, Clemson would not big the big cheese in football anymore...too bad for Dabo if this happens.

Best case in my judgement would be to tell Texas and OU no...if not A&M and Mizzou to the ACC...which might have the ACC calling us, UGA or UF...who knows?
aTm left the Big XII for the same reason that Mizzou, Nebraska, and Colorado left: they resented the bully in Austin. It had almost nothing to do with being the only SEC member in Texas. A very telling result is that there's a Longhorn Network and not a Big XII Network.

14 Members of the SEC is too many at that. If the league went to 16, you might as well create 2 8-school conferences.

The bully in Austin is worse that the bully in Chapel Hell. I get the sense that the Holes treat the rest of the ACC better than the Horns do the rest of the Big XII

IMO, NCSU & VPI are not leaving the ACC. If for no other reason, who's going to pay the exit fee?

Last edited:
aTm left the Big XII for the same reason that Mizzou, Nebraska, and Colorado left: they resented the bully in Austin. A very telling result is that there's a Longhorn Network and not a Big XII Network.

14 Members of the SEC is too many at that. If the league went to 16, you might as well create 2 8-school conferences.

The bully in Austin is worse that the bully in Chapel Hell. I get the sense that the Holes treat the rest of the ACC better than the Horns do the rest of the Big XII

IMO, NCSU & VPI are not leaving the ACC. If for no other reason, who's going to pay the exit fee?
This is why NCSU won't leave: "North Carolina State University is a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina (UNC) system. According to The UNC Code, NC State shall have a board of trustees composed of thirteen persons: eight are elected by the UNC Board of Governors; four are appointed by the General Assembly, two upon the recommendation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate and two upon the recommendation of the Speaker of the House of Representatives; and the president of the student body serves an ex-officio member."

VPI wouldn't leave due to the political capital the State of Virginia used to get them into the ACC when the Big East was collapsing.

This is why NCSU won't leave: "North Carolina State University is a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina (UNC) system. According to The UNC Code, NC State shall have a board of trustees composed of thirteen persons: eight are elected by the UNC Board of Governors; four are appointed by the General Assembly, two upon the recommendation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate and two upon the recommendation of the Speaker of the House of Representatives; and the president of the student body serves an ex-officio member."

VPI wouldn't leave due to the political capital the State of Virginia used to get them into the ACC when the Big East was collapsing.
That's correct. No school in that system is autonomous.

Reactions: rogue cock
aTm left the Big XII for the same reason that Mizzou, Nebraska, and Colorado left: they resented the bully in Austin. A very telling result is that there's a Longhorn Network and not a Big XII Network.

And, they have to forfeit all Primary and Secondary TV rights as well. The financial aspect would be too much to bear. The talk of an ACC school leaving for anywhere just seems like a lot of message board talk.

And, they have to forfeit all Primary and Secondary TV rights as well. The financial aspect would be too much to bear. The talk of an ACC school leaving for anywhere just seems like a lot of message board talk.
This and the entrenchment of the B1G universities makes me wonder what in the heck is the SEC's end-game.

It is estimated that Texas and OU to the SEC will raise SEC payouts from $55 million/team to $75-$80 million/team. Does anyone seriously believe any current SEC school would leave? Less attractive marriages survive for a lot less. No school, NONE, are leaving the SEC unless they have morons running the school.

I've been scanning media outlets in Missouri and I find no indication that Mizzou is contemplating a move to another league. You don't sell a stock that's getting ready to rise in value. Mizzou appears good to stay.

It is estimated that Texas and OU to the SEC will raise SEC payouts from $55 million/team to $75-$80 million/team. Does anyone seriously believe any current SEC school would leave? Less attractive marriages survive for a lot less. No school, NONE, are leaving the SEC unless they have morons running the school.
Look at the BTAA funds.

And that's $75-$80 million per school, not per team.

And as much as I pine for our return to the ACC as the membership stood prior to Georgia Tech's joining the league, that league no longer exists, and it's just me fantasizing, although I would (as I've stated many times before) like to see us schedule as many of the other 7 league members at the time of our departure in as many sports as we can.

We had morons in charge in 1971 when we left the ACC. Fortunately, we have no such morons 50 years later.

And as much as I pine for our return to the ACC as the membership stood prior to Georgia Tech's joining the league, that league no longer exists, and it's just me fantasizing, although I would (as I've stated many times before) like to see us schedule as many of the other 7 league members at the time of our departure in as many sports as we can.

We had morons in charge in 1971 when we left the ACC. Fortunately, we have no such morons 50 years later.
McMaster

Reactions: usc1855

That's correct. No school in that system is autonomous.
FWIW, East Carolina and Appalachian State are UNC System members as well.

And it's a double whammy why neither NCSU nor VPI are leaving the ACC:
  • The financial aspects which I mentioned and Harvard Gamecock elaborated upon (thanks, Harvard 👍).
  • The political situations which Rogue Cock mentioned (thanks, Rogue 👍).
As I can fantasize about USC returning to the 8-member ACC which existed from December 1953 (when UVA joined) until July 1971 (when we left), many other posters can fantasize about current ACC members leaving the league.

Different kind of Moron.

That's why I stated "Fortunately, we have no such morons 50 years later." in my previous post.

per "school" was what I meant. The numbers are accurately quoted.

Reactions: atl-cock
I don't think geography plays much of a role these days. Its a long flight from Miami to Syracuse and Boston.
Sadly, true.

Traditionally, an athletic conference meant an organization of "like-minded schools" in geographic proximity who compete with each other for a championship.

And this lack of geographic proximity extends to mid-major and FCS conferences as well. From what I can see, not so much in NCAA D-II, D-III, and the NAIA.

Reactions: Carolina Doc
Except that aTm left the Big XII in large part to get out from under Austin's thumb.

We did not leave the ACC because Clemron was a bully.
A&M moved up when they left Big 12 for SEC. There is no where higher to go now. They won’t leave. And Texas won’t run SEC like they have Big 12.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
I don't think geography plays much of a role these days. Its a long flight from Miami to Syracuse and Boston.
I've been on a lot of road trips. I've only flown to one of them. I know that the TV aspect has primacy but having to fly to road games prevents many people from going. To me, a great road trip will always be a bunch of friends in a 15-passenger van, the back seat removed to accommodate more luggage, a great time traveling to the game site, eating at the most highly recommended local places the night before the game and tailgating at the stadium before the game. Then breakfast and back home early on Sunday morning. That's just the way I like it and did it for years.

Last edited:
I've been on a lot of road trips. I've only flown to one of them. I know that the TV aspect has primacy but having to fly to road games prevents many people from going. To me, a great road trip will always be a bunch of friends in a 15-passenger van, the back seat removed to accommodate more luggage, a great time traveling to the game site, eating at the most highly recommended local places the night before the game and tailgating at the stadium before the game. Then breakfast and back home early on Sunday morning. That's just the way I like it and did it for years.
And that can work well when the furthest you have to travel for a conference road game is College Park, MD.

And that can work well when the furthest you have to travel for a conference road game is College Park, MD.
I think the farthest I've done this is Tuscaloosa. But some of my party have gone farther. There have been a few Thursday departures when it worked better.

I think the farthest I've done this is Tuscaloosa. But some of my party have gone farther. There have been a few Thursday departures when it worked better.
Tuscaloosa is about 3.5 actual driving hours (not counting the time zone change) from Atlanta. Double the driving time from Columbia, and I guess add another 75 minutes each way from Lancaster.

The SEC was pretty spread out even before USC & Arky joined (think Lexington to either Gainesville or Baton Rouge).

Reactions: Henry322
You hit a home run, it's all about viewers and money, big time money and why would anyone want to leave and make half as much in the ACC, no buyout in the SEC because no one is leaving.

So the 14 SEC teams are worth $770 Million (this includes Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, etc.) but with Texas and Oklahoma we are worth nearly $1.3 Billion? How are two teams worth 3/4s of the entire current SEC? The SEC has won 11 National Championships since the last time either Oklahoma or Texas last won one.

Reactions: tngamecock#
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT