ADVERTISEMENT

If you have Disney Plus, then you need to watch Safety

I watched it . Very corny and a virtual 2 hour PR clip for the Taters . Either way I have nothing but respect for Ray Ray . I’m sure there was a lot of embellishment involved in the movie but I’ve seen other interviews with him and the kid is a very special dude . Nothing but love for him and his little brother .

He graduated from Clemson and received a masters from Howard.

Thanks I reserached, I was talking about the part where he had 2 years of elgibility left and was cut by Clemson and played one season at Mars Hill, I was talking about that part of his story. Maybe its in the movie?, I have not seen it.

The Ray Ray McElrathbey story is a special one. The Clemson reserve tailback gained national fame for taking custody of his 11-year-old brother Fahmarr in 2006, then received a rare waiver from the NCAA that allowed him to get assistance from the university and the public in taking care of his younger brother and still maintain his football eligibility.
Now the truth. Tiger tailback James Davis says McElrathbey didn't have a say in the matter. The coaching staff decided not to renew McElrathbey’s scholarship for the 2008-09 season.
“He said something about how they weren’t going to renew his scholarship,” said Davis, who has known McElrathbey since their high school days in Atlanta. “It really surprised me. But there’s a lot of stuff you can’t say. It’s something I guess everybody has to learn to live with.”

Mars Hill

Ray Ray McElrathbey (Atlanta, Ga.) had a big day for the Lions defensively and on special teams. Ray Ray picked off an interception that halted an almost certain Newberry score and then returned a punt 53 yards for a touchdown that gave MHC a 35-24 lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: cfbfan15
Thanks I reserached, I was talking about the part where he was cut by Clemson and played his senior season at Mars Hill, I was talking about that part of his story.

Mars Hill

Ray Ray McElrathbey (Atlanta, Ga.) had a big day for the Lions defensively and on special teams. Ray Ray picked off an interception that halted an almost certain Newberry score and then returned a punt 53 yards for a touchdown that gave MHC a 35-24 lead.
Interesting to know. Didn’t know that part of the story.

Reactions: Gradstudent
His scholarship was pulled before his eligibility expired.

From my recollection, he graduated and was offered a grad assistant job coaching, and chose to continue playing at another school.

So it's one of those where detractors can say he had his schollie pulled, and proponents can say it was handled splendidly.

Last edited:
Reactions: LazyIslander
From my recollection, he graduated and was offered a grad assistant job coaching, and chose to continue playing at another school.

So it's one of those where detractors can say he had his schollie pulled, and proponents can say it was handled splendidly.
Yeah there's multiple sides to the story.
He graduated. He wanted to continue to play football, but would have been buried on the depth chart. He was offered a grad assisstant role which would allow him to enter the coaching world. He chose otherwise.

I found this movie by accident and watched it. As a Carolina fan it’s unpleasant seeing all the Clemson paraphernalia throughout the movie. But if you can get past all the Orange and Purple it’s alright.

It’s not epic like “Friday Night Lights”, or “Varsity Blues” or “The Blindside” or even “Little Giants”. But if you already have Disney+ go ahead and check it out. On a scale of 1 to 10 I rate it a 4.5.

Last edited:

Handled splendidly? Guess that’s why former players won’t comment on the scholarship being pulled

Reactions: B.Springs Cock
77% on Rotten Tomatoes, so at least everyone isn’t all in.
If there was a Rotten Tigers, it would be 101%....unborn babies are all in.

Last edited:
Walked in the bedroom and the wife was watching it. After asking her several questions about why I watched about 15 min of it.
Tiger paws and orange everywhere.
If it were a movie about the Gamecocks the dude would be wearing a green t shirt.
What sucks is youngsters around the country are being shown a story that’s embellished. And should a few of them be talented enough to be recruited that paw will carry weight.
Like they need more help.

I watched it . Very corny and a virtual 2 hour PR clip for the Taters . Either way I have nothing but respect for Ray Ray . I’m sure there was a lot of embellishment involved in the movie but I’ve seen other interviews with him and the kid is a very special dude . Nothing but love for him and his little brother .
Agree. Disney sports movies are always overly corny and hard to watch. It's a great story in real life, however, regardless of where he played.

Yeah there's multiple sides to the story.
He graduated. He wanted to continue to play football, but would have been buried on the depth chart. He was offered a grad assisstant role which would allow him to enter the coaching world. He chose otherwise.
Dabo’s huge ears probably scared him off

Pass on watching the tater Disney flick
Never heard of her ;) , hence my comment,
Pass on what, I have no intention of recognition and Disney is what gave us Brittany Spears & Christina Agularia courtesy of the Mickey Mouse Club, so they reached their pinnacle of contributions to society long ago .
(* I did not spell check the ladies names)

Reactions: redrogers
The movie told a great story, but it's not a great movie. The cool thing was the filming at an actual football game. They asked all the fans at the game to stay in their seats at half time to help create a realistic game day experience. Almost all the fans stayed and it was fun to watch the way they filmed it. I enjoyed being there and I enjoyed watching the movie, but they missed a few things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT