ADVERTISEMENT

Is this a sign of age?

colacock#

Nov 19, 1998
When I was a kid...waiting on football season was like waiting on Christmas morning. I literally couldn't sleep some nights during the summer because I couldn't wait for football. But football starts tomorrow for us, and it's just not the same...which makes me a little sad. I still have season tickets and still enjoy it, but the excitement is just not there. And it's not because we were 6-7 last year. There were plenty of 6 or less win seasons when I was younger, but every summer was the same...I couldn't wait for football season. I would buy every preseason magazine, and read every article. Even the ones about teams I didn't care about. Now I haven't bought one of those magazines in years. And this year football almost slipped up on me. I can't believe it starts tomorrow. So for those of us over 40...do any of y'all feel that way? Is it just inevitable with getting older? Hell...maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm incapable of getting excited about things anymore.

Go Cocks!

Reactions: NYC_Gamecock
Maybe it's maturity, maybe perspective. It also doesn't help knowing every broadcast will mention the taters.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
"I think that you will find that most of your passions leave you."

This is what I was hoping was NOT happening...but fear it may be true.

I'm 63 and I understand your thoughts and have done many of the things you describe. After our three 11-1 seasons, we were preseason ranked # 6. Every expert in the country felt we had a shot at the SEC title and maybe more. And then Texas A&M came to town and proved all the experts WRONG.
So now I know the experts know less than anyone else. I don't listen and don't care what they think. The game is played on the field. And I still get excited on Saturday gameday and can't wait until tomorrow.

Also, about 5 years ago, I gave up my season tickets because it dominated my fall schedule and felt more like work than fun. I now get mini-packets and enjoy it immensely. 3 games is not like work.....it's fun. And all the games are on TV anyway.

Go COCKS!!! Beat State.

When I was a kid...waiting on football season was like waiting on Christmas morning. I literally couldn't sleep some nights during the summer because I couldn't wait for football. But football starts tomorrow for us, and it's just not the same...which makes me a little sad. I still have season tickets and still enjoy it, but the excitement is just not there. And it's not because we were 6-7 last year. There were plenty of 6 or less win seasons when I was younger, but every summer was the same...I couldn't wait for football season. I would buy every preseason magazine, and read every article. Even the ones about teams I didn't care about. Now I haven't bought one of those magazines in years. And this year football almost slipped up on me. I can't believe it starts tomorrow. So for those of us over 40...do any of y'all feel that way? Is it just inevitable with getting older? Hell...maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm incapable of getting excited about things anymore.

Go Cocks!

I absolutely feel the same way. A lot of what you say I agree with. However, I feel let down by the athletic department's mismanagement of the football program in recent years all the while we descend our neighbors win championships. Dampens everything on top of being jaded by age. If we had high expectations I think your attitude would be different as would mine but it has been a perfect crap storm for years. Getting letdown on top other meaningful things in life being forefront is happening to me at 43.

Reactions: 92Pony
"I think that you will find that most of your passions leave you."

This is what I was hoping was NOT happening...but fear it may be true.

It used to be that I could have a great time in a grocery store. The only way that could happen now is to be stoned out of my mind. I think..for me anyway...I had to see that I was not a kid anymore and embrace the good things about it....not just lament the bad. Getting older is not all bad...hopefully a little wisdom comes with it.

Geez, depressing stuff lol. "Most of your passions leave you". I agree to an extent. Hate to think in those terms.

Reactions: vehemon
I'm 53. I still love it. Perhaps not with the excitement I had back in the 80's, but I'll be cheering and screaming. As I age I feel myself a little less tied to the things of this world...and a bit more pulled toward the next. I still hope to do a lot and love my children (and grandchildren should they come). But I'm also excited about seeing my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! Going to be far better than the thrill of hearing 2001 being played at WB.

"Getting older is not all bad"

This is definitely true. I was mostly thinking about football and how it makes me sad that I don't get excited about it like I used to. There are plenty of things I like about being older. Hell, I've got more money than I've ever had (which is normally true for most people as they get older), which leads to more freedom and opportunity. I travel a lot more because of that. But...sure would be nice to get excited about football again.

I went to South Florida last month for my birthday with a group of people. Right before I left, one of my friends asked me if I was excited about the trip. I thought for a moment...and realized that I don't really get excited about anything anymore.

God...this DID get to be a depressing thread. LOL

I use to be the same way. I couldnt sleep so excited about the game. I lost that feeling and it never came back sometime during Brad Scotts coaching years.

I'm 53. I still love it. Perhaps not with the excitement I had back in the 80's, but I'll be cheering and screaming. As I age I feel myself a little less tied to the things of this world...and a bit more pulled toward the next. I still hope to do a lot and love my children (and grandchildren should they come). But I'm also excited about seeing my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! Going to be far better than the thrill of hearing 2001 being played at WB.

Youre only 53 but you sound like youre about to go lol

Reactions: ddw1263

Go Cocks!
by the time the 1st home games rolls around u'll be fired up like a cheech & chong joint, besides those coeds n black boots ought 2 snap u out of it:)

I love Gamecock football and believe me, I want them to be just as successful as anyone on this board. We don't have season tickets this year for the first time since the 80's . . . we just couldn't do it again. We've seen a lot over the years and barring those three, wonderful 11-win seasons, most years have ended up in average or below average results. I sometimes wonder if we'll ever become a perennial contender in the SEC east. One of the last statements my father-in-law said 20 years ago before he passed away was "yeah but just wait until next year". He said he was hearing that back in the 1940's and 1950's. FWIW. Go Gamecocks! :)

I'll soon be 60 and still begin counting down days 100 days out. I Love, Love , Love, Gamecock sports.....period!
I will admit that over the years, I have lost some passions in favor of others. One example of this is MLB. I was once obsessed with it but now I have allowed something to replace that passion (fishing). Another passion that has waned significantly is for sex. Nowadays, I'd just as soon have a bowl of ice cream.

Youre only 53 but you sound like youre about to go lol
Maybe you should try reading my post again. I love life. But I'm also excited about the one to come. Never said I was tired and wanted to check out.

Reactions: 92Pony
Funny thread. I used to love sports....I mean I lived it. I was a coaches son...I was a lot like Jake Bentley..in so being a gym rat kid of kid....just loved it. As the years have gone by...I lost pretty much all interest in it...except for one last thing. I love Gamecock sports...and I still do get excited about that. I must admit...I am a little excited this year as compared to most.

Life moves on...you find other passions....but it is nice to hold a little bit of that kid in your back pocket. I am excited about this year...I think it is going to be a fun one.

Its all about perspective.. I'm 40,,, and there were two things in my younger days that i ate, slept, and breathed,,,, Carolina football and hunting.. Now
I still love both,, but my main concerns in the last 10 years or so have become God and family.. Priorities change throughout the years, thats all.

Reactions: myrtlecock
I think where the rough part is...at least for me, like Christmas, I will always associate football with being a kid. It's changed.

"Another passion that has waned significantly is for sex."

Dang...I've lost my passion for football season, and now I have THAT to look forward to??? Ugh!!!

Go Cocks!
I'm just south of 40, and I feel the same way. Perhaps it's all the hype we got for years. Perhaps it's the prevalence of national media over local media. The hype for this SC team hasn't been there like it was when Spurrier was the coach, and that has dampened our hype a little. I don't live in SC anymore, so if it isn't UVA or VT, I don't see much about it except on the four-letter network. And I honestly couldn't care less about either UVA or VT. But I feel your lack of enthusiasm. Hopefully it will pick up if we start 3-0 or 4-0. :D

Reactions: E-Cut_22
Same feelings here. My passion for the things that interested me when I was a teenager and young adult has certainly waned since I turned 40. Forms of entertainment such as music, movies, and comic books just don't offer me the same level of excitement they once did. Was once a huge fan of NCAA and NBA Basketball but nowadays, I could care less for both. Not interested in catching the newest movies either because of ticket prices and crowded lines. Much rather wait and catch them on cable television. Will still watch NFL here and there when there is a huge game on. As for NCAA football, aside from fervently following USC, my passion for other games exists but definitely not at the sky high level it once was - not even close by a longshot. Aging will surely change one's outlook on life and inevitably create a new set of priorities. "Father Time" will forever be invincible.

I think the Internet has also caused passions to wane. You use to get the preseason mags to get you up to speed. You would get a newspaper article, tv news segment, and radio show every now and then. If your are lucky, 2 or 3 games on tv a season.

Fast forward to today and you get all information 24/7. Every game is available. Every interview. Behind the scenes. Recruiting. Tweets. Facebook. It's really an information overload. There is no down season anymore. So it makes the actual season less "special". At least that's how I see it. It just changes the way I enjoy. Not saying that information is a bad thing. It's just different.

Getting old is the toughest thing I have ever done but I still love the Gamecocks and count down the days to the start of the season with the rest of you who do. I have never missed buying a football mag before the season except when I was away from the USA which was too often, esp. during football season.
I know the mags are mostly garbage but its nice to have one at hand during the season for some reason.

Go Cocks!
I feel the same way this year

Age is probably not as big of a contributor as having things that actually MATTER to think about! A family, a rewarding career, things to plan and save for... when I was 21 I had none of that and spent my time getting wasted and talking football with my friends... now I have a wife and two daughters to take care of and they don't give a rip about FB.

When shit that matters occupies your life, shit that does NOT MATTER- like SPORTS- fades into the background.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs

Go Cocks!

Feel exactly the same as you. I also use to buy all the preseason magazines and just couldn't wait for that first game of the season. But, this year it's quite a different story, I'm still pulling for the Gamecocks but I am not excited. It could be because I am so old and a lot of the seasons seem to be repeats of seasons of the past- like since 1960, with the exception of the SOS years.

I'm 72 and it seems like we always had some new coach that was coming in that would start our program forever in a positive way. Paul Dietz, Jim Carlen, Lou Holtz, SOS and it never happened, at least on a sustainable level. So those are the facts that has taken the excitement out of the game for me.

Last edited:
Yes age plays a big role In that we have seen a lot of bad football and now we lost all of the momentum that we had built and it feels like the crappy stuff we used to see pre Lou and sos. I shouldn't let it but 56-7 and Klempsun winning the national championship totally dampened all enthusiasm. It seems like it might be much easier to lose interest and go do something else now. I never would have thought that way in the past. Sigh.

Old dogs don't get too excited. I think that you will find that most of your passions leave you.
Exactly!! Hell, some of those passions you'll find to be quite ignorant as one reaches the point to where he/she can "look back" from the perspective of a middle-aged adult!!!

Blissfulness such is!! Blissfulness!!!

Go Cocks!
I am not nearly as enthusiastic as I was some years ago, for a number of reasons - some football related and some not.

Im going to say it's getting older and passions change. I'm excited it's opening weekend but didn't make the trip to CLT. Instead chose to attend the shag festival in Edisto Beach.

My eye opening moment was 2 years ago after a tough loss at WB. My young son and I was leaving the stadium. I was pretty mad at the we played. As soon as we got to level ground outside the stadium my son started skipping and asked ... can we throw the football before we leave. It made me laugh. I realized I hate to lose like most people but we need to enjoy the experience and don't get caught up in what you cannot control. It put a new perspective on attending games.

Btw. This shag festival has gotten pretty big. Not a bad event for those of us that started receiving their AARP discount cards in the mail these last couple of years. :)

I feel exactly the same way. It started when I had kids. Now I am forty. I still have season tix and sell them every year. I go to maybe a game every other year. Just not the same.

I think when you get older you realize more and more what is important in life and football is just a game. I love the gamecocks and want them to be successful but I don't live and die bye it! also the costs for football games is ridiculous and it wipes your weekend out.

I think when you get older you realize more and more what is important in life and football is just a game. I love the gamecocks and want them to be successful but I don't live and die bye it! also the costs for football games is ridiculous and it wipes your weekend out.

If we were better I promise a lot of these posts would much different.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT