ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the end of the Frank Martin era??

TheCockyTex

Jan 24, 2012
3 key starters gone next year. 2-5 additional players will be kicked off team. Program regressed about three years in the matter of a week. Will Frank want to start the rebuilding process all over again at a school where even when it's been built it doesn't have enough national respect as a 25 win top 3 SEC school to even make the ncaa tourney. I think he sees the writing on the wall. Pitt would be a perfect fit for his tough brawling style.

I thank him for his effort but wouldn't blame him one bit for moving on.

3 key starters gone next year. 2-5 additional players will be kicked off team. Program regressed about three years in the matter of a week. Will Frank want to start the rebuilding process all over again at a school where even when it's been built it doesn't have enough national respect as a 25 win top 3 SEC school to even make the ncaa tourney. I think he sees the writing on the wall. Pitt would be a perfect fit for his tough brawling style.

I thank him for his effort but wouldn't blame him one bit for moving on.
Just don't see this team better next year! Suspect recruiting in some ways and Frank will be in year five. You just don't get your ass kicked in the suck ass NIT, home court, top seed! Would rather have Dave Odom, jmo!

Kstater here, honestly i've never seen frank as a program builder. He inherited a plush roster at Kstate and yes succeeded with it. But there's a connection with Frank's success at Kstate and news from today, that's Brad Underwood taking over at OSU. I firmly believe, even stronger now than ever that Underwood was the straw the stirred the drink when Martin was at KSU, and Frank was the angry attention grabbing face of the program. Not trying to be a total debbie downer, Frank has made SC somewhat relevant again but i hold my doubts Frank without key personnel on his staff can maintain a program at a really high level year in and year out

Reactions: AgnosticTrollCock
Kstater here, honestly i've never seen frank as a program builder. He inherited a plush roster at Kstate and yes succeeded with it. But there's a connection with Frank's success at Kstate and news from today, that's Brad Underwood taking over at OSU. I firmly believe, even stronger now than ever that Underwood was the straw the stirred the drink when Martin was at KSU, and Frank was the angry attention grabbing face of the program. Not trying to be a total debbie downer, Frank has made SC somewhat relevant again but i hold my doubts Frank without key personnel on his staff can maintain a program at a really high level year in and year out
Come on now. Frank didn't have any talent when he got here. Then trying to recruit in ACC country makes even tougher. There are more Tarheel fans in Columbia than Gamecock fans.

Still is a head scratcher to me why he'd leave a top program in big 12 to come to USC. It seems kstate fans didn't lose any sleep over him leaving though, which should've been a big red flag to USC fans.

Reactions: drawplay000
We'd be stupid to let Frank go. But it wouldn't surprise me, USC is famous for doing stupid crap. Our baseball coach has been getting a free pass for years, Frank should get all the free passes he wants in my opinion.

The big weakness exposed again.. No shooters.
Fours years of recruiting has done not much more than Horn! And than there are those that blame not having the 5 suspended players for the loss, LMAO! Which one of those players would have lead us to victory? NONE!!!!

We'd be stupid to let Frank go. But it wouldn't surprise me, USC is famous for doing stupid crap. Our baseball coach has been getting a free pass for years, Frank should get all the free passes he wants in my opinion.
We still haven't rebounded since we fired Felton after 20 wins. All the while Jesus Shuttlesworth himself Ray Allen was a right up the road at Hillcrest as a high school senior. Smh!

Fours years of recruiting has done not much more than Horn! And than there are those that blame not having the 5 suspended players for the loss, LMAO! Which one of those players would have lead us to victory? NONE!!!!
Do you actually that this team is no better than Horn's last two teams? If so, you're at least slightly deranged.

None of those guys would have led us to victory but it would've been more competitive game to have guys that could provide more depth. Silva,Gregory and Stroman could've gotten valuable minutes and help spell the starters.

Reactions: funktavious
Do you actually that this team is no better than Horn's last two teams? If so, you're at least slightly deranged.
No dude not deranged but you might be! This team was OK! What 25 win team has ever been left out of the big dance? I think we made history! Go respond to some other thread!

None of those guys would have led us to victory but it would've been more competitive game to have guys that could provide more depth. Silva,Gregory and Stroman could've gotten valuable minutes and help spell the starters.
Home court, top seed, got you ass spanked, what's your point by losing by 7 less points?

Not to mention you have 10-15 fouls to give to play the kind of D we are accustomed to playing, so yes not having those extra bench players made a difference! You might not realize it, but I betcha' they do!

Being competitive is the difference. Home court wasn't an advantage because the arena was nearly empty.
Jesus, And it's home court! Yes it's an advantage! God almighty. Your a 1 seed and it's the suck ass NIT! Do you need a new brain?

Jesus, And it's home court! Yes it's an advantage! God almighty. Your a 1 seed and it's the suck ass NIT! Do you need a new brain?
What's up with the insults? Let's stick to talking about the game instead of personal attacks. Like I said not much depth on the bench and a sparse crowd is not really a home court advantage.

We still haven't rebounded since we fired Felton after 20 wins. All the while Jesus Shuttlesworth himself Ray Allen was a right up the road at Hillcrest as a high school senior. Smh!

I've seen a good bit about Ray Allen being a military brat that no ties to this state other than his dad being transferred to the base when Ray was in high school. Ray had NO interest in playing college hoops here, by all accounts. I do agree with you about Felton, though!!

Still is a head scratcher to me why he'd leave a top program in big 12 to come to USC. It seems kstate fans didn't lose any sleep over him leaving though, which should've been a big red flag to USC fans.
He left up there because he was getting heat from the leadership about his demeanor. I like Frank Martin a lot and consider him a good coach, but he's been trying to do it with mirrors.

Defense and rebounding are important but the trick of basketball is to get the ball in the basket, which this team could never consistently do.

So, here we are in tatters at the end of Frank's fourth year and here Frank is at the crossroads. Dance in Five or don't survive. Whether you agree or not, that's what it's going to come down to.

Last edited:
He left up there because he was getting heat from the leadership about his demeanor
I think that this is rank revisionism. I don't think it had anything to do with demeanor. Martin left because he was getting no support from the AD. Specifically, his best player was suspended right before the NCAA regionals and he was never even consulted. As I recall, it was a really bad call by the AD.

I think that this is rank revisionism. I don't think it had anything to do with demeanor. Martin left because he was getting no support from the AD. Specifically, his best player was suspended right before the NCAA regionals and he was never even consulted. As I recall, it was a really bad call by the AD.
The AD didn't like him and so didn't support him and thus undermined him.. It was a personality thing, ergo, he didn't appreciate Frank's court-side carriage. That suspension was more a symptom than a cause. Had he felt kinship with Frank, Frank wouldn't have been closed out of the decision. I'm not saying the AD was the one who was right. I'm saying he didn't like Frank. That factor crystallized around the suspension.

Reactions: 76gintcock

Hmmmm . . . the 'Eddie Fogler Syndrome' surfaces again?

Most of this thread is ridiculous. Wonder how many of the fire Frank critics in here were at the game last night trying to support our shorthanded team? The KState guy saying that Frank is not a program builder must be living in a different reality. From literally one of the most toxic, sorry situations in major conference mens basketball to being one win away from dancing in a 4 year span. What a failure, right?

Frank has done a lot with the program which was basically started from scratch when he got here. He may not be bringing in McDonalds AA every year but he really has upgraded the overall level of talent. I think he is changing the perception of USC basketball around and hopefully he can leverage the 25 win season this year into winning the recruits we need to take the next step. Im no sunshine pumper, but if you cant see the progress you must have your head in the sand. And for all these Kansas State people who are talking shit or saying they are glad Frank is gone, look at their program since he left. They made the NCAA the first two years after he left (and lost in the 1st round), and the last two years they havent made the tournament or NIT. Sour grapes if Ive ever seen em...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT