ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the end of the Frank Martin era??

Many more football fans yes. But Tar Heel basketball is king in the Carolina's. Even our top high school talent if given a choice to sign with the Tar heels or USC they would choose UNC 99 percent of the time.

Maybe you missed the 10,000 Gamecock fans at Madison Square Garden for the Regional in March. Those are basketball fans.

Reactions: DC-99
Maybe you missed the 10,000 Gamecock fans at Madison Square Garden for the Regional in March. Those are basketball fans.
You still don't get it do you? Well we agree to disagree. I've been following the college game for years. The fans came out because it was something that hasn't been done before. But true basketball fans in South Carolina will either be North Carolina fans or Duke fans. In order for that to change we have to consistently make the NCAA tournament.

FM got 24 wins with the 73rd most difficult schedule in the country. He got 17 wins last year against the 29th most difficult schedule.

If you're pointing to the great leap this team made and salivating over what Martin's going to do next, you shouldn't be. His team didn't really get any better. They just played a bunch of terrible teams.
Boy how stupid does this look now?

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
You still don't get it do you? Well we agree to disagree. I've been following the college game for years. The fans came out because it was something that hasn't been done before. But true basketball fans in South Carolina will either be North Carolina fans or Duke fans. In order for that to change we have to consistently make the NCAA tournament.
I disagree. Lots of True basketball fans are Cocks as well. Just not much to cheer about until very recently.

I disagree. Lots of True basketball fans are Cocks as well. Just not much to cheer about until very recently.
I have to side with @dcdayday on this one. I moved to NC 16 years ago after graduation. I've met a bunch of hardcore Gamecock fans and alumni up here, and I would say 80% or more are "Gamecocks + Duke basketball" or "Gamecocks + UNC basketball." And most of the ones in my age range (40 and younger) have been raised this way.

Don't get me wrong, these fans were ecstatic when we beat Duke in the tournament, but they're not dropping the Blue Devils or Tarheels to follow Gamecock basketball exclusively any time soon.

Reactions: dcdayday
Reading some of these old posts reminds me of something a high school baseball coach once said about fan 'support.'

'The dogs may bark, but the caravan moves on.'

No need to call people names. If you disagree, fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But, guess what? So is everyone else.

Frank's done a nice job. Not great, but nice. IMO, Gregg would have and will do better. I don't think Gregg would have missed on the many SC prospects that Frank missed. Gregg wouldn't have gotten all of them m, but IMO he'd have gotten more than Frank.

If Frank accomplishes nothing else, at least he slew Atlanta Cock. He hasn't posted since the Final Four run. Or at least he hasn't posted as "Atlanta Cock."

Are we talking about the coach that took us to the final 4. Something I thought I would see as a USC fan?

True. Stupidity runs through the ranks. Just when you think it's bottomed out here comes another one. Instead of this relentless criticism of Frank Martin and stupid speculation of his being finished here by some posters, I'm enjoying the return to respect he's brought to the program.By the way, most programs including the "biggies" have schedules with weak opponents on them.

If Frank accomplishes nothing else, at least he slew Atlanta Cock. He hasn't posted since the Final Four run. Or at least he hasn't posted as "Atlanta Cock."

Underrated post.

I'm sorry...but I don't get how anyone can call themselves a Gamecock and also pull for the Tarheels.

THIS!!!! A Cock should only pull for them when they play the Tillmanites.

I have to side with @dcdaydayI've met a bunch of hardcore Gamecock fans and alumni up here, and I would say 80% or more are "Gamecocks + Duke basketball" or "Gamecocks + UNC basketball." .

I'm calling BS on this. Either those people are Duke and UNC fans looking for a football program they can cheer for, or they are Gamecock fans pulling against Clemson 4 times a year. But if they are big fans of Duke or UNC basketball, then, by definition, they aren't hardcore Gamecock fans.

3 key starters gone next year. 2-5 additional players will be kicked off team. Program regressed about three years in the matter of a week. Will Frank want to start the rebuilding process all over again at a school where even when it's been built it doesn't have enough national respect as a 25 win top 3 SEC school to even make the ncaa tourney. I think he sees the writing on the wall. Pitt would be a perfect fit for his tough brawling style.

I thank him for his effort but wouldn't blame him one bit for moving on.
I bet you are a blast to hangout with around the holidays.

3 key starters gone next year. 2-5 additional players will be kicked off team. Program regressed about three years in the matter of a week. Will Frank want to start the rebuilding process all over again at a school where even when it's been built it doesn't have enough national respect as a 25 win top 3 SEC school to even make the ncaa tourney. I think he sees the writing on the wall. Pitt would be a perfect fit for his tough brawling style.

I thank him for his effort but wouldn't blame him one bit for moving on.
What team do you pull for?

Think Frank likes it in Columbia, and obviously bought himself a ton of time on the bench with the Final Four trip. Just up to see if he wants to stay. One of the earlier posts mentioned Pittsburgh. Don't really see that happening. But the one opening I do see him drawn to in the not too distant future is Miami. Their coach is not far from retirement anyway, and the recent issues have gotten Miami also, so his retirement could come sooner than he would like. Could easily see Frank taking the Miami gig. Gives him a chance to go home.

I've only missed a dozen mens basketball home games in the last 36 seasons; I guess I'm not a true basketball fan.

He also put an end to those "wish we had hired Gregg Marshall" posts. Instead of wondering if Gregg Marshall could have taken us to the Final Four, we actually have a coach who has done it......and he's done it here...not somewhere else.

I've only missed a dozen mens basketball home games in the last 36 seasons; I guess I'm not a true basketball fan.
Dude you are one that represents a small percentage. I grew up in Columbia and graduated from the University very rarely would you find a college basket fan that was strictly a South Carolina fan. Even for me I followed the team but I was a Georgetown fan as well.

'The dogs may bark, but the caravan moves on.'
'The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient.'

Capture.jpg

But the one opening I do see him drawn to in the not too distant future is Miami. Their coach is not far from retirement anyway, and the recent issues have gotten Miami also, so his retirement could come sooner than he would like. Could easily see Frank taking the Miami gig. Gives him a chance to go home.

Yeah. This concerns me a little bit.

I don’t think so. The 2015-16 team benefitted from an inflated win total because of an easy schedule. I don’t think that’s in any doubt. And the 2016-2017 team was largely disappointing, until the improbable NCAA tournament run. It was a team again that struggled at the end of the regular season and crashed out of the SEC tournament. They were lucky to receive a better NCAA seed than they probably deserved.

Those 4 wins in March were as magical as they were unexpected. But if that run wasn’t a program changer, it’s not going to mean much beyond our collective recollections.

There is nothing that pisses me off more than the type of fair weather fan that will pull for us in anything but then like duke or UNC in basketball. I have a friend who likes Bama in football and Duke in basketball and I tell him he's not a fan of anything then. Take that crap out of here.

You're either a Gamecock or you ain't. Anyone who pulls that crap we don't need as fans.

Just don't see this team better next year! Suspect recruiting in some ways and Frank will be in year five. You just don't get your ass kicked in the suck ass NIT, home court, top seed! Would rather have Dave Odom, jmo!

I have no idea what this means, it makes no sense.

There is nothing that pisses me off more than the type of fair weather fan that will pull for us in anything but then like duke or UNC in basketball. I have a friend who likes Bama in football and Duke in basketball and I tell him he's not a fan of anything then. Take that crap out of here.

You're either a Gamecock or you ain't. Anyone who pulls that crap we don't need as fans.

I agree and those that only pull for a college team because they win all the time has issues well beyond sports.

Guys under the circumstances he has done a heck of a job bringing in additional talent. Unless it is for the handful of programs where recruits line up at the door (Duke, NC and Kentucky) why the hell would he want to leave for about the same money. He almost made it to the national championship last year. Now, with last years run he is arguably one of the better coaches in the game and he should start getting more high end recruits. Why not stay here?

I've only missed a dozen mens basketball home games in the last 36 seasons; I guess I'm( not a true basketball fan.

Sure, you go to games, but you're not really a fan because we don't win all the time.:p Tell the truth............you're really a closet tarhole fan.......another poster said if you're a SC fan, you're usually a duke or tarhole fan for basketball (especially if you live in NC).

I'm kidding of course. But I never cease to be amazed on FGF. I can assure that poster of one thing.......If I ever move to NC (communist state by the way but I digress), I will never ever ever ever ever pull for the tarholes or blue devils unless they play the taters.

And BTW, hats off to you for making so many basketball games over the years. With today's lifestyles, it's hard to be consistent with things like that. I let life stop me from playing golf, and I gave up my season football tickets after 31 years a few years ago. (of course, being 4.5 hours away doesn't help either:))

I think it was because we had a lot of posters who really wanted Greg Marshall. They were so disappointed when he didn't get hired that they actually began to wish for failure from Frank Martin just so they could say I told you so. They point to Marshall's success at WS and conclude that he would have had the same success here when they were 2 totally different types of jobs. USC was going to be a major rebuild for any coach that stepped in. The only coaches in the country that could have gotten us closer any sooner were not about to leave Kentucky, Louisville, or UNC. Even if those coaches did come, how long would it be before we were on probation? Frank has done one hell of a job and I'm happy we have him.
Fully agree. Why start such a nonsense post when there has been nothing to indicate any of this nonsense will occur. Pot stirrer big time.

Reactions: whythis28
this somewhat classless thread at the top of our forum speaks volumes about a significant segment of our fan base

go cocks!

this somewhat classless thread at the top of our forum speaks volumes about a significant segment of our fan base

go cocks!
Was just thinking, "I wish the thread would die already!" (And of course, my commenting brings it back to the top.....)

Reactions: pettyw
He also put an end to those "wish we had hired Gregg Marshall" posts. Instead of wondering if Gregg Marshall could have taken us to the Final Four, we actually have a coach who has done it......and he's done it here...not somewhere else.
This x 1,000 - thank you for saying this...I think we may just get through a whole season without a Gregg Marshall post this year....here's to hoping at least!

Reactions: pettyw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT