ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the end of the Frank Martin era??

Geeeezzzz.....some of you have no hope of ever being smart!!!! If you think Frank hasn't improved our basketball team from when Horn was here then you are a complete, no doubt, head to toe MORON. If you don't think the player development and recruiting hasn't gotten better then you are a complete, no doubt, head to toe MORON.

The only reason Frank wont be here next year is because a better program with better history comes calling and he wants to get away from morons like you in this fan? base. There are 100's of other teams that would love to have Frank as their coach.

I honestly wouldn't blame him because I know I am sick and tired of coming on this board and seeing this garbage every day.

I feel sorry for Muschamp....he doesn't realize he stepped into a fan base full of idiots and morons. Welcome to South Carolina.....Welcome to FGF.

No need to call people names. If you disagree, fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But, guess what? So is everyone else.

Frank's done a nice job. Not great, but nice. IMO, Gregg would have and will do better. I don't think Gregg would have missed on the many SC prospects that Frank missed. Gregg wouldn't have gotten all of them m, but IMO he'd have gotten more than Frank.

Frank isn't done here. He's improved the program. That being said, he badly needs to find some scorers. I don't care what kind of defense they play as long as they can score. Downey type of player.

Last edited:
No need to call people names. If you disagree, fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But, guess what? So is everyone else.

Frank's done a nice job. Not great, but nice. IMO, Gregg would have and will do better. I don't think Gregg would have missed on the many SC prospects that Frank missed. Gregg wouldn't have gotten all of them m, but IMO he'd have gotten more than Frank.

There isn't a big enough *roll eyes* for this, but you're correct, you're entitled to your opinion. Just expect to hear feedback when your opinion is delusional.

I've seen a good bit about Ray Allen being a military brat that no ties to this state other than his dad being transferred to the base when Ray was in high school. Ray had NO interest in playing college hoops here, by all accounts. I do agree with you about Felton, though!!
Did you see the part about both schools were going through coaching changes at the time?

Regardless of the past, he has to break through. Five years is a gracious plenty in basketball. By then, you have more than cycled out everybody who was here before and your players are upperclassmen. Your early redshirts are also seniors at the five-year mark. Dance in Five or Don't Survive. I know there are lots of people who won't agree, but the plateau needs to be surmounted or the better recruits will no longer believe it can be. Better recruits are needed around here.

I can't believe the number of bandwagon fans on this site. During our winning streak this year the posters on this board couldn't say enough good things about Frank Martin. Now he's a poor coach that can't build a program. Unbelievable.

No... the same morons were just not posting after the wins. They only post after losses.

None of those guys would have led us to victory but it would've been more competitive game to have guys that could provide more depth. Silva,Gregory and Stroman could've gotten valuable minutes and help spell the starters.
Especially when our bigs were getting called for BS fouls early on. My biggest worry going into this game was players getting into foul trouble. We had no one to turn to on the bench. I don't know what will become of the guys who got suspended. I assume at least 3 of them will be back. If we somehow got all 5 back this team would be a little better next season. Silva with a year in the weight room and Dozier hopefully getting better at protecting the basketball. He was actually hitting jump shots late in the game last night. Hopefully he will continue to get better in that department.

Ah, the program building discussion... This isn't the 80s. You either have the legit recruiting connections or you don't. Martin sold himself as a guy who could recruit Florida and the Northeast. Hasn't quite shown it.

Maybe the real question is, can he develop players? Carrera improved a great deal. Has Thronwell? Notice? And what of Frank Martin game day coach? That last possession in the most important game of the year was quite telling.

Good grief. Give it a rest will you? Gregg isn't our coach, probably never will be but there is absolutely no proof that he could have done any better here than Frank. South Carolina was going to be a tough build for anyone. It's an extremely difficult place to recruit basketball players. We are smack dab in the middle of ACC recruiting territory where half the kids don't know anything about South Carolina basketball. The culture is changing and hopefully it will start to catch on.

Reactions: Tigerof66
3 key starters gone next year. 2-5 additional players will be kicked off team. Program regressed about three years in the matter of a week. Will Frank want to start the rebuilding process all over again at a school where even when it's been built it doesn't have enough national respect as a 25 win top 3 SEC school to even make the ncaa tourney. I think he sees the writing on the wall. Pitt would be a perfect fit for his tough brawling style.

I thank him for his effort but wouldn't blame him one bit for moving on.
Yes
Frank is looking

Especially when our bigs were getting called for BS fouls early on. My biggest worry going into this game was players getting into foul trouble. We had no one to turn to on the bench. I don't know what will become of the guys who got suspended. I assume at least 3 of them will be back. If we somehow got all 5 back this team would be a little better next season. Silva with a year in the weight room and Dozier hopefully getting better at protecting the basketball. He was actually hitting jump shots late in the game last night. Hopefully he will continue to get better in that department.
I saw last week Frank offered a guard here in the Central Florida area named Darwin Morales for 2016. He's 6'3" shooting guard. Actually I see Stroman,Gregory and maybe Blanton transferring. Stroman has not developed at all and appears to be more of a liability than an asset when on the floor. If Cobb is out the door as well it could be huge blow. He looked very promising just needed to lose weight.

Reactions: funktavious
I saw last week Frank offered a guard here in the Central Florida area named Darwin Morales for 2016. He's 6'3" shooting guard. Actually I see Stroman,Gregory and maybe Blanton transferring. Stroman has not developed at all and appears to be more of a liability than an asset when on the floor. If Cobb is out the door as well it could be huge blow. He looked very promising just needed to lose weight.
I think Cobb would be the biggest loss there. It's much easier to find guards than it is to find quality big men. I am looking forward to seeing Keita play and I'm curious about Kotsar. He hasn't been around long but from all the talk about him, he sounds like he could be a talented ball player. We'll all see when he gets here.

Frank moving on? That would make him the first head coach in USC history to leave the school for another head coaching job (in BB and FB). You know how amazing that stat is? USC is where careers go to die. I don't see it happening now.

I would almost welcome it. Not because I want Frank to leave, but maybe we could attract better coaching candidates in the future if coaches know they aren't putting an end to their careers by coming here.

Here's the thing South Carolina fans need to get through their heads: we have one of the worst programs, traditionally speaking, in the big 5 conferences. Tradition-wise, we aren't even close to being one of the top 100 programs in the NCAA. This isn't tater talk, this is a fact. Our basketball program traditionally sucks, especially in the ESPN/Big Dance era.

One thing we have consistently done is go through coaches like toilet paper. Some of our coaches needed to go or had their best days behind them: Odom, Foster, Horne, Newton. But we also made the brilliant decision to fire Felton and run Fogler off. Point being, we haven't had any stability in coaching since the McGuire era. We're a program you go to for 5 years and then leave or get fired.

So now we have a coach who took the worst program in major college basketball and, in 4 years, has turned them into an NCAA bubble team. And some of us want to run him off? We need stability. We aren't going to get there by running off the guy who tied the school record for wins in a season. Will we be better next year? Possibly (probably?) not. But I for one think that we need to ride the Martin train as long as we can barring total collapse. Our program needs an identity and stability.

And that is where the tough decision making line gets drawn. Has Frank improved the basketball program over what he inherited? Yes. On the upside, they won 25 games this season which couldn't have been dreamed of four years ago. But the downside of that is that the gaudy record was built against one of the worst OOC schedules anyone could come up with. Add to that fact that the SEC wasn't exactly a powerhouse and you get a record that made many of us feel that this team was much better than they actually were. Bottom line is that good teams don't get beaten by Mizzou, nor get swept by a mediocre Georgia team. And next years team doesn't appear to have as much talent as this years version.An above poster is correct that Frank inherited a pretty sweet situation at K-State. And let's be honest with ourselves. USC isn't exactly the easiest place to recruit to. No tradition to speak of, and any home grown kids that are true program changers are going to be lured by the power ACC schools. Usually you can see a new basketball coach really start to turn it around in years 2-3. It took Frank four, and then whatever was accomplished sort of got wiped out by the play the last couple of weeks. Tanner is in a tough position. I think he will extend Frank and hope that this year isn't as good as it is going to get. But it looks like that we will have another rebuilding stage to go through.

Reactions: rogue cock
And that is where the tough decision making line gets drawn. Has Frank improved the basketball program over what he inherited? Yes. On the upside, they won 25 games this season which couldn't have been dreamed of four years ago. But the downside of that is that the gaudy record was built against one of the worst OOC schedules anyone could come up with. Add to that fact that the SEC wasn't exactly a powerhouse and you get a record that made many of us feel that this team was much better than they actually were. Bottom line is that good teams don't get beaten by Mizzou, nor get swept by a mediocre Georgia team. And next years team doesn't appear to have as much talent as this years version.An above poster is correct that Frank inherited a pretty sweet situation at K-State. And let's be honest with ourselves. USC isn't exactly the easiest place to recruit to. No tradition to speak of, and any home grown kids that are true program changers are going to be lured by the power ACC schools. Usually you can see a new basketball coach really start to turn it around in years 2-3. It took Frank four, and then whatever was accomplished sort of got wiped out by the play the last couple of weeks. Tanner is in a tough position. I think he will extend Frank and hope that this year isn't as good as it is going to get. But it looks like that we will have another rebuilding stage to go through.

If what I'm hearing is true, Tanner has offered an extension to 2022 and moved him to 2.5 million a year. That doesn't make any sense for a coach that lost in the second round of the NIT. He needs to give him another year, two at most. Tanner is just too generous with other people's money.

Glad some of our "fans" can focus 100% on whining and complaining about baseball now. Must have been exhausting and tiresome, trying to multi-task bitching.

I'd say there are an equal number of posters complaining about the "fans" as those complaining about getting blown out last night. Hell, maybe more, which I find strange. Hopefully they'll settle into the losing mindset soon enough.

But there is good news - we won another bass fishing championship yesterday!

Frank isn't done here. He's has improved the program. That being said, he badly needs to find some scorers. I don't care what kind of defense they play as long as they can score. Downey type of player.

I like Frank but looking at the new recruits for next year, once again there doesnt appear to be any shooters/scorers. We simply have too many projects who have potential but not great scorers at the college level. I do think Silva was very good and could develop into an even better player. P.J. struggled at times but also played very well at times. Typical of most freshman. Seventh Woods may not be a great shooter from what has been said but he is a scorer and we desperately need those types of players. That loss is going to hurt us and our chances of improving on our season. We cannot let players like that in our own backyard keep making the Holes better. How do you compete against that and their history/success? Well them going on probation would certainly help our cause but we know that is most likely not going to happen. They also have Felton lined up in couple years. There is still time to sway him.

If what I'm hearing is true, Tanner has offered an extension to 2022 and moved him to 2.5 million a year. That doesn't make any sense for a coach that lost in the second round of the NIT. He needs to give him another year, two at most. Tanner is just too generous with other people's money.
and if I were Martin and Tanner only offered me a year or two on a contract extension I'd be insulted and probably start looking to see what coaching jobs are available. I think Pittsburgh just opened. up.

I like Frank but looking at the new recruits for next year, once again there doesnt appear to be any shooters/scorers. We simply have too many projects who have potential but not great scorers at the college level. I do think Silva was very good and could develop into an even better player. P.J. struggled at times but also played very well at times. Typical of most freshman. Seventh Woods may not be a great shooter from what has been said but he is a scorer and we desperately need those types of players. That loss is going to hurt us and our chances of improving on our season. We cannot let players like that in our own backyard keep making the Holes better. How do you compete against that and their history/success? Well them going on probation would certainly help our cause but we know that is most likely not going to happen. They also have Felton lined up in couple years. There is still time to sway him.

I forgot about Keita but not sure he is a scorer as much a guy who will rebound and defend the post. I thought Doby played well at times also.

Some of you people are absolutely pathetic. You expect miracles overnight. We were THE WORST team in major college basketball 4 years ago and Martin won 25 games this year. And that's after he ran off most of the starters after his first year. This year we finished 3rd in the league. Bubble team, NIT team, whatever, this team is 10X better than the team he took over. ANYONE with a half a lick of sense can see that.

I hope Ray pays the man and we build some stability around here. We've hired nobodies (Newton, Horn), hired bigger names (Odom, Fogler, Foster), and hired favorite sons (Felton) and it's all equaled out to one thing save 3 or 4 seasons -- crap. Frank's proven what he can do so it's worth a 5-6 year deal to see if he can turn us into a consistent winner.

All FM proved this year is that he could win 20+ games in a terrible conference, with one of he easiest OOC schedules in the country. People using this season as an argument for more Frank Martin aren't living in reality.

I said that if finished with a .500 or better record in conference this season, there would be reason for an extension. And I'll grudging stick by that. But if he wants to leave or Tanner decides there is a better option out there, that's fine too.

South Carolina is a basketball wasteland, but with the right coach who has the right recruiting connections, things could change very quickly. I'm not seeing evidence that Martin is that guy.

I really like Frank. I am concerned though that he is unhappy. I would not be surprised if he left.

All FM proved this year is that he could win 20+ games in a terrible conference, with one of he easiest OOC schedules in the country. People using this season as an argument for more Frank Martin aren't living in reality.

I said that if finished with a .500 or better record in conference this season, there would be reason for an extension. And I'll grudging stick by that. But if he wants to leave or Tanner decides there is a better option out there, that's fine too.

South Carolina is a basketball wasteland, but with the right coach who has the right recruiting connections, things could change very quickly. I'm not seeing evidence that Martin is that guy.
Martin just posted back to back winning seasons to end a 10 year stretch in which USC had only one season above .500. He inherited a roster outside the top 300, and in four years built a 24 win team. A team that cracked the top 25 for the first team in 12 years.

Frank and Lamont have more 'recruiting connections' than any USC basketball coach since McGuire, I guess you don't understand the 'evidence' you are seeking.

and if I were Martin and Tanner only offered me a year or two on a contract extension I'd be insulted and probably start looking to see what coaching jobs are available. I think Pittsburgh just opened. up.
FM has .530 winning percentage at SC with a .361% percentage in the conference. He's currently the sixth highest paid coach in the conference and could get a bump in pay that would put him somewhere around three or four. I can't imagine how that's insulting. But if he can parlay his accomplishments at USC into a better job, I guess he should do it.

3 key starters gone next year. 2-5 additional players will be kicked off team. Program regressed about three years in the matter of a week. Will Frank want to start the rebuilding process all over again at a school where even when it's been built it doesn't have enough national respect as a 25 win top 3 SEC school to even make the ncaa tourney. I think he sees the writing on the wall. Pitt would be a perfect fit for his tough brawling style.

I thank him for his effort but wouldn't blame him one bit for moving on.

IS THIS THE END OF THE FRANK MARTIN ERA?

No, he ain't even warmed up.

“I’ll say this -- if winning 24 games, 11 BCS conference games, finishing third in a BCS conference is not good enough to get to an NCAA tournament bid, I need to go back to bouncing,” coach Frank Martin said. “And I don’t say that jokingly, I mean that seriously.”

Frank has the size and looks to be a good bouncer. He just needs to remember one thing...

Be-nice-Until.jpg

Have mixed feelings about whether he is the right fit for our program...I know the players seem to like him off the court but that constant barrage of negativity when you're engaged in battle has to take it's toll on your psyche. Plus, just don't feel it's a good marketing look for our program overall....Even Bob Knight complemented his players at times ~ just never seen any positive words from Frank during a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT