ADVERTISEMENT

It drives me nuts...

UNC’s CS program is tied for (with Duke & Johns Hopkins - pretty good neighborhood) 25th in counrtry. I worked for the NSA, who had most powferful computers in the world. We recruited heavily at UNC. I think you are out of your league.
So most UNC athletes major in computer science? Smh. Don't get condescending with me, son. Trust me, there's a lot more UNC grads out there with overrated finance and accounting degrees than computer science.

UNC’s CS program is tied for (with Duke & Johns Hopkins - pretty good neighborhood) 25th in counrtry. I worked for the NSA, who had most powferful computers in the world. We recruited heavily at UNC. I think you are out of your league.

USC '87 dipwad. That explains a lot about the NSA. Those computers must have been real powferful!! How's Snowden doing these days! :) Talk about ignorant trolls. Nice quick lookup on the latest, meaningless rankings. How much do they cost now? I worked in RTP for a $4 Billion company and I can tell you we didn't recruit UNC very hard. It's been a few years, but I can also tell you that I never met a UNC grad while working with the folks in the datacenter over at IBM nor at MCNC / NC Supercomputing Center. I managed a network from coast to coast, guess what, no UNC grads. Like I said, there may have been some good ones out there, but, personally, I never met them.

Sorry, I don't believe UNC is the Ivey League school of the South. Its more like UCal-Berkeley. I would like to believe their academic reputation has taken a huge hit from the latest scandals, considering that they were placed on probation by SACS. However, if someone can sell that overrated school to foolish athletes, it would be Mack Brown. Hopefully, Coach Muschamp can out recruit him in NC but its going to be tough. Doeren is not going to make things any easier. As a side note, my son will receive his Masters from UNC next month. I am very proud of him but I really wish he had received his education elsewhere. I am biased, but nothing beats USC to me. Looking forward to Charlotte in August!

USC '87 dipwad. That explains a lot about the NSA. Those computers must have been real powferful!! How's Snowden doing these days! :) Talk about ignorant trolls. Nice quick lookup on the latest, meaningless rankings. How much do they cost now? I worked in RTP for a $4 Billion company and I can tell you we didn't recruit UNC very hard. It's been a few years, but I can also tell you that I never met a UNC grad while working with the folks in the datacenter over at IBM nor at MCNC / NC Supercomputing Center. I managed a network from coast to coast, guess what, no UNC grads. Like I said, there may have been some good ones out there, but, personally, I never met them.

Sorry, I don't believe UNC is the Ivey League school of the South. Its more like UCal-Berkeley. I would like to believe their academic reputation has taken a huge hit from the latest scandals, considering that they were placed on probation by SACS. However, if someone can sell that overrated school to foolish athletes, it would be Mack Brown. Hopefully, Coach Muschamp can out recruit him in NC but its going to be tough. Doeren is not going to make things any easier. As a side note, my son will receive his Masters from UNC next month. I am very proud of him but I really wish he had received his education elsewhere. I am biased, but nothing beats USC to me. Looking forward to Charlotte in August!
You wouldn’t meet UNC math and CS grads in the Data Center. That’s where CC college alumni work.

Paterno coached way too long and his teams were very pedestrian at the end of his career. Even most PSU fans will acknowledge he should’ve retired about 10 years earlier. Bobby’s teams were the same at the end...major drop off at the end of his career. Saban built a machine over the past 10 years that’s pretty solid but time will tell what’ll happen there. Taking over a program from the bottom and re-building them at 67 is a lot different than being somewhere, establishing them over time, growing old there and then maintaining the success.

I don’t see Mack Brown having anymore success at UNC than Spurrier had here. They could still be very competitive if he can get guys in early and they play well early. I believe UNC hires Brown to change culture and get them started in the right direction for the next guy as much as they hired him to win there now. Which is why I think they pushed so hard for assistants like Klingsburg with the intention to handing over the program to them when Brown retires. That’s plan was also to help with the negative recruiting as mentioned in post above. It happens...and it is effective.

At 67, you better already have a succession plan in place. Of course it changes year to year, but you better have a plan for when it happens, even if it’s a list of outside guys.

Paterno lost 2 or less games 3 of his last five seasons (8-1) his last. He coached too long cuz he turned a blind eye not because they weren’t winning.
Believe me if we could have his last five year coaching record we would take it for life!

I would prefer to hear your son’s opinion of UNC. I’m sure he is smarter than his dad.

Paterno lost 2 or less games 3 of his last five seasons (8-1) his last. He coached too long cuz he turned a blind eye not because they weren’t winning.
Believe me if we could have his last five year coaching record we would take it for life!

10 years earlier would’ve been in 2001 during a really, really bad 7 year stretch for them. They did win some games later but the fans were ready for him to leave before then.

10 years earlier would’ve been in 2001 during a really, really bad 7 year stretch for them. They did win some games later but the fans were ready for him to leave before then.
When fans are ready I wish coaches would leave on their own lol

Reactions: Carolina4
UNC is a magnet for outstanding HS grads. Look at the mind-blowing number of applicants (look at their SAT scores and other academic credentials) and the related admissions-difficulty rating (especially for out-of-staters). I don’t think UNC has to add extra flavor to its “koolaid”.

UNC only accepts 600 freshmen from out of state each year. Perhaps that has changed, but that used to be the limit.

On Mack Brown, he's got a good reputation as a HC and recruiter. He's SIXTY EIGHT however, and that should slow down his recruiting after year one. Hell, they're selling playing time, I suspect. They SUCKED ASS last year. Pathetic game day experience at Keenan Stadium, with about 1/3 of the seats unoccupied most games, at best.
Brown won there before, and NC has many more HS players (population wise) than SC. We'll see?

I understand. But he stunk it up at Texas didn't he. If someone can't win at Texas, can they win at UNC?
He's won at UNC before. At Texas, his problem was his DC and "cracker jack recruiter". Amazingly that DC/recruiter went on to be a HC at 2 D1 schools and DC at another.
So there are still schools drinking the kool-aid he is selling. Only problem is a school will become addicted very quickly.

Last edited:
UNC only accepts 600 freshmen from out of state each year. Perhaps that has changed, but that used to be the limit.

On Mack Brown, he's got a good reputation as a HC and recruiter. He's SIXTY EIGHT however, and that should slow down his recruiting after year one. Hell, they're selling playing time, I suspect. They SUCKED ASS last year. Pathetic game day experience at Keenan Stadium, with about 1/3 of the seats unoccupied most games, at best.
Brown won there before, and NC has many more HS players (population wise) than SC. We'll see?
UNC is limited by state law to no more than 18% of admits from out-of-state. UNC only admits the very best from out-of-state. In comparison, UVA can admit 36% from out-of-state. Thls allows UVA to have slightly higher SAT scores overall as it can cherry-pick more out of state students who have super-high SAT scores. UVA recruits/admits high-powered HS students from the DC area (sons and daughters of diplomats and other high-achieving families, to include the children of foreign dignitaries.) UNC is also loaded with offsprings of prominent people (John (Steinbrenner's daughter, Jack Nicklaus' son, etc.) Out-of-state students admitted to UNC who enrolled at UNC in 2019 came from (most-to-least admits) Georgia, Florida, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, California, Texas, South Carolina, and single-digits from other states.

Last edited:

That's not how it was with Penn State. Every graduate from that period that I know loved Paterno. And I know far more PSU grads than USC grads.

That's not how it was with Penn State. Every graduate from that period that I know loved Paterno. And I know far more PSU grads than USC grads.

The ones I know thought he should’ve retired. They didn’t hate him, they loved him, but thought during that 7 year stretch the ones I know thought he should’ve retired.

Nothing that man could’ve done would’ve changed their love for him, including the covering up sexual abuse of many young men by his DC.

I would prefer to hear your son’s opinion of UNC. I’m sure he is smarter than his dad.

Wow. Just wow. Such sharp wit and intellect! Funny how all your posts concern UNC. Are you going to spout anymore UNC stats for us? Tell us what a great place it is? Explain how cheating is not related to the Carolina Way? Maybe you ought to get a real job (instead of the NSA, Ha!) Maybe on the UNC board? But hey, its the internet. You can say anything. I'm sure you'll have some snappy comeback, like "yo mamma" or how your entire family has graduated from SC since 1801, blah, blah, blah. We'll see if you're around talking up UNC come late August.
BTW, my son has never seen UNC win against SC football in his lifetime! Great stat. Always ends the conversation with UNC grads. ;) Coach Muschamp ought to use that one on the recruiting trail!

It will be impressive if Brown can get UNC back to winning at a high level. He's got a nice class at this stage - top 10 ranked nationally, but with 12 commits already but a 3.0-star average prospect rating, by the time this is all said and done it will struggle to be a top 20 ranked class unless they're able to bring in 30+ commits in it.

Brown was very successful his first go-round at UNC, and mostly at Texas, but in the last 3-4 years he and his staff at UT got lazy, and consistently fell below fanbase expectations. Many thought he, MBB Rick Barnes, and baseball HC Garrido got too fat and happy, and thought their connections in the booster system garnered them tenure as head coaches. And Brown and Barnes were forced out, while Garrido retired.

The question will be, can Brown reboot his career at UNC, a college basketball school with little fan support for the gridiron sport, when he faltered at the end of his time at Texas, the flagship program in a college football insane state that's full of elite prep FB talent every year that was born and bred to be Longhorns? Can he overhaul the talent base on the UNC roster that only has two top 25 ranked classes in the last 5 cycles, and is 5-18 (2-14) over the last 2 seasons?

Brown will turn 68 this August: Spurrier only coached at USC another 2.5 years when he hit this age, and was being negatively recruited against due to his age for years before this age. Our staff - and the competing staffs of other programs in the region - should be aggressively negatively recruiting against Brown for this same reason.

As for our own 2020 class, we'll start seeing more recruiting activity once our staff holds their summer camps, and get to evaluate the top targets in person, like how Coach Muschamp likes to do....

“Brown will turn 68....”

His reply to the age question will be the same one he currently uses...”I am younger than Nick Saban.”. As long as Saban stays at the top, he will have cover. If Nick stumbles or retires, all bets are off.

Man, this thread... here is some truth for everyone -

This class looks good now. Signing day is months and months (and more importantly, a whole football season) away. UNC is going to need to win at least 6 games to even hope to hold onto it. They've won the offseason but that ball is going to get kicked off at some point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT