ADVERTISEMENT

It's official. Dozier to NBA

Best upside comparison for him is Penny Hardaway. He's not a shooter. However, he has the length and athleticism to be a good NBA defender. Offensively, he can drive into the lane an do those crazy Derrick Rose-like acrobatics to get off his shot.

Best of luck to him.

Now Frank Martin landing a grad transfer is crucial if he wants to have a team capable of making NCAA tourney next year. I would hope some good grad transfers would see playing for the Gamecocks next season as a great opportunity, given great coaching, still some good core players on the team and immediate playing time available.

Reactions: IrmoRed
Best of luck to him.

Now Frank Martin landing a grad transfer is crucial if he wants to have a team capable of making NCAA tourney next year. I would hope some good grad transfers would see playing for the Gamecocks next season as a great opportunity, given great coaching, still some good core players on the team and immediate playing time available.

Cam Johnson who is graduate transfer from Pitt with TWO years of eligibility. Was in Columbia this weekend. He is a 6'8" shooting guard. He averaged 12.0 ppg. 45% field goal, 42% 3pt, 81% FT, 4.5 reb, and a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

I wish him well but it makes me sad to

tumblr_ns8g3npyWt1uspvevo2_500.gif

Reactions: IrmoRed
Best upside comparison for him is Penny Hardaway. He's not a shooter. However, he has the length and athleticism to be a good NBA defender. Offensively, he can drive into the lane an do those crazy Derrick Rose-like acrobatics to get off his shot.

He has Penny's height but will really have to work hard to be half as good as Penny was before he got hurt. Penny was a special player.

Hope he does great, wish him the best but why chance it when they give you opportunity to enter but back out if you don't go high enough or not at all.

Best of luck and thanks for helping team make Final 4!!!!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the deadline for withdrawing from the draft is...before the draft. You can't just go back to school if you don't get drafted high enough.

This is no surprise...strike while the iron is hot. It really doesn't matter if he thinks he will be a high draft pick...the question is whether he would be any higher next year. Probably not.

Reactions: garnet fire
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the deadline for withdrawing from the draft is...before the draft. You can't just go back to school if you don't get drafted high enough.

This is no surprise...strike while the iron is hot. It really doesn't matter if he thinks he will be a high draft pick...the question is whether he would be any higher next year. Probably not.
You can if you don't sign an agent, correct? I may be wrong but that was my understanding. Baseball players get drafted and return to play so if you don't sign agent you can return, I think?

Do these kids realize there are only 60 spots to be drafted and if you are 2nd rd you might not even make the team at all.

I wish this kid and Maten all the luck...but odds are stacked against them.

You can if you don't sign an agent, correct? I may be wrong but that was my understanding. Baseball players get drafted and return to play so if you don't sign agent you can return, I think?

That is incorrect. If you don't sign with an agent, you can withdraw by May 24th, after the combine, but before the draft. If you sign with an agent, you are ineligible to be an NCAA athlete, so that does it.

MLB rules are different. You can be drafted, and choose not to sign, in which case you can return to school.

Do these kids realize there are only 60 spots to be drafted and if you are 2nd rd you might not even make the team at all.

Even if he doesn't make an NBA roster next year, that doesn't mean his decision was a wrong one. There's more to it than that.

Reactions: E-Cut_22

FWIW, I don't think Maten has or will sign with an agent until after he sees how the draft turns out. That would probably have been the best option for Dozier as well. Test the waters but leave the door open to return if you're not happy with the draft position.

That IS a giant leap to compare Dozier best upside to Penny Hardaway. Since we're comparing on the future potential....you might just as easy compare Dozier to many young kids that have below average out side shooting skills who 2 years into a college career make the leap into the NBA

He has Penny's height but will really have to work hard to be half as good as Penny was before he got hurt. Penny was a special player.

That IS a giant leap to compare Dozier best upside to Penny Hardaway

Absolutely. I was speaking best-case-scenario.. Realistically, he's more likely to be DeAndre Liggins at the next level than Penny. Regardless, I wish him the best.

That is incorrect. If you don't sign with an agent, you can withdraw by May 24th, after the combine, but before the draft. If you sign with an agent, you are ineligible to be an NCAA athlete, so that does it.

MLB rules are different. You can be drafted, and choose not to sign, in which case you can return to school.
I think that's because there are about half a million rounds of the baseball draft where the NBA only has 2.

I know most folks dont think he will be a first rounder,but no one thought he would be a final four player either

If he bombs out in the NBA maybe Europe would be an option. That's actually where I think he'll end up but who knows. Could be he just doesn't like college. It might be that simple.

If he bombs out in the NBA maybe Europe would be an option. That's actually where I think he'll end up but who knows. Could be he just doesn't like college. It might be that simple.

It is, very often, that simple. College is not for everyone.

He will be drafted maybe higher than people think. Good luck PJ.

As for the team look for a drop off next year. Please don't be surprised we lost 2 NBA players and the best on the ball defender in college. And a super smart athletic role player.

But as long as we have Frank we will be back in it very soon. That run will pay off big over the next few years.

I'm not counting us out just being realistic.

How cool will it be if both our guys go in the 1st round. Both drafted would be huge alone. All the projections are pure speculation. It only takes 1 team to really like you and boom,

Coaches down play it but getting players to the next level is big. Having that player excell is bigger.

Reactions: MtpleasantDave
He will be drafted maybe higher than people think. Good luck PJ.

As for the team look for a drop off next year. Please don't be surprised we lost 2 NBA players and the best on the ball defender in college. And a super smart athletic role player.

But as long as we have Frank we will be back in it very soon. That run will pay off big over the next few years.

I'm not counting us out just being realistic.

How cool will it be if both our guys go in the 1st round. Both drafted would be huge alone. All the projections are pure speculation. It only takes 1 team to really like you and boom,

Coaches down play it but getting players to the next level is big. Having that player excell is bigger.
Some Kentucky lunatics hate Calipari for his players first mentality, but he wouldn't get the players he gets unless he proves he can get them to the league. The funny thing he uses this ploy to try and mask that he is just an average bench coach. He is a salesman with the sizzle, but doesn't know how to work the machinery. Frank knows how to coach. PJ going and eventually being a good player will only help his recruiting efforts.

Reactions: winloseortie
Best of luck to PJ! Glad he chose to be a Gamecock, and I hope he goes on to represent us well with a long career in the NBA!

Good luck to him but I think he is making a big mistake to leave 2 year early with only a second round grade.

Or...his dream of playing in the NBA is within reach. And he's seizing the opportunity. Maybe it's that simple?

Then again, people on here wanted Marcus to come back for another year after his UT injury!! That was an FGF all-time hot take.

Also, How about the lack of perspective there? Implying that PJ can't cut it in college so he's running away to the NBA. Should I post his actual quotes about going pro or do y'all realize the perpetual "he should stay another year" is just your selfish, uninformed opinion?

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
All the best to him. We wouldn't have made it to the Final Four without him.

We can only play the what if game now. If we make the tournament next year everyone will say what if we had Dozier. I still think we have some talent and Martin is a heck of a coach

Wow !! Don't know which guy y'all were watching but comparing PJ to Penny !??!!? That's insane . Without the insane amount of injuries Penny is a first year Hall of Famer and one to the greatest ever . The injuries just killed his career . At Memphis Penny was borderline unstoppable . Think PJ will be an excellent NBA player but the best comparison for me is Shaun Livingston before he destroyed his Knee . Even after a career ending type of injury he is still getting it done in the league . 6'8 PG with handles and can defend 3 positions . Think best case scenario for PJ is Livingston pre injury .

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
The timing seems weird. No feedback from the combine, so why sign with an agent. How many players go pro after their 2nd year? Doesn`t seem like many. Maybe the school part wasn`t for him. I mean, Blossomgame came back for his senior year when everyone thought he would go pro. A lot of people were talking about how deep this draft is for guards. This would have been his team next year, which you would think would have been invaluable experience. I wish him well but I don`t understand the decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT