ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched Ole Miss Spring game

hahnenkampf

Aug 7, 2005
There was some big time hitting going on in that game. The Ole Miss coach doesn't seem to be worried about spring practice injuries -- or at least the players don't.

Originally posted by hahnenkampf:

There was some big time hitting going on in that game. The Ole Miss coach doesn't seem to be worried about spring practice injuries -- or at least the players don't.
I was very disappointed to read that we had not been practicing any more aggressively than usual this spring. But you have to chalk it up to depth on the O-line, which is thin: we won't have more than 8 upper classmen on the O-line come the fall (and that's counting Matulis). I don't know, but I suspect most of the top SEC teams have at least 10 upper classmen every season. So, we have to practice gently. Spurrier himself said something in the paper in the last day or two that contradicts one of the central wisdoms of athletics, namely that "you play like you practice". No, Spurrier said. Practice is one thing, and what happens in the stadium is another. How can a guy like Spurrier get this wrong?

I tend to agree with SOS re: 'controlled' hitting in most practices. Where I disagree with him is the state of our OL's depth. Our ready-to-play-or-back-up OL numbers often are sub-par in the depth conscious SEC.

I think you need to have a good mix of hard hitting and back it down... I hate playing against small teams like SC State, it seems like we don't want to embarrass them by hitting hard and run up the score... A fews years back we had some injuries by taking it easy on them...

Originally posted by supermangrantz:

I was very disappointed to read that we had not been practicing any more aggressively than usual this spring. But you have to chalk it up to depth on the O-line, which is thin: we won't have more than 8 upper classmen on the O-line come the fall (and that's counting Matulis). I don't know, but I suspect most of the top SEC teams have at least 10 upper classmen every season. So, we have to practice gently. Spurrier himself said something in the paper in the last day or two that contradicts one of the central wisdoms of athletics, namely that "you play like you practice". No, Spurrier said. Practice is one thing, and what happens in the stadium is another. How can a guy like Spurrier get this wrong?
UF has 5 scholarship OLinemen right now. They are relying on freshmen to be back ups. I guess it could be worse?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT