ADVERTISEMENT

Leach already in hot water at Mississippi State

I think you might have to buy the man dinner. I am 53. Went to school in the first year of integration. A high classmate of mine was lynched for dating a white girl. People just don't understand that there'was still remnants of this going on into the 70's and early 80's. Not that long ago.

I pray that one person changed because of this thread. The world would be a better place. Judging by some of the comments, it might be wishful thinking.

I hate you had to grow up witnessing this first hand or at least knowing people who had.

The demographic and opinions of this board don't quite match up with the demographics of football players and their parents in the south. Mike Leach does not have the track record of winning for something like this to be ignored. Dabo might could survive it. Maybe Saban. However, I think those coaches are in tune enough to not pull a stunt like that. A noose is just something you don't play with in the South. As a Black father, I would immediately scratch Mike Leach off the list of coaches my son could play for. Just don't see Mike Leach as having the track record of getting players in the league for me to just blow that off. Not trying to argue with you guys.. Just giving you an outlook of how a concerned black father would look at it.

You make excellent points.

Like you, I’m always just shocked to learn that a group of middle aged folks on a message board can’t quite relate to how many black Americans in the South might view a joke that includes a noose.

Shocked I tell ya...

No it’s not. This isn’t court. Leach apologized.
Leach doesn't need to do a blanket apology. He needs to look those black kids in the eye and apologize. Start calling some of those parents up and apologize. One of the parents of one of the kids that is transferring said this. The parent said if Leach would have just called him up to clear the air that he could have maybe gotten past it. With Leach saying nothing to the parent, he felt he had no choice but to pull his kid.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
”Instead of Leach being subjected to sensitivity training, maybe those who are deeply offended should be trained that symbols can have multiple meanings and context means everything. “

I can see that now. Some white guy in front of an African American church audience “teaching them” how nooses can have different meanings and they need to just “understand that” because a lot of white folks got upset that Mike Leach’s boss reprimanded him.

that sound like a heck of a plan.....:rolleyes:
Your version sounds ridiculous, but at least it would be a dialogue.

Leach doesn't need to do a blanket apology. He needs to look those black kids in the eye and apologize. Start calling some of those parents up and apologize. One of the parents of one of the kids that is transferring said this. The parent said if Leach would have just called him up to clear the air that he could have maybe gotten past it. With Leach saying nothing to the parent, he felt he had no choice but to pull his kid.

lol

I pray that one person changed because of this thread. The world would be a better place. Judging by some of the comments, it might be wishful thinking.

I hate you had to grow up witnessing this first hand or at least knowing people who had.
My parents are still alive. They are 83 and 79. They can tell you much more than I can. Many people just don't understand that there are many of us still around that lived through the heat of the Civil Rights Movement and we are not that old.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

I agree. This was more in response to the poster questioning whether or not it was appropriate.

In the end Leach needs to get the trust back of the black athletes, parents and coaches. He should’ve been aware of the history of Mississippi and known it was inappropriate. At the very least his apology needs to be sincere and personal to each player, coach, and parent.

You're laughing, but I bet you Leach will do a version of what I said if he hasn't done it already. Remember, he doesn't have to satisfy you. He needs to satisfy a whole lot of Black parents that in many respects think like me.

Reactions: SCexpat38
James Meredith is still alive. I wonder how many of you think he’s forgotten getting shot, the death threats and JFK sending in the national guard just so he could attend the University of Mississippi.

He is 83 so maybe some of you think he’s just a crazy old man.

Reactions: SCexpat38
James Meredith is still alive. I wonder how many of you think he’s forgotten getting shot, the death threats and JFK sending in the national guard just so he could attend the University of Mississippi.

He is 83 so maybe some of you think he’s just a crazy old man.

Now you're conflating all racist actions with lynching.

You're laughing, but I bet you Leach will do a version of what I said if he hasn't done it already. Remember, he doesn't have to satisfy you. He needs to satisfy a whole lot of Black parents that in many respects think like me.

Well of course he's going to do it. For exactly the reason you say: to satisfy people. It's like when I tell one of my kids to apologize to another one of my kids. They do it b/c they have to.

Is your lack of intelligence genetic, environmental or due to substance abuse?

You people drew a direct line from a tweet with a picture of a noose to lynchings. Now you're wanting to bring various other forms of racism. So now you are saying a noose is the universal symbol for any and all forms of racism?

Reactions: Expro19
You people drew a direct line from a tweet with a picture of a noose to lynchings. Now you're wanting to bring various other forms of racism. So now you are saying a noose is the universal symbol for any and all forms of racism?

At least your form of racism is well documented here.

I think you might have to buy the man dinner. I am 53. Went to school in the first year of integration. A high school classmate of mine was lynched for dating a white girl. People just don't understand that there'was still remnants of this going on into the 70's and early 80's. Not that long ago.

Damn. I'm a millennial, so I didn't grow up with any semblance of that, fortunately. Thanks for sharing your perspective. Of course, I subconsciously realize that my experience doesn't speak for everyone else's, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

So, if one of my forefathers was hanged by a noosed rope, I must be offended? Or if one of my forefathers ever suffered injustice from any other race, creed or color, they must be held in contempt and I must be offended? How far back in history do we go? I am taught to love all people everywhere, and I intend to do that, regardless. Yeah, I would proclaim this in front of any group, anytime.

So, if one of my forefathers was hanged by a noosed rope, I must be offended? Or if one of my forefathers ever suffered injustice from any other race, creed or color, they must be held in contempt and I must be offended? How far back in history do we go? I am taught to love all people everywhere, and I intend to do that, regardless. Yeah, I would proclaim this in front of any group, anytime.

You've got to his the sweet spot. That's the trick. If you don't go back far enough or if you go too far back, you find that nooses have been used to kill lots of people outside of lynchings.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

If we were talking about 1 person, we wouldn’t be talking, Wake up.

what you are taught to do is irrelevant to the topic. It’s not all about you and your experience alone.

Yeah, imagine being upset that a white millionaire coach posted a drawing of something that historically has specifically been used for racial intimidation (and worse) of black people in the American South, especially Mississippi with its troubled history of racial issues, murders, lynchings.

the nerve of those people being offended by such an innocent thing

I’m not saying fire him but it was an ignorant, insensitive thing to do.

No matter the context, for many Americans the image of a noose is never appropriate and that’s particularly true in the South and in Mississippi.

“A friend, an African-American man old enough to remember life in the segregated South, once told me of the connotation a noose has for him: “I see that and I hear, ‘This is what we’re going to do to you.’ ”

I wonder if folks just don’t ever consider how someone else might feel about such a polarizing symbol, a symbol that might have been used to illegally murder someone in their family tree. You have to be some special dumb to post something like that.

heck, half the people on this forum whine and complain when their Clemson neighbor flies a Clemson flag on their car in the summer but call people who are offended by a symbol with clear negative racial connotations as too sensitive.

Guns have been used, knives have been used, cars have been used to run people over intentionally, baseball bats have been used, etc. Everything is not racial.....but plenty make it out to be. His comment was taken by most (black and white) as the joke it was meant to be. Let one person take it the wrong way and become “outraged” and there’s enough sheep to follow.

PS: Feel free to respond but I will not be answering since this is just one of those topics/debates no one wins. Plus, no one gets their mind changed. People believe what they want to believe.

Actually, I get the joke and most black people with any sense get it as well. However, the issue is more about boundaries than anyone getting upset about racism. Leach is an outsider to the South, for one. Next, he is an outsider to the Black Community. When you are new, it is not smart to just come in saying the first thing that comes to your mind. Leach is not going to get the leeway that more established coaches in the South have to say things. That is how all relationships work even when you take race out of the equation. I am going to allow a guy that I know say more than some stranger coming in.

Yeah, imagine being upset that a white millionaire coach posted a drawing of something that historically has specifically been used for racial intimidation (and worse) of black people in the American South, especially Mississippi with its troubled history of racial issues, murders, lynchings.

the nerve of those people being offended by such an innocent thing

I’m not saying fire him but it was an ignorant, insensitive thing to do.

No matter the context, for many Americans the image of a noose is never appropriate and that’s particularly true in the South and in Mississippi.

“A friend, an African-American man old enough to remember life in the segregated South, once told me of the connotation a noose has for him: “I see that and I hear, ‘This is what we’re going to do to you.’ ”

I wonder if folks just don’t ever consider how someone else might feel about such a polarizing symbol, a symbol that might have been used to illegally murder someone in their family tree. You have to be some special dumb to post something like that.

heck, half the people on this forum whine and complain when their Clemson neighbor flies a Clemson flag on their car in the summer but call people who are offended by a symbol with clear negative racial connotations as too sensitive.

Being that you are racist trash that caused a thread to be deleted due to your bigoted comment, you are hardly in a position to give an opinion. No one asks a muddy pig for advice on cleanliness, you racist lowlife.

Guns have been used, knives have been used, cars have been used to run people over intentionally, baseball bats have been used, etc. Everything is not racial.....but plenty make it out to be. His comment was taken by most (black and white) as the joke it was meant to be. Let one person take it the wrong way and become “outraged” and there’s enough sheep to follow.

PS: Feel free to respond but I will not be answering since this is just one of those topics/debates no one wins. Plus, no one gets their mind changed. People believe what they want to believe.

I understand that a lot of people will take it as a joke. But nooses? In Mississippi?

I wanted the confederate flag down. I advocated for it. I celebrated when it came down. It meant nothing to me. But I’ve been in places where the confederate flag is displayed and I refused to make an issue of it or disrespect the person displaying it. An understanding of time and place is important for anyone.

a public employee has to realize that displaying a noose is dumb - at best.

An awareness of history, geography, and a realization that other people could be personally hurt by your actions is the least a public employee can be expected to understand.

as I said earlier, if Mike Leach, regular guy, wants to wear a shirt around with a noose on it, go for it. But he’s a public employee. He represents a program that is made up up a majority of black people that happen to play football. A BASIC understanding of the history would tell anyone that displaying a noose on anything is a poor choice.

if anyone here expects they are different, the next work day send out a meme or picture with a noose in it to all fellow employees and call it “just a joke” and expect to be amazed at the response. Just have your resume ready to go before you follow that terrible advice. I’d recommend against doing it.

Being that you are racist trash that caused a thread to be deleted due to your bigoted comment, you are hardly in a position to give an opinion. No one asks a muddy pig for advice on cleanliness, you racist lowlife.

oh quit your perpetual bellyaching.

pointing out older white men and their predilection to support Trump like a rock star groupie is not racist no matter how many times you whine about it. They also happen to be The target audience for Fox.

Well let’s say you’re 75 years old. That means you were born in 1945. So it’s possible for the first 20 years of your life you saw family members, friends, or other people of your race executed in public. Even if you’re 65 you could’ve seen it during the first ten years of your life. So I would say safely that people 60 or older could vividly remember it.

Regardless why would you not to just want to be a better person? Even if all of the people who had a parent or grandparent executed left this Earth is this humor?

Im 40. My great grandfather lived until I was in middle school. I have no doubt there are people walking this Earth that still remember family members getting executed this way. It’s a sad chapter in American history we don’t need to relive or make light of.

I'm 75 and grew up in Greenville, SC and never saw or heard of such. Yes, I've heard of lynchings but never saw or heard of one in Greenville, SC while I was a live.

Reactions: USC75Grad
I'm 75 and grew up in Greenville, SC and never saw or heard of such. Yes, I've heard of lynchings but never saw or heard of one in Greenville, SC while I was a live.

I never stated everyone 75 would. Greenville has a much less violent history in the civil rights movement compared to some places in Mississippi and Alabama.

Representative John Lewis was beaten pretty badly in Rock Hill. You didn’t see it but it’s well documented.

oh quit your perpetual bellyaching.

pointing out older white men and their predilection to support Trump like a rock star groupie is not racist no matter how many times you whine about it. They also happen to be The target audience for Fox.

And the pejoratives you used to describe them? Of course, racist garbage always have a justification for their thoughts and actions. Like the vermin that lynched innocent people, you think you have good reasons for your bigotry. Try to distract with your typical red herring Fox trope. Decent people that read your hate post want nothing to do with a vile worm like yourself.

And the pejoratives you used to describe them? Of course, racist garbage always have a justification for their thoughts and actions. Like the vermin that lynched innocent people, you think you have good reasons for your bigotry. Try to distract with your typical red herring Fox trope. Decent people that read your hate post want nothing to do with a vile worm like yourself.

perjoratives like old, white, and angry? Those are adjectives, and quite polite.

and you keep responding to me so you obviously like having something to do with me.

perjoratives like old, white, and angry? Those are adjectives, and quite polite.

and you keep responding to me so you obviously like having something to do with me.

Like society, there is a segment of this forum that accepts, indeed, endorses certain types of racism. They wear it as a badge of honor. Being that you are a documented liar, I suppose it should not be an astounding revelation that you exhibit other character flaws like your racism. I know one thing: I've never had a thread deleted because of making racist comments. You have. You should be ashamed, but that requires some measure of human decency.

I never stated everyone 75 would. Greenville has a much less violent history in the civil rights movement compared to some places in Mississippi and Alabama.

Representative John Lewis was beaten pretty badly in Rock Hill. You didn’t see it but it’s well documented.

But you stated that it was common place. Someone 75 would have had to seen a lynching as a common occurrence. And I am here to tell you that was / is not the case.

Freddie, I’ll tell you what was commonplace in gvl back then! GHS whipping PHS’ butt.......luv ya, mean it.

But GHS had to form two high schools in order to do that. LOL! I do remember some saying that GHS went to school in shifts for awhile - don't know how long that lasted.

Actually, I get the joke and most black people with any sense get it as well. However, the issue is more about boundaries than anyone getting upset about racism. Leach is an outsider to the South, for one. Next, he is an outsider to the Black Community. When you are new, it is not smart to just come in saying the first thing that comes to your mind. Leach is not going to get the leeway that more established coaches in the South have to say things. That is how all relationships work even when you take race out of the equation. I am going to allow a guy that I know say more than some stranger coming in.
I guess my question is if we can all agree there was no racist intent to the joke, and the joke isn't racist on its face, how does one ever know what symbols, regardless of context, will set people off? We say Leach should have thought about his audience, but is there not any burden on the audience to discern the speaker's position? Two people have a misunderstanding, but the burden is only on one of them to understand the other?

I think you might have to buy the man dinner. I am 53. Went to school in the first year of integration. A high school classmate of mine was lynched for dating a white girl. People just don't understand that there'was still remnants of this going on into the 70's and early 80's. Not that long ago.

Not doubting you, but can you cite a source about this lynching? I'd like to know about the case. And where did you go to school? I'm almost 50 and integration happened earlier here. And from what I understand we were the last state.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT