ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Calvi

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
Somebody refresh my memory please. When did Calvi leave USC and was it to take a head coaching job? I can't remember and not in a situation to Google. Thanks in advance for the info

Somebody refresh my memory please. When did Calvi leave USC and was it to take a head coaching job? I can't remember and not in a situation to Google. Thanks in advance for the info
He left after the 2010 season to be basically the coach in waiting at South Alabama.

What people seem to forget is that he was pretty good at developing arms, and if not for him, Roth never would have been a pitcher for us.

He left after the 2010 season to be basically the coach in waiting at South Alabama.

What people seem to forget is that he was pretty good at developing arms, and if not for him, Roth never would have been a pitcher for us.
I'd consider that 2010 pitching staff one of the best we've ever had. The way Coach Calvi utilized his pitchers was probably the biggest reason it was so good.

Last edited:
I'd consider that 2010 pitching staff one of the best we've ever had. The way Coach Calvin utilized his pitchers was the probably the biggest reason it was so good.
Instead of having the last few guys in your bullpen being guys who never play, it was a few walk-ons who threw sidearm and got outs.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Instead of having the last few guys in your bullpen being guys who never play, it was a few walk-ons who threw sidearm and got outs.
You've got that right. He had everyone prepared and ready to contribute. Lots of matchups and situational pitching.

Jose Mata and John Taylor were the two submariners you're talking about. They might not have been super talented but they were both very effective and played big roles in 2010.

Once again, he was the right guy for the job at the time. Just didn't work out....
Exactly right. Any other program in the country would have made the same move that we did. If he wouldn't have gotten the job here, he would have gotten a premium job elsewhere very soon. Hindsight is 20/20. Nice guy (met him several times over the years), but just not HC material IMO. He's a fantastic asst coach and recruiter, and was a huge part of our great run (Calvi was too before he left). Tanner and Holbrook were a great bad guy/good guy combo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT