ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Game Thread vs UGA….

Look what happens when don't foul every two seconds. But honestly how does Tom Crean still have job?
BREAKING: Tom Crean’s firing could be imminent Sources have told me that Crean failed to report a recent physical altercation between assistants. University officials are now looking into firing him for cause

NCAA Basketball: Georgia at Florida
dawgsports.com
BREAKING: Georgia Looking Into Firing Crean For Cause After He Failed to Report Physical Altercat...
Multiple sources have told DawgSports that University of Georgia officials are looking into firing Head Men’s Basketball Coach Tom Crean for cause this evening after he failed to report a physical...

I get it. Georgia was wanting to fire Crean but didn’t want to pay the buyout. So they waited until something happened that they could hang on him. It finally did. Maybe they even paid the assistants to fight, but I doubt it - most all staffs are loyal to each other with some exceptions (De Gaudio). I lean neither way on Crean, do not care what Georgia does, but if he was winning and two assistants fought, the Georgia admin would be the ones covering it up.

He won't be fired before April 1st. That's when his buyout drops to $3M (regardless of years remaining) under his renegotiated contract. That's a reduction from what it was.
So I’m curious on your thoughts on this. It was my belief that Martin was not going to be fired before April 1, but obviously this happened today. What changed to decide to speed up the process a couple of weeks and eat a couple of hundred thousand?

Reactions: vacock#
In a couple of weeks, all the good ones could be gone to Florida, LSU, Maryland, etc. Just my guess.

Or maybe there was a meeting and Frank blew up at Ray or somebody else and the biggest dog at the meeting stood up and shouted, “You’re outta here! Get the hell out!” …. That’d be the Hollywood take.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
But the buyout money comes from donors correct? How does the BOT control that? I know last year the BOT stopped it, but that was because of race more than anything.
Don't know if this buyout is from donors (my clients weren't called). The BOT refused to approve the buyout last year because some representatives in the state legislature were making hay of it during the University's request for funding for the medical school. To my knowledge it had absolutely nothing to do with race....simply funding of University projects.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Don't know if this buyout is from donors (my clients weren't called). The BOT refused to approve the buyout last year because some representatives in the state legislature were making hay of it during the University's request for funding for the medical school. To my knowledge it had absolutely nothing to do with race....simply funding of University projects.
The funding was the leverage. The power to control that money was basically blackmailing the school. The representatives involved tried to muddy the waters and bring the race card into this. It's what politicians do. I'll bet the title to my property that race will be brought up before we hire someone if the person isn't a minority. Personally I think we need to hire BJ or Mike for several reasons and race is one of them. There's nothing wrong with saying that either. I just really believe some old white guy isn't the answer for us right now. Btw, I'm an old white guy. Not hating on us, just thinking out loud what I think it will take to become a winner.

Reactions: rogue cock
I’m an old white guy and I agree. Get the best coach and not an old white guy or an old black guy. Get the best. Now, what is old? To me, somebody older than 60. That leaves out Pitino, Lefty, Cliff, etc. Not saying a 65 yr old coach couldnt come in and do the job. I use no metrics or any other method to come upon that. Just an opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT