ADVERTISEMENT

McClendon Plus Werner = Positive Move Forward

What is the name of the person you would have hired, what made that person better than McLendon, and why are you sure he would have been the right fit with current personnel and players. Last question for you...the person you describe above..which recruiting territory is he familiar with and how familiar is he with current recruits and how familiar are the current recruits with him?

Please be specific with your answers.
Drinkwitz, Fitch, Longo, Lashlee. All proven, more experienced, with Southern recruiting ties.

Sure it is. Go look at any board other than Bama, UGA, and perhaps Clemson.

McClendon turns down Tenn.. and today is SC's coord. that was a " Champ , if you dont make me OC, i'm outta here"

hope it works out

I see know reason to be prematurely pessimistic about this. Let it play out. I'm going to be hopeful until and unless there's reason not to be. I think football is going to be OK. Now we've got to fix basketball, and don't throw up Final Four to me, either.

there's no alternative..most are lifelong fans and thats not going to change

Fingers and toes crossed....but a huge, HUGE, risk.

reeks of desperation hire by a defensive minded coach, making his last HC stop if this gig doesnt work out, keeping one of his top recruiters with no OC experience happy and from leaving for another lateral job.

CavDad62Member
New

Tell you what...give me a $3.3 Million a year contract and I'll get into specifics.

I just LOVE it when that is our fans' first response to criticism: "Well, who exactly would you hire/what exactly would you do differently?"

We heard it for 3 years when Tanner faced criticism for keeping Holbrook. We heard it 2 years ago when some fans weren't happy with the Muschamp hiring. I'm sure this won't be the last time we hear it.

A fan is allowed to be critical without having all of the answers. It isn't the duty of a fan to spend hours a day, for weeks on end, researching coaches or conducting interviews.
Everybody please read the last paragraph of this post.."A fan is allowed to be critical without having all of the answers. It isn't the duty of a fan to spend hours a day, for weekson end,researching coaches or conducting interviews."

And there you have it..."fans" don't know the process, the details, didn't do research or interviews, don't know the coaches involved, the recruiting angles, the relationships, the details, or anything at all about the decision. But have every right to complain about the decisions are from those who do know all the details. Priceless...and yet typical.

Yet they know enough to know...The individual hired has “zero” experience with coordinating an offense. A newbie at calling plays.

..and when you roll dice, the odds of crapping out are greater
There aren't many coaching personnel decisions that don't involve an element of risk - for one reason or another. McClendon seems to have his head together and they are bringing in an old head to help him. Let's watch and see. The bitching option is always available.

Reactions: Gradstudent
There aren't many coaching personnel decisions that don't involve an element of risk - for one reason or another. McClendon seems to have his head together and they are bringing in an old head to help him. Let's watch and see. The bitching option is always available.

sure, lets watch and hope that experience doesnt matter..we have no choice

So more of the same....that should work well.

Really a shame but we will be hiring a new HC in about 3 years and starting over again. I have to admit, it takes a certain amount of near insanity to be unwilling to change something which has been your downfall once already and is going to lead to another firing.

We are so badly coached on offense technique-wise and the scheme has been so generic\bad that simply promoting the staff responsible for the trainwreck to fix it is unbelievable.

What is the name of the person you would have hired, what made that person better than McLendon, and why are you sure he would have been the right fit with current personnel and players. Last question for you...the person you describe above..which recruiting territory is he familiar with and how familiar is he with current recruits and how familiar are the current recruits with him?

Please be specific with your answers.

4a50b27b40a7d249ff465e819e8ec61d32ccb5979bb5cbc59fff698af95e3154.jpg

“In times of rapid change, experience could be your worst enemy.”

- J. Paul Getty

“In times of rapid change, experience could be your worst enemy.”

- J. Paul Getty

J. Paul Getty, the same sweetheart who refused to pay a ransom for his kidnapped son, until the kidnappers sent his ear in a box to his Dad...:(

I think BMac and Werner are a good combo. Like most people, I wasn't impressed with BMac, especially in the first half of the bowl game. But adjustments were made and like any good Coordinator does, found a way to win. Against a top 5 defense. In 1 month of prep time. With less talent on offense. So yes. He changed my mind and I'm looking forward to 2018

sure, lets watch and hope that experience doesnt matter..we have no choice
He's not exactly bereft of experience - or at least exposure. Let it play out. We can moan and groan next year - and maybe we won't have to. Besides, there are other issues.

First, I trust Muschamp. He knows his job is on the line with this hire.

I like McLendon at OC. The continuity. The recruiting. The coaching. He has taken two new roles in two bowl games and won both. I think he will be innovative and already knows the personnel.

I like Werner. Like his history. Like his numbers he has put up at previous stops.

These two working together should boost offensive performance. Looking forward to the new, improved product.

Two questions: Why do you trust Muschamp when it comes hiring an OC? Two, why is "continuity" a good thing here?

I know you will answer "recruiting" for the second, but while McClendon has done OK in that area, is not as if he has set the bar so high, a new coach couldn't at least match it.

Two questions: Why do you trust Muschamp when it comes hiring an OC? Two, why is "continuity" a good thing here?
Relationships, with current players, former players who help you recruit, with recruits, high school coaches, staff. Overall continuity when you are winning is a good thing. Fix what's broken; don't overhaul the engine unnecessarily.

Relationships, with current players, former players who help you recruit, with recruits, high school coaches, staff. Overall continuity when you are winning is a good thing. Fix what's broken; don't overhaul the engine unnecessarily.

Yeah, that doesn't do it for me. Mainly because we need a clean break from Roper. In the bowl game, I still saw to many telegraphed run plays against stacked run defenses on 3 and short. They didn't work for Roper and they didn't work for McClendon. Tell me you honestly didn't see that and get frustrated, I've read your post, you pay attention and aren't an automatic fall in line cheerleader type like most in this thread.

He's not exactly bereft of experience - or at least exposure. Let it play out. We can moan and groan next year - and maybe we won't have to. Besides, there are other issues.

mincing words there...you know what i mean..NO OC experience
this SC program, who is trying to recover from the debacle of 2014-15..takes a flier on an position coach to be their OC

you're right, fans have no option but to "let it play out" and hope for the best

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Yeah, that doesn't do it for me. Mainly because we need a clean break from Roper. In the bowl game, I still saw to many telegraphed run plays against stacked run defenses on 3 and short. They didn't work for Roper and they didn't work for McClendon. Tell me you honestly didn't see that and get frustrated, I've read your post, you pay attention and aren't an automatic fall in line cheerleader type like most in this thread.

I'll gladly eat crow if it works, I honestly want to be wrong here.

I like McLendon at OC. The continuity. The recruiting. The coaching. He has taken two new roles in two bowl games and won both. I think he will be innovative and already knows the personnel.

I like Werner. Like his history. Like his numbers he has put up at previous stops.

These two working together should boost offensive performance. Looking forward to the new, improved product.
Most things are better than 107th offensively.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
our sometimes hysterical fanbase has historically had little appreciation for "continuity"

Good choices IMO

So just to recap:

The Cons
Fans that have done no research, have no insight and no knowledge don't like this hire.
Fans that feel this is a desperate move to keep other programs from hiring away an up and coming hot commodity.
Fans that feel Werner is nobody despite a solid resume.

The Pros
Coaches who have done research, have insight and knowledge are willing to put careers on line for this hire.
We keep an up and coming hot commodity.
Werner has a solid resume

No, I'm not. I guess I've come to a place now where I think football is proceeding satisfactorily until I see otherwise, and I'm truly concerned about our basketball and very curious about baseball. Seasons, you know. Really looking forward to spring football, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT