ADVERTISEMENT

McClendon Plus Werner = Positive Move Forward

So just to recap:

The Cons
Fans that have done no research, have no insight and no knowledge don't like this hire.
Fans that feel this is a desperate move to keep other programs from hiring away an up and coming hot commodity.
Fans that feel Werner is nobody despite a solid resume.

The Pros
Coaches who have done research, have insight and knowledge are willing to put careers on line for this hire.
We keep an up and coming hot commodity.
Werner has a solid resume

careful, logic can get mixed reviews........ I'm with you! & I have watched us struggle on short yardage since Lattimore worked here.

Reactions: bc_cock
So you telling me that we have worst talent than the last place team in the ACC (Syracuse) who ran up over 500 yds offense and 30 pts on the taters while we couldn't even get first down until the 4th quarter...

Who told you such things? This is usually the go to excuse from coaches who simply aren't getting it done.....I have heard it repeatedly even in local high schools where time after time coaches are let off the hook by everyone saying 'well they just don't have the kids in that school' while 6 miles down the road another school with the same "type" kids are winning titles....then that school stumbles upon hiring some guy, suddenly starts winning and everybody is like WTF, I guess they did have those type kids.
On

Syracuse? Really? Upsets happen. Could Syracuse beat us? I doubt it. But they might.
So you telling me that we have worst talent than the last place team in the ACC (Syracuse) who ran up over 500 yds offense and 30 pts on the taters while we couldn't even get first down until the 4th quarter...

Who told you such things? This is usually the go to excuse from coaches who simply aren't getting it done.....I have heard it repeatedly even in local high schools where time after time coaches are let off the hook by everyone saying 'well they just don't have the kids in that school' while 6 miles down the road another school with the same "type" kids are winning titles....then that school stumbles upon hiring some guy, suddenly starts winning and everybody is like WTF, I guess they did have those type kids.
News flash....sometimes.....upsets....happen.
Syracuse? Really? One game upset is how you measure a program? Syracuse 4-8 season showed their talent level. Just because they beat Clemson in a huge upset means nothing. Could Syracuse beat us? I doubt it. We have better talent than Syracuse. But are behind talent wise behind at least half the SEC. You can't outcoach teams in the SEC consistently with inferior talent. So hiring a big name OC is pointless unless he can also bring in the talent. BMac
Is a top level recruiter. There is no magic fix. You can't turn a team with a below average offensive line into a powerhouse by simply calling different plays. Although many on this board think that is the case.

Stop deflecting. Answer the question.
I'm not deflecting anything. I'm not the poster to whom you posed the question. I'm not openly complaining about the OC hire, either. I'm not crazy about it, but I understand it.
But still, I would hope Muschamp, Tanner, or whoever else is in charge of personnel decisions would research and interview plenty of people to determine their candidate. Why would you expect a fan to have an answer when they aren't given access to these resources?

Yeah, that doesn't do it for me. Mainly because we need a clean break from Roper. In the bowl game, I still saw to many telegraphed run plays against stacked run defenses on 3 and short. They didn't work for Roper and they didn't work for McClendon. Tell me you honestly didn't see that and get frustrated, I've read your post, you pay attention and aren't an automatic fall in line cheerleader type like most in this thread.

Hard to change the O much with just two weeks of real practice. Like I said in another thread, this O will be limited by the poor quality of the OL. We need to improve that before you see much improvement in the O regardless who the OC is. I think Eric will get it done on the OL, but it won't be a quick fix. I just talked to a big Ole Miss booster who said Werner is an excellent coach and had a lot of influence on a record setting Ole Miss offense. He made Kelly a good college QB, something the Clemson staff couldn't do. Evidently he had a lot of influence on the Ole Miss O which is good news. I don't know much at all about BMac as a coordinator. But if they run the Ole Miss style O, I will be happy.

Reactions: heavycock
Hard to change the O much with just two weeks of real practice. Like I said in another thread, this O will be limited by the poor quality of the OL. We need to improve that before you see much improvement in the O regardless who the OC is. I think Eric will get it done on the OL, but it won't be a quick fix. I just talked to a big Ole Miss booster who said Werner is an excellent coach and had a lot of influence on a record setting Ole Miss offense. He made Kelly a good college QB, something the Clemson staff couldn't do. Evidently he had a lot of influence on the Ole Miss O which is good news. I don't know much at all about BMac as a coordinator. But if they run the Ole Miss style O, I will be happy.

That's the canned Roper support post, did you seriously not see us try at least 4 runs up the middle on a stacked 8 in the box Michigan top 5 defense Monday? Thats not the line or the backs fault, that bad play calling. Look, I honestly like and sincerely hope McClendon succeeds, but try to take your garnett colored glasses off and look at this objectively, then tell me that some of the play calling in the bowl game didn't give you concerns about promoting McClendon. Be honest.

No, I'm not. I guess I've come to a place now where I think football is proceeding satisfactorily until I see otherwise, and I'm truly concerned about our basketball and very curious about baseball. Seasons, you know. Really looking forward to spring football, though.

Really surprised you would duck a question with a BS smoke screen.

That's the canned Roper support post, did you seriously not see us try at least 4 runs up the middle on a stacked 8 in the box Michigan top 5 defense Monday? Thats not the line or the backs fault, that bad play calling. Look, I honestly like and sincerely hope McClendon succeeds, but try to take your garnett colored glasses off and look at this objectively, then tell me that some of the play calling in the bowl game didn't give you concerns about promoting McClendon. Be honest.

Speed option to Dowdle, Screen pass to Dowdle. Naked Bootleg to Hayden. Adjusting the protection in order to throw the Bomb to Shi. I totally agree I am still worried about our short yardage conversion.

Reactions: jimnasium
Speed option to Dowdle, Screen pass to Dowdle. Naked Bootleg to Hayden. Adjusting the protection in order to throw the Bomb to Shi. I totally agree I am still worried about our short yardage conversion.

Thank you, that's all I was trying to say. It's still impossible for us to know just how much of that is Muschamp's philosophy. I sincerely hope McClendon succeds.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Everybody please read the last paragraph of this post.."A fan is allowed to be critical without having all of the answers. It isn't the duty of a fan to spend hours a day, for weekson end,researching coaches or conducting interviews."

And there you have it..."fans" don't know the process, the details, didn't do research or interviews, don't know the coaches involved, the recruiting angles, the relationships, the details, or anything at all about the decision. But have every right to complain about the decisions are from those who do know all the details. Priceless...and yet typical.
First, let me say I haven't complained about this hiring...but I understand those who have. And no, 'fans' DON'T understand everything involved in the decision. Still, fans who blindly follow in-step with everything their coaches/admins do are fools.

I don't know everything involved in writing, casting, financing, producing, or distributing a movie...but no one would complain about a 'fan' expecting the worst from a Ewe Boll film, based on the video game Tetris, starring Screech from Saved by the Bell.

So far, based on what he has done in 2 years at USC, Muschamp has earned a fair amount of trust. I doubt we will see fans picketing the football office holding "No More McClendon", and no one has started up FireWillMuschamp.com. But don't expect 100% of the fan base to be gung ho about the hire...and expecting every fan who doesn't like the hire to have their own short-list of qualified, vetted candidates is just as ridiculous.

So more of the same....that should work well.

Really a shame but we will be hiring a new HC in about 3 years and starting over again. I have to admit, it takes a certain amount of near insanity to be unwilling to change something which has been your downfall once already and is going to lead to another firing.

We are so badly coached on offense technique-wise and the scheme has been so generic\bad that simply promoting the staff responsible for the trainwreck to fix it is unbelievable.

Unless Muschamp's recruiting falls off which I don't think will happen unless the defense tanks, most Gamecock fans will be happy with a slow and steady improvement in the offense.

i did like it when he said he will be coaching a veteran offensive team now.....( not verbatim, but accurate)

Reactions: king ward
We will be fine we can't judge an OC on one game when it was impossible to implement his offense entirely. We need his recruiting too so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Good call.
Yep, one game isn't enough to judge a coach. That's why this is a huge gamble.

We knew - well, I knew - that Roper sucked. He had a long history of offenses ranked in the bottom 25% nationally. BM at least is an unknown. Nevertheless, a buddy hire is risky considering muschamp's consistently terrible offensive production.

Our concerns next year should be a little more on the defensive side. Got some key people to replace.

although Sawyer was valuable for several seasons and Jones came on this year, they can be replaced .... King definitely replaceable and will miss Lammons a little, but those defense spots should be filled with no problem.

Moore is of course the one Sc miss the most

First, let me say I haven't complained about this hiring...but I understand those who have. And no, 'fans' DON'T understand everything involved in the decision. Still, fans who blindly follow in-step with everything their coaches/admins do are fools.

I don't know everything involved in writing, casting, financing, producing, or distributing a movie...but no one would complain about a 'fan' expecting the worst from a Ewe Boll film, based on the video game Tetris, starring Screech from Saved by the Bell.

So far, based on what he has done in 2 years at USC, Muschamp has earned a fair amount of trust. I doubt we will see fans picketing the football office holding "No More McClendon", and no one has started up FireWillMuschamp.com. But don't expect 100% of the fan base to be gung ho about the hire...and expecting every fan who doesn't like the hire to have their own short-list of qualified, vetted candidates is just as ridiculous.
I guess you're right...just whining and moaning about something you don't like without providing reasons why (other than Fire Tanner, it's the Garnet Way, same ole same ole) and not providing alternative solutions is a much more mature, adult way to voice opposition.

I provided some reasons why I like the hire...and understand that we all have different opinions. Nobody knows if this hire will work out. Heck, I laughed at Clemson for hiring a wide receiver coach to run their program...and still felt good about it until about 4 years ago. I thought the Brad Scott hire as USC head coach was a great hire at the time because he had all the credentials and lineage. Oops. So no, the future can't be predicted, regardless of who we had hired. McClendon doesn't have experience at the job...one reason I really like the Werner hire. I also like the continuity with our staff. For years, we have complained about coaching turnover. Now we keep someone and we bash the staff.

But, instead of whining and general comments that don't take any thought or reasoning as to why someone doesn't like the hire, it makes for a livlier discussion when someone actually puts some thought into it.

Google Coach Fitch, Google whatever coach you think would be good, review his track record for just 5 minutes, then present an opinion.

Such as..."I was hoping we would hire K. Briles because, in 4 years with him as the offensive coordinator, his offense went from 7th in the league in total offense to 2nd, increased scoring offense by 9 points per game, and has coach two QBs who were in running for the Heisman. Plus, he is the top recruiter for his team and has coaching and players relationships across the southeast."

All that is fictional...but the point is made. Spend 5 minutes to develop some line of reasoning why you don't like who they hired and who you like and why.

Doesn't take long...and if you have 5 minutes to post on here, you have 5 minutes to do a dang Google search.

Or you could just whine and complain without thinking. Makes for a lot better conversation lol.

I don't blindly follow anyone but Jesus Christ. But as far as USC sports is concerned, they (all staff) get paid to make decisions and coach teams. I can either support the program and be hopeful or be continually pessimistic that they didn't make a move in the program that me, as a safety engineer at a plant, agrees with. Yep, I think I will defer to their knowledge, provide my scholarship, buy my tickets, a enjoy yearly visits to WB. Not blindly following and not always agreeing with 100% of everything, but forever loyal and Forever To Thee.

Please...if fans don't like the hire, at least spend 5 minutes supporting your reason why and supporting your choice candidate. Not to try to change opinions, but to at least show that there is more thought put into the oppostion than I've seen so far.

although Sawyer was valuable for several seasons and Jones came on this year, they can be replaced .... King definitely replaceable and will miss Lammons a little, but those defense spots should be filled with no problem.

Moore is of course the one Sc miss the most
Yep. Proud of him.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

well put

Positives...from the outside looking in...

- continuity. On the first day of Spring practice, the offense will be ready to go regarding terminology, relationships, etc.

- recruiting. One of the best recruiters in the southeast. Continued relationships with players and schools that he has built up...relationships with players probably through the 2022 high school class.

- confidence. Evidently, Muschamp has confidence in him. That's good enough for me. His position players have full confidence and belief in him, at least from what they've said.

- coaching. Proven coach at previous stops and coaching the WRs at USC. He has also adjusted to new roles twice for bowl games and succeeded both times.

- want to. He said he wants to be here. Doesn't want to look at things as a stepping stone. I'm glad to habe people that want to be here.

- support hire. Much more at ease with this move with the Werner hire. His hire, in my opinion, will only improve Bentley and the offensive approach.

Things that concern me...

- inexperience. I don't know what has gone on at practice and games over the last few years, but it is true that he does not have much official game OC experience.

- breaking away from recent tendencies. Being from the staff, he may feel comfortable playing close to how we've played before. Again, hoping the Werner hire, and a little bit of letting go by Muschamp, will open things up a little.

Other thoughts...

Plenty of good coaches in the country. I would be excited, and concerned, about any coach we would have hired. Some of the worries would be...how does he get a long with the rest of the coaching staff, will he be new to recruiting areas and players and risk losing relationships with them, does he even come from this part of the country where he knows the recruiting field and players, lots of possible terminology change that will cause our current offensive players and staff to re-think things this slowing progress and growth.

Hard to know any of those answers. There are some concerns with McClendon. There would be concerns with others for different reasons. All-in-all, I like the hire and will focus on the positives mentioned above. The proof will be evident on the field.

I like the fact that we open with Coastal Carolina this year. I've always liked playing a less stressful opponent in the opener for several reasons. I like the timing for this one, especially with the new OC, regardless of who it would have been.

The trenches. In our conference, the line of scrimmage rules the game. Whoever our QB is, our RBs are, or the OC is, we have to continually improve across the offensive line. Hard for Peyton Manning to throw when he is running for his life or for Barry Sanders to run when he's getting nailed in the backfield. Regardless of the OC, must improve the LOS.

That won't work with me, Partner. It will only make me less inclined to engage with you as we move forward, which we will. My responses today are a reflection of where I am - today.

Honestly, I really don't give a $hit if you engage with me or not. I really expected a more thought out honest response from you and really don't care if its one different from mine as long as don't feel like I wasted my time reading a BS canned answer. My mistake, I thought you were someone else.

Positives...from the outside looking in...

- continuity. On the first day of Spring practice, the offense will be ready to go regarding terminology, relationships, etc.
Why would we want continuity from the 107th offense in the country.

- recruiting. One of the best recruiters in the southeast. Continued relationships with players and schools that he has built up...relationships with players probably through the 2022 high school class.
I'm sure he's fine recruiter , but it's not a big enough reason to make the hire. We could definitely find an OC that could do both coach and recruit.

- confidence. Evidently, Muschamp has confidence in him. That's good enough for me. His position players have full confidence and belief in him, at least from what they've said.
You think Muschamp didn't have confidence in Roper? That reason is ridiculous.

- coaching. Proven coach at previous stops and coaching the WRs at USC. He has also adjusted to new roles twice for bowl games and succeeded both times.
Proven is too strong of a word here, I saw a mixed bag from the bowl game, some of it really suspect some of it encouraging. I think that's what most objective people saw too, if they are honest. Having said that, I'm sure McClendon learned a lot from the experience.

- want to. He said he wants to be here. Doesn't want to look at things as a stepping stone. I'm glad to habe people that want to be here.
Really???Come on, what did you think he would say? If he doesn't want to learn here in preparation for a HC job in the future, I damn sure don't want him.

- support hire. Much more at ease with this move with the Werner hire. His hire, in my opinion, will only improve Bentley and the offensive approach.
I hope you are right, this is one where you maybe on track, I hope so.

Things that concern me...

- inexperience. I don't know what has gone on at practice and games over the last few years, but it is true that he does not have much official game OC experience.
Maybe, but it's not my main concern.

- breaking away from recent tendencies. Being from the staff, he may feel comfortable playing close to how we've played before. Again, hoping the Werner hire, and a little bit of letting go by Muschamp, will open things up a little.
Now you've hit on my biggest concern. The fact that he's been there means that Muschamp views him in a certain way, as a young position coach and someone he can control. Will he have the balls to stand up to Muschamp when they disagree about a game plan or play call? My concern is that he won't be assertive/brave enough to stand up for what he believes is best for his offense when is in contradiction to what Muschamp calls for. You get the feeling Muschamp's philosophy is for the offense to protect the defense first and score second, that's great for a defense , but it really ties the hands of the OC. That was fine with Roper, apparently, but we really need someone that puts the offense first and and will not be intimidated by Boom. In short , Maybe McClendon won't be a "yes man" . I hope not, I do like McClendon and I love my Gamecocks, I sincerely hope this works.

Other thoughts...

Plenty of good coaches in the country. I would be excited, and concerned, about any coach we would have hired. Some of the worries would be...how does he get a long with the rest of the coaching staff, will he be new to recruiting areas and players and risk losing relationships with them, does he even come from this part of the country where he knows the recruiting field and players, lots of possible terminology change that will cause our current offensive players and staff to re-think things this slowing progress and growth.

Hard to know any of those answers. There are some concerns with McClendon. There would be concerns with others for different reasons. All-in-all, I like the hire and will focus on the positives mentioned above. The proof will be evident on the field.

I like the fact that we open with Coastal Carolina this year. I've always liked playing a less stressful opponent in the opener for several reasons. I like the timing for this one, especially with the new OC, regardless of who it would have been.

The trenches. In our conference, the line of scrimmage rules the game. Whoever our QB is, our RBs are, or the OC is, we have to continually improve across the offensive line. Hard for Peyton Manning to throw when he is running for his life or for Barry Sanders to run when he's getting nailed in the backfield. Regardless of the OC, must improve the LOS.

Dude, you do tend to ramble. Remember your audience, we are dumb football fans, but I do appreciate the effort and the thought you put into your post.

Honestly, I really don't give a $hit if you engage with me or not. I really expected a more thought out honest response from you and really don't care if its one different from mine as long as don't feel like I wasted my time reading a BS canned answer. My mistake, I thought you were someone else.
How you feel is not my problem. With me, you get a completely honest opinion all the time based upon my perception when the opinion is given. And in this instance, it's evident that, had my views reflected your expectations or desires, this conversation wouldn't have taken this turn. In that case, why should it? Good evening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT