ADVERTISEMENT

Mens Bball news picking up

Frank's inability to build any consistency here shows/solidifies why many say the Carolina basketball job is one of the hardest or even worst jobs in all of college basketball. Eddie Fowler's comments on the Carolina program looks to be spot on which doesn't sit well with many. But reality is what it is.

Who is Eddie Fowler? SC has been to a final four in the past four years.....I would say that shows potential to any coach.

I guess the real question is it reasonable for Carolina BB to make the tourney every 3-4 years? I think it is but it’s never happened before so is it reasonable?

We won more games because we played more games. We won the ACC and were undefeated in the conference in 69/70 and finished #6. The next year, we won the ACC tournament and went to the Sweet 16 and finished #6. One of the years you referenced we finished tied for third in the conference, went to the NIT and finished unranked. The next year, we finished 6.

So, no.
You only had to win like 1 tournament game at that time to make the sweet 16- the trip to the final four dramatically dwarfs all of those accomplishments.

• Haha
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If we let Martin go, does anyone believe we could get a coach who has been in the final four within the past 5 years to come here? If you do think so, please give us names and reasons because I certainly do not think that would happen. We would likely be getting some up and coming assistant who has never been a HC, which- if the reception Beamer got on this forum from some of the more vocal morons circulating is any indication- would not be received by many as an upgrade. I’d be all for a change if we had an exciting hire waiting in the wings. We do not... As such it would certainly be three steps back before we see any steps forward (if we ever do). Martin has not been my favorite coach, I wish we were doing better but the covid complications we have seen coupled with his recent success on a level we have never seen here means the job is his if he wants to return next year. Assuming next year is more normal, if we do not make the dance then, I feel confident a change will be seriously considered if not guaranteed...

• Haha
Reactions: LCD1
Maybe we are just so bad, so unlucky, so undeserving, so cursed, so and so that 1 tourney a decade is now an acceptable season for a LARGE D1 University like us.......Well,For many of you it is very acceptable, for me it is not even close to acceptable. I would support closing MBB program down if this is the best we can expect. Think of the years of hope and optimism turned to misery you would not have to experience anymore cuz it is still coming at us.

You're right. Frank Martin was more successful than Frank McGuire at SC.

Back on planet Earth...
Without Frank McGuire in Columbia, there is no Frank Martin.
You only had to win like 1 tournament game at that time to make the sweet 16- the trip to the final four dramatically dwarfs all of those accomplishments.
The farther it gets in the rearview mirror, the less significant it is. If McGuire's national championship at UNC had been their only one ever, it would be a miniscule footnote by now. You can only get so much mileage out of a single achievement.

We won more games because we played more games. We won the ACC and were undefeated in the conference in 69/70 and finished #6. The next year, we won the ACC tournament and went to the Sweet 16 and finished #6. One of the years you referenced we finished tied for third in the conference, went to the NIT and finished unranked. The next year, we finished 6.

So, no.

You do realize only 25 teams were in the tournament, and our bye put us in the sweet 16 by default. We went 0-2.

Reactions: feeble2001
If we let Martin go, does anyone believe we could get a coach who has been in the final four within the past 5 years to come here? If you do think so, please give us names and reasons because I certainly do not think that would happen. We would likely be getting some up and coming assistant who has never been a HC, which- if the reception Beamer got on this forum from some of the more vocal morons circulating is any indication- would not be received by many as an upgrade. I’d be all for a change if we had an exciting hire waiting in the wings. We do not... As such it would certainly be three steps back before we see any steps forward (if we ever do). Martin has not been my favorite coach, I wish we were doing better but the covid complications we have seen coupled with his recent success on a level we have never seen here means the job is his if he wants to return next year. Assuming next year is more normal, if we do not make the dance then, I feel confident a change will be seriously considered if not guaranteed...
This is very fair @Gamecock Lifer
I was thinking about this today on the way home from work. My response to myself was Frank Martin has taken me from watching Carolina Basketball to just keeping up with Carolina Basketball to just checking in with Carolina Basketball to looking at the score the next morning to not even checking if we had a game.
It is time for a change. I personally don't care if it's better or worse, as long as it's different. At this point I have 99 percent tuned out of the program.
Of course we all want improvement. I am willing to chance a change.

The farther it gets in the rearview mirror, the less significant it is. If McGuire's national championship at UNC had been their only one ever, it would be a miniscule footnote by now. You can only get so much mileage out of a single achievement.

so... 4 years is enough time to diminish the back to back record setting/breaking seasons and a final 4 berth, but 51 years is not enough to diminish Mcguire’s two good seasons with dramatically less NCAA tournament success? That does not compute. Sounds like the opposite of recency bias. Mcguire did big things here, Martin exceeded what he did in 2017.

Reactions: Silverspur02
I was thinking about this today on the way home from work. My response to myself was Frank Martin has taken me from watching Carolina Basketball to just keeping up with Carolina Basketball to just checking in with Carolina Basketball to looking at the score the next morning to not even checking if we had a game.
It is time for a change. I personally don't care if it's better or worse, as long as it's different. At this point I have 99 percent tuned out of the program.
You don't care if it's worse? That's odd.

I agree with every thing you said honestly and feel mostly the same broadly speaking.
I would like a change too, as I said in my first post on this thread I just 1- highly doubt we get it now and will not get my hopes up for it and 2- do not see who we could hire that is an upgrade. I’d be all for change if we had a good answer to that second question and had a defensible position to make the move from. It would seem insanely calloused if we replaced both major program coaches during this pandemic especially in light of what this basketball team has been through. I was shocked we made the move on WM TBH, even though FB did not have nearly as rough of a go with covid as basketball has.

Reactions: PC31
We got hot a few games. That's it. It was fun but nobody cares now. There aren't conference championships or more trips to the tournament or banners or recruits to show for it. Our conference recruiting ranking is 13. Nationally, we're 99.

Serious question, with recent/current recruiting, our returning roster next year, what on earth makes you see improvement in our near future where we have a chance to even make the NIT? Frank had one good run, it's done, over and he failed to capitalize on it by enhancing our recruiting. The past 4 years since the run is proof within itself that we haven't parlayed it into anything

Serious question, with recent/current recruiting, our returning roster next year, what on earth makes you see improvement in our near future where we have a chance to even make the NIT? Frank had one good run, it's done, over and he failed to capitalize on it by enhancing our recruiting. The past 4 years since the run is proof within itself that we haven't parlayed it into anything
It must be pretty boring up there in Alaska since you're posting the same thing over and over.

Reactions: feeble2001
Where did I say I foresee improvement in the near future? I don’t see that and have not predicted it- whether we keep Frank or let him go. I think you are confusing my explanations for why I don’t see us making a change with me expressing support for him. I want us to win. I don’t particularly care who the coach is. I am just saying I do not see us replacing Martin with a dramatic upgrade if we make a change now. Especially with his respect in the coaching community and especially in light of the health issues this team suffered this year. I understand the fans wanting more- I am one of them that wants more- I just don’t think coaches would be clamoring to take over a program that has struggled like ours has historically after we fired a big name guy like Martin in the midst of a pandemic that clearly had a clear, dramatic negative impact on his health and the success of this team.

Where were we when Frank took over? Then we went to a final four. How is that not building a program?!?! He did not sustain it here. That’s the issue we have with Frank.

Program? If we all remember correctly USC was squarely a bubble team when they exited the SEC tournament that year. People were sweating bullets that they may not get in. Then the team went on a very unexpected two week hot streak to get to the final four. A nice little run, but hardly the building of a program.

It must be pretty boring up there in Alaska since you're posting the same thing over and over.
I do more things in a week than you do in a year. And of course I'm sure you have never been to alaska, so you have no idea how "boring" it is. But I'm sure you don't enjoy world class fishing, world class hunting, world class skiing and world class scenery so to you, yes you might consider it boring!

so... 4 years is enough time to diminish the back to back record setting/breaking seasons and a final 4 berth, but 51 years is not enough to diminish Mcguire’s two good seasons with dramatically less NCAA tournament success? That does not compute. Sounds like the opposite of recency bias. Mcguire did big things here, Martin exceeded what he did in 2017.
Frank McGuire had more than 2 good seasons. Frank Martin is the coach with only 2 good seasons. Still though, Frank Martin has raised the program from where it was in the 20 years preceding his arrival.

To answer your other question, yes, in Frank Martin's case, the FF is considerably less significant than it was at the time. The unwritten story I would like to read one day is why that happened. How is it that Frank Martin was not able to capitalize on the 2016-2017 season by bringing in 2 great classes of recruits?

I just get tired watching a BB team where none of the players can make an open 15 footer or never make 70% of their FT's. So it's usually not much view time. Why give a coach 3 mil a year for this?

Indeed, he did not. South Carolina had never been anything ever in basketball when Frank McGuire got here and he brought us to a national prominence that lasted for several years while we were playing in arguably the best conference in America. So while time might have diminished the McGuire achievements, Martin's, primarily confined to one year, have evaporated faster and more completely.

Maybe we are just so bad, so unlucky, so undeserving, so cursed, so and so that 1 tourney a decade is now an acceptable season for a LARGE D1 University like us.......Well,For many of you it is very acceptable, for me it is not even close to acceptable. I would support closing MBB program down if this is the best we can expect. Think of the years of hope and optimism turned to misery you would not have to experience anymore cuz it is still coming at us.

I agree. Close the MBB program down. That or let Ray go.

The players can go elsewhere where they have a better shot at the NBA.

Frank McGuire had more than 2 good seasons. Frank Martin is the coach with only 2 good seasons. Still though, Frank Martin has raised the program from where it was in the 20 years preceding his arrival.

To answer your other question, yes, in Frank Martin's case, the FF is considerably less significant than it was at the time. The unwritten story I would like to read one day is why that happened. How is it that Frank Martin was not able to capitalize on the 2016-2017 season by bringing in 2 great classes of recruits?
Loyola Chicago Ramblers went to the Final Four in 2018. Yeah.

I do more things in a week than you do in a year. And of course I'm sure you have never been to alaska, so you have no idea how "boring" it is. But I'm sure you don't enjoy world class fishing, world class hunting, world class skiing and world class scenery so to you, yes you might consider it boring!
Me thinks you doth protest too much

He’s right you should probably find a hobby
Deflect from the facts I see, when you don't have a response you revert to personal attacks. Our basketball team sucks, whether you like it or not. I'm glad you know that I'm lacking hobbies, it has been a few months since I bagged a 14,000 ft peak so maybe you're right.

Reactions: ForeUSC
Maybe Ray Tanner should ask Dawn Staley what we should do. Seriously. If you have a championship team why would you ask her WTF she would do?

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I just feel that Frank Martin is a dated coach for the times. This is not the Big 10 in the 80’s when you had Gene Keady, Judd Heathcoate, and Bobby Knight trying to will kids to win through fear. Kids today just don’t respond well to that sort of instruction for the most part. Sadly, my feelings about this hire from the beginning are playing out. I would like our program to win. Unfortunately, some seem to value the image of not being wusses over winning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT