ADVERTISEMENT

Mens Bball news picking up

Basically you're giving him the Covid card this year, but you have the same group next year minus Lawson. Unless someone turns into a shooting machine, it will be more of the same.

Given freshmen don't produce much in Frank's system, next year's roster is a concern unless he can find another Booker through the portal, maybe two Bookers.

I think we should - and I think we have to. PR.
I respectfully disagree. I don't think the PR hit would be much. We all expected a big PR backlash for firing Coach Muschamp. Crickets.
Now I readily admit the national media hate Muschamp and looooove Martin, but the fact is our basketball program is invisible. Coach Martin gets fired tomorrow and it is a one day story IMO. A couple hours spent on how terrible South Carolina Basketball always is and we can never ever get a coach as good as the wonderful builder Frank Martin and then on to who's next to get fired?
FTR I am hoping he retires and is not fired and FTR I doubt RayRay has the stones to fire Coach Martin this year anyway.

No I wrote a quick python alogorithm fed with enough random data points just to make sure it was accurate, do you even know what that is, I'm pretty sure you don't.

Hooo code language. Not really into Python, I find it pretty simple, so I see why you like it. I was into LISP and Prolog before I got into teaching. Cool reference though.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think the PR hit would be much. We all expected a big PR backlash for firing Coach Muschamp. Crickets.
Now I readily admit the national media hate Muschamp and looooove Martin, but the fact is our basketball program is invisible. Coach Martin gets fired tomorrow and it is a one day story IMO. A couple hours spent on how terrible South Carolina Basketball always is and we can never ever get a coach as good as the wonderful builder Frank Martin and then on to who's next to get fired?
FTR I am hoping he retires and is not fired and FTR I doubt RayRay has the stones to fire Coach Martin this year anyway.
I'd rather the separation be amicable too.

Reactions: PC31
I do not know what is wrong with SC basketball. It feels like many SC players struggle. Why? Do they lack the skills to compete in the SEC, are they a poor fit for Martin's coaching and playing styles, do they lack something else (e.g., character, work ethic). Are Martin and his coaches poor teachers? I don't know the answer, but I believe a competent AD should help his or her coaches identify and address areas of concern. If Martin needs to hire recruiters, talent evaluators, teachers, etc., go get them.

With the exception of the final four year, it feels like the same story year after year.

I do not know what is wrong with SC basketball. It feels like many SC players struggle. Why? Do they lack the skills to compete in the SEC, are they a poor fit for Martin's coaching and playing styles, do they lack something else (e.g., character, work ethic). Are Martin and his coaches poor teachers? I don't know the answer, but I believe a competent AD should help his or her coaches identify and address areas of concern. If Martin needs to hire recruiters, talent evaluators, teachers, etc., go get them.

With the exception of the final four year, it feels like the same story year after year.
The AD may not be able to personally rectify the specific issues, but is (or should be) in a position to obtain the resources to help said coach.

I think the major problem with the program is simply recruiting. We do not recruit at a level needed to compete at the SEC level. I know we have some really good players on the roster, but every year, recruiting remains the same. We get the attention of 4* or greater level prospects, yet we never sign them. Our recruiting class is at least 40 points down from where it should be (~60 to 70th class ranking).

I have been hoping that Martin would make the changes to deal with this issue, but nothing ever seems to change. Why would anyone think things will change? Give me a reason, please!

I think the major problem with the program is simply recruiting. We do not recruit at a level needed to compete at the SEC level. I know we have some really good players on the roster, but every year, recruiting remains the same. We get the attention of 4* or greater level prospects, yet we never sign them. Our recruiting class is at least 40 points down from where it should be (~60 to 70th class ranking).

I have been hoping that Martin would make the changes to deal with this issue, but nothing ever seems to change. Why would anyone think things will change? Give me a reason, please!
He did makes some changes - Chuck Martin and Bruce Shingler. It has not helped. We just don't have enough pieces at the same time.

Reactions: ansoncock
He did makes some changes - Chuck Martin and Bruce Shingler. It has not helped. We just don't have enough pieces at the same time.

Maybe I am a sucker, but I would be willing to give Coach Frank Martin a couple years to see if he can recruit better.

I do not see Benson or Minot as being able to help the team any time soon, however. After AJ leaves, where is the offensive fire power?

Maybe I am a sucker, but I would be willing to give Coach Frank Martin a couple years to see if he can recruit better.

I do not see Benson or Minot as being able to help the team any time soon, however. After AJ leaves, where is the offensive fire power?

A couple more years to see if he can recruit? Why do you think he'd start now?

I don't think so either. (Benson or Minot)

Leveque is a nice addition. Not someone who will get 15 ppg and 10 rpg but he can give you some minutes and he is big. McCreary, Frink and Keyshawn will be back so that's 4 pieces out of 5. Hannibal is too reckless with the ball and Moss is not a starter. We don't have anyone who can shoot or anyone to run the team. (Unless Seventh wants to come back next year.) Minaya has not been a scorer this year.

For next year to be an improvement, Hannibal has to mature into a PG and someone else has to step up as a consistent scorer.

Has anyone listened to Martin this past week being interviewed? Sounds like he is well aware he is on the hot seat with fans and is firmly pointing his finger in the players direction. Really took some shots at Lawson.

He made it clear, he isn't part of the problem. 100% on covid and the players.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
A tialybot ess
The McGuire
teams, as fun to watch as they could be. were regular season wonders...
post seadon blunders.
In those days, it didn’t matter what you did in the regular season. The ACC Champ was the tourney winner. As Frank has shown, any team can have a hot run and win a tourney. One year our best player John Roche was playing on one leg

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results.

Has anyone listened to Martin this past week being interviewed? Sounds like he is well aware he is on the hot seat with fans and is firmly pointing his finger in the players direction. Really took some shots at Lawson.

He made it clear, he isn't part of the problem. 100% on covid and the players.
I like coaches who praise the team for winning and blame themselves for losing. If it is a player (or players) fault you deal with it in private.

5 wins is going to be difficult to defend. Covid or no Covid.

But I think Ray will want to go with that excuse. After the debacle of the football coaching search, I doubt Ray has the stomach for another coaching hire in the only other major sport. Now maybe the total dumpster fire the program has become, and with no light at the end of the tunnel, somebody above Ray may force the issue. But I doubt it. Total apathy has set in. The board and the decision makers are just happy to cash that SEC check while running football and basketball like we are in the Sun Belt

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT