ADVERTISEMENT

Mens Bball news picking up

Casually brag? You made a pointed statement of lacking hobbies, I pointed out in fact I do have several, including climbing mountains, a response is bragging?
Obviously not since you haven’t done it in months which probably explains why you get so upset

Why don’t you take a hike 😎

Reactions: carolinamyke
Maybe Ray Tanner should ask Dawn Staley what we should do. Seriously. If you have a championship team why would you ask her WTF she would do?

Ray has won more NCs and played for more than Dawn. Dawn can go and argue politics on Twitter with Gamecock fans.

USC doesn't need Dawn for advice. They need a real athletic director

So Kornblut tweeted last night USC will not extend Martin's contract a year, and no one in the know will refute.

Today, because of Martin's early days, I guess, ESPN mentions Martin in association with the newly opened Boston College job. Here is the tweet, but its a pay article so I know no more than that. Interesting presser coming up, I would assume.

Its been my opinion Frank might take some time off. Maybe not?

This isn't a message to Carolina fans or Frank Martin. This is a message to Ray Tanner from the board not to extend Martin's contract and to start putting together a retirement package before the end of this so-called season.

Time to move on and get another coach who can do the job...

I just feel that Frank Martin is a dated coach for the times. This is not the Big 10 in the 80’s when you had Gene Keady, Judd Heathcoate, and Bobby Knight trying to will kids to win through fear. Kids today just don’t respond well to that sort of instruction for the most part. Sadly, my feelings about this hire from the beginning are playing out. I would like our program to win. Unfortunately, some seem to value the image of not being wusses over winning.

In my books it was never right to will players through fear. Only now it is being called out. Frank needs to change this brash style of coaching.

There is getting your butt chewed out for screwing up which is acceptable and then there is whatever you call it that Frank does.I know some coaches who get in your face but they do it and then move on to coaching the team.Frank just chews out and never gets to the coaching part.

There is getting your butt chewed out for screwing up which is acceptable and then there is whatever you call it that Frank does.I know some coaches who get in your face but they do it and then move on to coaching the team.Frank just chews out and never gets to the coaching part.

I think you're wrong about that. Do I believe Frank could lighten up? Yes I do, and I've said so, but there's no doubt he gets a lot of coaching done.

Huggins made Kansas State a place to be. Huggins brought in players to win right away, 23 wins his first year. He set the program up for success. It's really not hard to see. You think Bill Walker goes to Kansas State if it were not for Bob Huggins? You really think Beasley would have even thought about Kansas State had Huggins not been the coach that recruited him?
Huggins didn't recruit Beasley to KSU. Huggins hired Dalonte Hill from Charlotte and made him the highest-paid assistant coach in the country. Beasley decommitted from Charlotte and followed Hill to KSU. Hill coached the DC Assault AAU team and brought a lot of players to KSU.

If we let Martin go, does anyone believe we could get a coach who has been in the final four within the past 5 years to come here? If you do think so, please give us names and reasons because I certainly do not think that would happen. We would likely be getting some up and coming assistant who has never been a HC, which- if the reception Beamer got on this forum from some of the more vocal morons circulating is any indication- would not be received by many as an upgrade. I’d be all for a change if we had an exciting hire waiting in the wings. We do not... As such it would certainly be three steps back before we see any steps forward (if we ever do). Martin has not been my favorite coach, I wish we were doing better but the covid complications we have seen coupled with his recent success on a level we have never seen here means the job is his if he wants to return next year. Assuming next year is more normal, if we do not make the dance then, I feel confident a change will be seriously considered if not guaranteed...
I really don't care if we can get a coach that has been to the final four in the last 5 years. I want someone that is going to take us to the tournament in the future.

M.D. has led Michigan State to the CFP. Does that mean we should have hired him to lead our football team?⁸

A few years ago I went to a concert at CLA. During intermission Frank stepped outside his personal suite. He and friends and family were enjoying the concert as well. No problem, except that it was just a few days before we played Clemson. I remember thinking that Frank should be watching film on Clemson that night. I really thought that after we lost that game to Clemson. Some people equate Frank to “old school” Bobby Knight because they both have hot tempers. It’s one thing to be passionate about winning, but it’s another thing to be frustrated because you didn’t prepare well enough.

Huggins didn't recruit Beasley to KSU. Huggins hired Dalonte Hill from Charlotte and made him the highest-paid assistant coach in the country. Beasley decommitted from Charlotte and followed Hill to KSU. Hill coached the DC Assault AAU team and brought a lot of players to KSU.

Right Huggins recruited and hired his coach. My point it bringing it up was Beasley was NOT a Martin recruit as some like to claim.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I don’t think you’re wrong. My belief is he does a lot of good coaching in practice and behind closed doors.
I'm with you on that.I think Frank does a good job of coaching his guys in practice and getting them better.I just wish in games he'd spend about 5 seconds getting his point to the player getting reamed and move on.There's a fine line between coaching hard and overdoing it and In think Frank overdoes it at times.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
I think Thornwell missed 5-6 games early in the year.

We were ranked 15 weeks out of that season we were also ranked 11 weeks the season before and got screwed out of a bid

It wasnt a flash in the pan, that narrative is just not true at all
I do think a lot of folks forget we had our best regular season in program history the year before the final 4 run and got screwed out of a bid. We were baaaaad when Frank took over. We had a nice stretch of 2 years sandwiched between too teams right about .500. Last years team was likely NIT bound but who knows maybe we make a run in the SEC tourny.

I'm torn, this year has been beyond disappointing and was a NCAAs or bust season in my mind (despite the media picking us to finish 8th in SEC). That being said COVID hit us harder than almost anyone in the country and I do think despite this season our program is in a better spot than in 2012. We've gone to the postseason 20 times in our history. Frank has two of those and would've had a third trip last year. We've had 6 .500 or better seasons in a row (not great but hasn't been done here since Frank McGuire was coach) I really don't understand how our bball program has been so poor located in a talent hotbed with the resources we have. Hoping for better days soon.

Reactions: caughtlookin
I really don't care if we can get a coach that has been to the final four in the last 5 years. I want someone that is going to take us to the tournament in the future.

M.D. has led Michigan State to the CFP. Does that mean we should have hired him to lead our football team?⁸
Maybe... You missed my point entirely though. Any hire we make right now will have a less impressive resume than the man we are firing. It is just as risky to let him go with no plan as it is to keep him.

Also, he had 6 consecutive winning seasons coming into this year, and it literally took a pandemic to derail that (potentially)- does anyone think we are really going to fire him right now? WANT TO? I get that... But does anyone actually think we WILL?

Maybe... You missed my point entirely though. Any hire we make right now will have a less impressive resume than the man we are firing. It is just as risky to let him go with no plan as it is to keep him.

Also, he had 6 consecutive winning seasons coming into this year, and it literally took a pandemic to derail that (potentially)- does anyone think we are really going to fire him right now? WANT TO? I get that... But does anyone actually think we WILL?
So you think the Covid derailed his winning seasons? This is where I struggle. If we're in the ballpark of a winning record and were improving, I may agree. We are a pretty bad team right now with some decent talent.

I can come up with a plan but my plan is irrelevant. Ray gets paid to put winning teams on the court. He needs to figure it out. When I suggest winning, I don't mean a winning % barely over .500. I am talking an NCAA tournament appearance every 3-4 years.

Alabama and Arkansas recently found coaches with less impressive resumes than Frank's. They seem to be doing fine.

Sometime a coach gets stale and the fan base loses hope. I think we are quickly approaching this point.

6 winning seasons while true, is only due to wins over D2 teams, let that sink in.

I am so sick and tired of the "we wont hire anyone better" BS. If that were true, we would not even be talking about hiring a new coach!

Oh and the covid excuse, EVERYONE is dealing with it. Our ladies program, who share a building, have not had any issues that I can remember. Martin has had it twice! Poor management by the men's basketball team leadership.

So you think the Covid derailed his winning seasons? This is where I struggle. If we're in the ballpark of a winning record and were improving, I may agree. We are a pretty bad team right now with some decent talent.

I can come up with a plan but my plan is irrelevant. Ray gets paid to put winning teams on the court. He needs to figure it out. When I suggest winning, I don't mean a winning % barely over .500. I am talking an NCAA tournament appearance every 3-4 years.

Alabama and Arkansas recently found coaches with less impressive resumes than Frank's. They seem to be doing fine.

Sometime a coach gets stale and the fan base loses hope. I think we are quickly approaching this point.

I don't disagree with how disappointing the season has been. It certainly has been. And the teams performance is on Frank, no one else. Ray is not paid to put winning teams on the court. His job is much more than that. Much.

Without a competitive team, ticket sales tank and your fans become uninterested. Without a winning program, it becomes just like men's soccer.

Last edited:
I started this thread with a seemingly debunked "scoop" from my audio Biology classmate from USC days, Phil Cornblut. I think that's the class we shared.

Additionally, nobody at another school is coming after Frank.

Also, he says he's not retiring, and he's energized.

Ok...in the interest of accurate info, I admit I have been wrong about all of these things.

I have not been wrong about the lack of progress, but, hey, I have lost interest.

I'll never liked his court demeanor or style of play, but folks like him as a person.

That's saying something.

Keep Frank. It's clearly what a lot of fans want. Save the money. End the speculation. At some point, one of these times when he says, "I don't know why thats happening," maybe he will figure out something's not working on the court.

But, no big deal.

Batter up!

Last edited:

This is not true if you look at the totality of the record.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I just get tired watching a BB team where none of the players can make an open 15 footer or never make 70% of their FT's. So it's usually not much view time. Why give a coach 3 mil a year for this?

We only have several on the roster who are now playing at the SEC level. The most recent additions have not shown me they are very likely to become SEC level players. This is the way I see it. Am I missing something?

Go back and watch how this team played at LSU this season when Frank wasn't on the sideline and that should tell you all you need to know. They looked more relaxed and played a pretty good game on the road. They lost but looked as good as I have seen this year in that game. They got beat on the boards because we only have one big guy right now.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Go back and watch how this team played at LSU this season when Frank wasn't on the sideline and that should tell you all you need to know. They looked more relaxed and played a pretty good game on the road. They lost but looked as good as I have seen this year in that game. They got beat on the boards because we only have one big guy right now.

I thought the same thing.

Nobody is coming to hire Martin. Give it up.

And he's not retiring. Why would he? He's making lots of money.

Frank Martin is our coach for the foreseeable future.
If true I won’t be around to watch. I can’t stand him. Evidently a lot of recruits feel as I do too.

Reactions: Sumptacock
Frank Martin:

"He’s known throughout college basketball for yelling at players much more than for his strategy or charisma. One 2010 profile describes his “death stare” and “pit bull temperament,” and also throws in “fiery” and “infamous for a two-word profanity.” (And that profile was in the New York Times.) To some, the guy has become less coach and more caricature – someone who belongs in a singlet and not a suit."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT