ADVERTISEMENT

Meyers

USCAndy

Jan 2, 2003
I'm sorry, but I don't want him back. Hope Kingston has someone else in mind. It stinks that we couldn't get USF's pitching coach. Tired of Meyers same old same old philosophy. Let's only use two or three guys out of the pen and that's it.

I'm sorry, but I don't want him back. Hope Kingston has someone else in mind. It stinks that we couldn't get USF's pitching coach. Tired of Meyers same old same old philosophy. Let's only use two or three guys out of the pen and that's it.

I'm worried about Sammy coming back and coaching us...

I think Kingston will keep a tight leash on him..

Last edited:
Meyers and Esposito should both go. A new coach shouldnt have to retain Tanners guys.They've been on the payroll long enough. It was like Elliott getting to keep his job for one year with Muschamp.
He probably doesn't have to keep anybody from the Chad staff but he might. Then again a new broom sweeps clean and he cleans house. I think the main one who needed out was Chad maybe the others Kingston can rehab. The team lost confidence and swagger this man oozes it.

I think the problem with Meyers, he was a head coach and Chad was starting out as a head coach and Chad being a nice guy may have let Meyers have too much control of pitching staff without any input from the head coach...

Meyers and Esposito should both go. A new coach shouldnt have to retain Tanners guys.They've been on the payroll long enough. It was like Elliott getting to keep his job for one year with Muschamp.
I don't think he will be compelled to keep anybody, but he'd better bring some real talent to the coaching functions.

I'm just hoping he brings Mike Current from USF, since he didn't get the head job there. Hitting Coach, and a good one!

Reactions: titaniumspur
We need a batting coach, pitching hasnt been the biggest problem. The close games we lost that many will blame on the bullpen could just as easily be blamed on batting with runners in scoring position

We need a batting coach, pitching hasnt been the biggest problem. The close games we lost that many will blame on the bullpen could just as easily be blamed on batting with runners in scoring position
Roger that we had far too many bases juiced with no outs and left them stranded.

Baseball isn't a sport I played in high school and I know a lot less about it than football (and I probably don't know much about that).

But it always bugged me with Meyers how we would get a small group of pitchers and those were the only ones who were ever given the ball.

Really think we need someone that will work at developing more pitching depth than we have had. Even teams that aren't CWS level seem to have no trouble trotting out 5 or 6 pitchers to use in a single game. Dunno maybe that means that they aren't good or something, but you will see them bring in a lefty to pitch a lefty then immediately put in a right hander after that batter.

Keeping holdovers from the previous fired coaching regimes almost never works. God knows we have almost written the book on this type of thing. I think that a clean break has a much better chance to heal. The thing that really is mystifying..is that it usually has nothing to do with actual performance and almost always to do with friendships to people that should not be making that decision for a new coach.

Reactions: 92Pony
I think the problem with Meyers, he was a head coach and Chad was starting out as a head coach and Chad being a nice guy may have let Meyers have too much control of pitching staff without any input from the head coach...
Disagree. I think Holbrook was micromanaging everything including pitching decisions.

Baseball isn't a sport I played in high school and I know a lot less about it than football (and I probably don't know much about that).

But it always bugged me with Meyers how we would get a small group of pitchers and those were the only ones who were ever given the ball.

Really think we need someone that will work at developing more pitching depth than we have had. Even teams that aren't CWS level seem to have no trouble trotting out 5 or 6 pitchers to use in a single game. Dunno maybe that means that they aren't good or something, but you will see them bring in a lefty to pitch a lefty then immediately put in a right hander after that batter.
On the money. We had 16 pitchers on the roster this year. But one or two injuries "ruin our season". This his been Meyers "MO" forever.

Esposito has been on the sugar tit way to long. Good Lord, please, I hope our new coach doesn't go there. If so, you know for a fact that Tanner is calling the shots! Meyers to some degree is a different situation.

If Kingston wanted to endear himself to the fans, and energize them as well, he would add Toman as an assistant.

In the presser, Kingston stated that conversations with and questions for Ray would not be baseball related. Makes me think he'll put together his staff the way he wants too.

Football, with many more squad members, likely benefits more from retaining one coach to assist in transition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT