ADVERTISEMENT

Miami was the first top-10 regular season opponent for Clemmons since 2016

The schedule argument would be more believable if they got killed in the playoffs like Oklahoma does every year. Unfortunately they compete when they get there.
I don't think the schedule argument is meant to imply Clemson is not one of the best teams in America. But I suspect there are other teams out there who could win a four-team playoff but will never get the chance because they play several other playoff-contenders each year. That's not Clemson's fault - they just play who's put in front of them - but among the elite teams, they clearly have the easiest path to the playoff. Maybe some other ACC teams are beginning to come along, but it's clear that teams like UNC and Miami have been artificially inflated to make them "top 10 teams."

The B1G is riding on pre-season rankings, but the voters don't want to rank them too high until they actually play a game or two. Hence, the current rankings are a mish-mash of actual results and pre-season reputations. They can't really be compared with prior years rankings WRT what teams "deserve" to be where.

Once the B1G starts play, there will likely be big changes in the rankings. (No pun intended.)

Who would you have above them? Clemson and Georgia seem by far the most complete teams and Bama has a great offense. But after that, who would you put in the top 10? Two conferences haven't played a game yet. The Big 12 got swept by the Sunbelt and their two strong teams both are 2-2. LSU is horrible this year and couldn't move the ball 1 yard on Mizzou given 4 tries. Tennessee just got stomped and has one of the worst P5 quarterbacks. Auburn got dismantled by UGA and lost to Arkansas and everyone knows the refs were just covering for them.

I really don't see an argument for any team above those three. Cincinatti and BYU are undefeated, but do you think they'd beat those three? I don't.

So you believe Miami, UNC, ND is a top ten team? Miami had beaten 1-3 Louisville and a bad FSU team. A team that put up a total of 210 yards (70 on one drive)... Is Miami a good team? Absolutely, but probably in the 15-20 rankings, not #7 in the nation team...

Or could it be UNC... a team that beat VT in a defensive battle 56-45... Again, they have all the talent in the world but they will not play anybody with a pulse until Clemson in the championship game.

Or ND who has beaten Duke and FSU... they get ranked based on their name alone each year, what have they done to show they are a top ten team? Beat South Florida, Duke, and FSU...

Again, as I said, Clemson is head and shoulders above the rest of the ACC. They deserve their ranking. But like it or not, that is the only way that Clemson will face a ranked team prior to the playoffs is to bump a few ACC teams way up in the rankings. (It was the first team that they've played since 2016 that was ranked btw).

Reactions: carolinamyke
So you believe Miami, UNC, ND is a top ten team? Miami had beaten 1-3 Louisville and a bad FSU team. A team that put up a total of 210 yards (70 on one drive)... Is Miami a good team? Absolutely, but probably in the 15-20 rankings, not #7 in the nation team...

Or could it be UNC... a team that beat VT in a defensive battle 56-45... Again, they have all the talent in the world but they will not play anybody with a pulse until Clemson in the championship game.

Or ND who has beaten Duke and FSU... they get ranked based on their name alone each year, what have they done to show they are a top ten team? Beat South Florida, Duke, and FSU...

Again, as I said, Clemson is head and shoulders above the rest of the ACC. They deserve their ranking. But like it or not, that is the only way that Clemson will face a ranked team prior to the playoffs is to bump a few ACC teams way up in the rankings. (It was the first team that they've played since 2016 that was ranked btw).
I believe it was the first time they played somebody Ranked in the top 10 not some body ranked in the top 25.

Would you support adding Clemson to the SEC to mitigate their chances of making the playoffs? If not, what is the point of this thread?

It is a fact that teams in the ACC, Big 12, and PAC 12 all have easier paths to the playoffs. The tradeoff is that they get less resources (TV payout money) than teams in the B1G & SEC.

Clemson goes out and beats the teams that are in front of them. Beyond that, there is not much else they can do.

Reactions: Marionman1973
I agree that Clemson just plays who's on their schedule. Here is where they have a distinct advantage IMO: they play very little competition, which allows them to rest their starters (thus avoiding more chances for injuries) and, maybe more importantly, get their backups lots of valuable playing time.

Alabama, Georgia, us, SEC schools rarely have a chance to start backups in 3rd Q. Clemson gets to do that at least several times during the season. Big advantage in building quality depth.

Reactions: USC2USC
Besides some rando on twitters information... who since 2016 from the ACC? I know they've played ranked teams in the playoffs, but don't think there has been any in conference.
David Hale is a reporter for ESPN who covers . . . college football. The teams and the dates they were played are on the chart I posted. Is it an SEC schedule? No. But it is not dog food either and they have handled their business to the tune of being 22-3 over that time period with 2 of those wins coming against Alabama.

I agree that Clemson just plays who's on their schedule. Here is where they have a distinct advantage IMO: they play very little competition, which allows them to rest their starters (thus avoiding more chances for injuries) and, maybe more importantly, get their backups lots of valuable playing time.

Alabama, Georgia, us, SEC schools rarely have a chance to start backups in 3rd Q. Clemson gets to do that at least several times during the season. Big advantage in building quality depth.
alabama was second last year in playing the 2 and 3 deep.

Have not seen that . If so we would see Ohio state in top 5.
I don’t believe any in those conferences are ranked yet

You don’t have to go on “belief“ here. You can actually confirm it for yourself by using the fancy google machine.

N.C. State actually played Virginia better than the taters.
But going forward who do the taters actually play ? Syracuse and Duke and Georgia tech etc.
Big yawn
Notre Dame is mainly just the name at this point as well

Miami is awful. Even though the score was basically the same, thanks to a gift FG block, UVa looked much better against CU, with a completely green QB in his second start. I honestly would like our chances against Miami with our current players.......if we could just borrow a staff from some other team for the weekend. Doesn’t even have to be Clemmons

Reactions: GCDC1959
David Hale is a reporter for ESPN who covers . . . college football. The teams and the dates they were played are on the chart I posted. Is it an SEC schedule? No. But it is not dog food either and they have handled their business to the tune of being 22-3 over that time period with 2 of those wins coming against Alabama.

Again, I think everyone understands Clemson is great football team. They deserve their ranking and until someone else can come in take them down in the ACC they are tops of the conference. Just not sure that the rankings that are being given out right now to many of the ACC teams are any indication of the conference's strength. As I said from the top of this thread... Miami, NC, and ND are not top ten teams. Should they be ranked? Yes, but they are not top ten teams.
Clemson will blow out ND and UNC. Most likely will be favored in both (if UNC makes the conference championship) by 4 pts minimum.

Again, I think everyone understands Clemson is great football team. They deserve their ranking and until someone else can come in take them down in the ACC they are tops of the conference. Just not sure that the rankings that are being given out right now to many of the ACC teams are any indication of the conference's strength. As I said from the top of this thread... Miami, NC, and ND are not top ten teams. Should they be ranked? Yes, but they are not top ten teams.
Clemson will blow out ND and UNC. Most likely will be favored in both (if UNC makes the conference championship) by 4 pts minimum.
I don't think anyone believes this is a normal AP ranking. It is basically 3 conferences, plus pre-season BiG and Pac-12.

As was asked previously in this thread, what is your top 10? All SEC plus Clemson?

I hate these treads because we are part of their schedule. Also we have lost recently to UVA, UNC and Clemson.
While that is very true....you won't find a whole lot of us saying that we're real good the last two years either. The UVA bowl game should have set off an alarm. Since then....it's been very rough.

Reactions: SCExile
Agree with this. Can't fault them for winning the games in front of them (whether it's conference, playoff or bowl games).
But...it still doesn't change 100% true stance that annually CLemson's road to that type of win %/record is way easier to obtain due to the overall conference weakness (less chance of getting upset even as the conference power), less injuries that occur (not only catastrophic injuries but the amount of individual and team bumps and bruises that you incur when you play ANY and EVERY year in the SEC conference schedule), more confidence on the field and from coaches and better attitudes/outlook from the players and coaches.

Agree with this. Can't fault them for winning the games in front of them (whether it's conference, playoff or bowl games).
But...it still doesn't change 100% true stance that annually CLemson's road to that type of win %/record is way easier to obtain due to the overall conference weakness (less chance of getting upset even as the conference power), less injuries that occur (not only catastrophic injuries but the amount of individual and team bumps and bruises that you incur when you play ANY and EVERY year in the SEC conference schedule), more confidence on the field and from coaches and better attitudes/outlook from the players and coaches.
No one argues this, except people on this board, who constantly bring it up as if it is some new revelation.

Check out the various "odds to make the playoffs" lists. Clearly, Clemson's odds to make the playoffs are at the top, but their odds to win the championship are not. This is due to the level of competition in the regular season, which makes their odds of going undefeated higher than that of any team in the SEC.

Why is this issue continually re-hashed here? It is boring. JMO.

I don't think anyone believes this is a normal AP ranking. It is basically 3 conferences, plus pre-season BiG and Pac-12.

As was asked previously in this thread, what is your top 10? All SEC plus Clemson?

I don't think but two teams from the SEC should be in the top ten (Bama and Georgia). Florida and Auburn is top 15-20 along with A&M and Tennessee being 20-25 in a normal year. Past that, I don't think any As someone mentioned above, you can't really rank these teams because you have two conferences that haven't even played... You're seeing Ohio State/Penn St. ranked compared to teams that have played 4 games already. Truthfully I wish they would do away with rankings until the first Playoff Rankings come out each year. Rankings are only put out to drive the market value of games...

Reactions: SCExile
You mean, like, the SEC top 10? LSU? Florida? Auburn? This is not saying the SEC is not good, but you cannot honestly say outside of Alabama and UGA these teams are/were not overrated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT