ADVERTISEMENT

minority candidate?

gamecockox

Sep 20, 2007
Is there any qualified minority coaches for us to consider. I know the university was questioned by some for not at least considering a minority coach during are our last two coaching searches.

Is there any qualified minority coaches for us to consider. I know the university was questioned by some for not at least considering a minority coach during are our last two coaching searches.
We didn't do a coaching search when we hired Spurrier. The deal was done during the season long before Holtz announced his resignation. What other hire were we criticized for?

What minority would Ya suggest?? And the official interviews haven't started so we will see,we already have Martin and Staley,so they can't say anything!!

Reactions: king ward
This rule is dumb,why Interview a minority just to interview one to fill a quota,that is wasting everybody's time,if a candidate is qualified race won't matter! The best candidate will be hired either way!!

I'm sorry, and I've said more than a few times it was SOS' time to go, but 11 years ago if he wanted to coach your team you say hell yes! No interview for him, some token black coach, another white coach, Asian, green, blue, purple. He's the guy, sign him asap.

This rule is dumb,why Interview a minority just to interview one to fill a quota,that is wasting everybody's time,if a candidate is qualified race won't matter! The best candidate will be hired either way!!

not saying i a disagree with you......because I don't. I just know it would wise for Coach Tanner to consider this issue when formulating a plan . I am tired of the state and the university always getting negative press about racial matters. Maybe Tanner should reach out to the black coaches association for suggestions. I think he should consider someway to demonstrate he considered minority coaches in his search!

Reactions: rocker04
These days, it doesn't matter anyway. By using search firms, universities don't have to deal with this BS.
I think nearly everyone, regardless of race, agrees these sorts of complaints and the pro-forma "quota" interviews they create, are BS. The only reason they persist is because ADs, university administrators, sports writers, and others with a platform are afraid to stand up and call it that.

If we reach out to Charlie Strong and he says thanks but no thanks, at least we tried to satisfy that argument.
What if Tanner wants Smart or Fuente or Rodriguez (Hispanic names, BTW) but we reach out to Strong instead because he's a minority and he accepts?

We want the best possible person for the job no matter the persuasion. Do NBA teams reach out to several white guys before drafting the best possible player?

Plus it's insulting to a black coach to interview him when he knows he's not the guy. I don't know why they'd want that.

Last edited:
But then, if Strong turns out to be the best candidate available and he wants it, Then I'd want him.

Tell the Steelers and Mike Tomlin it is dumb. They have come right out and said they had another guy in mind before hiring him, but they interviewed Tomlin because of their own "Rooney Rule" and we're so impressed they hired him... He has already added a SB ring to his resume since, so I'd say that hire turned out pretty well.

Do I agree with it? Was I a fan of it? Does it make sense to ME? Doesn't matter... The truth is this is an NFL "rule"/ VOLUNTARY rule, not a college one.... It is common courtesy I suppose in some people's eyes, but nothing to get worked up about.

Reactions: rpp2001
As already stated, offer the job to Coach Strong. If we are lucky he will take it. If not we move on without any stupid restrictions.

Reactions: armtex
Good lord we got local media and fans pushing hard to promote Sean Elliott who has done nothing but provide Carolina with mediocre offensive lines and get real excited, but you are against Charlie Strong? A PROVEN head coach? One who probably will not give us the time of day?

I'm all for a minority candidate if he is truly the best candidate but I think at times the BCA is more concerned with getting their name in the news than anything. Niumatalolo, and say Norm Chow, and I'll make up one, Javier Hernandez likely wouldn't be considered a minority hire to them. I could not care less what color Strong is, he doesn't need to be roaming the sidelines permanently at WB, Elliot either.....

Just need to line up Tank Black and John Blake. Hey! Who knows. We may even get lucky and hire one of them!

You consider candidates based on who would be the best. If you start just entering candidates based on their minority status alone.....that's racist. I hate it when someone says those things....You are being racist so you won't be racist....wow.

You hire the best candidates.

You ask yourself during the process, "Is there a qualified minority candidate that I should interview.?"

There is at least one, and at least one is going to be interviewed. (Alas, it won't be David Shaw. :()

I say reach out to the best candidate period. If he or she is from Iraq then so be it. Hire the best. Don't waste time on folks u aren't seriously interested in. That is a waste of time and money. I know I wouldn't want to be interviewed just to meet a quota. But I agree with the OP. We don't have enough middle eastern coaches

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT