ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzu Puts Up 72

NA Gamecock

Sep 24, 2001
Better get some defense before next week! At the minimum start out a bit better.

Last edited:
It wasn't like it was one of the good IAA teams either. They were actually out-played for most of the first half. Everyone was talking them up after they beat Delaware State 79-0 last year, and they still finished 4-8.

I believe we'll win but if they give up too many points early it'll be hard to keep up.

If they or any team can get pressure on Bentley with just the 4 down linemen we will lose. Thats the key so we will see if State is good or not next wekk

They played a bad FCS team and gave up 43. GO COCKS!!!
That statement is both true and false. They are historically bad. The previous HC didn't even bother to recruit. He just looked at video kids sent in. A few years ago they hired our former DC as head coach. I don't know if he has them where he wants to be, but he has clearly made progress.

I was at today's game. The first half reminded me of an AAU basketball game. All flash and offense, but nobody played a lick of defense. First play from scrimmage, Mizzou ran a bubble screen and with one block Jonathan Johnson was off to the EZ. Missouri State (by the way, they took that name from us. Mizzou came from MSU) really sucked on defense. The difference between them and the other cupcakes in the past is that they could score. I'm sure there are multiple factors. They actually looked good throwing the ball and got it out quickly. But still, you wouldn't expect to pass protect against an average SEC defense. That makes me think my Tigers could be below average again. There are two other wildcards: playing down to your opponent and a number of first-time starters. I don't really know how much that impacted things today. Mizzou did play better D in the 3rd Q, so maybe they have more in them if they focus.

My prediction for next week (and any following week until proven otherwise) is that Mizzou is going to need to score at least 40 to win any game this year. the offense may be able to do that a few times. But really, if the Mizzou D doesn't get MUCH better, one hand will be sufficient to count our win total this year.

That statement is both true and false. They are historically bad. The previous HC didn't even bother to recruit. He just looked at video kids sent in. A few years ago they hired our former DC as head coach. I don't know if he has them where he wants to be, but he has clearly made progress.

I was at today's game. The first half reminded me of an AAU basketball game. All flash and offense, but nobody played a lick of defense. First play from scrimmage, Mizzou ran a bubble screen and with one block Jonathan Johnson was off to the EZ. Missouri State (by the way, they took that name from us. Mizzou came from MSU) really sucked on defense. The difference between them and the other cupcakes in the past is that they could score. I'm sure there are multiple factors. They actually looked good throwing the ball and got it out quickly. But still, you wouldn't expect to pass protect against an average SEC defense. That makes me think my Tigers could be below average again. There are two other wildcards: playing down to your opponent and a number of first-time starters. I don't really know how much that impacted things today. Mizzou did play better D in the 3rd Q, so maybe they have more in them if they focus.

My prediction for next week (and any following week until proven otherwise) is that Mizzou is going to need to score at least 40 to win any game this year. the offense may be able to do that a few times. But really, if the Mizzou D doesn't get MUCH better, one hand will be sufficient to count our win total this year.

Thank you good Sir, for your insight. That final score was a little surprising to say the lest. Let's just hope for a good, injury free game, and may the best team win.

We all wrote off Miss St last year after getting beaten by that small team from Alabama.
They beat us badly.

We need to play better D every week...and RUN THE BALL.

Yea, Missouri scored a bunch. But you might have had about as good an indication of their prowess if they had played one of the better high school teams in the area. Actually was more surprised they they gave up so many points to such an underwhelming opponent

Yea, Missouri scored a bunch. But you might have had about as good an indication of their prowess if they had played one of the better high school teams in the area. Actually was more surprised they they gave up so many points to such an underwhelming opponent

Actually you can tell a lot by watching regardless of the opponent. Lock's accuracy and timing are better than last year and the receivers are holding on to the ball better. You can't tell how the new players on the OL are going to do longer-term. Nobody to challenge them. I don't expect us to score 70 again, but I do expect us to score a lot this year.

On D we were the keystone cops. I can't really tell you why. We were breaking in a few new guys, but there was at least one returning player at every position on the 2-deep. Hopefully film study shames these guys into doing a better job of preparing mentally. I have some hope that they can be better since they only gave up 8 points in the 2nd half. If getting used by a FCS offense for a half is what it takes to wake these guys up, then it's worth it. Still, it feels like their ceiling is "average". I expect USC to put up some points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT