ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp: 2020 run scheme will be "drastically different"

I first began on sports forums back when we were hoping McGee could land Holtz. I was excited at what I thought would be the concept; guys who had played a good bit of football or whatever sport, guys with maybe some inside info.

Ha; my bad. Quickly found that out.

You guys are like the guy you play golf with that's having a bad day that wants to make sure everyone else is miserable too.

I think its good news; excellent news actually.

But wutevs.

I first began on sports forums back when we were hoping McGee could land Holtz. I was excited at what I thought would be the concept; guys who had played a good bit of football or whatever sport, guys with maybe some inside info.

Ha; my bad. Quickly found that out.

You guys are like the guy you play golf with that's having a bad day that wants to make sure everyone else is miserable too.

I think its good news; excellent news actually.

But wutevs.

In their defense, we’ve heard Muschamp talk about change / different looks. Then nothing has changed, or at least the results haven’t. I get it if we had won 7-8 games last year. But it’s hard to find much positive off of the season we had last year with a coach who seems to underachieve quite a bit in his 8 years as a head coach, and doesn’t really change.

I feel the skepticism here is warranted. Most fan’s will believe it when they see it. Hard to argue against that right now.

In their defense, we’ve heard Muschamp talk about change / different looks. Then nothing has changed, or at least the results haven’t. I get it if we won’t 7-8 games last year. It’s hard to find much positive off of the season we had last year with a coach who seems to underachieve quite a bit in his 8 years as a head coach.

Yep. Muschamp has been a broken record with comments about committing to the run. Being stubborn in the run game. Asserting our will in the run game.

But we never do any of that.

Talk about last-century football. Saban is now flinging it around. Kirby just hired Monken to sling it around. Our maestro hires Bobo to conduct his run-first scheme. Against the SEC and Clemson it just won’t work. Clemson too slings it around first. Generally you set up the run with the passing game. See LSU’s recent success. They had to change.

More to the point. It is, and always will be, a game of strategy. How do I attack? Where are my opponents weaknesses? Do I fake my first opening drives with runs when my strength is the pass to have my opponent guessing? Never allow my opponent to see my tendencies so that I can be exploited. We were so predictable In the recent past you could almost always see what was coming. The dour head down, grind it out push forward with the run is done. WM cannot see otherwise. Honestly, reading WM’s comments is very demotivating. You never say you want to be balanced. Sometimes you need to pass more, sometimes run more to exploit the D. Sometimes you need to pass, pass, pass. Let the flow of the game and your opponent’s play dictate that.

Spurrier was damn good at strategy. It is how you attack, always keeping an element of surprise. Keeps the D nervous and off balance. This is why coaches like Leach, with no star players, succeed, and develop these players into stars. Strategy.

Last edited:
In their defense, we’ve heard Muschamp talk about change / different looks. Then nothing has changed, or at least the results haven’t. I get it if we had won 7-8 games last year. But it’s hard to find much positive off of the season we had last year with a coach who seems to underachieve quite a bit in his 8 years as a head coach, and doesn’t really change.

I feel the skepticism here is warranted. Most fan’s will believe it when they see it. Hard to argue against that right now.
"At the end of the day" (to steal a BOOM!-ism) they do what they can with the personnel they have. If we use a fullback or an H back in the run game, would that be drastically different? I'm really unimpressed with the 1-page playbook we've had ever since he got here.

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
Sorry to change the subject but just saw where Tennessee has basically filled their class up just now with their 24th commitment.Has anyone ever filled their class up before June 1st?

At least we’ll know he’ll go back and evaluate if our run game sucks after the first two games.
The run game will look good after the first two games. We are playing Coastal then East Carolina so we will look good on the ground. And that will get everybody riled up, and talking about our new backs like they’re the next Lattimore or Mike Davis. Then we have Missouri for the third game and Kentucky the fourth, the Wildcats will let us know how good our Backfield is gonna be for real.

The run game will look good after the first two games. We are playing Coastal then East Carolina so we will look good on the ground. And that will get everybody riled up, and talking about our new backs like they’re the next Lattimore or Mike Davis. Then we have Missouri for the third game and Kentucky the fourth, the Wildcats will let us know how good our Backfield is gonna be for real.
Agree. We'll know all we need to know by week 4 or so. Personally, I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: SOSUSC and Brace1
Will we be able to move the ball against Sunbelt teams now? Asking for a friend.
giphy.gif

Well I can’t wait to see what kind of offensive wizardry comes from the brain of Will Muschamp . Kinda like getting financial advise from a Turnip

Reactions: Brace1
You are aware of the run game stats from App State last year right?

Reactions: DetroitCock
You are aware of the run game stats from App State last year right?
Yes I know about the stats from the App State game. Hopefully will do better than that against Coastal Carolina, if we don’t “it’s gonna be a long year.” I was not saying we would have a strong run game; I was saying after the first four games we should know how we’re gonna look. I don’t trust Muschamp at all, but I’m giving Bobo and Kitchings the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Talk about last-century football. Saban is now flinging it around...
Saban has embraced the mobile QB...as has just about every other team that finished in the Top 10....including our 3X 11 win teams from a few years back.

One would think a HC on the hot seat would be desperate...but Muschamp hires a drop back passer guy.

Talk about last-century football. Saban is now flinging it around. Kirby just hired Monken to sling it around. Our maestro hires Bobo to conduct his run-first scheme. Against the SEC and Clemson it just won’t work. Clemson too slings it around first. Generally you set up the run with the passing game. See LSU’s recent success. They had to change.

More to the point. It is, and always will be, a game of strategy. How do I attack? Where are my opponents weaknesses? Do I fake my first opening drives with runs when my strength is the pass to have my opponent guessing? Never allow my opponent to see my tendencies so that I can be exploited. We were so predictable In the recent past you could almost always see what was coming. The dour head down, grind it out push forward with the run is done. WM cannot see otherwise. Honestly, reading WM’s comments is very demotivating. You never say you want to be balanced. Sometimes you need to pass more, sometimes run more to exploit the D. Sometimes you need to pass, pass, pass. Let the flow of the game and your opponent’s play dictate that.

Spurrier was damn good at strategy. It is how you attack, always keeping an element of surprise. Keeps the D nervous and off balance. This is why coaches like Leach, with no star players, succeed, and develop these players into stars. Strategy.

yes, we needed to go to more of a spread attack. Get guys in space. Instead we are putting the qb under center. I don’t get it.

Amazing how many "changes" are going to occur now that his job is on the line.

I think will changes a lot. I think he believes he’s a better coach than he really is. He needs to understand no matter what coordinator is in there, his offenses haven’t worked. He needs to give up control at this point in his career and it’s probably too late.

That being said, our run scheme did suck. Our whole offensive attack has sucked. I can’t identify what we are trying to do offensively. No identity. Everything we do looks difficult as $hit. Other teams throw quick to a WR and have two blockers there and plenty of room to run. We throw it and our star WR has to make 2 men miss to gain 5 yards.

Muschamp needs to let Bobo run that offense. I’m not sure Bobo is the guy that can save his career though. I’m not sure anybody was going to do that in just one season. He needed to hire that guy and make that decision when he hired McClendon. Not to mention we now are relying on young, inexperienced back to succeed in this new scheme. It can work, but will be more difficult.

Muschamp’s best hope to continue is Caslen and the BOD. They’ll have to fire Muschamp because Tanner is tied to him. I’d imagine the plan is in place and they have an expectation he must meet. The Brad Edwards deal says a lot. It was embarrassing but notice he never came on. The writing is on the wall though...I’d say he’s on speed dial.

yes, we needed to go to more of a spread attack. Get guys in space. Instead we are putting the qb under center. I don’t get it.
Probably not under center a whole lot of the time. Just an option. Like when we need to gain 2 yards and we line up in the shotgun with one RB. The RB takes the handoff and the DL and LBs have extra time to react and plug the holes. In those instances we need a formation with QB under center.

Last edited:

The only thing with Leach is he hasn't won any conference championships, just a few bowl games.

If he hasn't already, Ray needs to tell Will to stay so far from offensive meetings that he forgets what Bobo's voice sounds like. He also needs to stop trying to manage time near the end of half and 4th qtr. He sucks at it.

If he hasn't already, Ray needs to tell Will to stay so far from offensive meetings that he forgets what Bobo's voice sounds like. He also needs to stop trying to manage time near the end of half and 4th qtr. He sucks at it.

Ray is a coach and there’s no way he’s telling Muschamp that as he would never want to be told that. Not to mention, that’s not Ray’s job. His job is to hire the right coach that he doesn’t have to tell stuff like that. He botched the hiring process badly. I get a guy making the wrong hire...but hiring a guy like Muschamp that has already failed miserably at a program it’s easier to win at, Tanner was living and dying with him at that point.

Right now Tanner is just being the ultimate encourager. He knows baseball, not football. He’s Muschamp’s biggest fan because his life is on the line. He has no control any longer.

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
He needs to be locked out of those meetings and have his headset taken from him in games when our offense is on the field.

Probably not under center a whole lot of the time. Just an option. Like when we need to gain 2 yards and we line up in the shotgun with one RB. The RB takes the handoff and the DL and LBs have extra time to react and plug the holes. In those instances we need a formation with QB under center.

that is not the way I have read it. Based on Ryan and Bobos comments, it sounded like much more under center. I hope you are right and I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Well unless we totally tank Champ is going nowhere.With the way Rona is affecting the economics, he would have to have a repeat of last year.I definitely see us with 6 wins come hell or high water. Call me crazy I don't care

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT